It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What are we?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Are we immortal spiritual beings housed in a temporary vessel of crude matter, or just meat that can think?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   
what do YOU feel?

it's ignorant to assume we're just merely biological. What holds us together? What gives us the electromagnetic charge?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
“You are not a human being in search of a spiritual experience. You are a spiritual being immersed in a human experience.”

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by jvm222

I am undecided, which is why I posted this. Part of me likes the idea that the body is a manifestation of the mind, but some times I feel that we are just biological constructs to replicate DNA, and that our self exists merely to facilitate that end. I WANT to believe the former.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I know we're humans.
I know what we do.
I know our basic function.
I know our needs.
I know where I came from (sort of).
I know what I like and what I don't like.

But even as I know all of that, I still have no idea what I am. I know what others have told me I am, but I've found that that is a misidentification.

I believe that we can't identify ourselves as something and it be what we really are. I believe that at the moment of conceptualizing, the truth fades. I believe we think we can come close to proper identification, but we inevitably always miss the mark. So therefore, any conceptualization about anything only serves to demean the truth of what it is. So what do you say you are? Is this even knowable?

I think it is knowable, but only in the moment. Only when you are where you are in full mind can you see the truth. You won't know what to call it, and calling it anything will distort it, but you will at least see it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Look at the various forms of life and their shape. Its beautiful.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
@What are we?

Eternal energies that travel various dimensional plains of Existence thru the phases of Life and Death that sometimes become aware and other times remain non aware depending on the location and influence over you..

NAMASTE*******

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by openminded2011
Are we immortal spiritual beings housed in a temporary vessel of crude matter, or just meat that can think?

cant u see that u r saying the same there? what difference does it make? if u r immortal or mortal? u r not

how the fact that u dont die make u existing more? u would b just more thing made forever

it is better to b a thing for a while

the right question would b, r we free or r we slaves to others free or r we never?

the answer would not b about eternity, and that is why u dont ask it in those terms
u want to know if u can live forever if there is a heaven to profit from

it is amazing how for most profiting is freedom fallacy that work for conscious stands potentially evil

it is logical somehow, if logics wasnt all truth

how if u receive all then u r getting u without doing any so for free then u dont have to move but in the way to affect what is coming by using its charges seen, so still getting all to b free without any effort

being free assert the right to die or to exist, existing cant b eternally when it is ur freedom that have to make it all to, there i prove how meaning eternity is meaning indirectly evil lies

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I was watching a documentary the other day about '___' which is short for Dimethyltryptamine .. it's a hallucinogen but it's also very prevalent in nature.. the components that make it up are found in pretty much everything.. it's an EXTREMELY simple compound but it causes very extreme hallucinogenic effects.. it's been dubbed "The Spirit Drug" ..

What I found interesting though, and why it's relevant to this post.. is that they conducted a study in the last few years on the effects of this drug.. many of the participants described very similar experiences of meeting beings .. and most of them described their experience as being eye opening.. they walked away from it believing strongly that consciousness is a shared thing, we all tap into a universal mind .. our bodies are merely receivers .. when we die, we remain a part of that collective .. they believe this drug allowed them to see beyond our normal dimensions and visit with other beings who also share this consciousness ..

It's a fun theory .. I have no opinion personally on whether I believe it.. I'm very science and logic minded so my gut wants to say it's just a side effect of the drug.. but the fact they shared such similar experience is compelling me to at least stay open to the idea.
edit on 2/2/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

edit on 2/2/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

It was recommended for you on Netflix wasn't it?

That's how I got roped into the same documentary about three nights back, it was pretty interesting though.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953

That's how I got roped into the same documentary about three nights back, it was pretty interesting though.

Ha .. yes it was.. I had no clue what I was getting into .. but it was interesting, a bit too long .. but interesting.. I'd never heard of '___' before that.. About the only decent thing on netflix these days ARE the documentaries

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   

That's the truth, but I'd be happy watching documentaries until the end of time, so it works for me......

I had heard of '___' on this site before, but hadn't bothered to learn much about it, so the documentary was rather eye opening.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Don't worry about what we are, you have to ask yourself what you are. You are right here and you can take a look to see what you are directly. Don't look in a book or ask some expert what you are, how would they know, they probably went to university to find out what it means to be human, and we think they will beable to tell you what you are.
Look directly to find out what you are.

Know thyself.

youtu.be...
edit on 2-2-2012 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:25 AM
link   
We're whatever we want to be, in all honesty. If we want to continue on past this life, there are ways to make your vital energy exist in others and throughout the universe, even to come back for another human experience. If we want to stop the cycle, our energy can be converted into a primordial form without consciousness, to be reused by another consciousness.

This may bring into question the purpose of life, and well, that's really the question. Life is what you make it, and what you are willing to engage others into making. I personally think that life is about creating and destroying until a harmony can be reached.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Osiris1953

Ha .. yes it was.. I had no clue what I was getting into .. but it was interesting, a bit too long .. but interesting.. I'd never heard of '___' before that.. About the only decent thing on netflix these days ARE the documentaries

I watched it too!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Varemia
We're whatever we want to be, in all honesty. If we want to continue on past this life, there are ways to make your vital energy exist in others and throughout the universe, even to come back for another human experience. If we want to stop the cycle, our energy can be converted into a primordial form without consciousness, to be reused by another consciousness.

This may bring into question the purpose of life, and well, that's really the question. Life is what you make it, and what you are willing to engage others into making. I personally think that life is about creating and destroying until a harmony can be reached.

The purpose of life is to create a purpose.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I find myself constantly torn between my knowledge of scientific data about who we are, and my religious upbringing.

If we were created by god, then that explains why we are self aware and intelligent. The bible claims that god created us in his own image, and if that is true, then it explain why we are so complicated.

If we are an accident, and are just meat that accidentally became self aware, then nature is a cruel practical jokester. The idea that we are nothing, but our own mind is somewhat unsettling to me. If this is true, then there is no reason to even stay alive. Why bother if any moment, or years from now, all that we are will cease to exist. Frightening.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I think humanity has always described itself in comparison to our current technological peak, we were the people who thought flying was impossible and now we have planes. We thought the world ended at the horizon of the ocean, and we have boats.

We thought the speed of light was faster than the speed of thought, now with computers, they're intertwined.

Humanity has a network of tiny machines in its skull that make up its brain, akin to the many distributed computer terminals connected to the internet; individually weak and together very strong, humanity has found its own mega-brain and we currently define our entire world on how we use the internet, how we use this shared brain.

Later, after humanity has a new technological toy that surpasses the computer network in importance, we will see elements of ourselves in that technology.

Humanity has always evolved to suit its environment, and we have always sought to adapt our environment to our needs.

Perhaps humanity isn't definitely one thing, perhaps our adaptability puts us at a comparison to many things. Perhaps a soul exists, but maybe it only exists if you believe it does? If you see a soul as something to reflect your own life in, then you find that its features of reflected in human history and what humans want for the future.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
i think we are nature (or earth) personified, and the earth is the universe personified, so when we die our new persona or body becomes 'earth' and our new 'plane' or 'planet' is the universe.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by remyrange

If we are an accident, and are just meat that accidentally became self aware, then nature is a cruel practical jokester. The idea that we are nothing, but our own mind is somewhat unsettling to me. If this is true, then there is no reason to even stay alive. Why bother if any moment, or years from now, all that we are will cease to exist. Frightening.

that is why i deeply shout for rights, this slavery machin feeding its owners life from uselss forced beings to act as dead must cease
but of course all i prove is evil, all is present and no least form of reply, the machin still the only purpose of all

top topics

<<   2 >>

join