It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin, Researchers Say

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by dawnstar
I'm so underweight, my doctor has griped at me about not eating.....

and well, there was a time when I did actually only eat a meal every couple of days.....

tax my sugar???
ya, go ahead and try it and see if I don't sue!!!
I spend 8 hours every day doing what I can only describe as arobic exercise at work, come home and spend a good part of the rest of my day taking care of home and hearth!!!
anyone want to take a guess what happens when you burn more calaries than you take in on a regular basis?????

well, your body starts breaking down your muscles, and you end up with a paper thin adomen and then end up with a hernia from pushing thick arse ink through a screen, and then you end up screwing with the doctors for over a year, spending a ton of money you won't earn for a couple of years while still going to work and pushing think arsed ink through a screen as part of this arobic exercise for 8 hours five days a week!!!

there wasn't as many fat people, there wasn't as many asthmatics, there wasn't as much cancer while I was growing up and well, most of the adults around me smoked, we ate fried foods that were cooked in lard, drank whole fat milk, ate real eggs, had plenty of sugar on our cereal, and real butter!!!!

it's not people's diets, it's all the chemicals, most I'd venture not even 50 years old, that have been introduced into our environment, added to our food, used to make everything from our homes to our blankets and clothes, that hadn't even been studied much before allowed to bombard us at every angle!!!
ya see while I was growing up, concern started growing over all the pollution that was being dumped in our waterways and landfills, the gov't passed laws requiring companies to dispose of such toxins properly, which the corps found to be very expensive, so they proceeded to work on a way to use these toxins in the production of our products, so they could turn them into a profit instead of a expense!!!

ya, poison the people then gripe and complain to them about how unhealthy they are.....
it's a screwed up world....a screwed up society!!

i agree 100%

this is the way it is, and they don't want to fix it.

they want us unhealthy.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:11 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I bet if you replaced that sugar with aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, Little Billy Johnson would have been Big Ol' Billy Johnson.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
reply to post by SplitInfinity

i agree with most of what you said.

now completely unrelated, something I wanted to mention.

Calories are fake in my opinion, they set some ingredients on fire and see how hot the water next to it gets.

first off, your stomach doesn't set things on FIRE on that scale or in that way!

also, everybody POOPS! you poop out lots of stuff! you don't keep everything you put in, and everybody's body is different. so calories are subjective opinions based on crapped scientific data.

you can put a number on food, but you can't account for the variables of individuality and digestion and waste.

fat is good for you people! animal fat and butter and olive oil and coconut oil are GOOD for you in the right amounts, you can eat alot and be fine, heart disease takes advantage of cholesterol, not the other way around.

bad things cause heart disease like eating nasty hydrogenated oils and chemicals, and then that takes the cholesterol in your blood and uses it against you in a way.

people used to wake up in the morning and eat:

4 eggs, ham, sausage, beef, orange juice, milk, beans, butter toast, LOTS of heavy fatty stuff thats actually good for you!

and they ate it all together and they were fine!

2012... everybody is all messed up. if you MUST drink coke, get carbonated water, add your own juices and flavor and normal sugar.

they add so much stuff to soda its not even logical.

I agree with you. Sugar is not some poison but it must be consumed in moderation. I have a cholesterol level of 180 and my HDL are high which is the good cholesterol. I use alot of Virgin Olive Oil and that tends to lower bad cholesterol...but the thing that is really bad for a person is MILLED PROCESSED FLOUR in white bred or pasta...the Human body turns this into a bad cholesterol plaque that blocks your arteries. Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by dawnstar

I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook from the 50's.

Everything is cups of sugar and pounds of straight lard.

Yet where was obesity then? Where were all the fat kids?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I bet if you replaced that sugar with aspartame or high fructose corn syrup, Little Billy Johnson would have been Big Ol' Billy Johnson.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by Brother Stormhammer

To be fair, it's unrealistic for a modern day person to be this active unless they lived on a farm or were a professional athlete. Think about the incredible amount of calories you would burn working on a farm like that. An ordinary person working a average job couldn't hope to spend that much calories.

Believe me, I know that. My point was that *sugar*, in its many forms, is getting blamed for increasing obesity, heart disease, and other assorted health problems when, at least in my opinion, it's not the sugar itself, it's the ever-accelerating trends toward larger and larger portions coupled with less and less activity. I don't care if you're eating nothing but organic veggies, free-range chicken, and fresh fruit, if you're slamming back 8-10,000 calories per day while doing next to nothing, you're going to gain weight, with all the secondary effects that brings. It's just much easier to blame increased sugar content, or high-fructose corn syrup than it is to look in the mirror and say "Self...get your overly-wide backside out of that computer chair and take a walk...preferably away from the refrigerator and the McDonalds!".

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Brother Stormhammer

oh boy, another one lost in the stone age.
don't you understand calories don't matter?
its the harmony of carbs, proteins and fats (individual to each person) that is important.
calories are nonsense.
our body is not a closed thermodynamic system that treats all calories alike, despite nutritional values.
but yes, portion size is also important, but not because of what you say.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
The problem is the fructose and the corn syrup , the fact that fructose is digested as 30% fat by the liver. There is no pancreas insulin reaction. Is toxic for the liver is poison for the body.

Please read this thread : "The Coca Cola Conspiracy "

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The sugar in decent quantity is not that bad. Is the sodium in drinks and the corn syrup , fructose that is messing up our bodies.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by AutomaticSlim

I have already addressed gluconeogenesis earlier. If you truly had an understanding of it you would know what I said is correct. Sorry if my education scares you. Glucose, or even more correctly dextrose which is shortened from dextrorotatory glucose, or "right handed" glucose. Is the main monosaccharide of cellular respiration because it is the correct shape to fit through the cell wall.

Gluconeogenesis does not "make dextrose" from bare atomic sources. It recombines it from glucagon stores already in your liver stored there from GUESS WHAT!!!! Food you had already eaten that had a saccharide of some form that was converted to glucose by glycolysis, and then stored as glucagon. Your body cannot combine carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen at the atomic level, and "make" glucose, it must come from your food source. Almost any commonly occuring, natural food does the trick. A piece of chicken meat has a small amount of saccharide still in the sarcomeres of the muscle fibers so even if you are on low carb, which is fine by the way, you are still getting saccharides which are divided down to eventually make glucose. It is not "from" protein, as some other still eroneous want to claim, it was extra stuff already there because you are eating an organism that uses the same stuff you do. I'm really done this is like explaining where babies come from to a three year old that is convinced mommy's stork theory is the inerrant word of God. You guys just aren't ready for deeper theory yet.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by lisa2012
The problem is the fructose and the corn syrup , the fact that fructose is digested as 30% fat by the liver. There is no pancreas insulin reaction. Is toxic for the liver is poison for the body.

Please read this thread : "The Coca Cola Conspiracy "

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The sugar in decent quantity is not that bad. Is the sodium in drinks and the corn syrup , fructose that is messing up our bodies.
Sucrose, the cane or beet sugar that no one seems to have a problem with is composed of a molecule of glucose weakly linked to a molecule of ....(drum roll) FRUCTOSE! Sucrose is 50% fructose and 50% glucose.
science[/url ]

[url=http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=how%20does%20the%20human%20body%20digest%20fructose&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fsweetsc am.com%2Fmyths-and-facts%2F&ei=4NgrT-TBKuH-2QX037GPDw&usg=AFQjCNGdFMhD9JRz-8Ob1mv055SUvyNOFg&cad=rja]sweetscam

There are two types of high fructose corn syrup, HFCS42 and HFCS55, which contain 42% and 55% fructose respectively. HFCS55 is not far at all from cane sugar and nearly the same as honey.

sweetscam

If you are scared of fructose, try staying away from fruits and most root vegetables, since they have that dreadful poison in them.

edit on 3-2-2012 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Soymilkalaska, splitinfinity, and brother stormhammer, seem to have a correct grasp on the point. Without spouting errant misnomers about a subject. They have stated the correct way to think about nutrition. Polysaccharides of an permutation are simply high octane fuel for the body. Eat too much, and you store the excess regardless of how, and regardless of what metrology scientists use to measure it. We are genetically predisposed to seek out, and consume saccharides because they used to be rare, now they are abundant, and we must use our highly developed brain to learn to eat balanced portions of everything. Even eating too low carb is bad. If you do not get a certain amount of saccharides from carbohydrates your leptin levels drop, and your metabolism slows down, and yes you can GAIN weigh on low carb. It isn't easy, but I've seen it.

Labeling a naturally occuring substance, or refinement of a substance is as was mentioned Gestalt justification. We just love that in our culture. That coupled with the politics of fear, and shame. You bad, bad, toxic, ugly, stupid fatty with that ice cream in your hand. SUGAR IS BAD, DOWN WITH SUGAR!! Quite medieval isn't it?

The reason big food puts too much extra salt, fats, and sugars in our foods is because we love it, we buy it, and we demand more of it. No conspiracy, it's just that simple. On the whole you asked for it, and didn't think about what you asked for. Well... now you got it. The great thing is no one is forcing you to eat it, or not...YET.

Like brother stormhammer I probably eat between 3500- 3800 calories a day. I'm 6'2", and I weigh 215lbs. According to the GUBmunt I am overweight, on the verge of obesity. What a joke! Let's go for a run, and see if any of those skinny vegans can even stay with me halfway through my daily run. I have awesome activity tolerance which is the #1 predictor of overall health. Guess what?! I also smoke cigars, and drink a splash or two of bourbon DAILY!!!! I eat ice cream once or maybe twice a week. During the holidays I splurge, and eat all kinds of crap, but do my time at the gym to pay for it. I have yearly physicals due to my job, and I am perfectly healthy. My cholesterol, lipids, and triglycerides are great, my cell counts are perfect, my chest X-rays are clear, and I feel great. The secret is to not just follow the rules, but to know why the rules are the rules. Then you know when they can be bent, and when they can be broken. Life's just happier that way. Sugar isn't evil, or bad, or toxic(in the modern vernacular, not the literal use.) not even HFCS. It is powerful, and causes problems when abused. Eat natural whole foods in balance, and moderation 80% of the time. Splurge, get drunk, eat a whole carton of ice cream, and party 20% of the time. Get out, and exercise at something fun every day. Pick up a bad habit to keep you humble, and reduce your stress.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Binder

good job bro you kick lalalaing butt.

100% agree.

peace.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
Reply to post by dawnstar

I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook from the 50's.

Everything is cups of sugar and pounds of straight lard.

Yet where was obesity then? Where were all the fat kids?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

Highfructose Corn Syrup.

Aspartame.

And they want to make sugar the bad guy ...

also - Wheat (flour) today is not the same wheat of the 50's. It was heavily modified to a new plant in the 70's.

If you were born in the 70s or later the wheat you have consumed your whole life is different than the wheat your grandparents and even your parents consumed when growing up. Now of course everyone eats the new wheat.

search "Wheat Belly" something to consider ...
edit on 3-2-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2012 by MegaMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   
reply to post by MegaMind

And this is how the Nanny Statists win:

While you all are discussing whether its refined sugar that is causing the problem or high fructose corn syrup that is causing the problem...

you all have already given up that obesity is a problem!!!!

you haven't even discussed whether its a problem or not - you just accept that it is! Why would you do that? We are living longer, healthier lives than has ever been lived in the whole history of mankind but you just accept that there is some kind of "obesity epidemic" going on that is going to kill off our children before they hit 30 (apparently).

The information that the definition of obesity and diabetes was re-defined in 1998 and begs the question of whether comparing information today to what existed in the 60s has already been provided.

Never mind having discussed whether obesity is truly a health issue or just an aesthetic one? (fat people survive crisis issues like injuries or illness better than skinny people you know)

Is it a public health issue or a private one? What is the limitations of "public health" anyway?

Want to see exactly how they come up with "number of hospital visits due to obesity? or smoking? or drinking?

www.morningadvertiser.co.uk...

Just read the link and it will show exactly how 68,000 hospital visits for drinking becomes "over 1 million" and is "costing public health a gigakajillion dollars" and we "need to address this issue",

See exactly how public health is lying to you all - then you can get around to bragging about how you know the difference between a carb and a sugar and how it all gets digested in the body, and how you only eat whole organic foods in a health food store or how you all do 80 miles of jogging per day and that is how you stay so slim and healthy and aren't you just a superior human being as compared to those stupid fatties?

And while you all are arguing amongst yourself in regard to your superior intellect and bodies - the foxes are in the hen house and about to rob you blind!!!!

The discussion here should be - where does society want to limit "public health" and how is "private health" defined. If you don't set some limits - then don't be surprised when there are none!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
The government being so gung-ho on regulating everything is really the issue. Some day you might find yourself being allowed to buy x amount of booze and smokes and wonder how we got to that point.

They own us now. Just ask the FDA.

This is so NWO it is sickening.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
I have a very sensitive stomach and lately I can't eat anything that's not grown and organic. I literally get sick to my stomach. It sucks but all I can eat is greens. I feel healthier, I'm just starving for crappy food.
Sugar and flouride won't be out lawed because the corporations are making bank off of us.
Corporations would rather slowly kill us with bogus products. As long as they get our money they don't care. Pretty sad to call some CEOs human..

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Sugar is a toxin to your body's immune system.. I've known this for years and for years I've been trying to battle my sugar addiction. I'm pretty much over it now. I do not drink soda and rarely eat any candy, cakes, pastry's, etc... I can tell a big difference in how I feel and how little I get sick now. I'm so happy I made the effort to get past sugar and I reccomend anyone who wants to be more healthy to do the same.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artlicious
Sugar is a toxin to your body's immune system.

Not wanting to sound like I'm knocking you but, it may be a toxin to "your" body's immune system (if it isn't all in your head) but tons of other people don't have the problem that you seem to have. Why should they be forced to go without because some may have a problem with it.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
They think sugar is bad, they should see the other crap kids eat at schools... Infact just look at the first ingredient. Don't make a black market for sugar. That's just stupid.
edit on 3-2-2012 by LonelyGuy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

It would be so NICE if everything can be reduced to a simple equation.

You must be one of those people who think the economy can be run like a personal checking account.

Not all foods are created equal, and not all foods affect the body the same way. Or else we would be able to eat one thing, get all our nutritional value, no allergies, maintain weight and be fine.

But it doesn't work that way.

Especially since food now also has gmo, preservatives, tons of salt, hormones, and who knows what else.
edit on 3-2-2012 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
FACT: The human body doesn't need SUGAR. It makes its own. Thank you!
FACT 2: SUGAR rich foods contain very low nutritional value.
FACT 3: SUGARY foods are enzyme poor, making the body unable to process is well.
FACT 4: SUGARY foods, when processed convert mainly to fat, taking along any LOVE aka added chemicals with them, and storing it. To be used another day, or perhaps poisoning YOU!
FACT 5: If it look, smells, and behaves like poison (chemically), it IS most likely poison. This is an expression BTW.

As for regulation, not sure.
But I dare anyone to challenge those FACTS.
edit on 2-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

To counter this:

1) Sugar is yummy
2) Sugar is yummy
3) Sugar is yummy
4) Sugar is yummy
5) you guessed it...

People don't eat sugary things because they think it will make them healthy..they eat it because its all full of yum. My entire life, and probably most people on here, has been filled with anti-sugar lectures..yet we still eat it because it tastes nice.

If you found out having sex would eventually lead to high cholesterol, would you stop having sex? no..you would just deal with high cholesterol

Human nature. the immediate gratification outweighs the long term damaging effects...especially if you can lessen the effects when they come.

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join