It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin, Researchers Say

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by fulllotusqigong

Ok so now tell me, is this really a reason for the government to regulate it the same way it regulates alcohol or other substances?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
The toxic truth about sugar Added sweeteners pose dangers to health that justify controlling them like alcohol, argue Robert H. Lustig, Laura A. Schmidt and Claire D. Brindis.

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

Ok so now tell me, is this really a reason for the government to regulate it the same way it regulates alcohol or other substances?

The United States spends $65 billion in lost productivity and $150 billion on health-care resources annually for morbidities associated with metabolic syndrome. Seventy-five per cent of all US health-care dollars are now spent on treating these diseases and their resultant disabilities. Because about 25% of military applicants are now rejected for obesity-related reasons, the past three US surgeons general and the chairman of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff have declared obesity a “threat to national security”.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fulllotusqigong

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Since high fructose corn syrup is in everything, it's just a way forgovernment to control what/how much we eat.

And the loon doing the study is out of San Fran. Which explains sooooooo much!

(apologies if this is a repeat, still reading all the posts)

A sweet problem: Princeton researchers find that high-fructose corn syrup prompts considerably more weight gain

Compared to animals eating only rat chow, rats on a diet rich in high-fructose corn syrup showed characteristic signs of a dangerous condition known in humans as the metabolic syndrome, including abnormal weight gain, significant increases in circulating triglycerides and augmented fat deposition, especially visceral fat around the belly.

edit on 2-2-2012 by fulllotusqigong because: (no reason given)

why did your quote show me as the one replying? i didn't post that.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:59 PM
link   

“The environmental footprint of HFCS is deep and wide,” writes Michael Pollan, author of The Omnivore’s Dilemma. “Look no farther than the dead zone in the Gulf [of Mexico], an area the size of New Jersey where virtually nothing will live because it has been starved of oxygen by the fertilizer runoff coming down the Mississippi from the Corn Belt. Then there is the atrazine in the water in farm country — a nasty herbicide that, at concentrations as little as 0.1 part per billion, has been shown to turn male frogs into hermaphrodites.” And we haven’t even started talking about why the stuff might be bad for you yet. Defenders of the HFCS faith are quick to point to studies contradicting stories that cast the sweetener in a negative light. Over at the Accidental Hedonist (a blog that supplied much of the substance and inspiration for this article) author Kate Hopkins puts it this way: The rise in obesity is directly the result of over-production of a government subsidized sweetener. There are “clues” that keep popping up that suggest health dangers as well. One study claimed livers of rats on a high fructose diet looked like the livers of alcoholics, plugged with fat and cirrhotic. Another suggests that HFCS may contribute more to fat that is stored deep in the body around the abdominal organs. This fat is known to promote pre-diabetes (insulin resistance) and to increase blood fats (triglycerides). Two of the enzymes used in the manufacturing process, alpha-amylase and glucose-isomerase, are genetically modified to make them more stable. University of Florida researchers found that fructose-heavy diets “can induce leptin resistance, a condition that can easily lead to becoming overweight.” Leptin is a substance produced by the body to trigger feelings of satiety; it tells us when to stop eating. No wonder that big gulp is so easy to swallow.

How the Government Encourages Obesity: The High Fructose Corn Syrup Story

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Pure sugar cane is good. White sugar that is processed, your just eating something that tastes good but there's nothing good for the body on that.

Pure Sugar cane, now that is something. Try eating that stuff and you won't get enough of it, which is good. So, if your making something that asks for sugar, go for the dried up sugar cane stuff, it's worth it all the way.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomCommander

Pure sugar cane is good. White sugar that is processed, your just eating something that tastes good but there's nothing good for the body on that.

Pure Sugar cane, now that is something. Try eating that stuff and you won't get enough of it, which is good. So, if your making something that asks for sugar, go for the dried up sugar cane stuff, it's worth it all the way.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Brother Stormhammer

To be fair, it's unrealistic for a modern day person to be this active unless they lived on a farm or were a professional athlete. Think about the incredible amount of calories you would burn working on a farm like that. An ordinary person working a average job couldn't hope to spend that much calories.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
There is nothing wrong with sweets in moderation. But moderation does not mean EVERY DAY! I see kids today and they look unhealthy. When I was a kid...you would have to tie me down in order to keep me in the house....now days...kids spend ENDLESS HOURS playing video games and social networking and never get outside.

Even though I post on this board...I make sure I get a vigerous workout 4 Times a week and at least 30 minutes of working out the other 3 days...and you know what....It makes a person feel GREAT! You are not so susceptable to intoxication...you can eat like a hourse and not gain weight....as long as you eat straight protiens and Carbs from Leaffy Greens and Veggies as well as limiting Fruit to 2 Pieces a day and under no circumstances do you drink DIET SODA.....as it increased appetite....and never drink anything with HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP.

And FOR GOD SAKES....PEOPLE...WAKE UP! Just because it says LOW FAT doesn't mean it's LOW CAL!
It is better for you body to eat BUTTER than MARGARINE loaded up with Hydrogenized ANYTHING!

As I said before....I EAT LIKE A HORSE....3500 CAL or more but I work out and NEVER EAT ANYTHING PREMADE IN A BOX! It's OK to eat a STEAK or EGGS or FISH or PORK....animal FAT is OK to eat. Do you know what causes Arterial PLAQ? WHITE BREAD! The Human body cannot process super fined milled grain....the Carbs in any White Bread turn DIRECTLY TO CHOLESTEROL in a persons blood stream.

These are the things that will KILL YOU or worse...give you a blockage in your CHOROID ARTERY....giving you a STROKE and leaving you a vegetable...there are worst things than DEATH.....these are those things...............
Processed Milled White Bread, PASTA, POTATO CHIPS, Cheese that is individually sliced and wrapped...IT IS A FREEKIN PLASTIC POLYMER...no kid! High Fructose Corn Syrup, ANYONE WHO DOES NOT TAKE A MULTIVITIMIN, HYDROGENATED ANYTHING! Lots of Candy and Cake Junk food.

You can eat great food...Steaks and Chicken and Fish and Pork Chops...s long as you eat with them leafy veggies and a wide assortment of vegetables. Try to stay away from Canned Corn and Peas as well as Potatos.
And read juice labels...many juices are not using Corn Syrup anymore and O.J. is always a good choice as is a SLICE OF LEMON WITH A SHOT OF TEQUILLIA....for us older folks...two shots a day or some wine or lite beer...the alchohol keeps the Arteries Clean! LOL! Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
This right here is wrong with the entire study or focus of this person

“There has to be some sort of societal intervention. We cannot do it on our own because sugar is addictive. Personal intervention is necessary, but not sufficient.”…

hotair.com...

Nanny Statism if I ever saw it. We can't discipline our own selves so we have to have govt do it for us.
edit on 3-2-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I'm so underweight, my doctor has griped at me about not eating.....

and well, there was a time when I did actually only eat a meal every couple of days.....

tax my sugar???
ya, go ahead and try it and see if I don't sue!!!
I spend 8 hours every day doing what I can only describe as arobic exercise at work, come home and spend a good part of the rest of my day taking care of home and hearth!!!
anyone want to take a guess what happens when you burn more calaries than you take in on a regular basis?????

well, your body starts breaking down your muscles, and you end up with a paper thin adomen and then end up with a hernia from pushing thick arse ink through a screen, and then you end up screwing with the doctors for over a year, spending a ton of money you won't earn for a couple of years while still going to work and pushing think arsed ink through a screen as part of this arobic exercise for 8 hours five days a week!!!

there wasn't as many fat people, there wasn't as many asthmatics, there wasn't as much cancer while I was growing up and well, most of the adults around me smoked, we ate fried foods that were cooked in lard, drank whole fat milk, ate real eggs, had plenty of sugar on our cereal, and real butter!!!!

it's not people's diets, it's all the chemicals, most I'd venture not even 50 years old, that have been introduced into our environment, added to our food, used to make everything from our homes to our blankets and clothes, that hadn't even been studied much before allowed to bombard us at every angle!!!
ya see while I was growing up, concern started growing over all the pollution that was being dumped in our waterways and landfills, the gov't passed laws requiring companies to dispose of such toxins properly, which the corps found to be very expensive, so they proceeded to work on a way to use these toxins in the production of our products, so they could turn them into a profit instead of a expense!!!

ya, poison the people then gripe and complain to them about how unhealthy they are.....
it's a screwed up world....a screwed up society!!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

This right here is wrong with the entire study or focus of this person

“There has to be some sort of societal intervention. We cannot do it on our own because sugar is addictive. Personal intervention is necessary, but not sufficient.”…

hotair.com...

Nanny Statism if I ever saw it. We can't discipline our own selves so we have to have govt do it for us.
edit on 3-2-2012 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

Ill-conceived US corn subsidies make "liquid Satan" high-fructose corn syrup a cheap ingredient

For years the federal government has subsidized corn to the tune of several billion dollars a year.

Intake of HFCS has increased from .6 pounds per person per year in the 1970s to 73.5 pounds per person in 2007. This represents an alarming 12,250% increase in consumption over just a few decades. Government intervention in the free market through crop subsidies has led to a disastrous change in what Americans eat. Though many other policies would have to be changed with it, the dismantling of crop subsidies would be a healthy start to breaking up corporate agriculture conglomerates, and it would encourage diversity in American farming. Better food would lead to better health.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

It's funny, I was at Whole Foods today. I always feel so good when I am in a health food store. Yesterday I had carrot juice. And the organic food buffet is pretty interesting. The timing of this thread is interesting for me, and hubby is on a health kick now too.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:59 AM
link   

I see the graph that you have produced showing that the incidence of obesity is growing in America. But I have a question:

In 1998, the World Health Organization changed the definition of obesity by decreasing the BMI at which a person is considered obese. Generally, a person in 1998 would have to wiegh 20 lbs less than he did in 1997 to avoid being considered obese.

www.cnn.com...

Further, Americans have grown by an average of over an inch in hieght since the 1950s. So for the BMI to be lower, the hieght to wieght ratio would have to be lower.

usgovinfo.about.com...

So are we looking at an obesity crisis OR are we looking at an Orwellian change in the definition of obesity in order to fund a propaganda campaign which will allow the government to tax food and intrude into the private lives of their citizens?

PS - the medical definition of diabetes was also changed in 1998. The blood sugar level at which a person would be diagnosed as a diabetic was lowered by a full point.

Change the definition and VOILA instant obesity crisis, instant diabetes crises and reasons provided why "unhealthy food should be taxed and regulated".

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks

I see the graph that you have produced showing that the incidence of obesity is growing in America. But I have a question:

In 1998, the World Health Organization changed the definition of obesity by decreasing the BMI at which a person is considered obese. Generally, a person in 1998 would have to wiegh 20 lbs less than he did in 1997 to avoid being considered obese.

www.cnn.com...

Further, Americans have grown by an average of over an inch in hieght since the 1950s. So for the BMI to be lower, the hieght to wieght ratio would have to be lower.

usgovinfo.about.com...

So are we looking at an obesity crisis OR are we looking at an Orwellian change in the definition of obesity in order to fund a propaganda campaign which will allow the government to tax food and intrude into the private lives of their citizens?

PS - the medical definition of diabetes was also changed in 1998. The blood sugar level at which a person would be diagnosed as a diabetic was lowered by a full point.

Change the definition and VOILA instant obesity crisis, instant diabetes crises and reasons provided why "unhealthy food should be taxed and regulated".

Tired of Control Freaks

Indeed, Australia, which is awash in cheap sugar but consumes little high-fructose corn syrup, has obesity patterns similar to those in the United States. The authors note that: Australia and the United States both have high and rising obesity rates, but opposite sugar policies. Sugar is the major sweetener consumed in Australia, not HFCS, and there are essentially no distortions in its program.

Time to subsidize fruits and vegetables instead of sweetners

One study estimated that between 280 000 and 325 000 deaths annually in the United States could be attributed to obesity.3 More than 80% of these deaths occur among people with a body mass index (BMI) >30 kg/m2. The increase in death from obesity has been documented in a number of studies from around the world (Table 1).

Obesity, a Worldwide Epidemic Related to Heart Disease and Stroke: Group III: Worldwide Comorbidities of Obesity

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
don't want a nanny state?
petition the government to end CORN subsidies!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:34 AM
link   

It's funny, I was at Whole Foods today. I always feel so good when I am in a health food store. Yesterday I had carrot juice. And the organic food buffet is pretty interesting. The timing of this thread is interesting for me, and hubby is on a health kick now too.

Take it from me....those organic food places lie their ASSES OFF! I grow my own organic garden in the spring, summer and fall....and I still have Brussel Sprouts out there as they will survive a mellow winter. Whole foods is a joke and expensive to...I know alot about gardening. If you want to find out how to grow one that takes care of itself and no weeding involved...PM me and I will tell you.

Health kicks are NOT HEALTHY! What He needs to do is change what he eats permanantly...but like I said...I EAT LIKE A HORSE....a CARNIVEROUS HORSE! LOL! He will love the food choices and gain lots of muscle...he will have to excersize...at the very least...walk every day....then maybe start so low level weight training or in my case....I swim a MILE 3 times a week in several month stretches to get me ready for SCUBA.

You don't have to be that active...but if he eats anything a CHIMP could eat....he will loose weight fast...caloric intake is not so much of an issue because the more Protein or Meat in ones diet....the Higher that persons Metabalizm will run so he will burn cals just sitting around. Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:41 AM
link   
sign me up for my medicinal sugar card.

it helps my gout.

ha ha ha ha ha

-subfab

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by subfab
sign me up for my medicinal sugar card.

it helps my gout.

ha ha ha ha ha

-subfab

If you truly have gout...a 300mg tablet once a day of Allopurinol will cure you forever! NO B.S. Split Infinity

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
I miss the world when I was younger, it was better, safer, and healthier. now everything is bad for you, offensive, racist, etc.....

you libtards can have this life you created, I wanna go back to the old school ways. I'm done with this BS.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

i agree with most of what you said.

now completely unrelated, something I wanted to mention.

Calories are fake in my opinion, they set some ingredients on fire and see how hot the water next to it gets.

first off, your stomach doesn't set things on FIRE on that scale or in that way!

also, everybody POOPS! you poop out lots of stuff! you don't keep everything you put in, and everybody's body is different. so calories are subjective opinions based on crapped scientific data.

you can put a number on food, but you can't account for the variables of individuality and digestion and waste.

fat is good for you people! animal fat and butter and olive oil and coconut oil are GOOD for you in the right amounts, you can eat alot and be fine, heart disease takes advantage of cholesterol, not the other way around.

bad things cause heart disease like eating nasty hydrogenated oils and chemicals, and then that takes the cholesterol in your blood and uses it against you in a way.

people used to wake up in the morning and eat:

4 eggs, ham, sausage, beef, orange juice, milk, beans, butter toast, LOTS of heavy fatty stuff thats actually good for you!

and they ate it all together and they were fine!

2012... everybody is all messed up. if you MUST drink coke, get carbonated water, add your own juices and flavor and normal sugar.

they add so much stuff to soda its not even logical.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join