It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin, Researchers Say

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   

Sugar Should Be Regulated As Toxin, Researchers Say

news.yahoo.com

Sugar and other sweeteners are, in fact, so toxic to the human body that they should be regulated as strictly as alcohol by governments worldwide, according to a commentary in the current issue of the journal Nature by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF).

Economists to the rescue
Lustig, a medical doctor in UCSF's Department of Pediatrics, compares added sugar to tobacco and alcohol (coincidentally made from sugar) in that it is addictive, toxic and has a negative impact on society, thus meeting established public health criteria for regulation. Lustig advoca
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 2/2/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: title to same as source

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:17 AM
link   
sugar. really, and not fluoride.

Soda Tax laws and beyond, the crumbling of our freedoms.

hey ATS im new here, i just had to make an account once i heard about scientist trying to classify sugar as toxic.

i can't even ignore the news anymore, because it won't stop following me lol, ignore biased annoying news channel on t.v.

browse internet, look to the right, BAM sugar toxic

Scientists: Trolololol

(meanwhile) Scientists: lets add more fluoride to the peanut butter or something ridiculous along the lines.

whats your Take on this ATS?

My Opinion: normal cane sugar i think is ok and even healthy in the right amounts.

aspartame, fructose, artificial sweeteners are very bad.

yet the article specifically mentions "Sugar" as the enemy.

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   
It makes sence... Why not research Sugar.. the effects and the modern day problems due to refined sugar, high fructose corn syrup...

Look at how obese this world is... connect the dot's i'd elaborate further but its astounding how little people know about the one thing they eat the most of... don't breed ignorance.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
I think Cane and Brown sugars, used in the right amounts and not to excess is ok.

I think Aspartame and it's sweetener cousins, high fructose corn syrup and the like should be the ones that should be classed as toxins and restricted, better yet, outlawed.

The trouble is, they put these things in nearly everything, especially convenience foods, soda's etc. Which the western world love because it saves them time and is often believed to be cheaper than fresh foods.

Personally i feel that most foods are ok, aslong as you don't eat them to excess. It's ok to treat yourself to a doughnut every now and again, or a nice chocolate pudding, or a pizza or another takeaway. The trouble is, some people don't just save them as treats every now and again, they eat them daily and this is where the obesity problem lies.

People need to start being educated about foods and the dangers of eating certain things in excess. Some people already know this, but sadly a lot of people don't and some just choose to ignore it.

Although i personally believe, the PTB don't want us educated. They want us unfit, fat, ill, needy and addicted to all the crap they allow in our foods, so we're easier to control.

edit on 2-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   
reply to post by j4k3h

we didn't have a problem with obesity till they started trying to take our sugar away and started putting fake crap into everything!!!

ya, sugar is toxic.....the fake stuff, use the fake stuff, the sugar is toxic!!!
heck is there a safe substitute for sugar???

+10 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:45 AM
link   
Reply to post by dawnstar

I have an old Betty Crocker cookbook from the 50's.

Everything is cups of sugar and pounds of straight lard.

Yet where was obesity then? Where were all the fat kids?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by dawnstar

stevia. It is a safe alternative. grow the plant. don't buy the processed crap.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
FACT: The human body doesn't need SUGAR. It makes its own. Thank you!
FACT 2: SUGAR rich foods contain very low nutritional value.
FACT 3: SUGARY foods are enzyme poor, making the body unable to process is well.
FACT 4: SUGARY foods, when processed convert mainly to fat, taking along any LOVE aka added chemicals with them, and storing it. To be used another day, or perhaps poisoning YOU!
FACT 5: If it look, smells, and behaves like poison (chemically), it IS most likely poison. This is an expression BTW.

As for regulation, not sure.
But I dare anyone to challenge those FACTS.
edit on 2-2-2012 by BBalazs because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:48 AM
link   
maybe just maybe they could put less than 10 pounds of sugar in everything

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

There's obviously still some debate, from the OP article:

Some researchers argue that saturated fat, not sugar, is the root cause of obesity and chronic disease. Others argue that it is highly processed foods with simple carbohydrates. Still others argue that it is a lack of physical exercise. It could, of course, be a matter of all these issues.

As others said, moderation is the key.

Obesity occurs because of eating too much, of ANYTHING, and not enough exercise.

No matter what food you ban, you can get fat on something else if you eat enough of it.

The math is basically,

weight gain = calories eaten - calories burned in daily activity

Fat is so dense in calories that it does make sense to watch your caloric intake from fats. I'm not for banning fats either, but you can gain a lot of weight from not eating a lot of food if you eat fatty foods.

And most of us could use more exercise. I used to get enough but I've slipped a little.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I would imagine, out getting exercise in the fresh air everyday and not sitting at home on their games consoles eating fake junk foods on a daily basis.

edit on 2-2-2012 by skitzspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

I would add obesity occurs because of eating TOO much.
Excersise is not as important as many make it out.
Calories have been debunked a very long time ago, as a cause of obesity. In fact in the 5o,6os. It has been debunked every single year since, latest at harvard. you should read up on it, if it interests you.
And yeah, at this moment in time, it is pretty well known what causes obesity in 8o% of cases at the very least (educated guess): Processed, nutrient low and chemically rich, enzyme lacking foods. Also essentially toxic foods, I am not even going to go there. But yeah, the causes of obesity are pretty well known and documented by science.
Its just that many cast a wide net, and refuse to go back to the very basics: nutrition aka FOOD.
It is the alpha and omega.
You literally are WHAT YOU EAT.
Brillant Savarin said it a long time ago.
Medicine has been sidetracked, examining symptoms in this area.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:54 AM
link   
That's right. Stay away from sugar! It baaaaad.

Here, drink this aspartame-loaded juice and yogurt. They're good for you because they say "diet" on the label. Be sure to drink 8 8-oz glasses of fluoride-laden water today, too, just like you're told you're supposed to do.

While you're at it, if you're hungry for a snack, be sure to stop by a fast food joint on your way to the pharmacy to get your blood pressure, cholesterol, acid reflux and anxiety/depression medication, and pick up an ammonia-dipped burger! (Although, I hear they're going to stop this or have already).

It's crazy. Yes, sugar has been processed and refined but as long as you moderate your intake, your body can handle it. If they're going to say sugar is a toxin, they better label all the real toxins as toxins, too.

Aspartame=good because Monsanto paid the FDA to say so.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:57 AM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

the fact remains, and this is a message to all: our bodies DO NOT NEED SUGAR or any other PROCESSED FOODS and added chemicals (aspartame included).
Get over it!
Or stay FAT AND SICK, but don't say I didn't WARN YOU.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
and when it blows in your face, or in 5o years this becomes common knowledge, tough titties if you towed the PARTY line.
Autoimmune disease, cancer and all the LOVE and such is just a few decade along the road my friends.
These ARE ALL SELF DEFENSE mechanisms of the body (read up on it)....So, you gotta ask who the hell is your body fighting? I wonder...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   
Regulate the banking system before trying to regulate sugar. Get out of my personal habits government kthxbye

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
FACT 3: SUGARY foods are enzyme poor, making the body unable to process is well.
FACT 4: SUGARY foods, when processed convert mainly to fat, taking along any LOVE aka added chemicals with them, and storing it. To be used another day, or perhaps poisoning YOU!
FACT 5: If it look, smells, and behaves like poison, it IS most likely poison.

FACT: Sugar makes food delicious.
FACT: So does fat.
FACT: Neither fat or sugar smell like poison so go ahead and treat yourself.
FACT: The above two foods will not hurt you unless you consume too much.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

This is not a challenge, as I said nothing about fat.
How it tastes is irrelevant.
If it acts like a toxin, it is a toxin, but in low quantities will not be AS toxic.Still toxic, poison.
Care to try again?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

I was not responding to your challenge.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:20 AM
link   
reply to post by BBalazs

Water is a toxin too, if you drink too much you will die.

The government should give us water ration cards to make sure we won't drink too much

edit on 2/2/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

+16 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by BBalazs
FACT 5: If it look, smells, and behaves like poison, it IS most likely poison.

Challenge Accepted:

FACT 1: Every system of the body can survive without glucose(the eventual metabolic product of the breakdown of carbohydrates, and "sugar") by the body's production of ketone bodies from protein catabolism. Every system except the CNS(brain). The brain runs on glucose, and their is no substitute. If you consume absolutely no sugar ever you will slip into a coma, and die. It doesn't ake much, but you must consume some. (about 20-30 grams a day.)

FACT 2: The sugar content of food has no bearing on its nutrient density. Yes soda has no nutritional value, and is very high in sugar content, but fruit also has a high frucose(sugar) content, but is fairly nutrient dense.

FACT 3: Refer back to fact #2. Sugars are used to create ATP to make energy to make enzymes during anabolism.

FACT4: Sugary foods convert mostly to GLUCOSE, which causes an insulin spike which causes storage, and use of the faster metabolizing glucose first, and storage of all the other stuff. (proteins, and fats, which are slower, and take more energy to metabolize.)

FACT 5: Then you must never ingest anything into your body ever again! Everything is a poison at the correct dose, and route of administration. If you drink too much water it will kill you.

As for regulation. HELL NO! We are on the slippery slope with this BS already. 15 years ago when they started in on smokers we all joked that someday they would regulate everything, air, sunlight, and water. Today it isn't a joke anymore. They are seriously looking at doing just that! Sugar is the most basic nutrient your body needs. We crave it because we are hardwired in our primitive brain to do so. Concentrated sugar used to be an extreme rarity in our available food sources, so we are wired to seek it out, and consume it whenever available. In our modern world it is simply easily available, but our wiring hasn't caught up yet. Yes, we over consume, but having the government step in to regulate it is a TERRIBLE idea. If your physicaI output is enough you can eat a lot of sugar because it is fast easily available energy source. If you are sedentary you can't eat as much without storing the other stuff. But you cannot live without it. I would rather deal with the consequences of too much freedom, than the tyranny of none. Now hand me that ice cream, and leave me alone.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join