It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats you favorite survival food?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Mine is a big jar of Kraft smooth peanut butter.

When I was young and I hitch-hiked across the country flat broke, a big jar of peanut butter in my back pack kept me going. Raw protein and it tastes good. You can even eat it with your finger.

Whats you favorite?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:46 PM
link   
peanut butter covered people
if you get your arrow back its double good

edit
*sigh*
naw i couldn't...I learned to eat cat tails, pine trees, plantain, dandylions etc and I keep all my old guitar strings for small animal snares
edit on 1-2-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Venison. Nothing like some deer meat to hold you over.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Rocketman7

I'll see your jar of PB and raise you a bar of dark chocolate!

I cannot resist good (beef, deer, moose) jerky either TBH. My mouth is just watering right now...

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I'm a big fan of fish and chips from the chippy to be honest.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Dinty Moore Beef Stew. No question for me. A good can of that can taste like a feast fit for a king on an extended camping period in the woods. mmm hmmm..

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

nice fat rabbits

naw...I couldn't....yes I could...no....YES..... no....sigh

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Danbones
peanut butter covered people
if you get your arrow back its double good

edit
*sigh*
naw i couldn't...I learned to eat cat tails, pine trees, plantain, dandylions etc and I keep all my old guitar strings for small animal snares

Cat tails? Fur and all? You mean like cat tail soup. and keep the pet just eat part of it?

kidding. I know what cattails are, we used to have great cattail fights in the gravel pit as a kid.
edit on 1-2-2012 by Rocketman7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

That's some good stuff! As is Campbell's Chunky soups and some of those good canned chicken and dumplings!

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   

us too
Cattails make great arrows..you can turn up the last piece of leaf at the butt end for fletching and they crumble when they hit a person...we had a lot of fun in the swamp

but you can get something good from them to eat at anytime of year even in winter

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Funny to read about you guys favorit gourmet when you out there "surviving"
Almost look like some of you are looking forward to some disaster so you can start "surviving"

Those magical survival resturants will be popping up all over serving caviar, champagne and venison steaks

edit on 1-2-2012 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Dinty Moore Beef Stew. No question for me. A good can of that can taste like a feast fit for a king on an extended camping period in the woods. mmm hmmm..

More than 70 years later, Dinty Moore® beef stew is the #1 selling stew in the nation, and the Dinty Moore® brand is still a staple in the American cupboard. The name means much more than just beef stew; it’s a convenient, satisfying meal in minutes.

Sounds delicious. We don't have DInty Moore where I live in Canada. We get Chef Boyardee and that.
Campbells soup and Campbells chunky soups that eat like a meal. Those are good. Campbells has tried to not change its products over time.

Can't say that for anyone else. Ingredients get cheaper, the meat becomes chopped and formed, and the taste changes.

Campbells Vegetable soup has remained the same my entire life, which is over 50 years at least. That company I trust. But if I can find a can of Dinty Moore beef stew I will try it. Maybe I just haven't looked in the right place yet.

I used to just love cans of stew and cans of chili, but then they started making them so cheap and the ingrdients so cheap, and it all gives me heartburn or indigestion now usually and doesn't taste that good.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vandalour
Funny to read about you guys favorit gourmet when you out there "surviving"
Almost look like some of you are looking forward to some disaster so you can start "surviving"

Those magical survival resturants will be popping up all over serving caviar, champagne and venison steaks

edit on 1-2-2012 by Vandalour because: (no reason given)

Escargot anyone?

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

I cannot resist good (beef, deer, moose) jerky either TBH. My mouth is just watering right now...

Naw mate. Deer is too expensive, hard to catch, hard to skin ..... need I go on.

Mate, you want kangaroo. Yea mate kangaroo. They jump straight in the pot for ya. Even have a pouch for vegies and grubs. Tie their legs with king brown snakes, easy as mate!

Go the kangas!

Snakes good too. Possums are a little hard to catch.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by HIWATT

I love beef jerky but I am paranoid about breaking or cracking a tooth since it is as tough as shoe leather.
If you break a tooth in the bush, you could be in some real pain.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Not sure what you mean by "survival food". Do you mean im out in the woods alone what would I eat? Or what would I bring with me to eat in the woods if I gotta leave my house? The former I would eat anything that provides me with nutrition.Fish, possum, squirrel, hell ill eat a nutra rat on a spit no problem. I would think when people are hungry they would do much the same. Bugs are gross but great protein, and we have lots of bugs here in Lousy-ana. Canned goods I would say Bush baked beans and Progresso soup. Progresso is awesome, Ive never had a bad type of soup from them.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Granola, Peanuts, cranberrys, and oats all mixed together. Can bring a large amount and lightweight.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Brand certainly does make all the difference on some specific things, doesn't it? I've tried other stews down here but Dinty Moore is the one with the solid meaty taste and is actually filling on one can.

When I was on the truck running cross country I bought these by the case:

Heater Meals

They're quick, self contained and surprisingly good. I chose to eat one of those for dinner more than once while sitting in a truck stop with a restaurant right there, if that tells ya how good they are. It's surprising, considering the same company puts out the Military MRE packs and the language I've heard relatives describe those with isn't within T&C to repeat here.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by pheonix358

No way would I eat a possum unless I was starving to death.

Kangaroo sounds like it would be good though.

posted on Feb, 1 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cancerwarrior
Not sure what you mean by "survival food". Do you mean im out in the woods alone what would I eat? Or what would I bring with me to eat in the woods if I gotta leave my house? The former I would eat anything that provides me with nutrition.Fish, possum, squirrel, hell ill eat a nutra rat on a spit no problem. I would think when people are hungry they would do much the same. Bugs are gross but great protein, and we have lots of bugs here in Lousy-ana. Canned goods I would say Bush baked beans and Progresso soup. Progresso is awesome, Ive never had a bad type of soup from them.

Progresso

Looks good. I am leary of the microwave bowls though. I stick to good old cans. Again though due to some sort of marketting or trade barrier, I don't think we have them in Canada either.

When I used to go hiking in the bush years ago I used to take a couple cans of corned beef, that had the can opener as part of the can. And spam as well, except now spam has a bad name. But fried on an open fire, it was almost edible.
The corned beef in a can always came from Argentina. It was ok. I don't remember the brand name.
I don't think the brand name was 'Argentina' although I see that is on the net.

It was a can like this with a hereford steer on it.
Oh its Brazil, not Argentina
link

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join