It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kid's ISO 14000. Anybody ever heard of this?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
OK, My daughter came home from school on Monday with a new assignment. What's the big deal right? Well, to tell you the truth, I found this particular assignment a little strange. She had folder that said "Kid's ISO 1400". I worked with companies which employed the ISO standards before so I was familiar with it. I started looking through the folder and they were asking for her full name, adress and detailed info on our gas, water and electricity meter. She is to maintain a log entry of our usage and waste (garbage) for a week. Make an evaluation and them impliment change. We're pretty mindfull already, but if we can improve even further then awesome.

Kid's ISO 14000

There is alot of global warming preaching. You and I both know that global warming is bunk. The teacher was telling the class that they all contribute to killing the planet and this would help greatly. Almost guilting the kids into filling that out. But they don't talk about the BP oil spill or the Tar Sands or even Monsanto. Plus, all her info to be sent to Japan? I dunno seems a little strange to me.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
wow,that is a bit strange! holy big brother eh. schools have been using children to find out info at home for a long time. just look at the d.a.r.e. program!
"hey kids,does any of your parents smoke hand rolled cigarettes at home?"
next thing you know your getting raided!
the iso thing sounds like a devious way for the green police to bust people!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   
wow,that is a bit strange! holy big brother eh. schools have been using children to find out info at home for a long time. just look at the d.a.r.e. program!
"hey kids,does any of your parents smoke hand rolled cigarettes at home?"
next thing you know your getting raided!
the iso thing sounds like a devious way for the green police to bust people!

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

The concept is interesting although any personal information shouldn't be required to complete the assignment. I agree that BP, Monsanto, tar sands, Fukishima etc etc are all important issues that should be discussed. I don't share your belief that global warming (aka climate change) is bunk though. In all fairness, if you turn out to be wrong, it will be your kids that may suffer and/or have to deal with it. I say let them be educated (without bias if possible) and let them make up their own minds when the time comes.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Do they have to send these detailed forms back in? Or are they just kept with the child, for her to use as reference for what ever she needs them for?

I know global warming is a fad, but i agree that we need to start cleaning up our behavior. Making children aware at a young age is a good thing in my eyes. . But I'm guessing with the assignment your showing, them wanting full name and address, the information their asking for obviously goes elsewhere. .This also goes to show that they have access to other information about the households if they only need the name of the child.

Personally, i would fill everything -sketchy and leave the personal information out such as name, address and any other thing you think is personal. Surly they cant fail her if she refuses to give personal information.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Much like every ISO-certified facility I have EVER worked at...it just requires a little pencil-whipping, no real records need to be kept.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
It's a good learning tool in a lot of ways. The gov is not using the information against you,you'll probably get the assignment back with a grade on it when it is done. I would suggest leaving your address off, if you're really worried, but I am willing to bet they are using a map, and then mapping the energy usage by neighborhood. They may be trying to connect the difference in housing and geographical area to why the usages differ for house to house. I.E. Johnny lives in a trailer and Johnny uses less energy because they have a wood stove. Jane lives in a house and uses more energy because they have Central heating and air....

I did a similar project with my boy scout kids. I don't think there is any sinister government agenda behind this one at all. It's pretty simple, teaching kids to care about the Earth, your opinion on global warming or not.

I prefer my kids focus less on energy use and more on garbage disposal.... we make WAAYY too much of it, and are running out of places to put it. i see nothing wrong with protecting and keep the place we all live clean.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

I'm not saying that global warming is not happening, it is. But not because of what they are telling us, pollution. Global warming is happeing all over the solar system. But I do belive the enviroment should be everybodies concern. It's our home after all. If the assignment was school based I would have no problem with it. But it seems to be marketing base. And her info, you're right, it should be left out.

Peace.
edit on 31-1-2012 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Iso 1400 is the international standard for environmental, we are certified at my workplace for this standard along with others.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Are you in the US?
If so, tell them that the information they are requesting is private and move on. They are using your kid to learn about your habits. There is no logical reason to ask for this. They could just as easily track some other non-invasive data to teach kids the same lesson.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawkmoon1972

No, I'm in Canada. But that's what I was thinking too. I know the concept was started in Japan and adapted to other contries afterwards. But why send the info to Japan. That's an other thing I don't get.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Geez we did the same thing in boy scouts. The concept was to teach us about what we use and how not to waste it. Actually a pretty good lesson. That was in 1962. Guess people weren't. So paranoid then. You do know that when you consume less you save money. Kind of a win win thingy.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   
This is very disturbing. The company I am with is certified through BRC (British Retail Consortium).

I am affraid that your daughter is being brainwashed and trained for a life of unreasonable compliance.

All of these global standards are little more than tools in the perpetuation of mass dilusional stupidity.

They do everything they can to justify the cost of idiot-proofing the world. It is a disgusting waste of time and effort.

I'm going to go throw up now.

new topics

top topics

join