It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flying Aussie flag on car 'more racist'

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieDingus

which it is NOT

Again it is and very relevant to this thread I started.

Ask ATS. The fact is this is a term that is applied only to White Australians of British & Irish ancestry. It is a used in a negative, derogatory and stereotypical way meant to offend and show superiority!. When the term is used by an Australian of British or Irish ancestry to describe someone it falls under the "internalized racism" class. They do it to express superiority over the other person. If the term is used by some one not of British/Irish ancestry is is just plain old racism! Again it is a term that applied to one race only to express superiority.

Get it now? or does need to be broken down further?

Ask ATS!

edit on 26-1-2012 by phatpackage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I'm proud of the beaches, trees, animals, I'm grateful for this place its got wonderful beauty.
I'm proud we have each other, I'm proud of how we can pull together in tragedy and make do with what we have.

Sometimes I'm not proud with our government but we just have to cop that on the chin and go to the pub.
I'm not going to be sad about stuff and let it get me down. No I'm proud that is why.

Stop debating and move on from the past, look for the future and brighter days to come and that have come.
edit on 26-1-2012 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
I remember when 'bogan' was used as a term of endearment. I didn't think it related to race at all.
I was once called bogan for listening to some aussie pub rock, I wasn't offended - that was pretty bogan of me...

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karawa

I remember when 'bogan' was used as a term of endearment. I didn't think it related to race at all.
I was once called bogan for listening to some aussie pub rock, I wasn't offended - that was pretty bogan of me...

You were called a Bogan as a sort of insult or jibe?. They were trying to ridicule you saying you acted in someway like a white Australian of British/Irish decent. Whether they did it in jest or not it was still an attack of sorts on a race. Like it or not!

Still Racism. In the same vain "Pommy #$%^^&#$" is a racist insult as well! It is not about if someone called you that in a light hearted way or not. Vilification is about the way one was meant to feel not what was actually said or the context!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by phatpackage

Bogan:- "the term Bogan is Australian and NZ slang, for an individual who is recognised to be from a lower class background or someone who's limited education, speech,clothing, ATTITUDE or BEHAVIOUR exempllifies such a background"
"The origin of the term bogan is UNKNOWN, both the Macquarie Dictionary and the Australian Oxford Dictionary cite the origin as UNKNOWN"
Did you notice the words attitude and behaviour in there ???? Isnt that what i've been referring to the whole time, attitude and behaviour ???? And where does it even go close to mentioning race, skin colour or racism ???? So yet again, it is NOT a racist term, but you can tell yourself it is all you want. BUT, displaying these attitudes and behaviour while telling people to get out of a country just because someone looks different IS racism. But if you'd focus on that you wouldnt have to keep coming back trying to convince yourself that bogan might be a racist term, which it is NOT !

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussieDingus

Bogan:- "the term Bogan is Australian and NZ slang, for an individual who is recognised to be from a lower class background or someone who's limited education, speech,clothing, ATTITUDE or BEHAVIOUR exempllifies such a background"
"The origin of the term bogan is UNKNOWN, both the Macquarie Dictionary and the Australian Oxford Dictionary cite the origin as UNKNOWN"
Did you notice the words attitude and behaviour in there ???? Isnt that what i've been referring to the whole time, attitude and behaviour ???? And where does it even go close to mentioning race, skin colour or racism ???? So yet again, it is NOT a racist term, but you can tell yourself it is all you want. BUT, displaying these attitudes and behaviour while telling people to get out of a country just because someone looks different IS racism. But if you'd focus on that you wouldnt have to keep coming back trying to convince yourself that bogan might be a racist term, which it is NOT !

Well why is it then then that White Australians of Irish/British decent are the targets of this? I have never heard a negroid referred to as a bogan. Even if it is behavioral it is the behavior of one race. One race being singled out! You just don't get do you?. A dictionary cannot convey the negative context the word is used towards one race of people. It sure as hell is racist. The argument is proven! Towards one race? get it yet?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

I agree that bogan is an aussie stereotype, I disagree that it's about race. I remember in the 80's anyone could have jokingly been called bogan, regardless of ethnic background.

One thing that is great about Australians is the ability to laugh at ourselves, or so I thought.

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by AussieDingus

Sorry but wrong again. It is NOT a racist term,

Yes it is........... Ask yourself this, what colour skin has a bogan?????

And why do you keep focusing on whether or not bogan is or isnt a racist term, which it is NOT,

Ah ,,,,, well,,,,,,,,because it is. Its Racist.

and start focusing on the bogan like behaviour that is the real cause of the problem here.

So by the words bogan you mean white man dont you????????
So therefore you are racist.

link   
reply to post by Karawa

I agree with it just being a piss take and a bit of fun but replace the word (EDIT: 'b-word') with 'n-word' and it's glaringly obvious what the member's point is.

I was just censored by this idiot site so I would like to change the word 'bogan' to 'b-word'.

edit on 26-1-2012 by Garfee because: Because only terms to describe a race other than anglo or 'white'is considered racist by this idiot site.

link   

Originally posted by mungodave
We have pride.

We wear it proudly.

Uhh the Australian flag, the only flag I'd ever pledge my life to , but yea "Love it or Leave".

Simple as that buddies.

edit on 26-1-2012 by Indenu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage
reply to post by LUXUS

Well I find you annoying but .........

Whatever….Aussie knickers in a twist

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

I agree that bogan is an aussie stereotype, I disagree that it's about race. I remember in the 80's anyone could have jokingly been called bogan, regardless of ethnic background.

One thing that is great about Australians is the ability to laugh at ourselves, or so I thought.

Yes it was considered a joke but a very poor joke at the expense of and comparing in a negative and stereotypical light to people of White Australians of Irish & British heritage. No matter who it is aimed at it is a reference to Australian group mentioned.

I also remember a time when the dreaded "W" word for immigrants was a supposed to be joke as well. Not so much a joke now eh? Yes they are comparable!

The word bogan is a negative and stereotypical term meant as an insult saying you are like White Australians of Irish/British background. It might be applied to people of other races but is meant as an insultive comparison to White Australians of Irish/British background. Those who do not consider themselves one and use the term always use it in a negative context as a means to insult!

I suppose you think the term "Pommy Bas^&**" is not a racially offensive term as well? Not telling asking?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
[mo

It is you that just doesnt get it. And how many negroids in Australia have you seen telling other people to get out of the country just because they werent negriod ?????. The reason why that SLANG term bogan only seems to apply to one lot of people in this country, because its the attitudes and behaviour of that one lot of people, albiet a minority of Australians, thank god, that seem to act and behave with this racist attitude of get out of my country, which is nothing more than backward thinking uneducated ignorance in its finest form. Your clearly one sided thread is so disgustingly one sided i'm surprised ATS admin has even allowed it ! So yet agin, the term bogan is NOT racist and you cant handle that term because going by your thread you probably fall into the category of being one ! Hits a little to close to home hey ???

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by phatpackage

Yes it was considered a joke but a very poor joke at the expense of and comparing in a negative and stereotypical light to people of White Australians of Irish & British heritage. No matter who it is aimed at it is a reference to Australian group mentioned.

I also remember a time when the dreaded "W" word for immigrants was a supposed to be joke as well. Not so much a joke now eh? Yes they are comparable!

The word bogan is a negative and stereotypical term meant as an insult saying you are like White Australians of Irish/British background. It might be applied to people of other races but is meant as an insultive comparison to White Australians of Irish/British background. Those who do not consider themselves one and use the term always use it in a negative context as a means to insult!

I suppose you think the term "Pommy Bas^&**" is not a racially offensive term as well? Not telling asking?

If Color'd people want to use the word N****, then we should be able to use "Bogan"

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by WozaMeathed

So by the words bogan you mean white man dont you???????? So therefore you are racist.

More specifically White people of Irish/British decent. Now someone is getting it! Woza is onto what I mean.

AussieDingus you really need to get with the program!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Indenu

If Color'd people want to use the word N****, then we should be able to use "Bogan"

OK but it is called "internalized racism". Basically it shows how you can be racist to your race! But yo must remember how vilification works. It's not about what you say it how you made someone feel. 10 people may think your comments are fine but if one personally feels genuinely vilified by your racial bogan comments then you are a racist and can be prosecuted if that person wishes.

Remember not all black people are cool referring to each other with the N word!

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Exactly it has nothing to do with race and is NOT racist ! And there was a time when we could laugh at ourselves, but that time seems to of passed as bogans cant handle being called bogans do to their own bogan like attiudes and behaviour, and its easier to place the racism card then look in the mirror at their own attitudes and behaviour

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LUXUS

And where are you from, friend? How would you like it if addressed in the manner which you just used with another member? Would it be considered racist if we did?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Garfee

First of all I am of the same race as you so probably not, I was replying to a comment . Nothing to do with your conversation about racist term.

BTW you do like to call British POMs...don’t you think that is also rude, not racist but rude?

posted on Jan, 26 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by AussieDingus

at their own attitudes and behaviour

Yes it is racist because it using the attitudes and behavior of one section of one race of people to have a laugh and insult! Again it is picking on the attitudes and behavior of One section of one race. Therefore discriminating! Whether these attitudes and behavior are right or wrong is not the debate here. It is one groups attitudes and behavior that is being attached to a negative stereotype! Get it?

You are such a racist and can't see the leaves from the tree's. It is a negative stereotypical insult directed to Australians of British/Irish decent. whether a comparison whatever it is there.

And there was a time when we could laugh at ourselves, but that time seems to of passed as bogans cant handle being called bogans do to their own bogan like attiudes and behaviour, and its easier to place the racism card then look in the mirror at their own attitudes and behaviour

Now this is as feeble an excuse to justify a wrong as it gets. You are back peddling big time if you are resorting to a comment like that! Trying to justify racism as a joke! pathetic!

It does not matter what their attitude and behavior are is you have created a negative stereotype about it!

Under your logic the W word is OK to describe Europeans!

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join