It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Military: Much Better Than the Media Portrays

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
The difference is Iranians will die in huge numbers to kill their enemy. Suicide bombs galore, Iraq x 1000. In the Iran Iraq war a lot of Iran's civilians ran into minefields blowing themselves up along with anti personel mines (small explosions, a longer, more awful death) to clear the armies way. This attitude will make it almost impossible to take Iran over unlike Iraq/Afgan where we at least have a good chunk of the populace to work with.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
this is kinda far out there but if iran is as radical as msm claims then dont see why wouldn't be plausible. ok so iran has capability to enrich uranium for fuel rods, so if they did close the straits and just loaded the boats with some of theses rods, explosives and some crazies ready to die for the cause, then what? let america and un make the decision to destroy the area with radiation? what kinda stand off would that be? like i said its far out there and im not exactly sure on how you store the fuel rods if this is even practical in that sense. but would be quit the situation

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

er no, your MOS dictates what you can operate and what you can play with, unless your observant, look at some thing else when you should be paying attention to your surroundings, then yes you could drive one. you might get an Article 15 for it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Please stop grabbing straws Iran has no chance. None period. Stop making up military capability knock it off. They would last a week longer than Iraq. Sorry to dash your hopes. They are no threat and it would not be worth it to go to war with them. I'm not talking 10 year nation building either I'm talking the time it takes to destroy an organized military. You guys/gals sit there and talk scenarios where Russia and China need to team up now you think Iran can do devastation all by itself. Go sit down

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I don't entirely agree. I think what makes them dangerous is that US forces would be close to them in combat and Iran's missiles have the range to strike.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
While I believe that the U.S. will totally smash anything the Iranians throw at them but not without casualties of course, unfortunately we still don't know for sure how they captured that drone the other month do we? That aside crap talk of swarm tactics and millions of speedboats is ridiculous! They're gonna get hammered with some sort of top down multiple strike weapon system while driving through a wall of lead. The worst they'll do is scratch the paint on the U.S boats with their wreckage. Mines? I think the U.S. and it's allies have learned about sea mines since that little spat called ww2 and wave after wave of human guerrilla attacks if the U.S put boots on ground? So what?! The U.S and it's allies have learned especially since Vietnam as displayed in the gulf wars and afghanistan from the soviet failure that they will put soldiers only on required assets and defend what they need with airborne surveillance, apaches, tanks etc , roaming patrols in an extended perimeter without blundering into every scenario they never thought of because they forgot to log on ATS and get a military tactics update.
Jeez! It's not gonna be a walk in the park but Iran is outgunned, outclassed, out thought tactically, I mean let's think back to the last modern military combat they were successfully involved in...er...that's right they havent been. But all of a sudden theyve got some secret advantage that's going to embarrass the Americans? I don't thijk so. I'm more worried about Iranian secret bombs and terrorists on our homeshores than any standard military threat some of you imagine Iran might have.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Maybe they sold the drone to China?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
If we do infact go to war this is how it will go down
1. Bombard them with cruise missile for atleast a week to shell shock everyone
2 The the bombing begins, US may lose a couple jets
3. more cruise missiles for another week or 2
4 ground invasion
If you havent figured it out by now you must be brain damaged

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Maybe iran uses nuke as emp, and when the powers are out, china could start dropping them blind carriers from song class subs, which have been lurking carriers before, without any trace of them around.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by travis911

That would also mean Iran is in range of bigger,faster missiles not to mention 100X more of them.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
i'm pretty sure they've proven that.

hacking a multi-million dollar stealth drone that is supposedly 15 years ahead of anything on earth is not something a third rate military is capable of.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatest
Iran struggled with Iraq.

/thread

This is something people are always saying but always leave out a important fact. It wasn't Iraq/Iran it was America/Iraq/Iran. Saddam was still a good little puppet back then and was eager to go to war for the US. And a couple of other things there was a revolution going on at the time and Iraq also used mustard gas against Iran.
edit on 24-1-2012 by buster2010 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
First of all, How many threads do we have on ATS that is the same dam thing? God forbid someone mimic another thread on a different issue.

It seems like anyone can post a chest thumping thread on ATS anymore when it comes to Iran and their pathetic military.

Who brought up the Iranian naval swarming tactic and how great they are? The only thing the Iranian Navy is going to swarm is the bottom of the Persian Gulf.

By the end of the operation, American ships and aircraft had damaged Iranian naval and intelligence facilities on two inoperable oil platforms in the Persian Gulf, and sunk at least three armed Iranian speedboats, one Iranian frigate and one fast attack gunboat. One other Iranian frigate was damaged in the battle.[8] Sabalan was repaired in 1989 and has since been upgraded, and is still in service with the Iranian navy. In short, Iran lost one major warship and a smaller gunboat. Damage to the oil platforms was eventually repaired and they are now back in service.

en.wikipedia.org...

So much for the Iranian navy and their swarming tactics

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy
Iran has a plethora of 30 odd sixes and an arsenal of Bazookas.
Additionally, they have recently acquired a cache of M4's (tricked out with scopes).
Ive even heard that some members of Iran's military are issues hollow point and silver bullets.
Advantage - Iran.

Voted the most ignorant post on ATS! I own a 30 odd six and I use it for hunting odd deer.

Iran could have nukes and they still would not have an advantage!

How old are you?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Iran does seem to have a strong A2/AD. As the article points out its the geography that makes sense.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by travis911
What about Iran's chemical and bio cap

The same with Iraq during the 1991 Gulf War. Iraq was warned that if they use them then the US would respond in kind with a WMD. The Iraqi's during 1991 didn't dare use them even when they were losing. The day Iran uses chemicals against a US or Coalition force then it is game over for the regime. Such an attack would only embolden the US and Allies to remove the Iranian regime and all its military capability.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

I believed it until I looked really close. Either this crash landed or its a fake. Iran didnt take it over and land it as they claim. A strong radar shot can take down almost anything. Sorry to break anyone's dreams

edit on 24-1-2012 by LongbottomLeaf because: forgot one

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Patriotsrevenge
First of all, How many threads do we have on ATS that is the same dam thing? God forbid someone mimic another thread on a different issue.

It seems like anyone can post a chest thumping thread on ATS anymore when it comes to Iran and their pathetic military.

Who brought up the Iranian naval swarming tactic and how great they are? The only thing the Iranian Navy is going to swarm is the bottom of the Persian Gulf.

By the end of the operation, American ships and aircraft had damaged Iranian naval and intelligence facilities on two inoperable oil platforms in the Persian Gulf, and sunk at least three armed Iranian speedboats, one Iranian frigate and one fast attack gunboat. One other Iranian frigate was damaged in the battle.[8] Sabalan was repaired in 1989 and has since been upgraded, and is still in service with the Iranian navy. In short, Iran lost one major warship and a smaller gunboat. Damage to the oil platforms was eventually repaired and they are now back in service.

en.wikipedia.org...

So much for the Iranian navy and their swarming tactics

Yeah airplanes are real helpful against boats that aren't setup to defend them selves against airplanes.

Iran is ranked 12th in the world so they are hardly a pathetic military. Iran Military Strength

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

I have a 30 aught 6

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
yeah, they almost figured out one of their naval ships had been taken by pirates

I'm sure they would have rescued them eventually

lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join