It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Military: Much Better Than the Media Portrays

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Iran's military had a ton of anti-ship missiles, fast attack boats and submarines that could cause great damage to US forces. It seems the media may not be covering this story the way it should:

the-diplomat.com...

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
i know what you're saying.
the media will only show what it needs to make people see that a war is required.
whenever a country is portayed on the news it often is followed by a war/conflict.
notice how they don't like the word war so much and change it to something like no-fly-zone or military aid or assistance.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by travis911

Get ready to be bombed Travis. The mere mention that someone might be capable of putting up a legitimate fight against the U.S. military will bring all the chest thumpers out of the woodwork.

I for one think the U.S. military needs a major attitude adjustment. Sure, they may have the most sophisticated machinery and weaponry in the world, but they also seem to think that because they do they have an obligation to police the world. As if everything will go down the crapper if they don't. Everything is going down the crapper because they DO. They seem to have a problem with it.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It is also better than what most Americans on ATS believe.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
It's the mines that scare me. If Iran mines the strait the US would have to send mine sweepers in to clear them. Then Iran's missiles would be in range to strike.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Taupin Desciple
I for one think the U.S. military needs a major attitude adjustment. Sure, they may have the most sophisticated machinery and weaponry in the world, but they also seem to think that because they do they have an obligation to police the world. As if everything will go down the crapper if they don't. Everything is going down the crapper because they DO. They seem to have a problem with it.

Not really. It seems like any time something comes up, the UN runs to the US whining for use of our forces to enforce some no fly zone or something along those lines. It isn't the US military asking for this crappy duty, that's for sure.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Hmmmm....wasn't this the same thing everyone was preaching during the first Gulf War. "Hey, US, watch out!!! The Iraqis gots the most bad ass military walkin'!!!"

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 07:55 AM
link   

Let the chest thumping begin. That's what they said about the Iraqi Army before both Gulf Wars, and if you remember Iraq had no problem with beating up on Iran (Iran-Iraq War.) I don't know why people think they are enveloped into thinking that Iran has superiority with weapons and systems. We destroyed they're large naval assets in Operation Preying Mantis. How many 'un-guided' rockets can a small boat hold, how fast do they reload? Now those are better questions. I'm sure, not as fast us.

29INFDIV

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   

I think that if the west tried to invade Iran, Putin would come in from the north and cut the country in half. There would be like a situation like east and west Germany.

Bombing with DU would contaminate the Caspian Sea. It is possible that the Onix missiles are manned by Russians who know how to use them. In Vietnam 4 b52 bombers were brought down in one week by SAM missiles.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by 29INFDIV

Of course the U.S. military has the best trained, best equipped, most technologically advanced equipment in the world. (or so we've all been told.) But it is not hard to circumvent this. An effective guerrilla campaign can negate those strengths. As learned in Vietnam, all that is needed is for the guerrilla forces to blend in with the local populace. So noone knows who the real enemies are. Its a very dangerous thing to let a sense of pride make you think you are invincible. After all, this country was founded by patriots and citizen soldiers that were willing to stand up to what was at that time the worlds most powerful military.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I just don't want my gas price to go up.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Anyone think Iran will try and close the strait?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
What I find to be the most hilarious of all though, is how people think our military doesn't think this stuff out. Do a lot of you really believe our military doesn't know Iran's capabilities? Do you guys think our military will just go right in there guns a blazing? Or, our military might know they have such powerful weapons and we're just going to be stupid and let hardware get taken out, soldiers lives lost, etc? The first three of four posts in this thread act as if they think they are actually smarter and more knowledgeable than our military and it's commanders. Really?

The media doesn't have to report what Iran has or doesn't have. We know what they have and we have an app for that. Don't worry, if this thing comes to fruition, you will see why the media isn't discussing Iran's military capability. Because it's not worth discussing.

But....but, if we don't do something now, why the time is ripe, then one of these days they just might have some dangerous hardware up their sleeves. But as of right now, not to worry about a thing.

Childhood Reminder: I remember when the first gulf war started. It was around 8 or 9 at night. My mom started yelling and screaming at the bottom of the stairs, "Jason, Jason, get down here quick, it's happening, oh my lord it's happening". She was screaming and crying. The Gulf war had just begun and was live on every news station on the tv. I sat there in amazement, my mom sat there and was literally scared to death.

The media and Saddam had my mom so scared that she thought this was the beginning of the end. And yes, I do remember the media always saying that this would be the mother of all battles. This would make Word War 3 seem tame and so on and so on. Oh and who can forget the, "Get your gas masks". Well, we all know now how what really happened. We wiped the 4th largest army out in 96 hours. Also the largest tank army in the world. Which of course was decimated by a 5 to 1 ratio of their tanks against ours. And they didn't destroy not ONE of our tanks.

Sorry, this just reminds me of that.

edit on 24-1-2012 by J.Son79 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Better than the media portrays- yes

A problem for the US- no

Within minutes we could wipe out there navy, within hours we could incapacitate their radar, within days we could have troops on the ground...

But once they are on the ground it will take at least 5 years....that's the problem, we think we can nation build

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Iran has a plethora of 30 odd sixes and an arsenal of Bazookas.
Additionally, they have recently acquired a cache of M4's (tricked out with scopes).
Ive even heard that some members of Iran's military are issues hollow point and silver bullets.
Advantage - Iran.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
What about terrorist cells?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by travis911
Anyone think Iran will try and close the strait?

No, they tell lies all the time. Such as:

"don't come through the Strait again, we won't warn twice, we blow you up"

Yesterday, we went through the Strait and of course no blow us up.

then they say,

"We shut down the Strait, it's nor our "legal" right",

Then they say,

"Nah, we just sell the oil to someone else.

But you want to know what the funniest one of all is? This one coming from Iran:

"Our nuclear program is for peaceful purposes"

Need I say more?

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Iran struggled with Iraq.

/thread

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatest
Iran struggled with Iraq.

/thread

So did America