It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Press TV loses UK licence

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Are you serious!! that is beyond crazy, but it makes sense since your leader is Zionist with Israel first and Canada second.

Use a proxy server to access website and spread the truth. This gets me so pissed off. Canada is censoring and you guys need to have a digital revolt.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Sorry if my explanation wasn't well written as I'm typing on my phone, but Press tv isn't censored yet. Galloway has been denied entry twice though. We even detained Alex Jones one time
his account of the story was rather entertaining minus the Nazi/Soviet censorship tactics that were used that are commonly seen in Israel.

My country is gone to hell in a hand basket and my UK and American friends are in the same boat. We're all in this together since our governments are joined at the hips like Siamese triplets. Most Canadians don't even know it, so when I make fun of other country's sheep, I'm never portraying my people to be any better.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

I also agree that this is a blatant form of censorship.

I fail to see how this can be described as UK state sanctioned censorship. This has nothing to do with censorship or innocent "victimhood" and everything to do with a contemptuous Iranian media service.

This has to do with PressTV not paying a fine levied in 2009 for:

Breach of Rules 7.1 and 8.1 of Ofcom’s Broadcasting Code (“the Code”):

Rule 7.1: Broadcasters must avoid unjust or unfair treatment of individuals or organisations in programmes; and

Rules 8.1: Any infringement of privacy in programmes, or in connection with obtaining material included in programmes, must be warranted.

PressTV is the official mouthpiece of the Islamic Republic and appear to have little regard for adhering to the rules of others. If they fail to pay a fine then they should suffer the consequences. This is not like the absolute press censorship and press control in that beacon of light, that is Iran.

Read the orignal ruling and decide whether the fine was warranted. I think it was. The link opens a PDF:

stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk...

BTW Ofcom is an independent regulator. It is no government controlled stooge. Their role is to ensure a fair playing field. I know it is customary to brand everything as "government controlled", but that's just crass ignorance.

Regards

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Hello Commissar Mao Zedong!!!

Enjoying Obamao's fascist communism aka NDAA2012?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

looking at paraphi's post I don't know what to say!!!

Are people this dumb?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by mkgandhas

Some people are unable or refuse to accept the fact that regulators do things like this under the guise of legality and or our protection.

I won't single anyone out, but some people are always defending these actions as post histories can prove this. Either they believe these things or...I'm sure you get my point

For instance, check Paraphi's post history

Anyone from the UK who supports this must not appreciate the small amount of freedom they have left.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
Anyone from the UK who supports this must not appreciate the small amount of freedom they have left.

Is it a matter of freedom of speech, or is it a matter of everyone should be following the rules that Paraphi posted and Iran simply isn't? His post had some evidence to back it up. (I don't live over there so I dont 'know the climate for this so I'm asking.)
or perhaps a little of both?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Thanks for your insightful thoughts. If you start a thread then you should be prepared to hear a contrary view. If you just want the same old love-in-group-hug-mutual-support-same-worldview type responses then perhaps you should say so and you can get your worldview reinforced without interruption.

In this case, I happen to have done some research so am content with my view. PressTV are not being censored. PressTV are being punished for not paying a fine, which is well within their means to pay. If you read why they were fined, then perhaps blah, blah.

Originally posted by mkgandhas
Are people this dumb?

If you can bring nothing to a discussion without insults then who's the dumb one? You say nothing in your posts.

Regards

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

Is offcom of the same caliber of regulator as the regulators of gas and electric prices? Or the one regulating train prices? or the regulators who regulate the banks? Or the one responsible for standards in schools? Then you stick with your crass ignorance my friend.

The bbc has constantly shown the media ethics inquiry on t.v. Who wants to bet that a press regulator is next.
Who is coordinating all this crap? Why is everyone so blind?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
I fail to see how this can be described as UK state sanctioned censorship. This has nothing to do with censorship or innocent "victimhood" and everything to do with a contemptuous Iranian media service.

This has to do with PressTV not paying a fine levied in 2009 for:

Breach of Rules 7.1 and 8.1 of Ofcom’s Broadcasting Code (“the Code”):

Rule 7.1: Broadcasters must avoid unjust or unfair treatment of individuals or organisations in programmes; and

Rules 8.1: Any infringement of privacy in programmes, or in connection with obtaining material included in programmes, must be warranted.

PressTV is the official mouthpiece of the Islamic Republic and appear to have little regard for adhering to the rules of others. If they fail to pay a fine then they should suffer the consequences. This is not like the absolute press censorship and press control in that beacon of light, that is Iran.

Read the orignal ruling and decide whether the fine was warranted. I think it was. The link opens a PDF:

stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk...

BTW Ofcom is an independent regulator. It is no government controlled stooge. Their role is to ensure a fair playing field. I know it is customary to brand everything as "government controlled", but that's just crass ignorance.

Regards

Can you explain why the same rules do not apply to the thousands upon thousands of times that british broadcasting networks aired the infamous dead bodies of Muahmar Gadafi and Osama Bin Laden?

Airing pictues of a deceased person who recieved a brutal beating prior to death is inhumane and is unfair treatment of an individual in their programmes. I can come up with many more examples of contradictions about this "not with the rules".

PressTV did not hack into celebrities phones and stalk them while asking intrusive questions about supposedly hacked information did they? Why are other rboadcasters allowed to do this?

SkyNews and Foxnews are both part of the murdoch empire and adhere to the same scandal that went on in the NewsOfTheWorld.

Ofcom is not exactly independent as an organization, it adheres to everything the Queen (and the rest of the leeching monarchy). there was even a wikileaks cable suggesting that the royal family and some government entities wanted to silence PressTV simply because of "opinion" or views on subjects such as the Queen hoarding tax money when she does absolutely nothing for the country.

It is a politically backed form of censorship. An abuse of freedom of speech, information, and material.
This is censorship.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   
None of the multiple sources I've read suggests that non payment of the fine was the primary factor. The issue seems to have been where the licence was held.
www.guardian.co.uk...
www.theregister.co.uk...

Here's what George Gallloway had to say last year including a comment on the reasons given for revoking the licence. I have to agee with him about Ofcom. I think it's naive to think it is truly independent.
saebpress.com...

And here is an opinion about Ofcom
www.dailymail.co.uk...
edit on 20-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

No need to get upset, just because I don't agree with you and shared my observation about it doesn't mean you're not allowed to do the same. Now that I look back I see how my previous post where you were mentioned could come across harsher than it was intended so I will try to be nicer to you. It was wrong for me to go off topic and mention your post history and my interpretation of your previous opinions...I apologize.

I did read what the the fines and banning were about, as I mentioned in my OP there are "official" reasons for why this was done, and they do seem to have violated certain regulations, I'm not denying that.

As others including myself have pointed out, to the average person this appears to have semi-hidden motives. Perhaps you haven't noticed but there has been a non stop campaign to demonize Iran and it's interests as this type of censorship is nothing new when it comes to attempting to control the information that is available to the general public.

Please feel welcome to participate in the thread and share your opinion, but please expect me to share mine as well.

Cheers.
edit on 20-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I thought this would have gotten more attention.
A TV channel pulled off the air and banned by the UK.

This is pretty crazy stuff.

They (Press TV) have said that OFCOM has ties to the Royal Family.

www.presstv.ir...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind
They have repeatedly been saying about OFCOM about to revoke PressTV's license on the channel itself, does not surprise me in the slightest. I just checked and it appears to still be airing on Sky for the moment.

Not anymore, it's gone

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Its a bit like Al Jazerra getting their particular hotel room in Baghdad blasted away by a us tank, while the other newspeople looked on in horror , from the same hotel .

Its a squirming sticky pile of lies the msm hurls up on people everyday . Ofcom - just another bunch of tools witha differnet name, they like being used by evil snakes the dirty #s

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

They (Press TV) have said that OFCOM has ties to the Royal Family.

You know what, I wouldn't doubt it. Nothing surprises me anymore

In Canada we have the CRTC who are in the habit of doing the same thing so we're kind of used to it over here but I agree with you, when your country's regulators do things such as this it's impossible to ignore the hypocrisy and hidden motives behind it.

From what I've seen so far, most UK members seem to think this is out of line. I hope the citizens of England make themselves heard about this issue. I'm sure they can figure out other reasons to shut down any media outlet that shares views they don't agree with if they really want to, if not they can just amend some of the current laws and ...voila...no more alternative opinions.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Everyone in The UK, you can still watch PressTV online here:

Watch PressTV Online Here

There are some sites mentioned on PressTV where UK viewers can watch it but I couldn't get them to work, this has always worked perfect for me though, just takes a few seconds to load

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   

there is an existing thread on the press tv situation. doesn't matter to me what others think of this.

as i write it is off the air on the sky box. now the heat is turned up it will be interesting to see what other gubbermint sactioned measures are to be implemented for our safety and well being.

time to adjust the dish. murdock and cronies imo have just made major asses of themselves,again!

f

edit on 20-1-2012 by fakedirt because: to +

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:59 PM
link   
The UK soldiers should be supported publicly. And public should demand war.

So , as a conqueror , UK should stop press TV so that UK soldiers invade and kill in cold blood.

Like Afghanistan and other conquered countries had no satellite channel to cover the truth , Iran should have no channel ,too.

So they can legalize their invasions and attacks.

Then Zionist can kill without minding other nations opposition,

And new false flags can be made easily.

Maybe they are going to crash a paraglider with Bigben and then , accuse Iran for supporting Hezbollah fighters who crashed into Bigben.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
So Murdoch can hack into peoples phones etc. and not get the fox/sky news license revoked?

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join