It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Press TV loses UK licence

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Iran's Press TV loses UK licence

m.guardian.co.uk

Press TV, the Iranian state broadcaster's English-language outlet, has been forced off the air in the UK after Ofcom revoked its licence for multiple breaches of the broadcasting code.

The controversial broadcaster had been threatened with being banned from broadcasting in the UK last year, after the channel aired an interview with Maziar Bahari, an imprisoned Newsweek journalist, that had been conducted under duress.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:06 AM
link   
The UK gets Press TV? Well, not anymore.

Press TV is usually ridiculed when it's mentioned around here, rightfully so too. Regardless of their biased reporting they have come out with quite a few stories that know one else would cover, a lot of them turned out to be true.

The article goes on to explain some valid reasons for the banning so Press TV should not be surprised if these allegations are true. There are strict rules put in place for regulation of the media and you better damn well follow them if you're not part of the "in crowd".

Personally I won't miss their channel since I never watched it, but I will still check out some of their online news. Sure they put their twist on things, not nearly as much as the Western MSM does though. Both sides are nothing but state sponsored propaganda.

You know that our world is messed up when two of the most accurate news outlets come out of Iran and Russia (Press TV and Russia Today).

OK, let the flaming begin

m.guardian.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 20-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
You beat me to it. It is paramount the UK to take press tv off the air before any strike on Iran. This can only possibly be a political move by the UK imo. They are laying the foundation for an Iran strike.

When you actually look at the evidence you van see that its ao flimsy it doesnt even exist IMO. Totally disgusting, and totally wrong.

I shall be boycotting paying my BBC tv license from now on since we do not watch the BBC channel in our house.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
They have repeatedly been saying about OFCOM about to revoke PressTV's license on the channel itself, does not surprise me in the slightest. I just checked and it appears to still be airing on Sky for the moment.

It is a political move and is backed by the Monarchy. Here we are seeing censorship, whether you like PressTV or not, it is a bad move for journalism. The BBC is in the process of fine-tuning their report to try and not look biased against the network as they are scared that Iran will revoke the BBC's persian network for Iranian broadcasting.

I find it amazing how PressTV has covered world events with unbiased views, they cover storys on the palestinians and the terrorist attacks on the Gaza strip by Israel. They covered the UK looting spree last year in full coverage. PressTV also questioned the impact of the royal wedding and the huge amounts of tax payers money wasted. I know these events are mentioned on a statement by PressTV itself, but the fact is their coverage of these stories are an astonishing act of journalism.

SkyNEWS, BBC, ITN, they give in to the governments censorship of certain storys. PressTV has always reported on them, this is why it is being taken off the air, even though facts have been reported with unbiased views.

We see newspapers and TV stations such as FOX, CNN, The Sun, Daily Mail... they have so many false or misleading stories to their names it arouses the question of why these news outlets have not had their licences revoked. you cannot lie in journalism.

The sad thing is i pay a TV license in th UK, and the only channels i will sit down and watch are either PressTV or RT regrding the news. I'll be the one visiting www.presstv.ir... from now on.

They can try to censor freedom of information, but they will never win. even if i have to resort to a foreign media outlet for my regional news, i want to real deal and not a watered down soap opera of propaganda.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

I automatically assumed it was politically motivated due to recent and upcoming events in Iran but avoided doing so because my lack of understanding when it comes to UK media. It's good to hear some opinion from the UK on this, thanks

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

Thank you for sharing your thoughts

I also agree that this is a blatant form of censorship. It angers me that all the other networks are allowed to blatantly lie 99% of the time, but it's to be expected when the whole system is dishonest

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Speaking of recent upcoming events, there was talk in a thread a few days back about guesses as to when a strike could happen on Iran.

I remember someone stating Jan 23, 2012 could be the date as per the new-moon that night. Sounds like a close call. Shut the network off the air, invade the next day, majority of public doesn't have the slightest clue.

If this is the case, they have forgotten about the internet.

I know i'm going out on a limb by assuming this, but what other reason would OFCOM have waited so long for to revoke the countrys only british broadcasting network? OFCOM has been threatening to "shut" PressTV for quite a long time...

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Very good point!

Personally, I don't think they have forgotten about the Internet. We all saw what "anon" did yesterday. Whether you believe it to be the real deal or a FF scenario, it gives TPTB a really good reason to temporarily shut down the Internet. I know Canada and the US have contingency plans for this, and I would imagine all the other warmonger nations are in on it too.

Many connections will remain open so we can continue with banking transactions and stuff, but sites like ATS and Press tv may be off limits. Perhaps I'm stretching it here, it's just a thought.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Old news really this has been going on for years.

I do wonder if they will try and stop citizens from the UK from watching press tv online. If so which other tv news networks are they going to stop the UK citizen from watching. Draconian laws for sure.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:18 AM
link   
As of 3PM GMT the channel has now gone... i can confirm this being a Sky TV subscriber.
Pathetic, all i have to say. It's an attack on free speech.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
You can still watch press TV with your Sky box, you just need to know how. I gave instructions in the other thread about this last night.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   
the powers that be LOVE chinese style net censorship
and the chinese want a TV in every house....
its so easy to censor TV....
government for the sheeple by the wolves for the wolves....
uuuh wait.....
sig hiel!...
edit on 20-1-2012 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   

I happen to work in the broadcast area that broadcasts Press TV amongst many other channels to the Eurobird Satellite which is accesable through your sky box. It is still being broadcast and recent freeze's were due to interference on the transponder that the material is sourced from having a knock on effect to the Sky services. If you wish to view Press TV through your Sky box or any generic satellite reciever then go to services> add channel and put in these parameters 11222 Mhz Horizontal FEC 2/3 Symbol Rate 27.5

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 20-1-2012 by michael1983l because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
You can still watch press TV with your Sky box, you just need to know how. I gave instructions in the other thread about this last night.

I'm watching it now via the livestream on their website, although how would this be done? As long as it doesn't involve modifying the firmware on the sky box or taking it apart i'd like to know if you are willing to explain.

EDIT: Thankyou, sounds simple.
edit on 20/1/2012 by InsideYourMind because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

Agrees, funny how they can criticize other countries such as Syria, China for doing the exact same thing they do themselves. And they trie and get away with it by using the phrase "Inciting Hatred" or "Terrorism".

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Look at the post above yours

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Now, now we cant have the sheep watching the truth about the wars from the actual ground source, they only want to see the edited BBC version, hopefully they dont block the internet feeds or satellite feeds as well.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Well of course, until it comes out or revealed on TV that the government lied with regards to certain conflicts, or broke UN Rules on intervention in Conflicts. Such as Libya. The Public will always have the wool pulled over their eyes.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

Sure they put their twist on things, not nearly as much as the Western MSM does though.

IMO their spin is more blatant. That said, you sometimes get things reported which are not reported at all on western MSM. And I like hearing a different view. I'm all grown up now and can make my own mind up what I believe.
I do think the timing of this is suspect. I wonder what George Galloway (seeing as he presents on Press TV) has to say about it?
edit on 20-1-2012 by starchild10 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by starchild10

Canada won't even allow George into the country because his ties to "terrorism".

Supporting Palestinian rights can ban you from Canada, I would hate to find out what the consequences for questioning Western MSM lies about Iran would be.

I would not be surprised if the Press tv domain was censored by our IP's.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join