It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Press TV loses UK licence

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by mnmcandiez

Yep.

Ofcom is a disgrace and has no legitimate reason to shun Press TV from the air unless it first wipes away the likes of Fox and SkyNews.

They state that Press TV "invaded" a journalist's privacy during 2009 as the reason behind the £100k fine. Although i don't see how this is relevant in the slightest, turn on SkyNews and a few times a week they will talk about some celebrity "story" where some scandal has taken place and there are no actual sources which can verify it. I mean, these kinds of "news" can be seen as an invasion of privacy or even defamation of the individual in question. It makes me wonder if the phone-hacking scandal has infact been going on and still continuing within alot of Murdoch owned networks.

There is also the fact that when Wikileaks released the US embassy cables... there were several documents discussing methods of removing Press TV from the air in the united kingdom. Aparently they say the Queen and the Royal Familiy were not happy with the way that Press TV presented cases on the monarchy, and the fact that the Queen does in fact hoard tax payer money when she does squat all for the country supposedly upset her. Seems we have to have a biased view in order to be part of the "free press".

However i believe there is more to it that just the Queen's royal ego. Press TV reported alot of the horrific crimes involved in the Iraq / Afghan war commited by both the US and UK troops... Press TV also reported on palestinian conflicts with unbiased views and even had reporters out on the streets during the "riot" in the UK last year before any other news network. I believe it is a mix of the monarchy and the government that has chosen to remove the news channel from UK TV.

There is no denying that Ofcom will bow to the demands of the royal family without question, and this is what has clearly happened here. It's astonishing how this story has recieved hardly any coverage in the media in the UK aswell... i in fact have not seen one story about the removal of Press TV from any networks other than a small story on the Guardian (newspaper) website, and PressTV itself just prior to it being removed from TV.

It just goes to show, that if you do not bow down and praise to the taxing elite, you become silenced and removed from society. The whole thing is as political as it can get.

They always say here in the UK how great of a country it is for freedom of the press, and how journalism is entirely free in this country... yet it's nothing but a scandal in itself.

This is what i think; The lyrics are fact even to this day.

...we all love our queen

(PS, sorry for the long post!)

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   
So PressTV happened to break some rules and regulations so they get taken off the air.

Surely it's a coincidence that this is the tv channel of the same country that the UK has openly threatened to take military action against and the media constantly tries to portray as sinister and sneaky and up to no good?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
From what I have read and heard.

Press TV forced a person to say what they wanted to hear, by torture, they then failed to pay a fine, citing that the UK had removed bank support, of course as a government agency, they could have found a way to pay, they just thought it better to use it as an excuse.

Finally the licences has to be held by a UK company, Press TV used to have a UK office which they moved back to the home country, so they themselves removed themselves from the licence.

So it is all self inflicted and a great bit of publicity bluffing, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by dowot

so, presstv are guilty of torture? can you supply some information on this? i'm intrigued.

regarding the bank accounts, yes they had their bank accounts frozen and became unable to operate without it.
the osbourne move to deny them any financial services as a whole (iran) dried up any monetary assets which were critical in running a functioning entity or business.

please supply links for the torture statement, i would like to look into it.

regards fakedirt.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by fakedirt
regarding the bank accounts, yes they had their bank accounts frozen and became unable to operate without it.
the osbourne move to deny them any financial services... (etc)

I am sure the Iranians are capable of paying a £100K fine, either directly or through another nation.

The "we cannot pay 'cos you have frozen our banks" is a silly excuse.

Iran have not paid the fine because they like the victim status and milking the publicity. You just need to look at some of the things being said on this thread to see how repressive Iran is able able to get support from the most unlikely situations.

Regards

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

the osbourne move to deny them any financial services... (etc)

I am sure the Iranians are capable of paying a £100K fine, either directly or through another nation.

The "we cannot pay 'cos you have frozen our banks" is a silly excuse.

Iran have not paid the fine because they like the victim status and milking the publicity. You just need to look at some of the things being said on this thread to see how repressive Iran is able able to get support from the most unlikely situations.

Regards

paying the fine: of course. but under the threat of explusion would you? how about the letters sent to ofcom and club asking for explanations? all ignored?

frozen accounts: it may be worth presenting a timeline on this matter.

'Iran have not paid the fine because they like the victim status and milking the publicity. You just need to look at some of the things being said on this thread to see how repressive Iran is able able to get support from the most unlikely situations.'

point me in the right direction here. btw i cannot view videos/clips. all media outlets have agendas. presstv is no different to any of the other. they just happen to find themselves on the other side of the playground due to articles on the gaza conflict, royal wedding and a host of uncomfortable political truths that grinds the teeth of the present uk government and sub-ordinates.

aside from this sidestep, i asked the poster above for proof of torture claims. this i can and will wait for.

regards fakedirt
edit on 22-1-2012 by fakedirt because: yours sincerely

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Hi fakedirt.

This was something that was said on a BBC radio broadcast, but I thought I had read a reference to it in an earlier post. But I can't find that, so I will try and find some proof, but if I do not, be sure I will be back to apologise...

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dowot

Fakedirt.

OK I have to retract the word "Torture" and replace it with "Duress" which sort of means a similar thing and can, I suppose, extend from tickling someone to holding a gun to their or another family members head.

But my apologises for hyping it a bit as I have NO idea what duress the journalist was actually under.

I did find a reference, on the BBC web site. www.bbc.co.uk... where it says:-

"The £100,000 fine was imposed last year after the network broadcast an interview with imprisoned Newsweek and Channel 4 journalist Maziar Bahari, which the Ofcom said had been conducted under duress."

The article referenced seems to offer a simple outline of the case, but maybe you see another side?

Be interested in comments.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Doing a little more research and I came upon this description of Maziar Bahari's imprisonment.

Taken from the Huffington Post, not a periodical that I read so no idea how accurate it is at reportage..

www.huffingtonpost.com...

"Maziar Bahari did not see the face of his interrogator. Bahari, 42, was blindfolded or faced a wall as the accusations and questions--often it was hard to tell the difference--kept coming at him. And always the interrogator told him the same thing: "No one on the outside cares about you. Everyone has forgotten you.".

Further reference comes from www.npr.org... again I have no idea how accurate this report is.

"Bahari, who was never told why he was arrested, was interrogated and tortured repeatedly during his incarceration. He was questioned about his associations with other journalists. After Secretary of State Hillary Clinton pushed for his release, Bahari was freed on Oct. 17 and was present in London a week later when his wife gave birth to their first child"

Sure it is all hyped up as most press reports are, but I guess his stay, as a suspected spy, was not in a 5 or even a 2 star hotel environment.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by dowot

i'm off to la-la land soon but here goes.

lets look at the bbc 1st. as far as nature documentaries and related subjects, i have but praise for the corporation.
when it comes to news, well, that is another matter. they have an agenda and i am sure you will pick this up as you go along. they are not bound by ofcom at all. they have their own accountability to answer to. their coverage of the conflict area of gaza is appalling as is their coverage of the arab winter. they are as guilty of bias as the next news outlet.
what gets me is the blatant need by those in higher seats to decide what we can and cannot be allowed to see,hear and mull over in our own ways.

when choice is denied, what is left?

regarding the torture claim. i accept you mis-read this and hopefully it will evaporate into the ether.

a question for you. have you researched how many presstv and rttv journalists have been detained,beaten/tortured?
are you aware of the direct shelling of journalists in the hotel clearly marked in iraq during the invasion of, resulting in death and injuries to journalists. the same who shelled the hotel (during that period) targeted the al-jazeera headquarters knowing full well who was in the building, after al-jazeera informed the military occupiers of their presence?
the quality of journalism suffered then and continues to suffer. censorship is evolving on many platforms and i suspect those with little grasp of the facts from both sides of the issue will eventually fall into the trap of blind acceptance to the spin and mickey mouse dramas that await.

nighty-night fakedirt.

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
and we live in the land of the free.. journalism and free speech are going right down the pan. its a good thing we still have the net.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by purplemer

a good thing indeed purplemer, for now. this war on internet freedom isn't going away anytime soon. those who wish to stifle our freedoms better watch out. i'll be asking dr john gris gris for that missing flavour in the voodoo chili.
regards f.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:29 AM
link   
We have been forced to pull it from the satellite and webstreaming by OFCOM.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

webstreaming pulled? can you elaborate a bit more for me?

are ofcom planning on taking out transmissions from these birds?

hot bird 8 (13e)
3/4
h

eurobird1 (28.5e)
2/3
h

ses astra (19/2e)

phone ofcom on uk 0300 123 3333 to voice any concerns you may have regarding censorship issues.

regards fakedirt.

btw...

Press TV has extensively given coverage to Britain's support for autocratic Persian Gulf monarchies and the legitimacy it gives to the dictatorial regimes in Bahrain and Saudi Arabia.

In an interview with Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) channel 2 on January 21, Press TV's CEO Dr. Mohammad Sarafraz scoffed at Ofcom's decision, saying it would not be able to curb the wave of awakening in Britain and across the world.

He noted that the United States and the West have lost their democratic disguise, which benefitted them for years, and their media outlets are facing a serious crisis as their “hypocrisy” is being exposed.

Sarafraz stated that the “medieval” strategy of banning the Press TV office cannot silence the alternative media outlet, adding that those seeking a “different voice” will find a way to access the broadcaster.

www.presstv.ir...
edit on 23-1-2012 by fakedirt because: aspartame free

hot news off the vine.. the eu has agreed on an oil embargo with regards to iran. countries like greece import a third of their oil from iran. spain and italy import from iran as well as possibly other countries keeping it quiet!
given the state of their finances and austerity measures, i suspect this eu move will ramp up the price at the pump.
cutting ones nose off to spite ones face methinks.
edit on 23-1-2012 by fakedirt because: related stuff

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Morning fakedirt, hope you slept well.

Having done some research, and I admit it is not an indepth investigation, the fact that npr.org use the words.."was interrogated and tortured repeatedly" (See my previous post for link) tends to vindicate the word I used, the fact that the BBC downplays this and uses the word "Duress" seems to indicate that they are tending to play down what might have occurred. This seems a rather fairer and less biased report.

As to your question, "how many presstv and rttv journalists have been detained,beaten/tortured?" No I have not looked at this aspect, although I am a bit puzzled as to who would carry out this action and why.

You are right when you say.."i suspect those with little grasp of the facts from both sides of the issue will eventually fall into the trap of blind acceptance to the spin and mickey mouse dramas that await." and it is to the credit of ATS that there is a forum, where knowledge can be questioned, corrected or confirmed and thus educate the people so avoiding a 1984 scenario.

Here's to a peaceful day.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

In an interview with Islamic Republic of Iran Broadcasting (IRIB) channel 2 on January 21, Press TV's CEO Dr. Mohammad Sarafraz scoffed at Ofcom's decision, saying it would not be able to curb the wave of awakening in Britain and across the world.

I love people like this. Endlessly complaining from a podium of righteousness. But I suppose they have an audience of eager ears lapping up all the tosh they spout out, and failure to act in such a way could severely damage their career. He probably had his fingers crossed.

You have to remember that this man is embedded in a regime which imposes high levels of censorship, including the control and free movement of correspondents et al.

Whether you want to believe the situation, or not, the reason why PressTV has been banned in the UK is because they have not paid a £100,000 fine. That’s the law. Live with it. If PressTV pay up, then they will probably be allowed to continue broadcasting their trivia again.

To be conspiratorial, Iran is creating this situation, milking it and playing the victim.

For the record, OFCOM imposes fines for all sorts of things, with some fines going into the millions. The fine for PressTV is not really significant.

Regards

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   

eurobird1 (28.5e)
2/3
h

In reply to the part about ofcom taking it entirely off the air... i have been wondering if the signal for that satellite is being jammed, i have tried entering the sat info for eurobird into my sky box, manually adding a channel. Although the channel name gets found, it constantly shows a blue picture whereas other channels it will pick up from the same frequency will stream fine.

It's either that, or Sky have sneakily put some of their own blocking measures into place.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by dowot

hello dowot

i slept very well indeed thank you.

regarding the interrogation and repeated torture, was this claimed to have been
instigated in any way by presstv? i am assuming this occured under the iranian
securitat. forgive me i have been busy today so no research has been conducted
on my part, however, i will follow this up in the next few days so bear with me.

regards to the detention/beatings of journalists from the above concerns, it is
clear to me that hostility is shown towards these journalists as they do not tow
the line of consensus that the western media with safe embedded positions in theatres
of conflict enjoy even when press cards are show. uncomfortable transmissions
of the true state of america for example, the tent city in the forest outside of
new york showing the homeless which was broadcast on rttv only, imo ramped up the
hostility towards that media channel. the female journalist on the ground covering
the initial occupy/protests at a slightly later date was detained along with the
camera and sound crew. they claimed they were roughly handled during this incident.

a search of key words already presented within the thread will glean some information
that will assist you in formulating a handle on this expanding situation. i stress again
all media outlets have bias and agendas. it just so happens presstv and rttv are frowned
upon in western media/political circles.

blind acceptance to the spin etc... this is critical in a media war to focus the majority
of society away from harsh realities out there and portray the vested interests as actually
giving a damn about the people and their welfare. the truth is indeed out there and we all
have a duty/obligation to get as close as dammit to it. we will not get nearer the actual
facts when censorship hinders that intention. you, me and everyone else have to find that
truth for ourselves and sharing the information in an honest and sincere manner is critical
for understanding the whole. one-sided doesn't cut it for me, i have travelled and spent
time amongst various tribes and cultures in the middle east and north africa and made many
friends along the way. i have spent time in israel attemping to understand both sides of
the issue and have also made many friends there too. 24 years of backpacking experience and studying
the issues at hand have given me insight into these conflicts and issues.

regards fakedirt
edit on 23-1-2012 by fakedirt because: s

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

hello paraphi

thanks for the reply.

here goes.

with regards to your first two statements, one could easily transpose these statements
into the western context.

i respectfully disagree with your third statement regarding the banning due to non-payment.
i would appreciate answers from you to questions offered in my last parlez as well as the
question, when choice is denied, what is left?

regards fakedirt.

edit on 23-1-2012 by fakedirt because: added sugar.

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

hello insideyourmind

i gleaned the information from the presstv website. i tried inputting on the sky box
but it didn't happen. i assume another decoder/receiver, dish and orientation may be
required for this. i wasn't really surprised that it didn't work actually.
there may very well be jamming tech active on this frequency. may be worth investigating
when time and obligations allow.
regards fakedirt.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join