It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran's Press TV loses UK licence

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by fakedirt
with regards to your first two statements, one could easily transpose these statements
into the western context.

? How? No Western government imposes censorship like Iran. There is no comparison.

i respectfully disagree with your third statement regarding the banning due to non-payment.

I respectfully point out that this is documented. Everything else is just opinion. OFCOM regularly fines organisations who infringe the rules. PressTV is no different, except that it is Iranian government funded and controlled.

i would appreciate answers from you to questions offered in my last parlez as well as the
question, when choice is denied, what is left?

You did not really pose questions, a few statements maybe. Choice is only being denied because PressTV have put themselves in a position by not paying a fine, levied for legitimate reasons. Had PressTV paid the fine then their broadcasts would not have been stopped. If you have not done so you should read the OFCOM ruling which led to the imposition of the fine - you may not agree with the reasons, but they are detailed.

Thing is, unless you can proffer evidence that the Independent Regulator OFCOM has been nobbled and has somehow started a programme of censorship, I will have to rely on the compelling evidence so presented in the public records. All else is opinion.

Like I said, perhaps the conspiracy here is how Iran plays a game to perpetuate the victim status. They’ll pay the fine and be back on the air in a couple of weeks, but only after they’ve had a good round of complaining that somehow they are being hard done by. They’ll get a few more supports, the curious interested and maybe harden a few hearts of those convinced that the institutions of the West are corrupt and bad and the Islamic Republic is all that is good in the world.

Regards

posted on Jan, 23 2012 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

western governments do impose censorship. d notices i am led to understand are
couriered around media institutions, are a form of collective censorship or intent
to bury news. they are all guilty of this, worldwide to a greater or lesser degree.

uk censorship for example regarding the trafigura toxic waste gag order against the
guardian c.2009. how many of the general public know anything about this?

with regards to the banning due to non payment, i will give the ofcom documentation
and ruling looking at.

'Thing is, unless you can proffer evidence that the Independent Regulator OFCOM has
been nobbled and has somehow started a programme of censorship, I will have to rely
on the compelling evidence so presented in the public records. All else is opinion.'

fair shout.
considering this is a work in progress
which is unfolding around a bigger issue namely increased presence through the straits,
it is in my opinion part of a collective effort towards a standoff.

'Like I said, perhaps the conspiracy here is how Iran plays a game to perpetuate the
victim status. They’ll pay the fine and be back on the air in a couple of weeks,
but only after they’ve had a good round of complaining that somehow they are being
hard done by. They’ll get a few more supports, the curious interested and maybe harden
a few hearts of those convinced that the institutions of the West are corrupt and bad
and the Islamic Republic is all that is good in the world. '

i will consider your statement above. i very much doubt presstv will be back on the sky box
any time soon. one just never knows!
with regards to your last sentence it takes all sorts. there will always be extremists
no matter what religious/political/financial arrangement they operate by.

regards fakedirt.

p.s. my opinion is i am denied this choice of broadcast on the sky platform. i surf all
14 news channels. nhk world news japan got pulled for some reason sometime after the
tsunami/reactors disaster occured.presstv now. i have some old sat kit i can use and i am
in the process of buying a receiver from a popular appliance store. i certainly won't take
the chance it won't happen again by having an alternative method of receiving transmission.

f.
edit on 23-1-2012 by fakedirt because: ''

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

hello paraphi
i have the report and have given it a lookover. it will take me some time to get through it in a thorough fashion so please bear with me.
pdf link to the report..
stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk...

also another perspective on this
eccleza.net...

regards fakedirt
edit on 24-1-2012 by fakedirt because: added sugar

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
reply to post by paraphi

hello paraphi.
i humbly retract my misguided assertion of the banning due to non-payment on the strength of the
findings from ofcom. you have got me thinking a bit deeper about this so i guess a deconstruction excercise is overdue on my part. at present my study time is limited but i wish to convey to you a willingness to discuss these issues as and when i get a more refined grasp of both ofcom and the presstv concern.

regards fakedirt.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   
'Geoffrey Alderman, a self-declared Zionist and a pro-Israeli hawk, has deplored Ofcom for
banning Press TV.' - gleaned from the site below

www.presstv.ir...

it's quite interesting to read that an individual of such affiliations strives for a kind
of balance here.
of interest to me although bias could be at work here are the comments below the article in question.

still considering the ruling.

regards fakedirt.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
PressTV (Islamic Republic Propaganda) and Russia Today (Russian Federation Propaganda). I can't stand either of them. They are far worse than the MSM and that's pretty damn bad. Of course this is just my opinion. I find it funny that people observe either of these media sources as valid or truthful though.

Everybody has there own thing though.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Flint2011

agreed, each to their own
all is in the eye of the beholder.
f

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join