It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Policeman repeatedly punches restrained cricket fan at "big bash" game

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Just saw this on the news here.

After at least four security officers restrained a spectator, a police officer repeatedly punches him. Another spectator is heard yelling "DON'T PUNCH HIM!" in the background.

IMO, there is no excuse for this behaviour. Naturally, the police are defending the officer.

Here is the news article that I originally found.

au.news.yahoo.com...

The scary thing is, it happened in front of a lot of people. Many kids would have seen this too.

Ox

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
As an American living in Sydney. I have to say.. Where's the problem? I think the Police in this country are way in over their heads with not enough power, not enough training and too many fools on the streets that cry any time they're given a speeding ticket. I think the only thing the officer did wrong was use his hands.
What we don't see is what started it. That officer had probably enough of that pork chop and dealt with him. The police here get too much grief for not being allowed to do their jobs.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:19 AM
link   
I dare say tha t#stable has been asked to take leave imediently,mafia stand over tactics, occupy Sydney must have taken its toll on this idiot, he must be charged and punished,cause if I did that to a cop the prick would would probably shoot me. More spectators should have stood up and tried to stop the officer because if you think about it the cops are a little out numbered.

Ox

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by BULLETINYOURHEAD

The fool was resisting arrest.. At NO time should ANYONE resist a police officer.. As I said, we are seeing one side of the story, there's no telling what had happened before to warrant this officer's behavior. The guy in question should have complied with the police officer and security and been arrested. There is NO reason to ever ever resist arrest. It's not like that officer was just arresting him for no reason. There's always a reason behind it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
reply to post by NuclearPaul

Like everything of this nature it is hard to make a judgement on these sort of things a based of seconds of footage and not seeing the whole sequence of events.

However the footage does not look good. In my opinion the security had the man fully restrained as I could not even see the man underneath it all. It appeared the policeman over reacted and did not need to throw punches. (technically awful punches and obviously a weak fighter ..... since minimum height & weight requirements were removed from being the Police there are now many wimps in the force who just hide behind guns, tazers & pepper spray compared to how they used to be.... as told to me by older police I know - not my opinion or words).

My experience and training in the security industry taught me that unless you are in a direct "Street Fighting" style situation you never throw punches or kicks. You use wrestling moves & hold techniques to get your job done. As it is job not a fight. And no I never needed amphetamines like some I had the natural buzz!

Seems like this Policeman's pride was hurt and he went ballistic. A NSW Policeman spokesman has already said what was done was justified. The biggest problem I see with it all is I will lay money the person involved was violent (as witnessed by others around) and deserved to be thrown out of the ground. But because of what the policeman did to him suddenly his behavior is dismissed and he is now the victim. What would be fair is the person is punished for their violent indiscretion and the policeman is punished for his.

But again if I saw all the footage of the whole incident my mind could change

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
As an American living in Sydney. I have to say.. Where's the problem? I think the Police in this country are way in over their heads with not enough power, not enough training and too many fools on the streets that cry any time they're given a speeding ticket. I think the only thing the officer did wrong was use his hands.
What we don't see is what started it. That officer had probably enough of that pork chop and dealt with him. The police here get too much grief for not being allowed to do their jobs.

I understand that in America it is socially acceptable for police to beat the crap out of people who annoy them, but it is not like that here. That is why you can hear a lady yelling "stop punching him".

He's actually very lucky Aussie cricket fans are calmer that some other sporting fans. Otherwise it could have ended up like this:

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   

And as per usual you will find Officers will get away with their unacceptable behavior. Happens all the time no matter where Police abuse takes place.

Lets hope this officer is held to account over his actions.

Ox

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by Ox

I understand that in America it is socially acceptable for police to beat the crap out of people who annoy them, but it is not like that here. That is why you can hear a lady yelling "stop punching him".

He's actually very lucky Aussie cricket fans are calmer that some other sporting fans. Otherwise it could have ended up like this:

Where do you get the idea that it's ok for our police to beat people who annoy them? Our Police use Physical force on people who need it. They use a Force Heirarchy or Force Continuum in the steps they take when escalating something. The problem is when our police use it the public doesn't cry about it. Here, the public cries about everything except what they need to (but that's another thread). I'll say this, I work in the Law Enforcement industry here, I've used force on people, I put a very angry young man in a rather painful wrist lock at a festival last year much to his disliking after he was asked by security to leave, fought with them, told me where to go and took a swing at me, the whole thing was caught on some onlooker's iphone all the while I was being berrated by the onlookers however what you saw on the video footage was me picking up this turd by his arm after he took a swing at me, told me where to go fought with security and so forth. So again, don't let what is being shown via the media persuade you to believe that this fool wasn't doing anything wrong. As I said. Police don't just randomly pick people to arrest for no reason. This chump was probably drunk and decided to be the All Australian Hero and fight the officer.. And he paid for it.

I applaud the officer.. I'd like to buy the man a beer.. And a baton to use next time.

Ox

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousFem

All I am saying is that we didn't see what happened prior to this officer reacting. We are seeing a tiny snippet of what happened.
And I'll say this.. and I want you all to really think about this. Until you've done the job, don't judge those who are doing it.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Ox

It doesn't matter if you are resisting arrest or not,punching the suspect is out of the question.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Ox

Well according to the article, a man did ring a radio station claiming that the guy "arose to swing at the police".

But the fact the cop waited until he was restrained before punching him several times was very unethical IMO. He should have taken into consideration that there were a lot of people around who don't understand the frustrations of his job and will view him as a thug.

If the police thought that this behaviour was necessary, they should have at least left it until he was back at the station and out of the public's eye.

Ox

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019

It's called the Force Continuum. Google it. Please. It gives the right to Police to allow them to one up a person's use of force. If someone swings on the officer it gives the officer the right to use a baton or hand held weapon. If that person one ups with a knife then the officer is LEGALLY ALLOWED to one up.
It's well within the officer's right to use force to affect an arrest on someone that is resisting or using force against them.

Ox

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   

There you go, A "witness" said so.. Like I said. What we see and what that officer saw are two very different things, someone earlier said you couldn't even see the guy with all the security piled on... Therefore you couldn't see what that guy was doing to the officer, he might have been spitting, believe me if someone spits on me, they'll do it once and once only.

If the officer had have punched the man when they were "back at the station" as you suggested then it would be Police brutality and Assault on a restrained prisoner and I would expect the officer to see a judge to explain his actions. It wasn't the case, the man was on the ground and fighting so the officer fought to restrain the man and to get him in custody. We are all going to have our own opinions on this. I stand by mine.. You may stand by yours.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   

I've been to many footy games surrounded with plenty of Police officers here in Sydney......they've all been great and very professional.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

This little piggy went "weeee-weeeee-weeeee" all the way home.

More of this needs to happen before the police understand how much they are really hated by society anymore. To all LEOs out there, police your own little piggies before society decides to do it for you. That's a warning, not a threat.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
I applaud the officer

I applaud the officer for being a dumbass and hitting a man this day and age with his bare fists. I pray the other man has HIV and now this scum bag has it too. Sweet justice.

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 05:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
Until you've done the job, don't judge those who are doing it.

How about those who do the job start policing their own little piggies among their own ranks? Too hard a job as you are all corrupt?

posted on Jan, 20 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ox
reply to post by BULLETINYOURHEAD

The fool was resisting arrest.. At NO time should ANYONE resist a police officer..

maybe aussies need laws like these or to dig them up out of obscurity if they're already on the books

Originally posted by Zanti Misfit
Your Rights as a U.S. Citizen Against Unlawful Arrest ..........

“Citizens may resist Unlawful arrest to the point of taking an officer’s life if necessary.” Plummer v. State, 136 Ind. 306. This premise was upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States in the case: John Bad Elk v. U.S., 177 U.S., 529. The court stated: “Where the officer is killed in the course of the disorder which naturally accompanies an attempted arrest that is resisted, the law looks with very different eyes upon the transaction, when the officer had the right to make the arrest, from what it does if the officer had no right. What may be murder in the first case might be nothing more than manslaughter in the other, or the facts might show that no offense was commited.”

“An arrest made with a defective warrant, or one issued without affidavit, or one that fails to allege a crime is within within jurisdiction, and one who is being arrested, may resist arrest and break away. If the arresting officer is killed by one who is so resisting, the killing will be no more than an involuntary manslaughter.” Housh V. People, 75 111. 491; reaffirmed and quoted in State v. Leach, 7 Conn. 452; State v. Gleason, 32 Kan. 245; Ballard v. State, 43 Ohio 349; State v. Spaulding, 34 Minn. 3621.

“When a person, being without fault, is in a place where he has a right to be, is violently assaulted, he may, without retreating, repel by force, and if, in the exercise of his right of self defense, his assailant is killed, he is justified.” Runyan v. State, 57 Ind. 80; Miller v. State, 74 Ind. 1.

“These principles apply as well to an officer attempting to make an arrest, who abuses his authority and transcends the bounds thereof by the use of unnecessary force and violence, as they do to a private individual who unlawfully uses such force and violence.” Jones v. State, 26 Tex. App. 1; Beaverts v. State, 4 Tex. App. 1 75; Skidmore v. State, 43 Tex. 93, 903.

“An illegal arrest is an assault and battery. The person so attempted to be restrained of his liberty has the same right to use force in defending himself as he would in repelling any other assault and battery.” State v. Robinson, 145 ME. 77, 72 ATL. 260.

“Each Person has the right to resist an unlawful arrest. In such a case, ther person attempting the arrest stands in the position of a wrongdoer and may be resisted by the use of force, as in self defense.” State v. Mobley, 240 N.C. 476, 83 S.E. 2d 100.

“One may come to the aid of another being unlawfully arrested, just as he may where one is being assaulted, molested, raped or kidnapped. Thus it is not an offense to liberate one from the unlawful custody of an officer, even though he may have submitted to such custody, without resistance.” Adams v. State, 121 Ga. 16, 48 S.E. 910.

“The carrying of arms in a quiet, peaceable, and orderly manner, concealed on or about the person, is not a breach of the peace. Nor does such an act of itself, lead to a breach of the peace.”
Wharton’s Criminal and Civil Procedure, 12th Ed., Vol. 2: Judy v. Lashley, 5 W. Va. 628, 41 S.E. 197.

I am sure some Police Officers in this Country are Unaware about these Court Decisions when Overstepping their Authority . People who know the Law should Remind them about it from Time to Time for the sake of their Own Safety . The Woman in this Video was Intimidated by that Police Officer because she was just Not Aware of her Rights and Cow Downed to his Intimidation of her Ignorance . She should take this matter to a Lawyer Immediately and press charges against him IMO .

and beating up a man restrained by 4 others
has nothing to do with force continuum.

it's just a throwback dumb cop usurping the role of punishment that "belongs" to the courts
a dumb cop who needs to learn his place.

edit on 20-1-2012 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

Ox

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

"Citizens may resist unlawful arrest".... How do we know this was unlawful.. And what exactly is an unlawful arrest? Like I said, this whole thing is full of hearsay, Only the people involved know why the guy was being arrested. However the police aren't going to arrest someone for no reason, especially in this country, the police here are as soft as puppy poop. Believe me when I say that. I've been here 18 months now and I can count on one hand the amount of police I've SEEN on the streets and I live downtown. It's not like the USA where you see police patrolling the streets. Here they patrol their little police stations and that's it and most of them are children (under 21).

Like I said before and I'll continue to say, we don't know what sparked it however I don't think the officer was wrong in his actions.

posted on Jan, 31 2012 @ 04:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Ox

i think you must be a dirty rotten copa!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join