It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Throwing Weight Now

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Them having nukes has little to do with it. It is about other things I believe. I think we agree that war is a last solution. The UK and the US have gotten to the point were if we were to stop fighting we would lose to much. It is kinda a catch 22

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

I do agree with you if Cameron brought us into another conflict with our boys feet in Iran that would be it for him, But they seem to want to leave a legacy behind them don't they? and what better way then acting all tough in a war situation?
I think they will use Nato first (Like you said). But if Iran shoots down a plane of ours that's it he will get all commander in chief like.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   
reply to post by sitchin

No we aren't skint...as stumason has so clearly demonstrated earlier in this thread.

Where stu and I probably differ is I believe Cameron is forcing through these 'austerity measures' to take the UK back to some Victorianesque society, along with all it's inequalities, whereas stu believes they are much needed and for the good of the nation as a whole....but that is a discussion for a different thread......the essential point here is that we are most definately not 'skint'.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

The UK and the US have gotten to the point were if we were to stop fighting we would lose to much. It is kinda a catch 22

I agree with this. Too many resources (clandestine and other) have been committed to conflict thus far.

Very sad really.

Rev

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

No aircraft carriers. Naval destroyers costing a billion pounds apiece ... each armed with one big gun. Helicopters which can't fly in the dark, the rain or the wind. Brand new fighter airplanes being chopped up as spares to fix others ... the list is endless.

I do believe they have 2 carriers, with 2 still building. Chinooks, Merlins, Pumas, Gazelles and Lynxs are fully equipped to fly at night, much less "the rain or the wind", with crews expertly trained. The Typhoon aeroplane is not being cannibalised, not sure where you'd get that idea from.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo

Originally posted by Subjective Truth

The UK and the US have gotten to the point were if we were to stop fighting we would lose to much. It is kinda a catch 22

I agree with this. Too many resources (clandestine and other) have been committed to conflict thus far.

Very sad really.

Rev

It seems borders and wars are being shared at this point in time. I believe the US,UK,Australia are some how tied together with more then NATO.

Maybe I am wrong but we sure seem to say the same things. And against the same countries. Even the media tows similar lines.
edit on 5-1-2012 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Your assumption is completly wrong, the media knows nothing but sensationalism. Don't be fooled, the UK has the worlds 6th highest funded armed forces. The best and most modern nuclear submarines and a very experienced expiditionary force. We would wipe the floor with Iran on our own, no help needed.
reply to post by michael1983l

Fairly certain it was the 3rd highest funded, behind China and the USA.

Lol... that USA defence spending figure. Does anyone even bother to check where that $692 billion goes? Black projects, CIA clandestine operations, building DUMBs perhaps?

Was that "missing" $2.3 trillion ever found?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Subjective Truth

Of course it's about nukes, that's the only reason there are UN approved sanctions and calls for more sanctions from all and sundry!

No-one with even a modicum of intelligence wants Iran to gain nuclear weapons....and that includes China and Russia.

That's why if we work with them and help them develop a safe nuclear power programme we can monitor other developments.
Sanctions are merely ostracising Iran and firming both their resolve and their belief that they are alone in the world and need nuclear weapons to help defend themselves.
In addition the only people who suffer through sanctions are the ordinary Iranians, the mullahs etc will all be perfectly ok and they certainly won't divert funding from their nuclear programme to ease any suffering, if anything they'll incease funding as a matter of urgency.

As for your question about the funding etc of the BBC; try the search function or google it - it's all very open and transparent and been discussed on numerous occassions here.

link   
reply to post by Morg234

Maybe dolphins with laser's?

2.3 trillion? gee wiz how do you lose that?

link   

Originally posted by stumason
For a further insight into Sovereign debt, just look at Japan or Germany. Both have higher debt ratio's than the UK at 198% and 83% respectively and neither of them are in particualr trouble, again because the markets trust their economies.

I was about to say that is wrong but it is actually correct according to the official national statistics site, I believe Wikipedia is misquoting us at 86% of GDP.

www.ukpublicspending.co.uk...

As for your previous questions, I was attached to 12SU and 90SU during my 10 years, can't talk much about what I did for I would be breaking the official secrets act, but my opinion is based on my exposure to infantry units such as the Royal Highland Fusiliers and the Welsh Guards and both of them, although battle hardened do not hold the same discipline, commitment and they certainly do not recieve the required training due to the barmy human rights laws, apparently punishing somebody who turns up late for parade by giving them 100 press ups is against their human rights.

What I say is what I have seen with my own eyes, I am not saying that they are a poor force but they are by no means the best force in the world, pretty average in fact when compared to other nations battle hardened units.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn

Of course it's about nukes, that's the only reason there are UN approved sanctions and calls for more sanctions from all and sundry!

No-one with even a modicum of intelligence wants Iran to gain nuclear weapons....and that includes China and Russia.

That's why if we work with them and help them develop a safe nuclear power programme we can monitor other developments.
Sanctions are merely ostracising Iran and firming both their resolve and their belief that they are alone in the world and need nuclear weapons to help defend themselves.
In addition the only people who suffer through sanctions are the ordinary Iranians, the mullahs etc will all be perfectly ok and they certainly won't divert funding from their nuclear programme to ease any suffering, if anything they'll incease funding as a matter of urgency.

As for your question about the funding etc of the BBC; try the search function or google it - it's all very open and transparent and been discussed on numerous occassions here.

Sometimes you have to look at the big picture. If it was truly about the nukes North Korea would have gone by by years ago. It is about oil. And the control of it.

And if you dont want to or cant answer a question just leave it at that.

edit on 5-1-2012 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Ooo, dolphins with lasers would be soooooooooo cool! (for the record, I'm not 5 years old! lol) The TV show Flipper would have been much better if Flipper had lasers.

Rev

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I thought the US took the leading role in attacking Lybia.

Didn't USA lead the whole operation?

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by revmoofoo

Ooo, dolphins with lasers would be soooooooooo cool! (for the record, I'm not 5 years old! lol) The TV show Flipper would have been much better if Flipper had lasers.

Rev

Lol hey even if your 90 Dolphins with laser's are cool

Surprised the Iranians have not brought them out to show the west "look we can close the strait easy with our Dolphins with Laser's!!"

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Maybe the US, UK and Oz are going with the good ole saying "Safety in numbers" and as such the MSM in those countries are being encouraged to steer things in a certain direction for that reason. That said, what I know about such things could be written on the head of a pin. heh

Rev

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
The way things are going as it is in the UK right now, even without threating to go to war with Iran... we are already on the track to repeating history.

The whole country (except the bankers and the dirty stinking rich of course) are simply fed up with everything the government is doing. It's starting to become obvious to most people what is really going on.

I can see brixton riots round 2 happening before the end of this year. All that is needed is a tory government and discrimination, and well... we certainly have that. The divide between the rich and poor is at it's biggest in ages.

I reckon if Cameron and his goon's go to war with Iran in any way at all there will be protests, most likely including violence going on every day. I really think this will happen, because of the amount of money that will end up being spent on bomb's, jetfuel, artillery, ammunition to attack Iran.... would be an insult to the majority of the UK's citizens. We're at a time when there's alot of people that simply have no money. Libya was a good example of a complete waste of time and money, but attacking Iran would be 1000 times worse.

Iran is not going to be a case of "a few airstrikes"... it will be a long and brutal fight, lasting several years. In no way will it benefit any country.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   

And can you imagine a Legion of "Gentle Ben's" (he was a big-ass bear in a kids show of the same name) wearing Samurai Armour and carrying spiked maces? RAAAAAAAR!!!

Again, I'm not 5 years old...promise. lol

Rev

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Dont forget N.Korea has been under the protection of china since the 50's.. if it wasnt for that than maybe there would have been gone years ago..

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by InsideYourMind

I really hope the Brixton riots don't repeat themselves. Partly because of the damage/carnage, but mostly because I'm white and I love hanging out in Brixton.

Rev

edit on 5/1/2012 by revmoofoo because: ETA

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
UK is facing bankruptcy through the nation not the government ..only a few months back huge riots spread across Britain, caused by poverty ..there is no way on earth government could justify a war on Iran with out a huge back lash from the public..even middle class Britain are struggling to make ends meet ,never mind the millions unemployed unable to find work or feed themselves ..so yeah the Britain Joe blogs cares about is skint..and a war with Iran will bring poverty unlike anyone has seen in the UK in living memory.. Britain declares war on Iran?..i predict a riot

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join