It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Throwing Weight Now

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
That’s the UK stating that they will also respond militarily if Iran tries to close the Strait of Hormuz.

The UK government just can’t help itself.

Financial Times

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
That links to a subscription website. Can you copy and paste please?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:55 PM
link   
cant see it since i aint paying but i'd expect that our government has rolled over and is enjoying a american/israeli tickle

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxatoria
cant see it since i aint paying but i'd expect that our government has rolled over and is enjoying a american/israeli tickle

I don't think this current government panders to either of those. Cameron is just as war hungry as Bush, see how he took the lead in attacking Libya?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Yes, they have been a bit feisty lately.

Beating those war drums with the rest of em.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
This could not come at a better time for Cameron, a bit of good old military brashness to occupy the minds of his desperate countrymen.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The US, the UK, France, Israel, lets just simplify it and call it NATO shall we?

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Israel isn't in NATO as far as I am aware

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
i have posted the article for those that will not have access

the moves are being played

''Britain will on Thursday join the US in warning that any action by Iran to close the Strait of Hormuz would be “illegal and unsuccessful,” insisting that western navies in the Gulf must ensure the free flow of oil trade.
Amid signs that the European Union has now agreed in principle to ban oil imports from Iran this month, Philip Hammond, Britain’s defence secretary, will warn the Iranians that the UK would respond militarily if Tehran tries to close the strait in retaliation over sanctions.

As he prepares to hold his first meeting in Washington on Thursday with Leon Panetta, the US defence secretary, Mr Hammond will say in a speech that it is in the interests of all nations “that the arteries of global trade are kept free, opening and running.”
He will add: “Disruption to the flow of oil through Strait of Hormuz would threaten regional and global economic growth. Any attempt by Iran to do this would be illegal and unsuccessful.”
Alongside the US, British military chiefs say they are paying careful attention to Iran’s threat to close the strait, noting that there is a strong UK naval presence in the region.
According to UK officials, Britain’s Royal Navy plays a substantial role as part of the combined maritime forces fleet which has its headquarters in Bahrain and operates to contain terrorism and piracy at sea. The UK also assists with mine countermeasure vessels which help maintain freedom of navigation in the Gulf.

It emerged on Wednesday that EU governments have reached a preliminary agreement to ban imports of Iranian crude to the bloc but have yet to decide when such an embargo would be put in place.
Diplomats said EU envoys held talks on the issue in the last days of December and any objections to the idea, notably from Greece, were dropped. One EU diplomat said, speaking on condition of anonymity said: “The principle of an oil embargo is agreed. It is not being debated anymore.”
In London, British diplomats believe that Iran’s threat to close the strait in bluster and there are other indications that Tehran is feeling the pressure to negotiate over its nuclear programme.
One diplomat noted that the International Atomic Energy Agency, the UN watchdog, said two weeks ago that it may soon visit Iran for talks. A senior Iranian official said last month that Tehran is prepared to discuss international concerns and remove “ambiguities” about its disputed nuclear programme.
In his speech in Washington, Mr Hammond will talk more broadly about the US-UK relationship, arguing that “without strong economies and stable public finances it is impossible to build and sustain … the military capability required to project power and maintain defence.
As the US prepares to announce details of planned defence cuts this month, Mr Hammond will say that the debt crisis in the US and Europe “should be considered the greatest strategic threat to the future security of our nations.”
He will add: “The fact is, in this era of austerity … not even the United States can afford the astronomical resource commitment required to deal with every threat from every source. In times of economic austerity, fixing these problems will mean finding smarter ways of working together to get greater capability from the resources that exist.”

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
The UK throwing it's weight ? With what ?

No aircraft carriers. Naval destroyers costing a billion pounds apiece ... each armed with one big gun. Helicopters which can't fly in the dark, the rain or the wind. Brand new fighter airplanes being chopped up as spares to fix others ... the list is endless.

Hands up who's scared of Britain. Oh, that'll be no-one then.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

No we don't need guns,bombs or even harsh language we are British that is enough

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Lets just park an astute class Sub off Irans coast and wipe out Tehran should they even attempt this. It is an act of war and the use of tactical misiles should be allowed.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Iranian Vice-President Mohamad Reza Rahimi warned that no oil would be allowed to pass through the Strait of Hormuz if the West applied sanctions on oil exports. I dont think Obama would risk war just on some stupid sanctions do you?

link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips
The US, the UK, France, Israel, lets just simplify it and call it NATO shall we?

I think "Rothschild's Army" would be more appropriate.

link   
But once again our goverment are rolling over and doing whatever the USA wants.
Gonna take more than a million of us marching to stop this.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Your assumption is completly wrong, the media knows nothing but sensationalism. Don't be fooled, the UK has the worlds 6th highest funded armed forces. The best and most modern nuclear submarines and a very experienced expiditionary force. We would wipe the floor with Iran on our own, no help needed.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
The UK throwing it's weight ? With what ?

No aircraft carriers. Naval destroyers costing a billion pounds apiece ... each armed with one big gun. Helicopters which can't fly in the dark, the rain or the wind. Brand new fighter airplanes being chopped up as spares to fix others ... the list is endless.

Hands up who's scared of Britain. Oh, that'll be no-one then.

Whatever you may read in MSM.. you can be assured Britain has not given up its military might. These weapons you speak of are prehistoric compared to the bad boys that have yet to be unleashed..

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Exactly right Mister. The UK has invested alot in technology and reduced its manning due to this. But the man power that remains is highly experienced, highly trained and has some very nice toys to play with.

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Wait I live in the uk, how come none of this is on BBC news yet, i can only find on American news sites? and as i said i dont know why no one has taken in to account Iran will only shut the Strait of Hormuz if the West applied sanctions on oil exports, i dont think we would place sanctions to risk war.
edit on 4-1-2012 by 5thethriller because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by 5thethriller
Wait I live in the uk, how come none of this is on BBC news yet, i can only find on American news sites? and as i said i dont know why no one has taken in to account Iran will only shut the Strait of Hormuz if the West applied sanctions on oil exports, i dont think we would place sanctions to risk war.
edit on 4-1-2012 by 5thethriller because: (no reason given)

Because Mr Cameron doesnt want us to know...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join