It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are "Glitter Bombs" OK?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by KristinLynnxo

-or-

the beginning of a vampire apocalypse, You decide...

Yeah the kid side of me approves this.... the adult side kinda wants this issue to be addressed more like mature adults... then again that's gotten us NOwhere... maybe glitter is the asnwer

*thinks*

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
reply to post by boymonkey74

I took them more seriously before I read about this.

That's just stupid. If people don't agree with gay marriage, let's just piss them off by covering them with glitter!

No logic.

“Feel the rainbow, Newt!” he says as he is hustled out of the room. “Stop the hate! Stop the anti-gay politics!” Welcome to “glitter bombing,” the latest act of political theater from the L.G.B.T. (lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender) rights movement. The targets, not surprisingly, are individuals who activists feel are hostile or insensitive to gay marriage and similar issues.

“I think the whole thing is a wonderfully fabulous way to protest,” said Diane Anderson-Minshall, executive editor of The Advocate, the gay news magazine. “It’s peaceful and it doesn’t hurt anybody. But it does get a really important point across in a fun way.”

“I don’t think you’d get much disagreement that like so much else in the law, it’s all a matter of degree,” the First Amendment lawyer Floyd Abrams said in an e-mail. “Touching someone’s body can be criminal. But it’s awfully unlikely that there would be a prosecution if it’s just a bit of glitter.

www.nytimes.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

What's the point? Might as well throw water balloons at someone. That doesn't hurt anyone either but people still get charged with assault for it.

Throwing # at people isn't how you protest. That's how you get them to dislike you more.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
True, I also agree that it would be nice to solve things like they 'should' be solved, at least in a logical adult manner, but that rarely happens. It's like the world is going insane....so it's ironically refreshing to hear of this glitter bomb lol. Although, 'bomb' is not a good word to throw around

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Throwing anything at a candidate should get you thrown in jail. Glitter or water or God knows what else. That is not a proper protest.

It is more like a Unicorn fart.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

What's the point? Might as well throw water balloons at someone. That doesn't hurt anyone either but people still get charged with assault for it.

Throwing # at people isn't how you protest. That's how you get them to dislike you more.

People like you don't want to see the point. People like you are going to intentionally find the negative.

Rainbow Glitter makes its point - - - just by being Rainbow Glitter.

GO! GLITTER!

Its fun and its peaceful.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

People like me? What's that supposed to mean? Are you trying to categorize me or make assumptions about my beliefs?

I really don't CARE who people choose to marry, but doing things like this and saying it's a protest only enforces the stereotype against them, and makes people who already DON'T like their beliefs, dislike them even more. If someone's throwing stuff at you and you don't WANT to be covered in freaking glitter, are you going to listen to them, or get angry?

I know you very obviously LOOOVE glitter, but for a second think about the people who don't wish to be covered in sparkly #.

If protesting isn't working, then it isn't working. Some people just won't change their minds, and they have just as much of a right to be against it as people do being for it. If you can't act like an adult, how do you expect to be treated like one? That's all I'm saying.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

I know you very obviously LOOOVE glitter, but for a second think about the people who don't wish to be covered in sparkly #.

You mean those people who already have their rights and want to deny rights to others.

I really don't care if they wish to be covered with glitter or not.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

You don't care about what they want....yet you expect them to change the way they think about what you want. That's pretty hypocritical don't you think?

Once again, I'm not saying I agree with the stance of some of these politicians, but that's not how you win their hearts lol.

Judging by the "i don't care about them" attitude, I think you'd get violent if you were able to get away with it. You SHOULD care. They're the ones making the laws lol

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   

If protesting isn't working, then it isn't working. Some people just won't change their minds, and they have just as much of a right to be against it as people do being for it. If you can't act like an adult, how do you expect to be treated like one? That's all I'm saying.

The Glitter does work. It always gets reported on. It makes headlines.

It makes people aware. People that do care - - The Voters - - get the message.

There are also plenty of serious political LGBT activist.

Adult? Act like an adult? Have you listened to Rick Santorum?

"There are people who were gay... and aren't anymore.... I don't think that's the case with anybody that's black".

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Santorum is an idiot, I agree.

The only people "getting the message" are the ones who agree with gay marriage in the first place. I don't think throwing glitter at people has changed anyone's opinion, it's only made the extremes more extreme.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:41 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

You don't care about what they want....yet you expect them to change the way they think about what you want. That's pretty hypocritical don't you think?

No - I don't care what anti-gay politicians want. They are fighting to deny rights - - rights they themselves already have.

No - I don't expect them to change. I expect some voters will be made aware and change their views on denying equal rights.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I don`t think that the gays realise just how dangerous glitter is once it has been inhaled.Pneumosparklyosis , commonly known as glitter lung is a seriously debilitating condition.

Glitter Bombers...... are terrorists!!

(ˈsɑːkæzəm)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

Santorum is an idiot, I agree.

The only people "getting the message" are the ones who agree with gay marriage in the first place. I don't think throwing glitter at people has changed anyone's opinion, it's only made the extremes more extreme.

For the first time this year polls on gay rights tipped to majority in favor.

YES! Awareness - - such as Glitter helps.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraSumus
I don`t think that the gays realize just how dangerous glitter is once it has been inhaled

Uh Huh - - from the Onion. Good one.

I expect it will be legally stopped at some point.

But - until it is - - I think its a very effective protest.

EDIT: apparently assault has to have intent to cause harm or injury.

"Glitter bombing is "technically assault and battery" according to Mark R. Vernazza, a legal associate at Edwards Angell Palmer & Dodge LLP, although Vernazza also states that without proof of intent to injure, prosecution is unlikely"

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 3-1-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This article is just kind of funny.

Glittering Rage - By THOMAS VINCIGUERRA
Published: August 27, 2011

Why can’t those darn Republicans stay focused on the issues? At a time like this, when there are No Jobs left in the American economy, I want our GOP contenders to be discussing their plans to reduce unemployment. But one presidential candidate has found a more important issue, an issue that poses a threat to our basic safety.

And that threat is Glitter Bomb Attacks.

Diabolical glitter bomb attacks have already been carried out on numerous American citizens: Newt Gingrich, Tim Pawlenty, and Michelle Bachmann have all been the victims of vicious glitter bombing. Hey, wait a minute, those are all GOP presidential candidates with anti-gay rights positions. Turns out it’s not a coincidence. The glitter bombing attacks are a protest campaign designed to support LGBT rights, highlighting a serious issue by showering politicians in sparkly silliness.

But to yes-I’m-actually-still-running presidential candidate Newt Gingrich, these glitter bomb attacks are no laughing matter. In a recent email to the New York Times, Gingrich declared:

“Glitter bombing is clearly an assault and should be treated as such. When someone reaches into a bag and throws something on you, how do you know if it is acid or something that stains permanently or something that can blind you?”

Assault is a serious criminal charge. Let’s look to Newt’s reasoning to see how he gets to this conclusion. First Gingrich says the glitter could have been acid. This would constitute assault with a deadly weapon, if it actually happened. But it didn’t.

www.nytimes.com...
edit on 3-1-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:02 PM
link   
let's play this card. If someone threw glitter at Obama and called him a communist you wouldn't be supporting the gliterrer would you? In fact no one would be able to get so close to Obama to throw glitter at him.
edit on 3-1-2012 by jjf3rd77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jjf3rd77
let's play this card. If someone threw glitter at Obama and called him a communist you wouldn't be supporting the gliterrer would you? In fact no one would be able to get so close to Obama to throw glitter at him.

Glitter bombs are for anti-gay politicians.

Obama is not an anti-gay politician.

If he was - - then he is open game - - if someone wants to try it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join