It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran military warns US aircraft carrier away from Gulf

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jacobe001
So lets say Iran sinks a carrier. What happens next?
Would the US use a nuke in response?
If so, why would not Russia use one?
It would be all over before it started

It would be childish and irresponsible for the US to send nukes. Surely a war would start but if anyone launched nukes at such an early stage they would be heavily judged by the general public, causing massive riots around the globe.

I think the US would be more concerned about parts "missiles, nuclear warheads, drones" been scavenged from the sunken carrier, than anything else

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jacobe001
Would the US use a nuke in response?
If so, why would not Russia use one?
It would be all over before it started

There are surely weapons other than the nuclear option. World War 3 could take the form of bio warfare, terrorism, emp attacks etc. Iran is pushing and pushing. Is it just a game of bluff and counter bluff or does Iran actually want to push others into a corner? Come a first strike (of whatever kind) against Iran. they can pull out the 'wronged' card and then we'll see some fireworks....

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

It will be bombed ,infastracture and military targets destroyed. Then in a week or so ground NATO invasion. Not to mention Middle East in flames all over.
Nobody will use nuke. US and NATO have enough crusie missilies and bombers.
So it is empty threats.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
The man was probably drunk when he said that.

Seriously, the Gulf does NOT belong to Iran, there are some other countries, like Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait...
Totaly dumb statement tbh.What will they do when the next US carrier will enter the Gulf? Because it is 100% sure that a US carrier will enter the Gulf water, we only don't know when.

Will they try to sink it? To block it advance after passing the strait? What Iran will do, seriously?

My bet (and hope) is that they will do nothing much than threaten the NEXT carrier not to enter the Gulf...and so on.

I just don't see Iran launching missiles or trying to block a US carrier battle group enter the Gulf.Unless they are EXTREMELY dumb or have the full backing of Russia + China.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   
reply to post by steppenwolf86

Actually, the threat is that European countries will not sell refined oil to Iran. Iran currently has no refineries and is vulnerable to an EMBARGO on refined fuel.

May I ask if you think Iran will still be exporting oil to Europe if they can no get refined products in return? In my opinion it'll sink into the usual tit for tat match, hence my comments, apologies for not being clear
my head is rather fuzzy today

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
"Irans 50 year plan"

Well worth a look......

www.bahrainviews.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Let's see where are the US carriers.

January 3, 2012

Ships Underway
Underway Aircraft Carriers:
USS Carl Vinson (CVN 70) - 5th Fleet
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN 72) - 7th Fleet
USS John C. Stennis (CVN 74) - 5th Fleet
Underway Amphibious Assault Ships:
USS Bataan (LHD 5) - 5th Fleet
USS Makin Island (LHD 8) - 5th Fleet

5th fleet is the middle-east. So there's Stennis and Vinson, and Bataan and Makin Island in the middle-east...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Why did the carrier left the gulf in the first place, because of those war games? Did they really got nervous because of those trainings? didn't want escalation?
I believe the Fith/ME fleet is the most important strategical fleet in the USN, if they listen and obey to these threats the whole navy is not really credible anymore is it?
We have been hearing these war drums for the past 6/7 years but now the threats or so refined and precise that backing off means losing a lot of credibility and leverage in diplomatic traffic in that area.Of course this carrier is returning, i wonder then what this threat is really about...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
US carriers can do their business for as long as they are behaving in proper manners.we just want you to know in case of sudden hormonal rush to your heads,we are damn well prepared and equipped, and most of all ' willing' to defend ourselves to the bone. .....................and you can bet your behind that we will use ANY nessecery means to confront this insanity,,,,,

We don't need our friends to do any thing for us ......If time comes, they will do it out of their own will.
. I admire your over confidence though.........Its like we are the aggressors and you are the aggressi!!.. LOL

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Foppezao

Why did the carrier left the gulf in the first place, because of those war games? Did they really got nervous because of those trainings? didn't want escalation?

Nah. Because their tour of duty is up I think. They are being replaced.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
the thread starter seems to be only the narrow version of the story

it seems the US carrier has exited the Gulf and into the Oman Sea...exactly because of the Iran war games on the water in the Persian Gulf

but Iran is reacting with war games on the water because of the Sanctions imposed in recent days

news.yahoo.com...

TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran threatened Tuesday to take action if the U.S. Navy moves an aircraft carrier into the Gulf, Tehran's most aggressive statement yet after weeks of saber-rattling as new U.S. and EU financial sanctions take a toll on its economy.

The prospect of sanctions targeting the oil sector in a serious way for the first time has hit Iran's rial currency, which reached a record low Tuesday and has fallen by 40 percent against the dollar in the past month.

"Iran will not repeat its warning ... the enemy's carrier has been moved to the Sea of Oman because of our drill. I recommend and emphasize to the American carrier not to return to the Persian Gulf," army chief Salehi said

bottom line... expect this crisis to only last 3 weeks (21 days) from the date the sanctions began...

...Sanctions signed into law by U.S. President Barack Obama on New Year's Eve would cut off financial institutions that work with Iran's central bank from the U.S. financial system, blocking the main path for payments for Iranian oil.
... that makes the crisis from New Year Eve to 21 Jan 2012

the following item may be the reason why the crisis will fizzle out in 3 weeks:

Tehran's latest threat comes at a time when sanctions are having an unprecedented impact on its economy, and the country faces political uncertainty with an election in March, its first since a 2009 vote that triggered countrywide demonstrations....

gotta read the 'rest of the story'
edit on 3-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2012 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   

DUBAI Jan 3 (Reuters) - The United States will continue to deploy its warships in the Gulf, a defence spokesman said on Tuesday after Iran threatened to take action if the U.S. Navy moves an aircraft carrier into the Gulf. "These are regularly scheduled movements and in accordance with our long-standing commitments to the security and stability of the region and in support of ongoing operations," Commander Bill Speaks said in an emailed response to Reuters questions. "The U.S. Navy operates under international maritime conventions to maintain a constant state of high vigilance in order to ensure the continued, safe flow of maritime traffic in waterways critical to global commerce," he said.

af.reuters.com...

It appears that with the threats of closure of the Strait of Hormuz, and warnings of having the warships not redeploy to the Strait, the war if it does begin, may start in the Strait of Hormuz.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Ah the impetuosity of idiocy.........
Dream on you warmongers....There is good reasons to be wary of Irans fanatical military (remember the teenage banzai charges in the Iran/Iraq war?human wave attacks by poorly trained but determined Irani children?
This is the land which invented the game of chess, and they have been masterfully managing the worlds ire as they endeavour to upgrade their defense/offense capabilities.
They are under no illusions believe me.....militarily far from the iraqis, and will put up a stubborn resistance no matter what.

In no way are they match for the US might, except in supply of fanatics willing to martyr themselves if they can take some enemy to valhalla with them.
Their ingenuity may show some vary nasty surprises in an open conflict over the straights,after all its their back yard.......
I think its possible they may have set up the straights during this exercise........
How?
Imagine hundreds of command activated mines.....
The opportunity of placing them being provided by the hiatus of traffic during the war game...
When the Stennis or its replacement returns to the straight, a simple radio command could unlock the seeking mechanisms of lines of mines at both ends of the straights....either they get the carrier going or comming......
Maybe a few aegis cruisers too....
Any lost warship sunk in that region would be an intelligence coup far above stealing a drone......
These are our most advanced line ships we are talking about.....
Regards retaliation i believe that there are so many cruise missile preprogrammed for iranian targets waiting to be launched that our retaliation need not go nuclear.
Therte are enough assets in place to conventiona;lly level Irans infrastructure, and command and control networks that we know about......
How much of what we destroy is decoys its hard to say right now.....but i think the old shell game is an iranian invention as well

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
bottom line is USA aka British empire want to take Iran out ..they will play cat and mouse until Iran bite ..how many countries do we need to destroy before people wake up and say enough is enough..Iran is not our enemy ..our own so called leaders are ..thousands will die so the elite few can make a few bucks..its all bs

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by corporation

oh yes the stage is set , now all the is needed is the props oh here is one

Iran has responded to the tighter measures with belligerent rhetoric, spooking oil markets briefly when it announced last month it could prevent shipping through the Straight of Hormuz.
does any one get it? if not this might help

Iran has responded to the tighter measures with belligerent rhetoric
ut oh Iran now you did it you used

tighter measures with belligerent rhetoric
this is not good , for now you fall in the NDAA2012, the US will come get you now the above is from Y! news

edit on 3-1-2012 by bekod because: editting

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
revolutionarypolitics.tv...

6:10 video that addresses the many issues that affect this present military focused action
btw, keep this library site to get up to the minute vids of hot issues

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I think all these ME topics end with an argument between which military would win (between US and whoever else).. It gets old (I know, I know I don't have to read it). Sometimes I get the feeling the people on here posture up more than our actual tyrant leaders. It's probably a good thing no one important is on this website or they would have already had some crazy ideas in their head.

I like this picture though.

edit on 3-1-2012 by jeenyus2008 because: I only read through the first few pages of comments. Sorry.

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by corporation

DUBAI Jan 3 (Reuters) - The United States will continue to deploy its warships in the Gulf, a defence spokesman said on Tuesday after Iran threatened to take action if the U.S. Navy moves an aircraft carrier into the Gulf. "These are regularly scheduled movements and in accordance with our long-standing commitments to the security and stability of the region and in support of ongoing operations," Commander Bill Speaks said in an emailed response to Reuters questions. "The U.S. Navy operates under international maritime conventions to maintain a constant state of high vigilance in order to ensure the continued, safe flow of maritime traffic in waterways critical to global commerce," he said.

af.reuters.com...

It appears that with the threats of closure of the Strait of Hormuz, and warnings of having the warships not redeploy to the Strait, the war if it does begin, may start in the Strait of Hormuz.

Adding on. Full statement release by Pentagon:

security.blogs.cnn.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
YAHOO

They are reporting the same thing. These are international waters so it can not be ignored.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join