It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are hotels in a conspiracy against drifters?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Why is it no hotel will accept cash for an available room they've got? Explain that one to me because it appears to be a conspiracy against drifters. And when I say cash they could at least include accepting a security deposit in cash in case of damages to the room. Nothing cash can't do that a credit card can do. Why must you use a credit/debit card at hotels exactly? If I owned a hotel I would accept cash with a security deposit in cash first.

I know one thing, if hotels did accept cash, then I'd be staying in them when I needed to all the time. It be a drifter's paradise because they could go wherever hotels are at.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I've used cash at hotels several times. They weren't the nicest in the world, but they took my money just like anyone else would.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Because a 500.00 cash deposit would be unfeasible for most. Also, that would barely cover any major damages. Plus, keeping such huge deposits on hand would lure robbers IMO. No conspiracy here, just smart business.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Not a conspiracy. It's just that by securing a credit card or bank account (debit card) they are more likely to be able to recover any damages that occur.
I don't really agree with the policy either, and most will let you pay cash at the end of your stay, but by swiping the card, they have your info on file and easy access to charge your accounts.
A drifter can skip on whatever is left of his bill, if he has a balance, and can disappear with thousands of dollars of damages done to the room.

I prefer a cash and carry culture, too. It just aint our world any more, brutha.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I'm not sure how much I've ever bought the idea that it's really necessary to track someone down for the damages over the idea of a modest deposit. That worked just fine for decades and things haven't gone up THAT much in room value for the lower end where carrying the cash to pay the room rate is reasonable in the first place. A Drivers license or other gov. ID is plenty to chase someone down later.

Oh...and if someone was of the type to go trashing rooms and running damage tabs THAT high then why wouldn't they also be giving pre-loaded card numbers and UN-loading the balance right before checking out? It never has made sense for that reason.

I think it's as much or more about that plastic card giving them a verified name and address for their mailing lists and whatever they want to part out and sell from it. Not CC numbers.. No.. The name and address can be worth more in the long term to advertisers. The clerks have no clue what happens to any of that information, so even asking them is pointless..but the owners and chains know exactly what to do with it.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Every year we travel for about 12 days. We never spend more than one night in the same place and we don't get junk/cyber mail from them selling our info.

I think it's more of a security and true identity thing.

No insults intended to anyone on here but I feel there is something wrong with someone who doesn't have a CC in this day and age. And for that reason I wouldn't want cash only customers.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

Probably to save themselves from robbery.. I mean the cash on hand would be in the thousands everyday, that would put alot of clerks in harms way.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
I've never had a problem paying cash to stay in a Hotel even something as fancy as the Marriot( $200 a night) I just had to give them a cash deposit that was returned the next morning after they inspected the room to make sure there was no damage.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I am a front desk agent at a Western Canadian hotel chain. As far as pre-loaded cards go, we can spot them because they have no name on them, only the card number. We do not sell guest info, nor do we send out advertising to our guests. We collect personal info first and foremost as damage protection, but there are other reasons as well. If there is a fire, we MUST identify our guests. We MUST know who is in the room. Also, people forget things in the rooms on a daily basis - believe it or not - even very important things like wedding rings. YES, we need your mailing address to send it back to you.

To those of you who think that damages can't cost that much. LOLOLOL !!!!! Apparently you have never seen an oil rig crew after a hard days work or a family waiting to get their sick child into the hospital for tests while one of his symptoms is continuous vomiting.

That's pretty much all I've got to say about that.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
Ask the hotel owners along the beaches after Spring break...

edit on 29-12-2011 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by samkent
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

No insults intended to anyone on here but I feel there is something wrong with someone who doesn't have a CC in this day and age. And for that reason I wouldn't want cash only customers.

Not sure how You didn't intend to insult anyone that doesn't have a CC by saying there is something wrong with them but that's like me saying No offense but You're FAT!

There are many reasons not to have a CC the first is being smarter than the average US citizen and not charging things that You cannot afford. Then You have poor people,people that don't want Uncle Sam tracking their every move, people who don't want their indentity stolen etc..

I think there is something wrong with people that do use credit cards to buy things they do not have the cash to pay for and I don't care if they take offense or not, If You cannot afford it NOW then You don't need to buy it until You CAN.
edit on 29-12-2011 by Adamanteus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Adamanteus

I went credit cardless about 8 years ago. What a great decision that was. If going off the grid is your ultimate intention, cash and carry is the way to go.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by WarJohn

How would a 'drifter' afford to stay at a hotel anyway?

More expensive than paying rent somewhere.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
It is cheaper to reject guests without credit card then to take the risk of admission on deposit + payment.

It ain't worth it , economically speaking .

I don't think that there is an obligation on the hotel owners to provide cash payment facilities .

Get a pre-paid card and it should be OK .

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANOK
reply to post by WarJohn

How would a 'drifter' afford to stay at a hotel anyway?

More expensive than paying rent somewhere.
maybe he's with the music group.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
reply to post by ANOK

Well I've seen commercial fishermen who stayed out to sea for a week or two and were only back on land for 1-2 days then back out again. some of these guys were getting paid 4-5k a trip they could easily afford a room and paying rent on a house(not to mention water,lights,cable etc..) would be plain ignorant from a financial standpoint.

drifter doesn't mean You're broke necessarily it could apply to anyone working away from home. carnies,commercial fishermen, dredge workers,musicians or any number of professions. Some people may live in a van following their job around the country and bathe under a hose for most of the week but on payday they may want to splurge and get to sleep in a bed and get a hot shower.

You never know ,not everyone lives(or even wants to live) like everyone else. When I was 19-20 I was making $300 a day and the average construction worker was making $300 a week I was commercial fishing and had no reason to rent a house since I lived on the boat traveling up and down the east coast of the US but I did rent a hotel room from time to time just to get away from the boat for a day or two.

posted on Dec, 29 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Here in Oz the cash economy is stronger than the virtual credit one, for how long I don't know but cash is king.

The travel lodges and Inns in the UK had no trouble taking cash off me, the way a healthy business would.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Adamanteus

There are many reasons not to have a CC the first is being smarter than the average US citizen and not charging things that You cannot afford. Then You have poor people,people that don't want Uncle Sam tracking their every move, people who don't want their indentity stolen etc..

I think there is something wrong with people that do use credit cards to buy things they do not have the cash to pay for and I don't care if they take offense or not, If You cannot afford it NOW then You don't need to buy it until You CAN.

This average citizen has always (30yrs) paid his balance in full each month. As a side benefit they have paid me 1% back for all my purchases. This is a 1% discount the 'off the grid' citizen doesn't get.
Plus if I ever get mugged they can't get much ($10-20).
Plus if I ever break down somewhere I can pay the bill.
Plus I don't own a debt card. They are dangerous.

I think most average citizens feel that people who structure their lives around avoiding TPTB are not honest or have something to hide.

posted on Dec, 30 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
It's mind control, courtesy of the DHS.

Some people are too affected by TV.

top topics

join