It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quake Watch 2012

page: 26
<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The 1925 Charlevoix–Kamouraska earthquake

Interesting,,and forgotten,, Earthquakes in Diverse Places,,

Might be the reason my Dad was born about 9 months later,,,
bless ya Dad.

The 1925 Charlevoix–Kamouraska earthquake was a major earthquake that struck the entire northeastern part of North America on February 2, 1925, reaching 6.2 on the moment magnitude scale.[1]

A total of 55 aftershocks were recorded, which lasted for weeks, ranging from magnitude 5 to 2.[4] Over the years, several studies were published on the 1925 Charlevoix–Kamouraska earthquake, some as recently as 1999.[1]

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   
West of Sumatra (Banda Aceh Quake) lots of small quakes on USGS but many more smaller ones not listed.
Friend in Baharu talking of strange electric blue/green fluorecent kind of tint in the afternoon sky during past week.

Are these stress release or are they building up to another big shift or worse a broken shelf?
We can't know - until time passed. Just tobbing and wondering if ever we will know before the shake..

Yes, Tokyo might be in the crossfire.
Personally I (no proof at all) have a fear for NW Adriatic area = Bosnia/Croatia/Slovenia.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aromaz
Personally I (no proof at all) have a fear for NW Adriatic area = Bosnia/Croatia/Slovenia.

Care to share why you feel that way? What are you seeing in that neighborhood (not one I know much about, honestly.)

As far as Tokyo goes, well...

And oh, psst, USGS...Now how can we have a main shock of 5.8 and aftershocks of 5.4? (KERMADEC quake I am referring to here). I know I don't have all my guns in order yet to take anyone to task on that, but come on... 6.2 looked right, and better fits the 1 magnitude main-aftershock minimum difference.
edit on Sat Jan 28th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

EDIT: Although now the more I look at that, the USGS mags look right, and these could be foreshocks, for real. Not enough of a spread between mainshock and aftershocks, so maybe they are foreshocks?

EDIT number 1 million.
MoorfNZ and muzzy, watch your backs down there. I was looking at the recent quake maps down in NZ, and you know I don't like quakes on either side of the line. Indicates instability near the line... Be careful, could be trouble.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

The BUD graphs harder to figure out.

I hear you on that one. It is because the size of the quake affects the scale of the plot. Nightmare.

That is why I tend to use VHZ channels where I can as they are not so affected by that.

I think the LISS scale is constant.

edit on 28/1/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

reply to post by TrueAmerican

Now how can we have a main shock of 5.8 and aftershocks of 5.4?

Did they say the first one was a main shock anywhere?????

edit on 28/1/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Got a question for you guys and gals.
What do you make of this.

www.jma.go.jp...

Guide to Information on the Tokai Earthquake

When anomalous crustal activity is observed around the Tokai region, information is issued in relation to the occurrence of a possible large earthquake (the Tokai Earthquake).

edit on 28-1-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thats been there for forever (well, since I first seen it about a year ago
) but I've never seen anything on it, even when the 9.0 last year was going on.
The page to watch for warnings is this one www.jma.go.jp...
which for some weird reason isn't directly linked to on that page you gave.

No information is in effect at present.
No anomalous crustal activity in relation to the occurrence of the Tokai Earthquake is currently observed.
:flame
ing on

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

Now how can we have a main shock of 5.8 and aftershocks of 5.4?

Did they say the first one was a main shock anywhere?????

No, because they've probably already noted the close range between the magnitudes, too.

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

EDIT number 1 million.
MoorfNZ and muzzy, watch your backs down there. I was looking at the recent quake maps down in NZ, and you know I don't like quakes on either side of the line. Indicates instability near the line... Be careful, could be trouble.

That 4.5 near Nelson Lakes this morning was 2 miles away from the Alpine Fault itself
4.5 map
You can clearly see the Fault running SW/NE 2 miles above the purple dot
Although they draw the faults on the maps with a 1 pixel line, there is not clear indication that the Fault itself could not be 4 miles wide where it is fractured below the surface.
That ones just a release of pent up energy hopefully.
NZ Active Faults database web map
Thats another project I started on a few years ago, converting those to a KMZ Google Earth File, I got my Wellington area done then lost interest, its a huge project to undertake without funding, there are hundreds of them. I did it using GPS waypoints converted to tracks. Quite handy to just load it into GE and see how close an event was to a Fault on the same interface.
edit on 28-1-2012 by muzzy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzy

Just asking as I only just come across it.Thought it was something new.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   
4.5 Eastern Turkey, 4.6 Eastern Honshu, 4.5 Crete, and a 4.7 in Taiwan and a 4.8 in the Philippines to boot. USGS

Strange how the Earth works.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

No worries, it does look like a good system, though if it does show signs of activity I doubt they will be able to control the panic anyway. Will they actually put out any warnings?
I mentioned this link a few pages back when it was posted that the JMA had just found thousands of foreshocks of the 9.0. Sounds a bit dodgy, why didn't they see them before hand?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

aromaz:
youre opinion please over the roumers that lake Van in turkey is in fact an acient caldera....

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

IMHO Lake Van Golu:
No, I do not think the complete Van Gölü is a volcanic crater. At least not to be considered a Super Volcano. However it is on one of Turkey's major fault lines and surrounded by a number of volcano's, both active and considered extinct.

This lake is only about half million years old; formed when Mt. Nemrut erupted blocked the flow of the river to the Med. Nemrut is a very large volcano with the crater lake about 8 km and last eruption 1597. Interesting to see about the history of the water level in the lake. A few years ago it suddenly rose 3 meters.

The increased numbers and intensity of quakes in 2011 might indicate problems in Mt Nimrut.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:09 PM
link   
"formed when Mt. Nemrut erupted blocked the flow of the river to the Med. "

So your saying if this blows PROPHESY would be,,could be,, fulfilled,, theoretically of course,,,?

Curious .

Me.

edit on 29-1-2012 by BobAthome because: opps,, wheres,,,, delete????,,oh ya if i come back for,,nevermind,,

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

"formed when Mt. Nemrut erupted blocked the flow of the river to the Med. "

So your saying if this blows PROPHESY would be,,could be,, fulfilled,, theoretically of course,,,?

Curious .

Me.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Originally posted by Aromaz

Care to share why you feel that way? What are you seeing in that neighborhood (not one I know much about, honestly.)

As I said - no proof, not much of other references either.
There just seems to be a lot of activity in the general surrounding area, even across to the more reported Italy.

For this specific Croatian region it is rather the absence of matching quakes.
The Italian 'shoe' is pressing northwards and all over the area are continues release of pressure.
In this exact region which is very prone to quakes - all seems to be eerily quiet.
Could be a locked boundary? Maybe something like 7.2 - but shallow.

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Aromaz

"The Italian 'shoe' is pressing northwards" sorry,, just got an image of ,,this Papal shoe pressing down on a map of Turkey?? ,, you obviously dont mean literely right? ,,cause thats not,,
as above,,
so below,,
maybe crustal movement ,wise,, wether it is Volcanic,, like Santorini,,
or maybe Etna,, or the Submarinial Volcano just,,discovered last year?,, off the HEEL,, of the Boot,, that is,,
interesting,,

Me.
Tonga
Santorini
and an Alaskan Volcano,, to be named later.
that was the race.
my money is still on,,
Santorini.

Thera included,

that would be Greece,,as well,,

"Scientists: Haiti, DR may facing big quake period"

and here comes Tonga making a move too the outside,,,

followed by,,
Alaskan Volcano,, to be named later.

lol
sorry.

edit on 29-1-2012 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Did i miss these two being posted:

MAP 5.0 2012/01/29 21:54:20 16.627 -46.509 10.0 NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE
MAP 5.2 2012/01/29 21:43:25 16.482 -46.637 9.9 NORTHERN MID-ATLANTIC RIDGE

Earthquake List for 10-degree Map Centered at 20°N, 45°W
Update time = Mon Jan 3004:00:22UTC 2012

Or are these not notable enought for a post?

posted on Jan, 29 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
6.3 just hit Peru.
earthquake.usgs.gov...
edit on Mon Jan 30th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

At the moment for some reason, a lot of stations are down or the data is not available in real time in SA. Especially in the northern part. So I can only see a couple of stations in Chile.
edit on Mon Jan 30th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 30 2012 @ 03:34 AM
link   

I see that has a yellow PAGER alert. Any news on casualties/damage yet?

edit on 30/1/2012 by PuterMan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 23  24  25    27  28  29 >>

join