It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Cops LAUGH at Victim of a Car Accident "Dont' jog to work you dump [snip]"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I cant do anything about your disbelief.

I'm not advocating anything. Merely suggesting that police arent some privileged class of super-men who perform tasks impossible for us mere mortals.

The jobs of farmers, roofers and garbage men are statistically more dangerous. When's the last time somebody "filled the boot" for them? When's the last time somebody dropped a flag to half mast and paraded slowly through the streets for them?

When't the last time somebody dragged out the desperate plight of the brave roofer to manipulate government policy?

Most dangerous jobs in America

Where police do come in on that list, 9th, the primary cause of death is in traffic accidents. Not sadly being gunned down my crack dealing extremist while heroically attempting to rescue the Girl Scout troop being held hostage.
edit on 22-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

First paragraph of your source mentions that these codes vary by agencies.

The code may vary. The SPD adopted the NACOLE code as it is written.

Besides, wouldnt you think it a reasonable code to adopt? Or dont you think police should be expected to express respectful and unbiased treatment?

Ill keep looking for a department that adopted a "mock the suckers" code and get back to you.

First paragraph of your source mentions that these codes vary by agencies.

The code may vary. The SPD adopted the NACOLE code as it is written.

Besides, wouldnt you think it a reasonable code to adopt? Or dont you think police should be expected to express respectful and unbiased treatment?

Ill keep looking for a department that adopted a "mock the suckers" code and get back to you.

Ah yes, the ATS mantra of, everyone should behave exactly how I expect them too, everyone else be damned. Now I have the personal freedom to say or do what I want, but god forbid you do.

Just because they use morbid humor, does not mean they are not using unbiased treatment.

In fact, I feel the opposite, If they stopped using dark humor, then I would worry. Because it would mean they no longer care and are completey desensitized.

I work with a bunch of nurses and paramedics and doctors. I see the direct translation: I can't believe a jogger, who was minding his own business, got wiped out just like that"

But if you show weakness in a work order like that, you cohorts have less faith in you. So you do what you can, and make light of it.

You are bitching that these police officers are not showing any empathy, yet you are not showing any yourself.

I will take dark humor over going to the bar and getting trashed and killing someone on the way home or going home to beat their wives and children.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

reply to post by TsukiLunar

I cant do anything about your disbelief.

I'm not advocating anything. Merely suggesting that police arent some privileged class of super-men who perform tasks impossible for us mere mortals.

The jobs of farmers, roofers and garbage men are statistically more dangerous. When's the last time somebody "filled the boot" for them? When's the last time somebody dropped a flag to half mast and paraded slowly through the streets for them?

When't the last time somebody dragged out the desperate plight of the brave roofer to manipulate government policy?

Most dangerous jobs in America

Where police do come in on that list, 9th, the primary cause of death is in traffic accidents. Not sadly being gunned down my crack dealing extremist while heroically attempting to rescue the Girl Scout troop being held hostage.

roofers don't see raped children everyday.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

You are bitching that these police officers are not showing any empathy, yet you are not showing any yourself.

It always cracks me up how that happens in threads about cops.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

They dont have to show any empathy at all. Wouldnt bother me.

I'd simply prefer they not mock victims to their faces. Too much to ask?

Sure, mocking everyone equally is unbiased. Is it respectful?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Did you even read that list?

First off, police are number nine. Doesn't seem low to me.

Second, police deal with PEOPLE. Not hunks of wood or fish. They bust drug dealers, murders, rapist and all that other bad stuff. To help us live peacefully. Are you really criticizing them for not dying enough?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Are you really criticizing them for not dying enough?

Nice spin.

I'm criticizing their inflated sense of importance. Hoisting them on high as great saviors and protectors of society.

We can believe they're brave and risking their lives and worth all this praise and pomp but they just cant be asked to not mock a victim lying in the street. That would be too much.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

It always cracks me up how that happens in threads about cops.

Despite the language, he is right.

1. the intellectual identification with or vicarious experiencing of the feelings, thoughts, or attitudes of another.

2. the imaginative ascribing to an object, as a natural object or work of art, feelings or attitudes present in oneself: By means of empathy, a great painting becomes a mirror of the self.

dictionary.reference.com...

And the people in this thread are doing the exact thing they are mocking.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Well before we hang people from a media report, consider the situation. Was it a mistake while the patient was awake? absolutley. No one argues that.

But did they KNOW he was awake? None of us was there, so we can't say for sure.

If a man was hit by a car and had a fractured skull, and a broken spine, my first guess would be that he would be completely delerious at best, if not outright unconcious.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
I welcome all sides of opinion and urge you to continue discussing, but I never imagined this would turn into a thread where actions such as the ones depicted in the OP would be justified or tolerated due to certain variables such as coping mechanisms, or the "they're human too" excuse. I'm also a human and always get held accountable for my actions, people in power such as police officers should not be considered for extra treatment because of their line of work.

They took an oath, and they should stand by that oath. If they don't plan on upholding any oaths they take, they should find another line of work.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Nice spin.

Thank you. Wasn't too hard since that's how it came off as.

Maybe you should drop that line of argument if you don't mean it.

I'm criticizing their inflated sense of importance. Hoisting them on high as great saviors and protectors of society.

Who in the hell do you know that hoist cops up as saviors?

We can believe they're brave and risking their lives and worth all this praise and pomp but they just cant be asked to not mock a victim lying in the street. That would be too much.

Really? Completely ignore the fact that no one in this thread has said "Asking them to not mock a victim is too much" and go ahead and continue with fallacious arguments.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

"Ah yes, the ATS mantra of, everyone should behave exactly how I expect them too, everyone else be damned. Now I have the personal freedom to say or do what I want, but god forbid you do. "

You have probably stuck your foot in your mouth many times and someone let it blow over.

Let me ask, are you a police officer? EMT? Nurse or doctor?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

So it's okay if you think you get away with it?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

If they are talking among themselves, yes.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by TsukiLunar

Really? Completely ignore the fact that no one in this thread has said "Asking them to not mock a victim is too much" and go ahead and continue with fallacious arguments.

If I'm reading too much into the excuses for bad behavior rooted in the perceived dangers of the job then that's my fault.

Am I? Has that not been an excuse for the past 2 pages?

Society at large hoists them on high. Or, at least, the media does. When they do wrong it's plastered all over as a massive failing. When one dies, regardless of being on or off duty in a car wreck or a shootout, the city and state stop everything and widespread mourning sets in. Is it genuine hero-loss sadness on the publics part or is it an illusion pushed by the union and DOJ to keep the image going? I really dont know. But they are hoisted quite a bit higher than the garbage men who risk their lives and lose more everyday.
edit on 22-12-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: typo

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

"Ah yes, the ATS mantra of, everyone should behave exactly how I expect them too, everyone else be damned. Now I have the personal freedom to say or do what I want, but god forbid you do. "

You have probably stuck your foot in your mouth many times and someone let it blow over.

Let me ask, are you a police officer? EMT? Nurse or doctor?

I can't help but suspect that you're purposely twisting my words to portray them as something completely different than what they mean. This has happened various times, oh well...

You may express your opinion just as much as I can. But once your opinion is expressed, I am therefore also allowed to voice my opinion of your opinion. It goes both ways my friend and I was not associating myself with the fraudulent mantra that you have decided to throw into the discussion. I was never aware that ATS had an official mantra that you described.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Yeah, keep trusting those cops, they're just Americans like you.

Put a person in a uniform, without any oversight and corrupt protections in place and this is what you get.
Ask any psychologist and they'll be able to tell you what happens when you put certain Humans above others in this way without adequate controls in place.

Half of the people wearing uniforms are in that job because they like having dominance over others, and they will abuse their position.

And I'll bet anything you like that 90% of those caught on film abusing citizens are still in their position.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

If I'm reading too much into the excuses for bad behavior rooted in the perceived dangers of the job then that's my fault.

First off, you are.

Second, bad behavior? Sure, I suppose it could be classified like that. But its not like they sold meth to middle schoolers. Christ man, take up a cause thats worth it. "Cops cracking wise in horribly inappropriate situations" is hardly worth the outrage considering all the other stuff some of them have been caught doing.

Society at large hoists them on high. Or, at least, the media does. When they do wrong it's plastered all over as a massive failing. When one dies, regardless of being on or off duty in a car wreck or a shootout, the city and state stop everything and widespread mourning sets in.

I dont remember my city shutting down when a cop dies. Sounds like your over exaggerating to me.

Is it genuine hero-loss sadness on the publics part or is it an illusion pushed by the union and DOJ to keep the image going?

I wouldn't know. But lets shake things up here. For instance, lets apply this sentence to something you seem more fond of.

"Is it genuine hero-loss sadness on the militaries part or is it an illusion pushed by the Armed forces to keep the image going?"

Cause you know they do those things for our troops too, if they can.

But they are hoisted quite a bit higher than the garbage men who risk their loves and lose more everyday.

Again, because they are not dying as much as another unrelated group they are not worthy?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   

If they are talking among themselves, yes.

Their attitudes express racist opinions, a lack of humanity, a worrying instance of arrogance and superiority. Those are things not suited to working for the larger community.

At the very LEAST, these officers should be facing an investigation and further training - at LEAST.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

You are dictating behaviors of people in positions you have never done. In a nutshell, your telling people, whome you have never met nor have done their job, how they should behave.In a nutshell, you are telling people how to do their job; of which you have absolutely no experience.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join