It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Cops LAUGH at Victim of a Car Accident "Dont' jog to work you dump [snip]"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousVan

I want better behavior from cops, and fewer excuses.

I thought I made that pretty clear.

The examples I offered were to preclude the arguments that I would run to cops begging for protection when faced with a bad situation to save me from whatever.

Cops and their apologists always seem to use that tired old argument, so I provided the antidote prior to the trotting out of it.

Again, in case you missed it the first time around:

What I want, nay, what I demand are higher standards and better behavior from cops, and far fewer excuses and self-justifications based upon lies and distortions about the danger of the job.
edit on 22-12-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Know why we are hearing about police brutality and stuff like this video more and more often? Do you?

Ok, I'll be the one to say it.

This is what you get when you guarantee a police job to a shell shocked psychopath.

Civilian police should be just that... CIVILIAN! Not some battle hardened 24 year old with a boner for violence, and not even an ounce of empathy.
edit on 12/22/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Alright gotta jump in.

I know a few cops, some regular beat cops, some undercover narcotics officers. Some work off duty at bars and clubs, some even get free apartment housing in return for doing a nightly patrol around the complex.

If there is one thing they have in common, it's that freaking sick sense of humor that only they seem to share. They DO protect eachother with that blue line, so If one of their buddies does something wrong, the other will back them up no matter if they're right or wrong.

I've seen them get drunk and beat the hell out of smaller guys. In one instance I saw two off duty officers beat up a guy because a girl was flirting with the civilian and wouldn't have anything to do with the cops. They called the girl a skank and a whore after being shot down to their advances, then beat the hell out of the dude.

How do I know this? I was the smaller dude. I had to have 8 staples in my head from a damn baseball bat. They laughed and joked while I was on the ground bleeding. A uniformed officer ran up to stop them outside the bar we were at, but after learning they were officers too, he told them to leave. I had to be taken to the hospital by my girlfriend.

I knew these guys, they were friends of my family. After that incident I rode around with an AR in my trunk debating whether or not to retaliate, for a week. That's how pissed I was. I knew where they lived, I knew where they hung out, and they knew that.

My cousin (who was friends with these douche bags) told them I was seriously thinking of causing them harm. They weren't so goddamn tough after they heard about that. I saw them again at a friends bbq about 6 months later, they didn't look me in the eye, they didn't stay long after I arrived either. The punks made my cousin come up to me, and apologize for them. A bunch of punk cowards. I could see the shame or fear or whatever it was, in their faces.

I'm glad I never retaliated, but I came very close. These guys have families now, and I don't think they treat people like they treated them in the past. Now they have something to lose other than just their badge, which is doubtful they would have lost anyway.

My point is, is that these guys DO share that sence of humor in human suffering. They ARE protected by eachother even after breaking laws they swore to uphold and enforce themselves.

The tough cops are the ones that use their heads in any situation. They are not the "reactionary" ones with short fuses and anger issues. There are good, genuinely decent cops out there. There are also maniacs with a license to kill that wear the badge as well. It's the bad ones that get the good ones killed.
edit on 22-12-2011 by becomingaware because: grammer

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Cops, doctors, ambulance drivers, firefighters, military all have a propensity toward morbid humor. I think it's messed up but it's not new, and certainly isn't isolated just to cops. I'm not condoning the behavior, but I also don't think it's as bad as it seems. Flame away.

Well you lump them all in a basket, I personally have been at the scene of several accidents, one involved my sister and family and was fatal to a teen driver.
In every case the responders were serious, courteous and clearly worried and concerned for all. That is including the police who arrived first in two of these times and the ambulance workers.

If they reach the point where they can laugh at the bloody scene of someones major injury or death it is time for them to leave.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere
reply to post by nixie_nox

I could say cops do 20-30 years until retirement but if I permit your point of "2 years" then you're just supporting my position that cops should be better at "coping" than the military. Yet the military seeks legal action against improper "coping" and denounces it. Here we have posters making excuses for bad police behavior.

I was on teh fence with this and still am for the most part but where you lost me is when you start using words like "proper" and "bad police behavior"...its like I'm living at home with my parents again...

I thought by now intelligent enough people could discern that ideas of "proper" and "good" and "behavior" are all relative to whoever is defining them...

I don't agree with what the cops did but its ultimately harmless and yes it is a coping mechanism and NO you don't necessarily get to PICK and CHOSE your coping mechanisms...they just appear. They can no more chose to cope in a "proper" way as you can chose how to cope with things in your life in the "proper" way.

I agree that this is a very small insignificant issue that is being blown up because any cop in a negative light is flagged and starred to high heaven here. If the cops sat there, laughed and watched him die without offering assistance then this would be a completely different story...

What they in reality did was use their 1st ammendment right to free speech and coped with the fact they were going to have to scoop this mangled mess up off the street for the next few hours...understandable for anyone who has had to deal with such things and keep your cool and not stress out.

If emergency workers took everything they did seriously without tossing in humor every now and again they wouldn't last 5 years before a mental breakdown.

What I dont get is how people can sit here and spout off how important the first ammendment right is yet condemn it when "certain" types of people use it in certain situations...

I thought freedom of speech was meant to be freedom of speech PERIOD...regardless of anyone elses beliefes of "when, where and how" you are allowed to say "certain" things...at that point its just conditional speech, which isn't FREE...so which is it?

You have every right to dislike what they said and voice your opinion about it, but thats where it should end. Firing or prosecuting them is absurd and to ask for such a thing is to ask for the government foot in your mouth as they shut you up from voicing your opinion when its "not the time and place" and "improper" for your "position"...

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Laughing at someone being hurt?

Maybe not all of "us" are human.............read my ATS name.

It's akin to a wolf wearing sheep's clothing..............just because someone looks human doesn't mean they are.

Jordan has been a avid researcher for 50 years and in this video, yes it's long so download it and watch it in pieces if you don't have the time or ability to focus for long periods.

Jordan expresses how we are changing - just like David Jacob's book, "The Threat".

Humanity is changing, mutating.

There are more ways to conquer a species than overt war fare.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I hear your point, but if a grown man does not yet know to look both ways, etc, than he IS a dumb Sh*t.. Flame on. Same thing as joggers who wear headphones..That's like going to a gun range and putting a blind fold on.

U
edit on 22-12-2011 by USarmyFL because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Well you lump them all in a basket,

I did not say they all act that way. Just consider it far more likely for any of those professionals to develop a morbid sense of humor. Perhaps I misused the word propensity.

I personally have been at the scene of several accidents, one involved my sister and family and was fatal to a teen driver. In every case the responders were serious, courteous and clearly worried and concerned for all.

I've seen that too. I've also seen them joke about a woman hit by a train. They were the ones picking up the pieces of her body. It was a way to make the situation less horrific.

If they reach the point where they can laugh at the bloody scene of someones major injury or death it is time for them to leave.

I disagree with that. It's not laughing at the person, it's dehumanizing them so that the tragedy doesn't hit as hard. With the crap they see daily I won't begrudge them for it.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
ive seen some dumb joggers in my day, running in busy traffic, wearing headphones, completely oblivious to their surroundings, in the morning, half asleep, just running through intersections like their invincible.

this guy should really be saying, "cars and trucks can break my bones but words can never hurt me, i tell my kids all the time not to play in the street and this is why, no one is responsible for my own personal safety but myself."

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sly1one

You have every right to dislike what they said and voice your opinion about it, but thats where it should end. Firing or prosecuting them is absurd and to ask for such a thing is to ask for the government foot in your mouth as they shut you up from voicing your opinion when its "not the time and place" and "improper" for your "position"...

They, you or I can go ahead and say anything we want to. I've no problem with that.

I dont know what you do for a living but speaking for myself should I go on to my employers, peers or customers about what dumbasses they are I wouldnt have a job for very long.

Because of the public nature of my position being on or off duty has no bearing. I cant go running through town mocking and ridiculing people and have any reasonable expectation of a job after such actions.

These police have very public jobs. And that was their employer laying there bleeding they called a dumbass.

Should anyone have a job after that? Maybe the likes of Stern or Green could get away with that but a public servant? Even the trash man would be fired.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
In every profession and walk of life...there is (the good, the bad, and the ugly)....just because someone is a policeman does not mean that he is a good person. I think many power hungry...truly dark souls join the police force so that they can be abusive...because being abusive and cruel is their true nature...and being in the profession of a police officer...gives to them the power they need to do their cruel acts....which they truly enjoy.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Well this seems simple to repair:

Approval rating X10 = weekly pay.

Seems like a solution to cause them to work well.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Cops, doctors, ambulance drivers, firefighters, military all have a propensity toward morbid humor. I think it's messed up but it's not new, and certainly isn't isolated just to cops. I'm not condoning the behavior, but I also don't think it's as bad as it seems. Flame away.

I agree with your statement. Police officers, doctors, ambulance drivers, firefighters, military etc. have extremely stressful jobs where they see people at their worst. they do become a bit jaded that is true, however often times, this is how they maintain their sanity, by making light of events they find to be emotionally traumatic. it is common and human nature. the officer should apologize, however i dont think that the officer should be demonized because of this incident.

how well does anyone deal with pain, tragedy, and gore? the right thing to do would be for the jogger to forgive the officer as he apologized for his statement. no further action is needed or appropriate.

this is just my humble opinion, i could be wrong.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
I've said it once and I'll say it again. Not everyone thinks the same way. If everyone in the world was able to comprehend this simple little fact the world would be a much better place. I'm not going to condone what they did they were on duty and should have had more self restraint.

When did we as a people become so easily hurt by words? Chances are if I was able to and I was the one on the ground I'd probably have chuckled at it. I'd have probably chuckled if it was a family member. That's just my personality. It'd have been even more comical to me if it was my fault. Yes, sometimes humor like that is used as a defense mechanism, sometimes it is just the personality of the person.

I'm good for making, what I believe comical, comments to friends, family and sometimes strangers. I know that everyone may not get it. This doesn't mean the person doesn't care or is doing it out of maliciousness. I'm probably one the nicest people you'd meet and more often then not I go out of my way to help others despite making such comments. It also doesn't mean you are not concerned or worried about the person as the situation is going on. Not everyone expresses emotions the same way which brings me back to my opening comment.

Was it proper for them to say it? No. Should this be such a huge anger inspiring travesty upon all that is good and decent as it is being made out to be? No.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Didn't Seattle cops also recently get in trouble after it was determined that they were regularly using too much force, as well?

Major loss of respect for the Seattle Police Department

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

I think you're correct. I recall a few incidents from Seattle that have been in the news. One of the incidents was an officer beating a teenage girl if I'm not mistaken. I will clarify in just a moment.

Here you go:

edit on 22-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1 I'm not condoning the behavior, but I also don't think it's as bad as it seems. Flame away.

Not as bad as it seems? It's on video. It's exactly what it seems. Cops making fun of a guy for getting hit by a car. To make matters worse apparently cops had been encouraging people in the area to ride their bikes or walk....

So, it makes them hypocrites as well. So tell me, when they were making fun of this guy, where they protecting or serving?

When they made fun of a man's accent, were they protecting or serving?

When they laughed because a guy was suffering, were they protecting and serving?

It is as bad as it seems Domo. Not to mention the whole Seattle Police Department getting in trouble for using too much force and violating peoples rights....

Domo, it's pretty bad.

blogs.seattleweekly.com...

I've got lots of respect for most cops.... But very little for the Seattle Police Department. They have problems.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
I have been a paramedic for ten years and I think I can speak to this better than most of you. WITHIN THE PAST TWO WEEKS I have had to tell a family (wife of 40 years, children and grandchildren) that their father who just collapsed while they were decorating the Christmas tree that I didn't know if he was going to live or not as we struggled to maintain the heartbeat that we had just restored to him. I have had a healthy seventy year old man who had a stroke and now will never walk again and will have to have someone else wipe his butt for him and change his diaper for the rest of his life. I have had the girl hit in the head with a bowling ball by her date because she asked him to get them something to drink. I have had the same guy with abdominal pain three times from a chronic condition because he won't stop drinking and properly care for himself. Add to that all the average mundane calls and associated stresses in my job as well as the personally life threatening situations I sometimes have. 

Have those things taken a toll? Yes they have, I was in therapy for a year to deal with depression and anxiety. I take medication for chronic acid reflux disease. I also use the dark gallows humor associated with high stress jobs. I have made jokes about the people and situations I have seen. I have never taken pictures nor do I swap them with other people. I have never made jokes within earshot of a patient or their family. 

Am I a monster? Am I desensitized? To a certain extent, yes to both. I have been fundamentally changed by my experiences and see the world as a much darker and crueler place than I might otherwise. But I still occasionally get to make a real and tangible difference in people's lives sometimes and that makes it worth it. 

If, however, I had never learned how to cope with the stress and tragedy that I see on a near daily basis I would have eaten a bullet long ago. Everyone deals with stressful and dangerous situations in their own way. Until you have walked a mile in their shoes be careful how you judge them. Because until you've held a complete stranger in your arms as she sobs because you've just told her that her husband and best friend that she's been married to for 80 years died sometime during the night and that's why he didn't get up this morning and that there is nothing you can do for him, you don't know crap about what some people have to cope with. 

Were these officers wrong? I don't feel their comments were but the timing with which they chose to say them was grossly inappropriate.
edit on 22-12-2011 by mus8472 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
After reading the responses defending the cops ridiculing this man as he lay there severely injured with death a very real possibility, I have to say although repulsed by their behavior, I do understand that some - perhaps even most - people have to have a defense mechanism to get through the horrors their job and/or daily life exposes them too. I think anyone can understand that.

However, my concern is the deeper implications of which this sort of behavior could be a warning sign. What is the danger that this "defense mechanism" to dehumanize the very humans they are sworn to protect is too successful or utilized so often that it becomes a serious concern in that they now consistently consider people/civilians in general stupid, subhuman, and no longer worthy of their protection?

Perhaps the reports of police violence both on and off the job are a result of being exposed to such horrific events so often that a person simply stops caring, or has such a distorted approach to their duty that they now can no longer perform it adequately? The civilians are now no somehow sub-human and beneath contempt. Conversely, this could explain the empathy and even covering for fellow officers even when clearly acting in a manner that any civilians caught doing would be breaking the law!

I wonder if studies have been done on this topic? Sure, you can require some officer who beat the crap out of someone who in no way presented a threat to take a sensitivity class or whatever, but if the officer's views of people in general (or perhaps specific groups of people - minorities/what have you) are now so changed as to truly view these people as sub-human or not worthy of protection or even respect, then it's quite possible that officer will just got thru the motions to prevent being caught again, but what actions does that officer now engage (indulge?) in when confident he won't be seen or caught?

This goes hand in hand with the posters who stated that psychotic or sociopaths will become police officers or something similar to get exposure to the lurid events that attract them. That being a pre-existing condition, whereas the situation above is a sort of post-traumatic induced issue, if you will. In other words, do all or even a significant portion of police officers, troops, and so on become so hardened or changed by their experiences that they become dangerous themselves (either thru violence or inaction to help those they consider unworthy)? That's a pretty scary thought, but would explain the increasing reports of violence we seem to keep hearing more and more frequently from police. I dunno, maybe people in such professions need some sort of regular psyche eval to detect any such changes, and then put them on some other type of duty and training for a period sufficient to recover or regain their sense of inclusiveness for all humans. And of course this is me just pondering the reports that are disturbingly regular nowdays - obviously it needs those who are actually qualified to make such decisions/policies to look at the situations and decide what needs to be done. Or maybe they already do, but if so then seems like they need to do more or be more thorough, or something.

Perhaps thinking these people had good intentions and were changed by their experiences it is just *my* defense mechanism to prevent me from being upset by accepting that some people really are just repulsive jerkholes from the get go and don't deserve any sympathy (that being rude and violent cops of course, not the poor injured guy who was trying to do his part at the city's request!). :-)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I was stuck in the traffic this self righteous bag of d**** caused. I had much worse things to say about him, hell I made the cops look like saints. Stupid joggers/bikers downtown think they own the road, things like this prove otherwise.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join