It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Seattle Cops LAUGH at Victim of a Car Accident "Dont' jog to work you dump [snip]"

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by NewtonDKC

You bring up a wonderful point and I agree that some kind of oversight into this matter would be most helpful. I think there has been a stigma associated with the potential mental changes that can happen. I also think the reason this hasn't already been happening is because of that stigma and the monitary cost of the evaluations. I know if someone had talked to me about getting help for the problems I was having it wouldn't have been so long before I finally did get the help I needed.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

"Disdain for the common man" Good analogy!

I was an EMT for 6 years back in the early 90's and there truly is nothing more disgusting on this planet than the people themselves. To quote Bill Hicks "Mankind is a virus with sneakers".

Joe and Jane Average, would make lousy first responders in general. It is a tough job a demanding job, emotionally and physically. Most people at the end of their work day go home to their life without a thought of their work day. I had many sleepless nights over what I seen. What you see out there as a first responder is the worst in people and no doubt it still affects me. My humor is very morbid, and that humor was what kept me from losing it.

It is a different world from the normal world. It jaded me no doubt about it. I got in under a noble ideology of wanting to help others, to be a good citizen, and so on. I eventually though started caring less about the public. Why bother sending me to that old lady on oxygen that still smokes? Why bandage up and stop the bleeding on a woman that continually goes back to a vicious husband? Compassion and empathy can only carry you for so long, til finally, you start seeing more clearly that most people are no good.

I'm not gonna condemn the cop though, even though he's pretty callow. As far as I'm concerned, he did his job and made the call. His actions probably helped save that person. If I was ran over and he made the call for me, I think I would show the cop a little gratitude then I'd call him a dick for what he said.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Just plain ignorant. I have been studying all of the complaints and abuses by the Seattle Police Department and it is just disgusting to me how it has gone unchecked for so long. It's a disgrace to good law enforcement officers everywhere.

How can citizens in this nation be expected to trust Law Enforcement when there is such a high level of misconduct waged by so many departments like this in the U.S.?

Instead of taking decisive action that costs the tax paying citizens less money and waging BS PR campaigns and hiring public perception consultants, these types of situations should be dealt with in proper investigations by external oversight and terminated where applicable.

Mind you, it is a two way street but more and more it's not the case in America nowadays.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
To everyone saying that this is a coping mechanism and that they do this because everyday they see the worst society has to offer.. I don't give a #. That's why they are held to higher standards than regular citizens. They are expected to be models. And in that same video a pig slams a dude's head on the hood of a car. Did you guys even pay attention to that?

When you carry a gun and a badge it is completely unacceptable to be behaving like moronic meatheads. Although, I bet that's the reason they became cops in the first place.

OWS my ass, police brutality is the real issue here.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by Sly1one

You have every right to dislike what they said and voice your opinion about it, but thats where it should end. Firing or prosecuting them is absurd and to ask for such a thing is to ask for the government foot in your mouth as they shut you up from voicing your opinion when its "not the time and place" and "improper" for your "position"...

They, you or I can go ahead and say anything we want to. I've no problem with that.

I dont know what you do for a living but speaking for myself should I go on to my employers, peers or customers about what dumbasses they are I wouldnt have a job for very long.

Because of the public nature of my position being on or off duty has no bearing. I cant go running through town mocking and ridiculing people and have any reasonable expectation of a job after such actions.

These police have very public jobs. And that was their employer laying there bleeding they called a dumbass.

Should anyone have a job after that? Maybe the likes of Stern or Green could get away with that but a public servant? Even the trash man would be fired.

So by this same notion you must agree when they fired Hank Williams Jr.???

Aside of that, if those officers were fired the second they made that comment that guy would still be a laying a mangled mess in the street...despite the officers getting the jogger to safety and ultimately doing their job they would still have them fired for choice words? Stupid employer/jogger in that case if you ask me, in spite of their own situation and negligence would fire the very people that saved him because of some "disrespectful" words...

lets get real here for just a second...

edit on 22-12-2011 by Sly1one because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by StopFearMongering

And the progress toward a useful and adult conversation has been fully reversed abd we're back to this. Thanks.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MaxJohnson

I understand your point to a degree, but in addition to that, would it also be considered that because the cop did make the call, that he had a hand in that man's survival also? I know the victim of the accident didn't like what was said about him, but he should also think of showing some gratitude and handling the incident more like a reasonable man, than running to the news station complaining some one called him a dip#e. Kind of petty and unthankful really.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by StopFearMongering

What?

To everyone saying that this is a coping mechanism and that they do this because everyday they see the worst society has to offer.. I don't give a #. That's why they are held to higher standards than regular citizens.

There is no such thing as a perfect cop. There never will be. It's a hard job and even the toughest most capable person is going to be affected by the crap they have to deal with and the awful things they see.
edit on 22-12-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by StopFearMongering
To everyone saying that this is a coping mechanism and that they do this because everyday they see the worst society has to offer.. I don't give a #. That's why they are held to higher standards than regular citizens. They are expected to be models. And in that same video a pig slams a dude's head on the hood of a car. Did you guys even pay attention to that?

When you carry a gun and a badge it is completely unacceptable to be behaving like moronic meatheads. Although, I bet that's the reason they became cops in the first place.

I don't believe in abuse of power/authority just because one can...which I agree cops LOVE to do sometimes, but the expectations I think people have for "cops" is absolutely in every sense of the real world NOT PRACTICAL or based in reality...some may but there is always an exception to the rule.

Personally I understand why cops probably act like pricks and do some of the things they do, this is why I don't think they should have as much power/authority as they do, it will always be misused intentionally or even unintentionally by consequence of their human nature.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Spikedawg71

I know the victim of the accident didn't like what was said about him, but he should also think of showing some gratitude and handling the incident more like a reasonable man, than running to the news station complaining some one called him a dip#e. Kind of petty and unthankful really.

Honestly I would have been furious if I was in that man's shoes. I can totally understand his reaching out to the media. All he wants is an apology. I think he should get it. I could se myself saying something messed up in that situation. I aso know that if I did I would feel a need to say sorry.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
As an Rn i can tell you jokes like that are pretty normal at my workplace as well. I would'nt take this as meaning the police are heartless it's just after seeing these things so many times you get used to it. I guess you have to be on the job to get the joke.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Drowning yourself in apathy is not a coping mechanism. It just means you're a sociopath, congratulations.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
An individual who lacks empathy and compassion is a sociopath/psychopath.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
As an Rn i can tell you jokes like that are pretty normal at my workplace as well. I would'nt take this as meaning the police are heartless it's just after seeing these things so many times you get used to it. I guess you have to be on the job to get the joke.

A joke? But when it happens to you and you're the one who is severely traumatized, dying, or deathly ill, then it will be wrong ..... right?

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
You people will never understand. I've got plenty on empathy and compassion. Otherwise I wouldn't keep doing what I'm doing. Until you've worked in the streets and seen the dark underbelly of the world that exists around you won't get it. And no, you haven't seen it unless you've been there.

I won't have a problem if they were to make the joke about me. Chances are I'd beat them to it.
edit on 22-12-2011 by mus8472 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
What we have here are people (ATS) judging people (Cops) who are judging other people (the Jogger)

Irony, folks.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spikedawg71
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

"Disdain for the common man" Good analogy!

I was an EMT for 6 years back in the early 90's and there truly is nothing more disgusting on this planet than the people themselves. To quote Bill Hicks "Mankind is a virus with sneakers".

Joe and Jane Average, would make lousy first responders in general. It is a tough job a demanding job, emotionally and physically. Most people at the end of their work day go home to their life without a thought of their work day. I had many sleepless nights over what I seen. What you see out there as a first responder is the worst in people and no doubt it still affects me. My humor is very morbid, and that humor was what kept me from losing it.

It is a different world from the normal world. It jaded me no doubt about it. I got in under a noble ideology of wanting to help others, to be a good citizen, and so on. I eventually though started caring less about the public. Why bother sending me to that old lady on oxygen that still smokes? Why bandage up and stop the bleeding on a woman that continually goes back to a vicious husband? Compassion and empathy can only carry you for so long, til finally, you start seeing more clearly that most people are no good.

I'm not gonna condemn the cop though, even though he's pretty callow. As far as I'm concerned, he did his job and made the call. His actions probably helped save that person. If I was ran over and he made the call for me, I think I would show the cop a little gratitude then I'd call him a dick for what he said.

I respect what you said.

But, we're talking about a runner, someone exercising and looking out for their health, getting run over. Your examples don't apply to this scenario. If a cop needs a coping mechanism to deal with a runner hit by a truck, he probably shouldn't lawfully be able to carry a gun, if he's shaken up that easily.

It's not exactly like he is showing up to the same crack house for the 3rd time this month, dealing with spousal abuse or drug overdoses due to people not cleaning up their act.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
Cops, doctors, ambulance drivers, firefighters, military all have a propensity toward morbid humor. I think it's messed up but it's not new, and certainly isn't isolated just to cops. I'm not condoning the behavior, but I also don't think it's as bad as it seems. Flame away.

Yeah we all sit here behind computers saying "MY GOD, HIT BY A CAR?!?!?!"

While these guys have probably seen it all and then some. Not a huge deal to them... they're jaded by the crazy stuff they see.

This isn't the first time they've seen this and it's certainly not the first time someone reacted this way.

posted on Dec, 22 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   
When I went to the USA (Florida) many of the roads did not have sidewalks. Perhaps this contributed to the accident?
edit on 22/12/11 by C0bzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 23 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
it looked like a highway, multiple large trucks, a concrete divider separating the lanes.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join