It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's Flame Retardant in Mountain Dew

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

I personally can't "prove" it to you through links to the level you want--and my husband's comments were good enough for me. Of course, you have the right to reject what I said because you can't verify his existence. My family and I will continue to avoid anything with BVO. You can drink the heck out of it if you don't feel concerned.

How? How will you avoid something that rarely shows up on ingredient labels, and is in basically any packaged liquid that you might buy? Also, even if it isn't in the food itself, it is often used in the chemical processes and manufacturing of packaging. Your husband will know this. If he is an Organic Chemist, then he knows that Bromine is so widely used that it is impossible to avoid.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Apologies and I stand corrected, the problem with posting late at night on things from a bad memory.

I still do believe his points about HFCS being bad for us though. His (partial) point is that some of the glucose is converted to fructose. In the worst version available (HFCS 90, which is apparently added or used to mix with HFCS 55 and HFCS 42), 90% is glucose and 10% is sucrose and this is what is bad for the body.

A comment on the site is (imho) also quite telling.

"As a biochemist, I was floored by this presentation by Dr. Lustig of UCSF on high-fructose corn syrup."

I tend to let the experts do the talking as they don't need to use a bad memory like mine.

ETA I do apologise for getting irate, it's a risk I run when discussing subjects that are dear to my heart. I would like to still recommend watching his information. He explains in laymens terms with (to my eyes) fairly irrefutable proof the link between high fructose corn syrup (also crystalline fructose) and obesity, type 2 diabetes and the general unhealthiness of this cheap sugar alternative. I will confess to finding it a little strange that someone would close themselves to new information, even if you are an expert in a field related to the subject at hand but it is your right. Cheers.
edit on 21/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

We do the best we can to avoid what we can. Yes, it's impossible to avoid everything bad. But I don't ever buy anything with artificial sweeteners, I don't buy soft drinks (other than organic or all natural ones made by Blue Sky), and I buy organic and all natural whenever possible (including bread without bromine). My husband won't even eat charred meat, because of the carcinogens (I have to sneak around whenever we are at a cookout to get a charred hot dog...)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
My first double post! Oops...

edit on 21-12-2011 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

We do the best we can to avoid what we can. Yes, it's impossible to avoid everything bad. But I don't ever buy anything with artificial sweeteners, I don't buy soft drinks (other than organic or all natural ones made by Blue Sky), and I buy organic and all natural whenever possible (including bread without bromine). My husband won't even eat charred meat, because of the carcinogens (I have to sneak around whenever we are at a cookout to get a charred hot dog...)

Your husband is right. My Organic Chemistry teacher was a well-known, and published researcher, and he would tell you that charred hot dogs might be the #1 cause of breast cancer, or at least that a statistical connection exists to a very alarming degree. He would also tell you that men are becoming emasculated by the pharmaceutical industry, and virality is at an all-time low, and fish populations are suffering dramatically from discarded pharmaceuticals, and it will be our next great controversial disaster after all the global warming stuff has gone away.

So, listen to your husband.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

I know he is right, but DARN IT, they are SO TASTY!!!!!

I have a son with chemical sensitivities (he was worse when he was small, and as he's grown, he has improved) so years ago I had my eyes opened to the way we bombard ourselves with chemicals, especially when we are in public. It's no wonder all of America is sick with one thing or another.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by pteridine

I still do believe his points about HFCS being bad for us though. His (partial) point is that some of the glucose is converted to fructose. In the worst version available (HFCS 90, which is apparently added or used to mix with HFCS 55 and HFCS 42), 90% is glucose and 10% is sucrose and this is what is bad for the body.

ETA I do apologise for getting irate, it's a risk I run when discussing subjects that are dear to my heart. I would like to still recommend watching his information. He explains in laymens terms with (to my eyes) fairly irrefutable proof the link between high fructose corn syrup (also crystalline fructose) and obesity, type 2 diabetes and the general unhealthiness of this cheap sugar alternative. I will confess to finding it a little strange that someone would close themselves to new information, even if you are an expert in a field related to the subject at hand but it is your right. Cheers

Excess sugar is bad, in general, and there is no evidence in the literature that HFCS fructose is a bigger culprit, in spite of what the video says. Sucrose is a disaccharide of fructose and glucose that is first broken down during digestion into a 50:50 mix of fructose and glucose by the enzyme sucrase. If he is correct about fructose, table sugar is equally at fault. Your sentence on the composition of HFCS 90 is incorrect; HFCS-90 is about 90% fructose and 10% glucose. The point of all of this is that HFCS is a mixture of sugars that are no better or worse than any other sources of these sugars. If fructose is the culprit, then fruits and honey are to be avoided as well as HFCS. If the combination of glucose and fructose is bad, then honey and HFCS are equally bad.

As to getting irate, that is a common thing on ATS and no one will think the worse of you for a passionate defense of your ideals.
edit on 12/21/2011 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
OH NO!

If you look theres another flame retardent in there!

......Water...........

nice

posted on Dec, 28 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   
Its also loaded with high fructose corn syrup thats very bad for you.
It also has phosphoric acid which is toilet bowl cleaner, I will NOT pay to drink toilet bowl cleaner.
This is true for most soft drinks.
These are some reasons why I dont do any soft drinks now.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I've been drinking soda in copious amounts for the last 8 years and I'm extremely fit, I'm sick with a headache no more than twice a year and you could scrub clothes on my abs. The last two and a half months I've had one glass of water. The rest of my fluid intake has been soda, energy drinks and vodka. As long as you work out and eat somewhat healthily there's absolutely no problem. People make me laugh the way they talk about soda as if it's poison. If you're afraid of death and it causes you to miss out on fun I almost feel sorry for you.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

It's interesting you mention that. There is a Hollywood movie (?) cartoon I forget the name
of but maybe someone else can jog my memory. It's set in the future where the whole of mankind have become fat, lazy and stupid. They sit in hover mobiles all day (due to their weight) and drink nothing but soda. There is no need to work as machines do most of it. As they have lost all their ability to think (probably due to all the soda use) they have a catastrophe and crops fail because they are so stupid, they don't give the crops water, they give them soda. It was a great little cartoon but I just can't remember the name of it.

maybe you are thinking of the movie Idiocracy?

although it sounds like you are mixing a bit of Wall-E in with the story...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join