It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's Flame Retardant in Mountain Dew

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

It's interesting you mention that. There is a Hollywood movie (?) cartoon I forget the name of but maybe someone else can jog my memory. It's set in the future where the whole of mankind have become fat, lazy and stupid. They sit in hover mobiles all day (due to their weight) and drink nothing but soda. There is no need to work as machines do most of it. As they have lost all their ability to think (probably due to all the soda use) they have a catastrophe and crops fail because they are so stupid, they don't give the crops water, they give them soda. It was a great little cartoon but I just can't remember the name of it.

Cartoon? That sounds an awful like "Idiocracy" which is one of the best films by Mike Judge (Beavis & butthead, office space, king of the hill)

"it's got what plants crave"

Anyways, this is hardly breaking news, if you are still unaware of how bad soda drinks are for you, well, how is living in that closet for the past 100 years treating you?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Previous posters already pointed out I got my films muddled and it was indeed Idiocracy. As for this thread, the linked article is dated quite recently. Personally I never drink soda as I actually hate the stuff, sugary sweet and full of crap but judging from the replies here some people were unaware so in the trend of Deny Ignorance, I think it has served at least a small purpose and informed a few people.

For the record, I drink nothing artificial, eat no processed foods and am a vegetarian to boot.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by twitchy

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by mikemck1976

Anything bottled likely contains that ingredient. It is used as an antifoaming agent when the liquid is agitated and sprayed into bottles at high velocity.

You know what other flame-retardant is in Mountain Dew? WATER!

So because softdrinks contain water, that somehow mitigates the dangers of BVO's? Because it's used as an anti-foaming agent, it's just fine for consumption? What's your point exactly?
indeed.

Well, the premise of the thread is that if Bromine is used in Fire Retardents then it is automatically unhealthy for you, so my counter point is that water is also used in fire retardents. Plus, the additional point that Mtn Dew has been singled out here, when in fact every bottled drink from Ocean Spray to Budweiser also uses this product as an anti-foaming agent. So, you can get up in arms about Mtn Dew, but it would be completely useless.

So there you have it. I never said it was a good thing to drink, I'm just pointing out that it isn't automatically dangerous, and it isn't unique to Mtn Dew.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

How would you respond to the suggestion that the US is infact one of the only western developed nations to allow this chemical to be present in a foodstuff or beverage meant for human consumption getreadyalready?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

See This Earlier post.

I'm not surprised by it at all, and I'm not happy about it. We allow far too many chemicals into our foodstuffs. We allow secrecy in labeling. We allow the FDA and USDA to target small operations while exempting large corporations. We reward terrible business practices of huge corps while at the same time penalizing and driving small operations out of business. We allow stuff like BVA, but we don't allow raw milk? We make people pass rigorous and expensive tests for a handful of rabbits or chickens on their own land, but we don't even inspect large meat-packing facilities.

I worked for a large bottling plant for 4 years, and we never saw a FDA or USDA inspector once! We did see a Rabbi monthly for our Kosher runs. The Rabbi would inspect the cleanliness, look at labels for products, and make sure the lines were sanitized both before and after a Kosher run, and he would even bless the equipment prior to the run. Its a dam shame when a Rabbi is doing more good than our giant FDA and USDA combined.

None of that changes my point for this thread though. BVA isn't unique to Mtn Dew, and just because something is in both food and other chemicals doesn't mean anything.

I'm sure you've seen the calls for banning dihydrogen monoxide? It is present in 100% of cancer cells, it is deadly when inhaled, it is dangerous in its solid form, it causes asphyxiation, it is present in almost every type of poison, it causes damage to equipment, corrodes metals, and results in millions of dollars in property damage every year.
I'm just saying don't trust the hype on these types of things.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
There's a simple solution here.. Stop drinking this and other similar crap. Aside from the chemicals, the amount of sugar is sure to give you problems if your drinking enough for these chemicals to harm you. Stick to water, natural fruit juices and a nice cup of tea.

I'm not the healthiest person on Earth but I don't feel the need to drink fizzy drinks and eat loads of processed food. It also saves me some money

edit on 20-12-2011 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I agree with healthy eating, but I thought I'd share this pic. It kind of speaks otherwise, LOL!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
How about this! Turn Mountain Dew into a glow light! Sorry to add some humor but this video is all I could think about while reading these posts.

youtu.be...

edit on 20-12-2011 by restlessinMT because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:22 AM
link   
It isn't a surprise though is it? I mean come on, it tastes bloomin horrible!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by OmegaOwl

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
OH NO!

If you look theres another flame retardent in there!

......Water...........

We need to place a ban on dihydrogen monoxide,
Get the facts here

www.dhmo.org...

edit on 19-12-2011 by OmegaOwl because: (no reason given)

lol nice one, i'[m like what is Dihydrogen Monoxide... never heard about it chem classes.. then i started building a graphic image in my head.. 2 hydrogen molecules and 1 oxygen molecule.... damn it!...WATER!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I agree with healthy eating, but I thought I'd share this pic. It kind of speaks otherwise, LOL!

Wow I didn't know Nigella was 51.. she's hot

There are extremes at both ends of the spectrum. I don't consider Gillian McKeith's diet to be healthy. you need a balanced diet and hers is caca. Nigella cooks with proper ingredients and doesn't buy mass produced rubbish which contains all the harmful chemicals, extra salt and sugar. THAT is why she still looks as good as she does.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   

edit on 20-12-2011 by fiftyfifty because: double post

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by AriesJedi
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Are you talking about Wall E from Disney?.
We love Wall E, not the movie but the robot, he's cute.

Shame about Mountain Dew, I got the taste for it in USA on holiday. In UK it costs £5 to buy one can, not kidding, so I get one for Christmas. I think it's now off my Christmas list this year.

I also buy a big Hershey bar, anything wrong with Hershey before I buy one?

Is anyone else getting fed up with manufactures? They just don't care anymore about the health of their buyers, do they?

Have a Happy Christmas, if you make all your own food????!!!!!!!!********

I'll ship you a couple cases if you send me a couple cases of scotch broth; can't get that stuff here anymore.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

The doom can still be in the mind of the reader and I'm sure it will be. I only try to bring reality to such posts and let others insert doom. Mountain Dew may be a good rust removal agent, BVO or not, but is probably not a good beverage for those with their own teeth.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Dew also contains that nefarious agent orange juice.

edit on 20-12-2011 by primus2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by restlessinMT

I love it thanks for posting! Radioactive, luminescent Mountain Dew.
"Coming to a mountain located in the exhaling breath of Fukushima, near you..."

ETA Is it just me or does the title of this thread not remind you (or other posters) of the phrase:
"There's Gold in them thar hills!"

edit on 20/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

You combined two different movies, Wall-e and Idiocracy.

Wall-e had the hover things because they were fat and what not and was a cartoon
Idiocracy was a movie, where they were way to stupid to realize plants need water and not soda.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Also, I thought that my fellow ATSers who didn’t know anything about this subject would like to learn more about it.
It’s not an attack against Mountain Dew or any other soft drink.
I did not intend to upset anyone in any way.
To those of you that feel that this thread is not relevant to you, or could care less about this topic…
Go find another thread to post your snide remarks in, (you know who you are) and leave this one to the ATSers who would like to learn more about this topic, like myself.
To those ATSers who have provided information on this subject, I thank you.
With that said, let’s get back to the subject at hand…

As it was pointed out by @ pteridine…

The BVO is limited to an "amount not to exceed 15 parts per million in the finished beverage" as per 42 FR 14636, Mar. 15, 1977, as amended at 49 FR 5610, Feb. 14, 1984. There is no need to use the maximum and companies would not do so because water is cheaper. Calculating for the maximum amount, this means that in a 12 ounce can [about 350 grams] there is a maximum of 0.0053g [about 5milligrams] of BVO. If we brominate oleic acid, the bromine makes up about 36% by weight of the BVO which is equivalent to 0.0019 [2 milligrams] of bromine if it is all metabolized to bromide ion which is not a certainty. There is a significant difference between water soluble bromide ion and equivalent bromine in BVO.
To put this in perspective for all the natural food enthusiasts, if all the BVO bromine in a can of Mountain Dew was converted to bromide ion, it would amount to the bromide ion in one gram of sea salt.

The article originally posted also states…

After a few extreme soda binges—not too far from what many gamers regularly consume—a few patients have needed medical attention for skin lesions, memory loss and nerve disorders, all symptoms of overexposure to bromine. Other studies suggest that BVO could be building up in human tissues, just like other brominated compounds such as flame retardants. In mouse studies, big doses caused reproductive and behavioral problems.

Another article I found states… Environmental Health News

You don't have to be a gamer to drink these fruit-flavored sodas. In the United States, 85 percent of kids drink a beverage containing sugar or artificial sweetener at least once per week, according to a study published last month. Sodas are the largest source of calories for teenagers between the ages of 14 to 18, according to a National Cancer Institute study. For adults, soda, energy and sports drinks are the fourth largest source of calories, a federal study found.

Also...

Brominated flame retardants lately are under intense scrutiny because research has shown that they are building up in people’s bodies, including breast milk, around the world. Designed to slow the spread of flames, they are added to polystyrene foam cushions used in upholstered furniture and children's products, as well as plastics used in electronics. Research in animals as well as some human studies have found links to impaired neurological development, reduced fertility, early onset of puberty and altered thyroid hormones.

This article goes on to say…

Some experts are unconvinced, saying that the FDA standards are based on decades-old data."Compounds like these that are in widespread use probably should be reexamined periodically with newer technologies to ensure that there aren't effects that would have been missed by prior methods," said Charles Vorhees, a toxicologist at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, who studied BVO's neurological effects in the early 1980s. "I think BVO is the kind of compound that probably warrants some reexamination."Toxicity testing has changed dramatically in the past few decades. Multiple generations of animals now can be tested for neurodevelopmental, hormonal and reproductive changes that weren't imagined in the 1970s and early 1980s.

This led me to this conclusion…

If you drink one or two of these products a day, it more than likely won’t hurt you. This would only be 2 to 4 milligrams of BVO a day, not too bad.
But the thing is, I know people that drink up to a half a case of these soft drinks if not more a day!
6 cans a day on average of these soft drinks a day adds up to…

12 milligrams a day.
84 milligrams in a week.
336 milligrams a month.
4.32 grams a year!

If the BVO builds up in the body tissues, as believed it does, makes this an issue that is in need of more study.

edit on 20-12-2011 by mikemck1976 because: Spelling

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
How is it illegal in Europe of it's legal to sell Mountain Dew in Finland? Or are they making a special Finn-mix for us?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I think the artificial sweeteners in soft drinks now are worse than the flame retardant.

To save money they quit using sugar.

Anyone notice America greatly decreased the beer and softdrinks they are drinking? The sheep have been getting smarter, there's hope for America yet.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join