It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's Flame Retardant in Mountain Dew

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Anyone ever heard of the really tasty drink called Golden Cockerel Ginger Beer?
I heard that that drink has something like Prestone in it.
And Smarties candies (like M&M's) have Turtle Wax on them to give them that nice shine.

Who knows why they use these products in food, but humans can take a lot of dammage and eat a lot of weird things.
My grandfather used to chew on pieces of tar he found on the road.

edit on 19-12-2011 by Fishticon84 because: spelling error.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

From the link I posted previously:

BVO and Your Thyroid Bromine is such a strong “bully” in the thyroid that it is implicated in nearly every thyroid condition. In one study[1. Vobecky M et al., Interaction of Bromine with Iodine in the Rat Thyroid Gland at Enhanced Bromide Intake, Biol Trace Elem Res 1996.] fully 1/3 of the iodine content in the thyroids of rats was displaced by bromide.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Common uses of Bromine.

It is everywhere. It is used in everything. From your plastic wear to your Tylenol. From your hot tub water to your dish soap. Bromine is a very useful chemical and it is used in so many chemical processes that it would be impossible to avoid.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
reply to post by AriesJedi

Pixar created WALL-E, not Disney but Disney bought Pixar eventually, leaving them as an independant daughter company. But yes, that movie. I am a huge Pixar fan and anything they have made is gold basically. Monsters Inc. is my favourite but only by a very small margin.

I drink no soda and no bottled water as that often contains fluoride and Plasticizers. It's all nasty, chemical, sugary junk. Beer, coffee or tapwater is my limit and here there is no Fluoride in the tapwater.

edit on 19/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
Brominated oils are bad for you for one main reason...they bind to the iodine receptors in your body in place of iodine. That can cause a lot of health issues, because iodine is necessary for proper thyroid function.

Iodine and bromine appear similar to the thyroid gland and bromine easily binds to the thyroid gland’s receptors for iodine. Bromine, however, is of no value to the thyroid gland unlike iodine and it inhibits the activity of iodine in the thyroid gland. Bromine also can cause impaired thinking and memory, drowsiness, dizziness and irritability.
www.newswithviews.com...

What is the evidence that BVO's do the same??

My husband has a PhD in Medicinal Chemistry (Organic/Heterocyclic chemistry are his main interests) and he assures me that the brominated vegetable oil can do that.

If you need more :-), here:

Brominated Vegetable Oil(BVO) - is a vegetable oil that has atoms of elemental bromine bonded to it. It is used in Mt Dew as an emulsifier (stabilizes the combining of two *unblendable* substances). It is what gives drinks that cloudy look. In this case it helps keep fat-soluable citrus flavorings suspended in the drink.

Long after consumption, traces of BVO will remain and can be found in the tissues. Bromide is a halide which has been shown to inhibit thyroid function by blocking the uptake of iodine. When in an iodine deficient state and bromine is supplied, the thyroid gland will take it in because it's *appears* to be a close substitute for iodine.

www.naturalthyroidchoices.com...

Bromides are a common endocrine disruptor. Because bromide is also a halide, it competes for the same receptors that are used in the thyroid gland (among other places) to capture iodine. This will inhibit thyroid hormone production resulting in a low thyroid state.

Iodine is essential for your body, and is detected in every organ and tissue. There is increasing evidence that low iodine is related to numerous diseases, including cancer. Various clinicians and researchers have found iodine effective with everything from goiter to constipation.

Bromide can be found in several forms. Methyl Bromide is a pesticide used mainly on strawberries, found predominantly in the California areas. Brominated Vegetable Oil (BVO) is added to citrus drinks to help suspend the flavoring in the liquid.

articles.mercola.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

Indeed, I just noticed it is used in flour and other products used for baked goods. That is not the same as saying it is healthy though, imho.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Honestly there is so much crap in our food anymore its staggering......

Unless you are growing your own stuff, and distilling your own water......

Youre going to be poisoned/medicated......

sad state of affairs really

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

No, definitely not saying it is healthy. Our diets are poisonous, no doubt in my mind. Bromine, Chlorine, Flouride, and other dangerous and highly reactive chemicals are extremely common in our food supply. Pharmaceutical use is out of control. Soils are stripped of nutrients. Cyclical flooding is now controlled, and farmland is never replenished, but instead it is supplemented with fertilizer chemicals.

Definitely nothing "healthy" about anything we eat these days.

I am planting a large garden next year. I'm on well water. I already have mature fruit trees and bushes, and I have a little pond behind my house with bass, perch, and bluegill. I have a friend setting up a beehive for me in February. My yard floods all the way up to the house once or twice per year. Hopefully I can add chickens and rabbits to the little mini farm sometime next year as well.

My wife has to eat a Gluten-free diet, because of auto-immune disorders, and she and my youngest son have already had life-threatening bouts with food allergies.

I'm not advocating any chemicals, I'm just pointing out that Mtn Dew is not an evil drink, it is just an average drink.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

OK. Point received and understood, thanks for clarifying. BTW, that gluten allergy sounds like a hard and possibly expensive thing to work around diet-wise. I am no expert but I see gluten-free products in the health store here and they don't look cheap.

Wow! The garden sounds very cool and those bees will be a pleasure. Gotta love nature. I wish I had the opportunity to do what you are but this property is rented and the garden is mainly paving stones. I wish you well.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

thanks for the link. fascinating! scary! (why are those two words so frequently linked? but i digress...) i was curious because i drank a LOT of mountain dew code red when i was pregnant with my last kiddo :/ parenthood is one long list of coulda/shoulda/woulda.

gluten sensitivities/allergies are no fun. my 2 youngest kids have this. i've had to learn a whole new way of cooking. oh, and, you're right... it ain't cheap! well, the prepared stuff isn't. if you don't mind doing absolutely everything from scratch, it's not so expensive, just a pain.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by mikemck1976

Anything bottled likely contains that ingredient. It is used as an antifoaming agent when the liquid is agitated and sprayed into bottles at high velocity.

You know what other flame-retardant is in Mountain Dew? WATER!

So because softdrinks contain water, that somehow mitigates the dangers of BVO's? Because it's used as an anti-foaming agent, it's just fine for consumption? What's your point exactly?
indeed.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

So no actual link showing that BVO has this effect - appeals to authority are of not interest to me sorry - just verifiable facts.

I know that's not the way things usually work on ATS, so sorry if it seems strange to you.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Interesting thread. I noticed many years ago when in would drink the soft drinks with brominated vegetable oil I'd get digestive upset. Some sodas were worse than others and syrupy ones like some orange sodas where you could really feel like you were drinking vegetable oil would affect me the worst and give me the "d" word. Sorry, tmi, but my body reacted like those sodas were poison. I only drink coffee, tea, and filtered tap water these days with just a very rare cola or ginger ale when I'm at restaurants and the quality of the other beverages I drink at home are questionable.

If it's in bread I'm not surprised. I don't know if I have a gluten problem but I often don't feel well after eating a lot of baked goods or some canned soups. I'm getting so I'm tending to eat food in its basic states like a plain fruit or vegetable with just some spice rather than elaborate recipes or baked goods. I do still eat processed foods on busy days. When I do, it will show in my appearance as my skin looks haggard and my digestion is "off" which makes me look tired and ill.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

It's interesting you mention that. There is a Hollywood movie (?) cartoon I forget the name
of but maybe someone else can jog my memory. It's set in the future where the whole of mankind have become fat, lazy and stupid. They sit in hover mobiles all day (due to their weight) and drink nothing but soda. There is no need to work as machines do most of it. As they have lost all their ability to think (probably due to all the soda use) they have a catastrophe and crops fail because they are so stupid, they don't give the crops water, they give them soda. It was a great little cartoon but I just can't remember the name of it.

I haven't gone through all the posts yet, so someone may have answered you. I think you got two movies mixed up.
The first movie is a cartoon, Wall-E. The people were sent to space because the Earth was toxic due to pollution. They went around in hover chairs and got fat.. They did know about the benefits of water and watered the plant they planted when they returned to Earth.
The second movie was Idiocracy. Due to inbreeding of not-so-smart people, people were convinced by cooperation to survive on Brando (Gatorade). They tried watering the field with it but it didn't work due to the electrolytes. They were horrified when Owen Wilson's brother (can't remember his name right now), came from the past in a time capsule and told them to water the plants with water, which was only used in the future for toilets.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:08 AM
link   

The movie is called Idiocracy, starring Luke Wilson. Funny as hell.
I laugh for the entire scene when he's at the hospital.

Anyway, I just drank a mountain dew, noticed it had 77gs of sugar and thought that was bad.
And now I find out on top of the diabetes, I'm fire proof now!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
reply to post by collietta

As you (and a previous poster, someone with a dog as avatar, please look back) I think it was just WALL-E. Wait, according to my "list" (containing some several hundred movies) I have seen idiocracy as well but I remember a cartoon. Damn, this is the problem with watching so many movies yanno? They all kinda just blend in the brain....
Good point and I think i need to download and watch at least WALL-E again to confirm or rather deny ignorance. Good catch!

ETA Please, everyone, just forgive me. My brain is muddled and Idiocracy does seem to be the movie. Funny as hell but i will never detract from WALL-E either. Which ever it is, it's all good.

"This tube goes in your mouth, and this one goes in your butt"

In any case, both movies are great and now I have to go snort beer through my nose the wrong way! Thanks!
Idiocracy
edit on 20/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA, Correction, mindfunk...

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:11 AM
link   

Ask your husband about the sigmoidal dose-response curve and have him check the effect of two milligrams of bromide ion on an adult human.

The BVO is limited to an "amount not to exceed 15 parts per million in the finished beverage" as per 42 FR 14636, Mar. 15, 1977, as amended at 49 FR 5610, Feb. 14, 1984. There is no need to use the maximum and companies would not do so because water is cheaper. Calculating for the maximum amount, this means that in a 12 ounce can [about 350 grams] there is a maximum of 0.0053g [ about 5milligrams] of BVO. If we brominate oleic acid, the bromine makes up about 36% by weight of the BVO which is equivalent to 0.0019 [2 milligrams] of bromine if it is all metabolized to bromide ion which is not a certainty.There is a significant difference between water soluble bromide ion and equivalent bromine in BVO.

To put this in perspective for all the natural food enthusiasts, if all the BVO bromine in a can of Mountain Dew was converted to bromide ion, it would amount to the bromide ion in one gram of sea salt.

Fire retardant use of BVO is a low cost way of imparting some flame retardant properties to organic materials. Generally, any organobromine compound will work, as will phosphorus compounds, and BVO has properties of low vapor pressure, readily availability, and low cost that make it a good choice for this. In general, a flame retardant changes the products of combustion preventing flammable gases from being formed during pyrolysis and stopping the combustion cycle. The material will still burn but will not be self supporting combustion.
As a point of interest, there are other really good reasons for not drinking Mountain Dew. One of my undergrad summer jobs was in a water analysis lab. I generally ran the AA and XRD, but also did standard water analyses such as pH, TDS, VS, hardness, organics, BOD, COD, etc. Occasionally, we would run various things through a standard water analysis just for fun as part of a larger group of samples. After we ran Mountain Dew, no one in the lab drank it after that. The kicker was a pH of about 1.8, the most acidic of any beverage we analyzed at the time. If there are any dentists or dental students on the boards, give an opinion on what drinking such does to dental enamel.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

Well, you took the doom right out of this one, didn't you pteridine....

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

So what level would a person have to go to, to prove science to you? Are you just going to ignore the advice of a number of very qualified persons based on the fact that you havent seen thier lab or thier test results for yourself?

Just curious is all. I mean, I have never seen an atom bomb go off live, but I know enough about them to understand that I do not particularly WANT to see one go off either.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
Why do you think so many World of Warcraft players drink it?
One more elixir of protection against dragons can't be bad.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join