It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's Flame Retardant in Mountain Dew

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

There's Flame Retardant in Mountain Dew

gizmodo.com

Mountain Dew. The oh so sweet is it yellow? is it green? nectar of the geek gods and fuel for gamers has flame retardant in it. Yup. Mountain Dew, along with 10 percent of sodas in the US, contains brominated vegetable oil (BVO), a flame retardant chemical banned in Europe and Japan.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
You guys have to read this story….

It goes on to say that various citrus soft drinks such as: Mountain Dew, Squirt, Fanta Orange, Sunkist Pineapple, Gatorade Thirst Quencher Orange, Powerade Strawberry Lemonade and Fresca Original Citrus contain the flame retardant BVO.

I’m glad I’ve never been that big on soda!

gizmodo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+22 more 
posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
OH NO!

If you look theres another flame retardent in there!

......Water...........

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Well,good,I will never have to worry about spontaneous combustion again.
Thanks for the info.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
That's disgusting. I gave up drinking all sodas about 4 years ago, but I know my grown kids still drink citrus flavored soda. I'll have to let them know they're drinking flame retardant. Thanks for the info!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

Now thats funny!

2nd. Line

Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.
edit on 12/20/2011 by semperfortis because: (no reason given)

link   
BVO has been in soft drinks since 1931 - how is this "Breaking news", let alone alternative??

link   
Brominated oils are bad for you for one main reason...they bind to the iodine receptors in your body in place of iodine. That can cause a lot of health issues, because iodine is necessary for proper thyroid function.

Iodine and bromine appear similar to the thyroid gland and bromine easily binds to the thyroid gland’s receptors for iodine. Bromine, however, is of no value to the thyroid gland unlike iodine and it inhibits the activity of iodine in the thyroid gland. Bromine also can cause impaired thinking and memory, drowsiness, dizziness and irritability.
www.newswithviews.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
OH NO!

If you look theres another flame retardent in there!

......Water...........

We need to place a ban on dihydrogen monoxide,
Get the facts here

www.dhmo.org...

edit on 19-12-2011 by OmegaOwl because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Same here. I'll drink one once and awhile
But it just had to be in the flavor of Gatorade I like.

Can't win for lose'n.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Remember "The Smurf Man" who turned blue from too much Colloidal Silver use? Well here's wiki on EVO.

In one case, a man who drank eight liters of Ruby-Red Squirt daily had a reaction that caused his skin color to turn red and produced lesions diagnosed as bromoderma. The excessive quantities together with the fact that the man had a higher than normal sensitivity to bromine made this an unusual case.[2] A similar case reported that a man who consumed two to four liters of a cola containing BVO on a daily basis experienced memory loss, tremors, fatigue, loss of muscle coordination, headache, ptosis of the right eyelid as well as elevated serum chloride.[3] In the two months it took to correctly diagnose the problem, the patient also lost the ability to walk. Eventually bromism was diagnosed and hemodialysis was prescribed which resulted in a reversal of the disorder.[4]

Source
8 litres a day? That is some going...
edit on 19/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

that's very interesting that the body has a hard time differentiating between the two.

if it's hard on the body of an adult, i'd be very curious to know what the effect on a developing fetus is. i looked around a bit, but i couldn't find much info on this. anyone?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

It's interesting you mention that. There is a Hollywood movie (?) cartoon I forget the name
of but maybe someone else can jog my memory. It's set in the future where the whole of mankind have become fat, lazy and stupid. They sit in hover mobiles all day (due to their weight) and drink nothing but soda. There is no need to work as machines do most of it. As they have lost all their ability to think (probably due to all the soda use) they have a catastrophe and crops fail because they are so stupid, they don't give the crops water, they give them soda. It was a great little cartoon but I just can't remember the name of it.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Wall-E

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KingsMistress

I can't find much info on effects on babies but after reading this I think it must surely fall into the category of "Do Not Want". Links to cancer have also been shown. Yuck!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing...

Its crazy what they put into our drink and food!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Yay! Thank you! How on earth can I forget my 2nd most favourite Pixar film???
*kicks self in the behind*

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

Anything bottled likely contains that ingredient. It is used as an antifoaming agent when the liquid is agitated and sprayed into bottles at high velocity.

You know what other flame-retardant is in Mountain Dew? WATER!

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

Are you talking about Wall E from Disney?.
We love Wall E, not the movie but the robot, he's cute.

Shame about Mountain Dew, I got the taste for it in USA on holiday. In UK it costs £5 to buy one can, not kidding, so I get one for Christmas. I think it's now off my Christmas list this year.

I also buy a big Hershey bar, anything wrong with Hershey before I buy one?

Is anyone else getting fed up with manufactures? They just don't care anymore about the health of their buyers, do they?

Have a Happy Christmas, if you make all your own food????!!!!!!!!********

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
Brominated oils are bad for you for one main reason...they bind to the iodine receptors in your body in place of iodine. That can cause a lot of health issues, because iodine is necessary for proper thyroid function.

Iodine and bromine appear similar to the thyroid gland and bromine easily binds to the thyroid gland’s receptors for iodine. Bromine, however, is of no value to the thyroid gland unlike iodine and it inhibits the activity of iodine in the thyroid gland. Bromine also can cause impaired thinking and memory, drowsiness, dizziness and irritability.
www.newswithviews.com...

What is the evidence that BVO's do the same??

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join