It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's Flame Retardant in Mountain Dew

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

You are correct sir. The Fructose syrup now used in Soda is far worse than any BVO, you'd be better off drinking lard.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Ashertron

Fructose syrup or high fructose corn syrup? There is a large and unhealthy difference I believe. HFCS is a poison. Dr Lustig (MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology) made an excellent documentary called Sugar: The Bitter Truth. Another reason I avoid soda.

Its a great watch but is 1 hour 30 long
www.youtube.com...
edit on 20/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by LightSpeedDriver

I chose the short version. Basically Fructose (both forms) = YOU GONNA GET FAT FATTY.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by Ashertron

Fructose syrup or high fructose corn syrup? There is a large and unhealthy difference I believe. HFCS is a poison. Dr Lustig (MD, UCSF Professor of Pediatrics in the Division of Endocrinology) made an excellent documentary called Sugar: The Bitter Truth. Another reason I avoid soda.

Its a great watch but is 1 hour 30 long
www.youtube.com...
edit on 20/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Typo

Sugar is sugar. Fructose from HFCS is identical to fructose from fruits.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pteridine

If you believe that, then maybe you should watch the posted video I linked. They are most definitely not the same. I'll let the doctor explain it though. He does it so much better.

ETA Sugar is sugar?

Sucrose is the organic compound commonly known as table sugar and sometimes called saccharose. A white, odorless, crystalline powder with a sweet taste, it is best known for its role in human nutrition. The molecule is a disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose with the molecular formula C12H22O11.

Please do desist with your based on non-facts misinformation. In other words, watch the video and listen to what somebody (an expert) who knows what he is talking about is trying to tell you.

edit on 20/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I can't drink Mtn Dew because it gives me really bad stomach aches. I can get away with Diet Dew or genric Diet Dew every once in a great while. I've switched over to mostly diet or Coke Zero's the last few years due to diabetes... and trying to get away from it... but am having trouble with it. I can't drink plain water unless it's cold, I dunno why. I love coffee lately though.. and am thinking if I can kick my soda habit, 2-3 cups of coffee a day and some cold water will be good.

What about those Sobe Lifewaters? Or the Crystal Light singles? Those ok to drink?

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I have known this for years and I do not even life in the US, well I knew it was banned for bad ingredients. If you think that is bad go look up aspartame.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Im sure many drinks are full of chemicals that will kill you.........Water being one of them....drink too much water, and you can die.
Another additive that is a cancer causing, is the Preservative 112.
This is prevalent in most orange, lime, lemonade, citrus type drinks and also Mountain Dew.

112 is Sodium Benzoate.......They use to put Benzine in Fuel.

IT is banned in Europe, and maybe the US but not sure....

Either way, like Roberta sings...."Killing Me Softly...la la la" etc.

Coke and Pepsi...the straight versions, dont have pres 112.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gort51

Sodium Benzoate is actually E211. Potasium benzoate is E212, and Calcium benzoate is E213.

Benzoates are slowly being removed from soft drinks
edit on 20-12-2011 by Aloysius the Gaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Please do desist with your based on non-facts misinformation. In other words, watch the video and listen to what somebody (an expert) who knows what he is talking about is trying to tell you.

D-fructose is D-fructose, regardless of the source. It can be from an apple or corn syrup but it is the same stuff. I don't need anyone to confirm that nor do I want to spend 1.5 hours hearing a theory that fructose is the source of diabetes in youth. If fructose is the cause, it is the cause whether it comes from apples or corn syrup.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

I am happy for you that you feel safe in your knowledge. As the linked video from an (highly qualified and backed up by factual information) expert shows, hfcs is not the same as sugar but please do continue espousing your unknowledge of the facts. May you sway many an opinion. Not!

To be clear, HFCS contains one component and that component is BAD for the human body. Good health to you Sir!

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

To be clear, HFCS contains one component and that component is BAD for the human body. Good health to you Sir!

To be clear, HFCS contains at least two components, fructose and glucose, which are monosaccharides. Interestingly, "Honey typically has a fructose/glucose ratio similar to HFCS 55, as well as containing some sucrose and other sugars." en.wikipedia.org... It would seem that honey and HFCS 55 [55% fructose and 42% glucose], the material used in soft drinks, are so similar that the evils of HFCS 55 should also be shared by honey.
If the evil component is fructose, you will have to give up many fruits and some vegetables in addition to honey.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

One, you did not watch the video and two, honey is a natural product not borne from unhealthy chemical reactions and processes. That is all.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:28 AM
link   

One, you did not watch the video and two, honey is a natural product not borne from unhealthy chemical reactions and processes. That is all.

No, I did not watch a 1.5 hour video for no reason. We settled that issue.

Honey is nearly identical to HFCS. HFCS is made from naturally occuring corn starch, using naturally occurring enzymes that convert it to the sugars fructose and glucose which are also naturally occurring throughout nature. Bees produce honey by regurgitating partially digested nectar. The digestion process has many enzymes associated with it.
This will probably shock you, but all things natural are the result of chemical reactions. Further, being 'natural' does not confer some sort of healthiness or goodness. Aflatoxin, a carcinogen, is made by a mold that lives in peanuts that have not been fumigated with bromomethane, a natural product of sea organisms. Organic peanuts are bad for you. So are various venoms from snakes, insects, jellyfish, spiders, fish, and other animals. There are toxins from a surprising number of common plants and fungi. Mushrooms are not all suitable for salads and eating the wrong part of a potato plant can kill you.
Your education can continue if you wish to discuss this further.

ETA: That is all.

edit on 12/21/2011 by pteridine because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Oh please. "Honey is nearly identical to product X." ?

Let me fix that for you.

"Honey is completely different to product X."

Now please do go spout your rubbish somewhere else. Thanks! I will waste little time on the rest of your post because it is misinformed nonsense. Drink and eat all the chemicals you desire though, it is your freedom, your health and your right.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Oh please. "Honey is nearly identical to product X." ?

Let me fix that for you.

"Honey is completely different to product X."

Now please do go spout your rubbish somewhere else. Thanks! I will waste little time on the rest of your post because it is misinformed nonsense. Drink and eat all the chemicals you desire though, it is your freedom, your health and your right.

Honey is mainly fructose and glucose. So is HFCS. Enzymes used to make HFCS are found in honey. If fructose is evil, so is honey, most fruits, and some vegetables.
You drink and eat nothing but chemicals but didn't realize it until now. Ignorance of biochemistry has blinded you to reality. You will not respond to my post because you are not able to rebut anything in it. I do enjoy the squirming of the chemophobes when they discover the awful truth. Eat more fiber, it will clear your mind.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by mikemck1976

Anything bottled likely contains that ingredient. It is used as an antifoaming agent when the liquid is agitated and sprayed into bottles at high velocity.

You know what other flame-retardant is in Mountain Dew? WATER!

Actually, ANYTHING that does not promote combustion/fuel is considered to be a flame retardant. Just as folks have pointed out, water in Dew is a flame retardant AND any of the following ingredients, either in combination or by themselves, will douse a fire:

Carbonated water, high fructose corn syrup, concentrated orange juice, citric acid, natural flavor, sodium benzoate (preservative), caffeine, sodium citrate, erythorbic acid (preservative), gum arabic, calcium disodium EDTA (preservative), brominated vegetable oil, and Yellow 5.

To be a flame retardant, the substance will either starve the fire of O2, or, smother the fire with non-flammable bulk to physically smother the flame.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by MacSen191
I can't drink Mtn Dew because it gives me really bad stomach aches. I can get away with Diet Dew or genric Diet Dew every once in a great while. I've switched over to mostly diet or Coke Zero's the last few years due to diabetes... and trying to get away from it... but am having trouble with it. I can't drink plain water unless it's cold, I dunno why. I love coffee lately though.. and am thinking if I can kick my soda habit, 2-3 cups of coffee a day and some cold water will be good.

What about those Sobe Lifewaters? Or the Crystal Light singles? Those ok to drink?

IMHO, anything with nutra-kill/Aspartame is not good to drink. The lesser of the two evils is Splenda and Aculfame-K.

Truvia/Stevia is the way to go, but the big soda makers are being paid off by Montsamo (makers of nutrakill), and will not switch because of the vast amounts of kickbacks they get for the continued poisoning of our society.

Stevia will NEVER make it into mainstream sodas because of the conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

I personally can't "prove" it to you through links to the level you want--and my husband's comments were good enough for me. Of course, you have the right to reject what I said because you can't verify his existence. My family and I will continue to avoid anything with BVO. You can drink the heck out of it if you don't feel concerned.

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

So no actual link showing that BVO has this effect - appeals to authority are of not interest to me sorry - just verifiable facts.

I know that's not the way things usually work on ATS, so sorry if it seems strange to you.

See my reply to you directly above this message. I accidentally linked it from my original message rather than yours.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join