It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEW TOPICS Screen Capture. Really!?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+4 more 
posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I appreciate those members who get news to us so fast sometimes it's mind boggling. I mean that. I do appreciate it. But isn't this just a bit too much?

Are we really getting this lax in checking for existing threads? Now understandably, we all miss it now and then. I have. And also, a few of these are only a minute apart. But seriously? Wow.

Still. I have to admit it's nice knowing we will seldom miss breaking news at ATS.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

i counted 10 Kim Jong Il threads within 15 minutes lol was a silly sight to see i must say.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
They dont know about the "search before you post" rule.
Or the common sense rule that uses the "look at your screen before you post" feature.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

I was considering making my own Rant post, "Kim Jong II Dies 9 times in half an hour!"
Like you, I understand the "Someone else posted a minute before I did while I was still typing mine in...", but seriously, I saw less cluster-posting when the NDAA passed, and I think that's a little more critical, don't you?

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I know right! Similar to the OBL postings earlier this year. Everyone was too excited to check, they wanted to be the first... To be honest, I almost was guilty of that too because when I seen the news elsewhere I wasn't looking at the New Topics page and thought; "Wait, no one posted this yet?" Also, I had not read the original thread which isn't titled about his death anyway.
...Think I've seen somewhere it's acceptable to have the same or similar story in different forums that pertain to the topic as long as it's limited to one copy per different forum.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
We need to do something about this flag system. This is just like money, or grades in school. People will do anything for more stars, and completely disregard the quality of the posts of threads that they make. "Oooo, gotta be a gold member"

Seriously, the idea of competition, or being seen as better than everyone else, or more on top of current events than all others has lead to a sharp decline in the quality of ATS. If you're going to make a quality post on ATS, make a damned quality post on ATS. Don't go pandering for stars and flags. Don't try to beat others to the punch with breaking news that you KNOW others have most definitely posted.

Do better people...oh wait, I'm not sure that you all can. Sometimes I wonder if secret societies that control the masses should exists, and then other times I support their agenda and plans for "depopulation". (Kidding...maybe)
Stop acting like greedy sheep. I don't give a damn about your flags or what type of member of this site claims that you are. All I care about is the content of your posts.

Do better.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Yes!! mine is the one at the very top. I posted it only so the whole entire "new topics" section would be complete with the same post and make this picture available :-)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
I admit, I fell into this list..

Initially, when I saw a comment on Twitter, I immediately went to Google and typed in Kim Jong. The first report was 'he was dead' and it was about 53 seconds old and the only one. I then went to ATS and looked at the new topics page and didn't see anything, so I began creating a new 'breaking alternative news' thread. Unfortunately, building that thread takes about 2-3 minutes, so in the process of putting together details, people submit things while you're unaware of it.

I'd have used the search feature, but given the fact that the news was fresh, I couldn't imagine it being posted an hour earlier by someone else or much less not shown on the New Topics area. The original thread which the mods are linking to is a 'pre-official' thread so that explains why so many people are hitting the board 'now' versus an hour ago when that one was posted.

ETA: I see that most of those threads were in the Breaking forums, so that explains why so many people ended up posting within that small window of time.
edit on 12/18/2011 by BeyondPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

its just a way to Keep the MODS on their Toes....

LOL

I would much rather suffer a few well meaning, duplicate, postings,, every now and then,,
and STILL get the truth,, news and views,, hours and even DAYS earlier,, then the Mainstream, news..

thank Gods, Goddesses, and Holy Cows...for ATS...!!

edit on 12/18/11 by darrman because: spellenglish

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   

i was just thinking about saying something about that. on the new topics page when i just got here there was about 6 different story's on there about his passing. wow search button is there for a reason, or even better yet if it just happened look at the fire hose page and just scan it. if you see the topic your are posting on there about 50 time just look through your info you have and see if you can contribute it to a thread that has already been started.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
It's like a Korean sausage party in here tonight!

Kim Dong Yield already!

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Hey! Did you guys know that Kim Jong Il died??
I think I might have to start a thread - you never know, someone might miss the 1st 15.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Fishticon84

They dont know about the "search before you post" rule. [/quote

While I abhor multiple posts, just how long does it take for the system to index new topics? I think a certain amount of leeway could be granted on a hot topic.

BP/GOM ring any bells? Ended up with it's own forum.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by QuantumCypher

I have an idea. Let's see if we can get more threads in protest of the Kim Jong Ill threads than there are actual Kim Kong Ill threads... The way I see it, they have challenged us to a duel. Now how do you feel about that, ladies & gentlemen?

In seriousness how.do you feel knowing you will wake up to yet more repeated threads?

This might be a record.... Wonder what the standings would be on a list like that?

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Sadly i believe your screenshot proves a point...ATS is becoming like the msm.

Reporters Rushing to get a story out for fear of been beaten to the punch shall we say..
ATS members refusing to check existing threads for fear of been beaten to the punch shall we say..

DENY IGNORANCE

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

just how long does it take for the system to index new topics?

As usual, you bring up an interesting point. How long does it take? Still. If nothing shows in a search. The next step is to peruse the fire-hose. I think we're always going to have a few repeat threads. It's just the way it is. But this time just struck me, and prompted me to do a screen capture. Thanks for chiming in.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

The flag and star system is a double edged sword to be sure. I would agree it does prompt hasty threads, and trolling too it would seem. It suffers a lot of abuse. But it has it's benefits. It allows your peers to give you a thumbs up without polluting a thread with "attaboys". It also can help a member improve the quality of their threads and posts.

You're right though. The bottom line is always content. That's why we're here. To learn, to flesh out, and to share views and perspectives on thought provoking topics and content.

edit on 12/19/2011 by Klassified because: reword

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

On the Recent Posts page it is instant.

A bit of due diligence is all that is needed.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klassified
Are we really getting this lax in checking for existing threads? Now understandably, we all miss it now and then. I have. And also, a few of these are only a minute apart. But seriously? Wow.

It's ATS's weird star-and-flag system. People want those stupid "kudos" so desperately that when they see a big news story they all race to ATS to try and get in first so they can rake them in.

posted on Dec, 19 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
maybe the Admins should implement an auto-search function if you post something (auto-check for the headline)...so we would at least do not get this often EXACT double posts and a lot of "normal" double post would be prevented..like you put "kim Jong" and he would automaticly show the newest threads opend with kim jong in the headline...i saw this feature on a lot of warez boards - should be possible and really helpfull =)

<<   2 >>

join