It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Hawking: Alien contact could be risky

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

maybe , lets hope steven will apply himself to the fullest to uncover humanitys origins .
which are not in space , but here on earth . the question only is whether us humans derive from the birds or the rats or the cuttlefish or how exactly the percentage of DNA originating from each species is composed .
we will never know ....
love & light my friends

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Everyone talks about , why would they need our resources ? why not ?

It may not be precious metals they are after, but they may need some basic components that they can't find,or find the right grade of that substance on an other planet or their own world.

Their own world maybe a dead world or gone altogether.

Just for one, our planet is unique in how the pressure and gravity, oxygen water is on this planet which effects the out come of each mineral and how it goes through the many stages it goes through to become that mineral/ metal etc, from top soil to coal to diamonds etc, there is a lot involved from trees, planets carbon matter of all sort to water to mud to oxygen or lack of it, temperature pressure in producing a substance that we take for granted and don't think much about.

We search high and low for different materials or have to try to create some substances in zero gravity that we use in our technologies and what the cost or time involved in production.

Why wouldn't these factors come into play for any civilization no matter how advanced.

It would be easier to cut through all the red tape and collect what they need covertly, why intermingle, they may be on a mission just like we would and they learned, try not to interfere, get what you need and be on your way.

I'am sure there is hostile as well as friendly visitors, one look at man kind can tell you that.

Like the old saying you aren't worth a bullet, so why waste one, we are doing a great job in killing ourselves off, we don't need any help in that department. but could use help to save us from ourselves.

There is good and bad intent from all intelligent species and a basic need for survival.

Lets hope they come in peace and we extent courtesy to them.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
If stephen hawking actually said that Aliens from millions of light years away would want to come here and exploit our resources then he is THE BIGGEST MORON ON THE PLANET, and thank god he is in a chair cause it slows down the spread of his stupidity. To think a race intelligent enough for interstellar travel, inter galactic travel, through millions of light years would travel here to take our oil ? Or things of that nature. DO THEIR SHIPS RUN ON HIGH TEST GASOLINE ? LMFAO

WHAT A Jackass..

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by chrismicha77

I think Steven needs to watch the movie "Independence Day"...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Well, since I have been in the presense of our family in the skies I say Hawkins isn't as brilliant on this subject as you think.

Yes there are Beings that aren't good but it works the same in the Universe as it does on Earth there is good a not so good.......there are also the misunderstood.

Earth is basically protected whether you believe it or not and yes they do use Earth's resources but one thing Humans have to understand Earth doesn't belong to the Human Race we are just another Species of Being on this Planet in all rights this Planet belongs to them they were here long before we the PEOPLE.

The more I think about it when I wrote long ago about making people see the Moons and the Planets are all the wrong sizes for one another I am beginning to believe since I knw the Grey's are within our Moon then the other Moons are also probably home to other Beings within............or to put it plainly massive ships.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
Alien beings that have mastered space travel do not need our resources. They have already tapped into the energy of the universe and hence have no need for our oil. I'm sure that they can create gold or other elements from other abundant elements that they have. It is just a matter of twisting the protons, neutrons and electrons inside the elements to create the new element that you desire.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Well the entertainment media likes to push that these Aliens would want to just wipe us out.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Worldsgonenuts
If stephen hawking actually said that Aliens from millions of light years away would want to come here and exploit our resources then he is THE BIGGEST MORON ON THE PLANET, and thank god he is in a chair cause it slows down the spread of his stupidity. To think a race intelligent enough for interstellar travel, inter galactic travel, through millions of light years would travel here to take our oil ? Or things of that nature. DO THEIR SHIPS RUN ON HIGH TEST GASOLINE ? LMFAO

WHAT A Jackass..

Go ahead then...

Apply for his job at Cambridge.

I'm sure the faculty and staff will immediately recognize your cognitive and academic superiority to Mr. Hawking and hire you on the spot.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by RandalFlagg

Even in Startrek Next Gen the advanced aliens wanted war, there was fighting...etc etc... look at our own history, even though we as human beings have evolved into smarter people, the world has been brought together by the internet and technology...we still want war and fighting...why would 200 or 2000 years of more advancement change human nature. In 2000 years we will probably be fighting aliens, just because we gain higher intelligence does not mean it will be used for peaceful purposes.

You supposed enlightened ones or self proclaimed geniuses need to study up on human nature and how if has not and probably will not change...we will always want more money, the hot blonde or brunette and the red Ferrari... : )

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by BoB420

Considering Hawking's field of expertise is primarily theoretical physics and not biology, I don't think he'll be doing much with trying to figure out the origins of life, DNA, or humanity.

On the other hand, recent research suggests that all life on earth orginated from what is called the last universal common ancestor or LUCA.

Life began with a planetary mega-organism

ONCE upon a time, 3 billion years ago, there lived a single organism called LUCA. It was enormous: a mega-organism like none seen since, it filled the planet's oceans before splitting into three and giving birth to the ancestors of all living things on Earth today.

www.newscientist.com...

Imagine, a literal living ocean...of goo and slime.
I would almost wonder if it had collective intelligence.

Reminds me of Solaris and Lovecraft.

That would be the explanation of where simple lifeforms came from.

The complex forms emerged during the Cambrian Explosion around 530 million years ago and we have no idea what caused that. There are fossils of things from that time that look like things from tales of cosmic horror. Thankfully they were all wiped out in the "Great Dying" around 250 million years ago, when almost all life on earth was wiped out. We don't know what caused that either.

Maybe we won't ever know, or rather shouldn't know. Some knowledge is best left forgotten lest we stir up things that angels dread.

edit on 12/12/11 by MikeboydUS because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I watched this recently and thought you may enjoy it as it's relevant to the OP's statement.

www.youtube.com... (Part 1 of 3)
(If the link fails search for "Curiosity Alien Invasion Are We Ready")

Its a documentary about the likelyhood of an alien invasion, the reasons as to why they would come and how they would most likely "remove" us ... quite revealing - like the most probable reason they would come would not be for resources but for the land. (Our position in the solar system relative to the Sun makes life here ideal).

Enjoy.

Liqua.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nikola014
I think Hawking is working for the government or something.
Like his job is to scare people about upcoming invasion...
I don't know why is he so "scared" of invasion by aliens, when we don't know if aliens even "exist".
We "haven't" found aliens, have we?

Wow. To some people, everything is a conspiracy.

Maybe, just maybe this is a brilliant man speculating on what could possibly happen? Maybe there is no more to it than that? Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa, gotta be a conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
INVASION ?
for?
gold already out there made from other STARZ
water already out there in the Cosmos in frozen large parts or frozens cloud mist like OORT*
Humans for food hmm 1 would think the most advanced could just take any animal parts from Earth and clone husk made of flesh materials on a faster rate then human / animal birth? NOT SURE
MILITARY OUTPOST FOR????? INTERESTING
BREEDING OUTPOST WITH ????? POSSIBLE IF HUMAN GENETICS IS RECEPTIVE TO OTHERS LIKE HOW WAS WHEN *WATCHERS CAME DOWN ECT.
SOUL EXTRACTION OF SOUL LIFE ENERY FORCES MEETING THE FREQUENCY REQUIRMENTS TO ASCEND INTO HIGHER DIMENSIONS WHY OTHER SOULS THAT VIBRATE IN LOWER FREQUENCY ARE NOT EXTRACTED- Felt I should put this out there as well.

So who knows the reason for interactions from 3 dimensional and non 3 dimensional beings with earth beings. they could be here to say ok its time to MATURE and grow up there are responsibilities for you within the cosmos to uphold the games are over..

I guess intime if they send a scout from SOL region shall we know or from SATURN region shall they know..

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
Huge ships ready to colonize! That dose not make any sense and hear I am thinking hawking was a genius.

Why does it not make sense? Obviously Stephen Hawking doesnt believe in free energy, and he is much smarter than you. Free energy does not make sense. Ive read all the posts, watched "thrive". There is no reason to believe "free energy" will ever be practical for large energy needs. Powering a bulb is one thing, powering the world is another.

Originally posted by RandalFlagg
If advanced lifeforms can travel millions of light years to colonize other planets then it would seem they have figured out free energy. With free energy surely they would not run out of resources.

Free energy, even if it became practical and widespread, will never eliminate the need for resources. Oil is needed for lubrication, rare earths for production of electronics, metals for all kinds of things.

Free energy does NOT = no more need for resources.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Numerically speaking, Hawking makes a valid point; however, people are assuming that this planet is inhabitable to alien races. In the same way that 99.9+% of the planets are uninhabitable to us, the odds are that the "aliens" are from such a planet and Earth is uninhabitable to THEM.

Also, if mankind is destined to destroy itself, the capability to do so only occurs during a very short window of his existence; therefore, it is likely that an alien race would have a very short window of opportunity to have a "meet and greet" with us before their likely self-destruction.

Then, on top of that, you have the dimensional part of the equation, not to mention a completely different set of physical laws that seem ever more apparent in different galaxies.

Even after all that, you must ask yourself, "What would mankind do if they discovered gold in abundance on Mars?". Well, we wouldn't likely colonize if we could just send manned, or unmanned, mining ships to the planet to harvest the gold. The gold would have no intrinsic value on Mars. Only when it was brought to earth would it have real value; thus, we can assume a similar rationale with an alien race. So...a mass invasion is very unlikely, but minutely possible...

Anyway, all matter is just energy in another form... If an alien race had the ability to harness enough energy to get here, they probably have the ability to convert the energy into any element they might have need of...physical laws providing, of course...

That all being said, we've come full circle to Hawking's premise that an encounter with aliens would not likely be a good thing. In that, he is probably right. Having already discounted the liklihood of an encounter and the assumed reasons, the only probable reason for alien intervention would be one of racial security...that being theirs...not ours...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Could be something to what he says. Might explain all the T.V. shows dealing with how to survive an alien invasion. I'm sure all have seen or heard about these shows. Not to mention at least 8-10 movies over the past few years dealing with giant motherships & invasions. It has sort of been burned into our minds not to freak the hell out completely when we see such things in the sky.

Their out there, why the hell would they want anything to do with an arogant war mongering species such as us. We mame and kill each other at will. I have allways said they have never found any life on other planets. If they had the USA would allready have sent a damn aid package to them.

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by openyourmind1262

I agree with your post however most people will watch the movies and then act like lunatics running around and shrieking and believing they are in the movie.

There are a lot of people on the planet who cannot discern movies from reality. I believe the cabal/illuminati/whatever actually want to scare the s**t out of people because when people are afraid they are easier to control.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
Stephen Hawking said "God does not exist"

Meaning there is no entity in the Universe effecting mankind on Earth.

Well couldn't the "Alienz" be doing it and be the "Gods"?????

Maybe they just created us to mine the Gold for them. Every 10,000 years or so they decimate us and take all the Gold...leave a few people alive to restart the process of mining the Gold.

There's a massive amount of Gold from human history missing. Nobody knows where it is.

> ... Maybe they just created us to mine the Gold for them AND There's a massive amount of Gold from human history missing.

Like the missing gold at Fort Knox and the supposed gold that was in one of the WTC towers..... What happens though when all the gold on this planet is mined and removed? Do the aliens simlpy move on or do they move after destroying our planet so as to leave no trace of them ever being here?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
I'm not sure about Hawking. I think part of his charm is the fact he talks through a computer. People feel that makes him all-knowing or something.

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join