It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by RandalFlagg
Huge ships ready to colonize! That dose not make any sense and hear I am thinking hawking was a genius.
If advanced lifeforms can travel millions of light years to colonize other planets then it would seem they have figured out free energy. With free energy surely they would not run out of resources.
Originally posted by jjkenobi
For being such a smart guy Hawking sure likes to state the obvious.
- There is probably life out in the universe
- If they can find us and travel to us with their advanced technology yes humanity and the little blue/green rock we live on will be in deep trouble
Our weakness is lesser advanced technology... how do you fix that? It isn't like we're just sitting around thinking "Yep, we've done enough. Time to relax and then die". Scientists are researching new things every second of every day all across the planet. They may not be exactly looking to create a super laser of death to destroy giant spaceships in low earth orbit, but if they did and were successful would you trust military leaders with it?
Originally posted by yourignoranceisbliss
My first impression after reading the headline;
In other news, Scientists discover, sticking your male organ in boiling water may be risky.
Really? Who'da thought?
Originally posted by Pervius
Stephen Hawking said "God does not exist"
Meaning there is no entity in the Universe effecting mankind on Earth.
Well couldn't the "Alienz" be doing it and be the "Gods"?????
Maybe they just created us to mine the Gold for them. Every 10,000 years or so they decimate us and take all the Gold...leave a few people alive to restart the process of mining the Gold.
There's a massive amount of Gold from human history missing. Nobody knows where it is.
Originally posted by dannotz
I think that if there are aliens that are traveling from very very VERY distant star systems the only way they could reasonably travel is via wormhole, or at faster than lightspeed travel, Orrrrr if you really wanna come out on the limb with me, by using their "light body"-astral body- what have you..and to me, the only way a civilization could master that type of travel would be a mastery of the more spiritual side of life.
And if that's true, well then we have nothing to worry about, you don't become spiritual beings by invading other planets and plundering their resources.
I think our scientists think about this all in the wrong way...the think about it from their point of view..which is a wrong POV, b/c well they only know what they know..and they think that's all there is to know! Which is sort of ironic being that they're scientists!
Originally posted by michaelknives52
It is pretty absurd how some people on this thread are calling Hawking an idiot for his THEORY on there possibly being and extra-terrestrial race that would be willing to plunder our planet for resources.
Most of the arguments listed on this thread are really asinine. You guys are basing your arguments of how extra-terrestrial life doesn't exist on human understanding on how the universe works. The majority of what we as humans know about the universe is simply scientific theory. We don't really know how wormholes function. Perhaps an alien species could figure out a method of intergalactic travel through means that we as humans can't even fathom.
However, I would say there is no sense in worrying about our first open encounter with extraterrestrial life because what happens will happen.
- Perhaps a Giant Alien World Ship will consume our planet because it is powered by planetary bodies similar to ours. Even worse perhaps a ginormous world ship arrives in our solar system and it will consume our sun as an energy source
- Perhaps an intelligent Alien species would be so far advanced that they would bother trying to communicate with us because they would view humans as just animals. Also simply because they could travel to various star systems doesn't mean they will have an interstellar translator and a full knowledge of human custom and culture like star trek or something especially if they are discovering human life for the first time.
- Perhaps the alien species will invade the planet but they are only interested inhabiting the oceans of our planet because they are aquatic in nature. It wouldn't really be that hard with advanced tech to inhabit the oceans of the planet ( even with the knowledge of their existence by the earths human government)
- Perhaps our solar system and galaxy is teaming with intelligent life that exist on different dimension planes/frequencies and one race on one of these dimensional planes developed tech to travel between different dimensions. (Basically our so called alien visitors could be from mars 23 or earth 42)
- If you believe in the multiverse theory there is an infinite amount of universes in which any and every possibility or instance has occurred. It would stand to reason that in one of the infinite universes an intelligent species figured out of to freely travel between all of the universes and have the capability of existing out side of all of the possible universes as well as exploiting tech and resources from other resources. Eventually this species will encounter and have an effect on our universe in an infinite amount of ways. --> it gets really complicated.
I highly doubt that a superior INTELLIGENT species would resort to all out war Independence day style with huge world ships blowing up huge chunks of the earth with huge quantum laser beams. Why go through all of that trouble for water rocks and minerals?
If they don't have, humongous resource collecting ships with forcefields that can defend against any human ordinance they could simply nudge a asteroid or something into the earths ocean... create a series of tidal waves to wipe out the majority of the human population. They could perhaps bio-engineer a virus or disease that only effects humanity and wipe us out like that or nudge an asteroid into earths orbit and then comeback and collect the resources.
It's silly to worry about such things happening because at this point in human development we can do absolutely nothing to prevent such an invasion from happening.
We can just hope there is an intergalactic organization of advanced species that has laws set into place that protects developing world's and they have a station on this planet and are monitoring our development and other alien activities in our solar system.
To end my rant concerning Hawking's theory --> IT COULD HAPPEN. But I am not going to build a bunker and stockpile food --> hopefully I will be vaporized in the initial attack because I don't want to live a life on the lamb from human extermination droids or something.