It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is US Minimum Wage really $7.25?

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Manhater

Cool diagrams Manhater, people like drawings and diagrams, and for some strange reason it helps them better understand things.

All's I can say though, on this whole mess is as follows......

Shakespeare once said "to be or not to be, that is the question"....But it's more along the lines of..."To laugh or to cry, that is the real question". And the question is funny..

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Equidae

Thank you for your input and a new outlook on how things in america really work. I agree, it happens alot all over and not just here in mn.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by cloaked4u
FOR A SINGLE PERSON:
$9 hr. =360 a week - federal tax of $50. - state tax $15. - medical $5. = a check of $290. a week, $1160. month.
$10.hr=400 a week- federal tax of $55- state tax $20. - medical $10. = a check of $315. a week, $1260. month.
$11.hr=440 a week- federal tax of $60- state tax $25. - medical $15. = a check of $340. a week, $1360. month.
$12.hr=480 a week- federal tax of $65- state tax $30. - medical $ 20.= a check of $365. a week, $1460. month.
$13.hr=520 a week- federal tax of $70- state tax $35. - medical $25. = a check of $390. a week,$1560. month.
$14.hr=560 a week- federal tax of $75- state tax $40. - medical $30. = a check of $415. a week,$1660. month.
$15.hr=600 a week- federal tax of $80- state tax $45.- medical $35.= a check of $440. a week, $1760. month.
$16.hr=640 a week- federal tax of $85- state tax $50.- medical $40.= a check of $465. a week, $1860. month.
$17.hr=680 a week- federal tax of $90- state tax $55- medical $45= a check of $490. a week, $1960. month.
$18.hr=720 a week- federal tax of $95- state tax $60- medical $50= a check of $515 a week, $2060. month.
$19.hr=760 a week- federal tax of $100- state tax $65- medical $55= a check of $540 a week, $2160. month.
$20.hr=800 a week- federal tax of $105- state tax $70- medical $60= a check of $565. a week,$2260. month.
$21.hr=840 a week- federal tax of $110- state tax $75- medical $65= a check of $590. a week,$2360. month.
$22.hr=880 a week- federal tax of $115- state tax $80- medical $70= a check of $615. a week,$2460. month.

NOW WITH THESE FIGURES IN MIND: and this is very close to actuals even tho they take out more.

For a single person, basic needed living exspenses: Necessities only.

Average rent: $850. a month.
Electric: most rental units do not pay electric and you almost always has an electric stoves. ave. bill=$100 month
Phone: $65 a month.
Gas car to go to work, average 25 miles to work.To fill my tank is $35. and i go thru 2 fills a week.=$70.
Insurance car: $50. a month.
Food: $200. a month.
TOTALS: $1,545. A MONTH. Lets see if the guy making $9 an hour can make it, YOU DECIDE.

$9hr. NOPE
$10hr. NOPE
$11hr. NOPE
$12hr. NOPE
$13hr. YES, BARELY, NOT RECOMMENDED
$14hr. YES, BARELY, NOT RECOMMENDED
$15hr. YES
$16hr. YES
I feel sorry for those that have children. This only makes things worse.
Most places around here hire you thru temp. services, because buisnesses do not want to pay for health insurance on a newbie. Most temp. services around here start you at $9 dollars an hour. More often what happens they don't hire you after your 90 day trial period and you end up quitting or they say that they don't need you anymore. This practice has been going on since the 80's. If you say something about this they get rid of you and say there is no more work to be done and then they go and hire a new temp and start the process all over again. THIS IS THE NEW FACIST ECONOMY WE HAVE HERE.
Most people get one or two roomates, because they cannot afford to live in the apartments. Rent usually goes up from $850 a month for a one bedroom to a two bedroom apartment.
THE BANKS did not take a cut for our recession. That is why the rent on apartments did not go down at all, it only went UP.
The way around here is, it is helpful to have a two or more person system with helping the bills. Laws here say that you can have only 1 person per bedroom under the age of 12. Remember, the more bedrooms the more exspensive it is to pay.

here is how things work here in MN. Terribble
AND healthcare is another issue.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Well, I do know one thing, If they raise the taxes, I won't have a paycheck.

So, What would be the point of even working for that paycheck? Or, even looking forward to even going to work?

To pay your debt?

When I have no debt?

Fault is not on me.

Fault, is on you loose debt people, who use credit cards up the wazoo.

I've done it. I know how easy it is.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Equidae
reply to post by theovermensch

It is pretty pathetic. I have several scholarships and the GI Bill, but tuition is so high that I still have to work so I can afford basic amenities (food, gas, car insurance, etc) I'm a cashier at a big American retail chain. At least a third of the people in my checkout line everyday use some form of government assistance (welfare, food stamps, social security, WIC). That's the only way they can get by. I don't see many of Reagan's 'welfare queens'. I do see lots of people in my line with the basic amenities of life, and then they tell me they can only pay for 'X' amount. So it becomes a haggling of cereal versus diapers versus fruit versus laundry detergent versus school supplies.

These people are often blamed for their health issues such as obesity, heart disease, or diabetes. But if you have a family to feed then you have to stretch your dollar as much as you can. So do you pay extra for healthy food that takes time to prepare and will more than likely leave someone in your household with a less than full or empty stomach? Or do you pay less for the more processed food that will at least ensure everyone gets something to eat? A box of twelve packets of ramen or 4 apples? But somehow it becomes their fault that they don't go for a jog every night after they get back from two or more shifts that have them on their feet for hours doing all manner of crappy or dangerous work?

Several of my coworkers are in a similar predicament. These people aren't lazy by any means, but when you have no bargaining mechanism then it doesn't matter how much you work. Many of those people also work two jobs since companies will do everything they can to keep a worker at part time. That enables them to avoid any obligation beyond a paycheck. So no insurance, no retirement, no bonuses, and so on. It's a step above slavery that keeps people in a holding pattern of just barely getting by, if they can get by at all. As soon as they can't get any more work out of you then you're tossed on your ass, and left to fend for yourself.

I'm fortunate that I'm in a position to be able to attend college, so I won't have to do this for my whole life. But that still leaves millions who for whatever reason are stuck treading water to just barely keep above the poverty line. The 'American Dream' is supposed to guarantee a comfortable (if modest) existence as long as you work hard. Nowadays it doesn't matter how hard you work. Even if you can manage to pay all your bills each month it is no guarantee you'll stay there. An injury, baby, death in the family, disablement, or even retirement can get you hopelessly stuck in a cycle of debt, illness, and poverty that you can almost never escape.

I appreciate you sharing. I remember when the protests in Israel were at their peak there was an interview with an Israeli woman and she was saying that once people starting talking with each other about how tough things were they realised they were not alone.Its like nobody speaks up because you are made to feel like a failure if you do. I think if we all talk to each other and raise issues we will get alot closer to fair sensible solutions. And create opportunity and a world where most of us dont feel trapped in a cycle that we cant escape.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Yeah, talk more, it is a good thing and lets the banksters know that we all know where most are at fault. That is how people grow to prosper is to talk to one another. NOT leave them in the dark to rot, like the banksters do to us.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Choppsmcfame
reply to post by dreamingawake

Funny you say that, I also live in Washington state. Ever hear of Boeing or Microsoft? How about Nintendo? Washington is pretty job wealthy. Try getting a job at Boeing, they start quite a bit above minimum wage. Stick with them for a few years and you will clear 50k easily.

Actually I know one dude I have been friends with who got hired at Boeing not that long ago, who said the job is cake he gets payd like 12 or something to start, and it will go up way over that in time.

And another guy who has been working there for some time and gets paid over 20$ something....And from what they told me the job is easy as hell. # the guy who gets paid 20 something said all he does is sit around drink coffee, type some stuff into the computer machine some stuff once in a while. And trust me even though one is my friend and the other I known for a little, there not the sharpest tools in the shed.

And the airplane business are still booming, not to mention that boeing expanded there contracts, so it should be booming for a time yet to come. But all in all I don't think its the job itself that is hard, there all pretty easy once its said and done, and usually the more they pay the easier it is usually.

And other then certain jobs that take a certain amount of time and practice to put in to be good at. Stuff such as anything involving high skilled sports that takes years of training, or stuff like graphics artist for computer games which takes years of being into to be good at, and other such things. The rest are pretty much automated stuff, or just dealing with people and paperwork.

But all in all, I don't think the Boeing job is hard, getting your foot in the door tough is a whole other matter. I know the guy who works at Boeing and is making over 20$ only got in there because his ex wife worked there and knew somebody else who worked there, and got him in...Most likely her ex, before he became the ex.

And my friend who got hired there recently...Well they are going to need more people because of expanding contracts so he just applied at an opportune time for beginning positions.

Microsoft I have heard is a pretty sweet and easy job and place to work at as well. Nintendo though I would stay away from them and there factories....I know another friend who worked there for half a year, and lets just say he says it ain't worth the gas to get there and back on what they pay in the Nintendo factory's and what you have to put up with and deal with.
He hated that place with a passion.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Next time you pull on your Nike sneakers (made in Indonesia)
spare a thought for the people who actually made them,
After much demonstrating and rioting,
They have just had their minimum wage raised to USD 140 per month.
Yes..... 140 dollars per month.

PEACE,
RK

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Yeah, it really aggravates me that people have to live this way. It's not just retail work, either. I was in the military, and if any of our junior enlisted guys were married and had a kid they pretty much automatically qualified for WIC. WIC stands for Women, Infant, Children. It's similar to food stamps, but it's very specific about what you can buy. That usually falls under milk, cereal, fruit, vegetables, formula, etc. It also only covers so much. It always boggled my mind that even after getting paid a comparatively decent wage, having a dependent stipend, free health care, and free housing that they still needed stuff like WIC. How can you give someone the task of defending your country, but can't pay them enough to buy food for everyone in their family?

I know there are abuses of government assistance, but that doesn't mean you need to punish 9 families for the one person abusing the system. When I talk with my retail coworkers the topic usually ventures into finding work at some point. Whether it's getting that second or third job, or just trying to get moved to full time work. These people are definitely not lazy. They also aren't stupid, and they don't want handouts. They just want a job that will give them a living wage. I would rather be deployed over and over again instead of having this be my career.

My school fees are covered, I get subsidized crappy health care with the Veteran's Administration, I get a small living stipend, and I don't have any dependents. I also live frugally. I use coupons, don't go to the movies, rarely eat out, bicycle in lieu of driving whenever it's feasible. My only 'luxury' expense is having internet in my house. But even then I'm barely making it! I can't fathom how the people I work with do it when they have kids, are pregnant, their spouse loses a job, someone has an illness, etc. Or all the time they have to put into going through all the crazy legal loopholes that being on government assistance requires.

I get mad when people try to insinuate that people on welfare are lazy, or that they somehow chose their circumstances, or that because they didn't go to college for whatever reason that they deserve to be trapped under the poverty threshold.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by darthlung1
I have a cousin in Au that just bought a Holden Manaro with a 400hp V8 for about 7k. that car in the US(pontiac GTO) will run you 14k+. also a 2011 Toyota Yaris base model $14,115US and $14,990Au.

Your figures seem out,a 7 grand monaro in Aus would be a very poor car.

2006 Pontiac GTO - $31,290 in the USA in 07
A Holden Monaro was about $60000 brand new in Australia,thats twice as expensive and it has not been shipped anywere.

A BMW m5 in the USA costs around $90000 brand new.
A BMW m5 in Aus costs $241000 brand new.

I recently had to change the clutch on my car Its a 03 Focus ST170(SVT focus in the US) a rare car in Australia(but a dime a dozen in europe and US),only 125 were imported,anyway knowing that it would be expensive I didn't even bother about ringing Ford and found one on Ebay in the USA which was $529 and $338 shipping

After I got it fitted,curiosity got the better of me and i decided to ring Ford and ask the price.
What a Shock,The whole kit,exacty the same as what i got on ebay was $4700 unfitted,no #,what a Joke,the market value of the car would only be $14000.

edit on 10-12-2011 by Mazedays because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:22 AM
link   
I was a setup tech for a plastic injection molding plant making 21.75 hr. and i loved my job. They went overseas and they got rid of over 450 employees. My payscale went up to 28 an hour. I was making parts for various companies including Microsoft.
NOW, since most of manufacturing went overseas, it is hard to find a job. Also, with the other company's lay offs around mn it even harder. 10,000 layoffs by lockeed martin. That place was bigger than an airport. A large plastic co. in rogers,mn that makes plastic containers for foods in stores laid off over a 1000 people this may. Two other companies nearby also folded, laying off a total of about 520 people. Talk about tough, you got to wait in line to get a job here and that is at the temp. services, because that is how they work it around here. Talk about a pay cut, fu#. I lost my job, i lost my house, and living with my sis. I help her out with bills so she does not loose her house. FU# economy.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Text I get mad when people try to insinuate that people on welfare are lazy, or that they somehow chose their circumstances, or that because they didn't go to college for whatever reason that they deserve to be trapped under the poverty threshold.
reply to post by Equidae

Me too.
We should all be angry.But not angry at the working poor and the unemployed..

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   

Well its all worse than you could imagine because even if they do raise the minimum wage, the cost of everything goes up two weeks later to adjust for it. It's the biggest crock I have ever seen. Something is wrong with this country for sure.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

All the problems. More and more by the day. More and more laws made up that are NO GOOD. The workers, small buisness, reg buisnesses, we all getting F#. A problem with this, a problem with that. THE WHOLE SYSTEM IS FAILING. It is like a leaky rusty old pipe. A crack forms a drip, so someone puts a bucket under. Another leak and another bucket. Each leak is a symptom of a larger problem. I complain, he complains, a bailout here , a bailout there. THE CLOCK IS TICKING FOLKS and one day the old rusty leaky pipe is going to burst. I believe that to many people makin to many problems and not much love to go round, tell me why this is the land of confusion. youtu.bezU9Iv..._WqK6k Low wage,med. wage, big wage.

I care, and maybe you do to. Each of us have different issues. LIKE I SAID, a leak here a leak there. These issues are a symptom of a larger problem. LETS FIX THE PIPE, OR REPLACE THE WHOLE THING.

I do believe you were trying to link this song in there, because all I got was an error.

But ya buckets... water dripping, rusty and leaky pipes not good... lots of leakiness going around...We need a professional plumber or something to fix this mess. We need a real man on the job...We need the legend, the one and only, we need Mario.
If he cant fix this dodo mess then no one can.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

*sigh* .. minimum wage.. let me give you an example:

When I just graduated high school I got a job working security for a company.. pay was $8/hr .. minimum wage was just under $5

Minimum wage rose slowly, a few cents a year if that ..

Then the Depression came and everything was jacked up .. so they, in an attempt to buy votes, raised the minimum wage to .... $8.50

How much does the same job for security pay today? $8.75 Jobs that were once relatively "good" jobs, especially for students .. are minimum wage jobs. And no, it wasn't the companies fault, I ended up doing consulting for several companies and they were all in the same position: They cannot raise their contract prices faster than minimum wage growth.

Another example for us in the middle class: If minimum wage was $5.28 (national average 2006) to an average of $8 in 2012 that is a 66% increase. That means the average cost of ALL consumer items, from dollar menues to plastic # at Walmart .. will rise by 66%, minimally.

In fact, because of the steep rises in Minimum Wage the "real" value of minimum for the first time EVER is the same as the wage. oregonstate.edu...

minimum wages are fine for protecting against slave labor. BUT .. when you use it as a "tool" you create a HUGE upheaval in the economy.. in 2012 our economy has still not grappled with the effects of the new minimum wage laws.. it will probably take about 10 to 20 years before wages begin to fluctuate back to normal levels..

Sometimes.. I wish politicians were forced to take a basic economics course before making stupid laws. And I wish voters had to take basic economics courses before making any irrational vote. You CANNOT force a population into prosperity by artificially inflating wages.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by itsthetooth

Well its all worse than you could imagine because even if they do raise the minimum wage, the cost of everything goes up two weeks later to adjust for it. It's the biggest crock I have ever seen. Something is wrong with this country for sure.

Sounds like Orwells 1984 really.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

I am in Europe but i used to live in the states - but sorry, $200 a month?

That's how much our CATS eat...where are you getting this "food" you talking about?

Let me calculate...$200/month translates to €4.93/day...if i go to the store i RARELY ever pay below €20 (approx $30)...and this is super, super, SUPER cheap groceries!

I don't think the $200/month can cover more than ramen noodles and some necessities like sugar/coffee..so i am really wondering how you estimate $200/food per month....maybe if you have a farm and grow must of the stuff for yourself...

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by mastahunta

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl

You watch a gop debate and hear people cheer at the idea of letting the poor die because they are poor.

NO ONE at these debates cheers at the thought of poor people dying.

"Are You Saying Society Should Let Him Die...?"

Ron Paul is a libertarian and definitely not representative of the other candidates or the republican party (nor are the people cheering for him). That's why they call him "RINO Ron Paul" (Republican In Name Only). It's equivalent to having a communist in the democrat party and calling him and his followers "democrats".
edit on 10-12-2011 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

I am in Europe but i used to live in the states - but sorry, $200 a month?

That's how much our CATS eat...where are you getting this "food" you talking about?

Let me calculate...$200/month translates to €4.93/day...if i go to the store i RARELY ever pay below €20 (approx $30)...and this is super, super, SUPER cheap groceries!

I don't think the $200/month can cover more than ramen noodles and some necessities like sugar/coffee..so i am really wondering how you estimate $200/food per month....maybe if you have a farm and grow must of the stuff for yourself...

yep, 200 a month. YEP ramen noodles and such, like i said, bare necessities to survive. BARE. The taxes are a little higher too. than in my graph. but that is the closest to reality here with me as i can get. It really SU#.
We go to food shelf's also. that's $6.66 a day for 30 days. That buys you here in mn a sm can of tuna $.75, a loaf of generic white bread $3.00,a sm generic brand jar of mayo $2.50 and leaves you with $.41 cents left over. YUMM NUMMY.
edit on 10-12-2011 by cloaked4u because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 01:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch

Text I get mad when people try to insinuate that people on welfare are lazy, or that they somehow chose their circumstances, or that because they didn't go to college for whatever reason that they deserve to be trapped under the poverty threshold.
reply to post by Equidae

Me too.
We should all be angry.But not angry at the working poor and the unemployed..

Exactly. I think most people don't understand how things such as welfare or food stamps work. Being on welfare requires you to sign up for a job list with your local unemployment office. Being offered a job for the most part is based off your ranking on the waiting list. Most of the worker requests are either very low paying, or are only temporary positions. When it's your turn they offer you a job which seems like a good deal, but by taking that job you start over at the bottom of the list when it ends. Even if the job is long term, it often pays poorly.

Take the temp job and starting over when it ends means you might miss out on a decent job offer? Or working long term, but it doesn't pay squat so your income takes a hit. So you lose your unemployment money, and have your food stipends cut or completely taken away. Not taking that job doesn't mean they don't want to work, but means they're thinking realistically. You can't be certain that a month or two from then you will find a replacement source of income. Or you get the job with the horrible pay and no benefits. So you take a hit income-wise, and are in worse of a situation than when you were receiving unemployment.

So what would you do if you had a family to support?

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join