It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is US Minimum Wage really $7.25?

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Curious to know. How much is gas, utilities and a loaf of bread or cigarettes in Australia or the Uk? Thanks

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lovecents
I read the first page of this post and that was about all I could stand. Not because it was a bad post. It just really makes me angry. So am am sorry if this has been covered.

Let's put something into perspective. Albert Pujols just signed with the Anaheim Angels for 10 years at $250,000,000

Lets put this into "normal" people money.

$500,000 / week for 10 years.

$50,000 / week for 100 years.

$5000 / week for 1000 years.

$500 / week for 10,000 years.

$47 / minute for 10 years.

79 cents a second for 10 years.

$7.25 / hour on a 40 hour work week would take around 33 years to make 1 week salary for a baseball player.

Enough money to make 500 people a $50,000 / year job for a year.

Lets say the average beer at a stadium is $7.25. I responsible person taking public transportation and had a 12 pack at a game would spend $87 on beer, about $15 on a couple of hot dogs. They would have to work almost 3 days to just have a good time at a ball game. Let's net even get into the numbers for a football game.

I think you get my point.

I'll take it, and cant say anything against these athletes and actors that get this money for people that are willing to pay it to them.

It just seems just wrong.

I'm a 40 year old man that will probably see no social security at about $1500 / month and will probably end up homeless or living off my kids until I die.

That being said, if I don't die of a heart attack from stress of just being able to maintain rent, utilites, food, clothes, xmas, car payments for 2 kids while making $50,000 in San Diego I will be shocked.

Gotta love where our campaign contributions are going to.

Oh, and most importantly...

I did not even include the price of the tickets.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Minimum wage in Puerto Rico is $7.25. Waiters and such make less.
Don't know what you mean..

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by jacobe001

actually I would do it slightly different....

First the old JC Penny model

The store managers get barely minimum wage... here's the catch.... If your store makes profit... guess what so do you... bonuses..... huge cuts of the amount of sales your team made say on the order of twenty percent...

most paychecks the employees won.... at least till bonuses... the managers in the top stores averaged 60,000 paychecks....

It worked for years before JCP went public initially....

Run the business the same way... the top execs get minimum wage with performance based bonuses only

You encourage this by stating only companies with this model get federal funds...

Also... this part is iffy but you can also play with the tax law and state that bonuses do not count towards pretax deductions for companies not showing a taxable profit to the IRS... If your not making money then you are losing it... therefore your choosing to hide taxable income as bonuses...

if they do they count towards next years earning as expense but the rule applies to this for taxable profits of that year....

lol....

remove the profit motive... if they want the talent they'll pay if not oh well....

so either your company is profitable or it is failing....

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
..yep, it's ridiculous and people we still get taxed on top of it, so knock about a buck off at least. Probably more.
So it's more like 6 dollars an hour.

People will still come in and argue that the rich shouldn't pay more taxes.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cloaked4u

thank you for that good work there, thanks, i too lost my job overseas and i loved that job and alot of it's people i worked with.

I hear ya brother. I really miss my old job. We looked out for one another there....the management and it's workers. It was all team effort.....and on top of that we had good benefits...nice insurance, dental, eye care...retirement options.

But now it's all gone. I found another job a few months later doing the same exact work (I'm printing press operator), wages are lower, insurance is absolutely horrible...massive premiums and horrible coverage, no dental or eyecare.

Everything is being destroyed. God damnit, there are lots of good people out there that are getting absolutely screwed.

It's not right. And stating this, I still know that I'm lucky....millions and millions of Americans are in a far worse position than I am.

That is why i take the positions and stances I do now.....for those who know my history here....i am far different that I used to be.

Fight for those in your own position and those in more dire straights.....seems this country has that reversed and it's time we changed that.

For god's sake, do it for our kids. At least give them a fighting chance.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GogoVicMorrow

actually I know it has been passed over but you make only 5.075 an hour post taxes which comes to 10556 a year....

this is
7.25 x 40 x 52 x .7 = 10556

or 7.25 x .7 = 5.075

the average decuction is 30 to thirty percent take out for garbage...

note and they still cant keep the streets paved
edit on 9-12-2011 by ripcontrol because: trolling for president in 2012... smell from other candidates getting to me

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Illusions are everywhere, I have known and know people who basically sleep in there car, work two or three jobs and still barley make enough to get by...In fact most people living in third world countries in little farming communities and such have more time on there hands, and a more functional and fulfilling life, then many in the first world societies.
And yes even the gadgets they can get if not the latest and shiniest gadgets, more then enough to be entertained.

Here is the truth though, minimum wage is just a set prescribed delusion and deception. And like everything else it's just a control and energy manipulation system of the pyramid. The human element is set in it, and therefor even though things are much more advanced today and you can build all kinds of things and sustain them with much less work and energy required. People still scrape by daily for there subsistence.

What you have there in the land down under is a boom based on supply and demand of the markets and human wants, and even a little bit based on human needs. But mostly china, america, global corporations, and others needs lots of raw resources, and your a prime target for suction out those resources to feed the global machine and fatten the pockets of the elite.

And so I take it Australia gets a lot of distinguished quests lately and all kinds of politicians and great leaders coming there now a days. After all there are fortunes to be made, and all kinds of resources to use up till they are gone...And the most important thing in such an endeavor is to first set up the rules. And that's what politicians and presidents and the laws to be made are for.

But once that boom ends which it will in the years to come, expect the same if not worse things to come down the line. And worse, expect things to dry up down there in the coming years most likely...But fear not you will not be around to see it happening. So it's still some time down the line.

All in all, minimum wage is relative, in fact the theory of relativity applies to it, but unlikely light and time, it can and is manipulated by TPTB, but then again so is light and time only by other forces.
...And it is not what is important that makes more and pays more, but what people think is important.
And off-course mass opinions can be changed and programmed to be what people want them to be. In fact what people argue and talk about now is just that another thing they have been programmed to think and argue about.

Really new frontiers are not required, humanity as a whole is to stupid to even function in the one it has now, spreading to new frontiers and pastures will just once again just temporary put a band aid on the real problem as it limps into those new horizons once again. And like a junkie and addict it will continue and need to always look for those new horizons, all because it never learned to function and work well to begin with in the ones it had.

edit on 9-12-2011 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Matteroni
Thank you for acknowledging us hard working people who still struggle to pay for anything. I work full time and my girlfriend works two jobs (one part one full time) here in the US. We both make minimum wage and live in a tiny 1 bedroom apartment. We can't afford to buy a vehicle even though we spend money strictly on bills and food and necessities. We ride our bikes to work in the rain/cold often and even though it's easy to cry about it, I'm sure there are people who have it worse. It just really sucks to work so hard and watch the greedy owners of these corporations/companies just enjoy having 'the life' who make TONS of money off of paying us minimum wage and drive around in their fancy vehicles not doing any real work. Bleh

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
And yet republicans refuse to cut military spending or raise taxes on the rich....

I could rabble all day

RABBLE RABLLE RABLLE...

The united States is so backwards its not even funny. Unimaginable debt, unimaginable military spending, unbelievable healthcare, wage, and living conditions, and an ever-increasing divide between the haves and the have nots.

Recipe for destruction, if i ever saw one. We will look back on these times twenty years from now just as we look back on the end of Soviet Europe today: as an inevitably doomed society/empire.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Minimum wage is the smallest amount you can make starting out...It is not the average salary wage in this country though.

Also, the US median income is the second highest in the world. (higher than Australias, and much higher than the UKs and most of Europe)

In terms of GDP per capita PPP, the US has a higher GDP per capita than any nation with a populace greater than 10 million. (same as the above, higher than Australias, and most of europe.)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ClydeFrog42

If your a history nut, you know about the hundreds of millions slaughtered by the people in your Avatar, correct?

You simply cannot be a Partisan in either Party and be informed in my opinion. For every bad thing a Republican Politician has done, a Democratic Party Politician has done equally as bad.

Partisans are the most dangerous animals in our country.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Text And so I take it Australia gets a lot of distinguished quests lately and all kinds of politicians and great leaders coming there now a days. After all there are fortunes to be made, and all kinds of resources to use up till they are gone...And the most important thing in such an endeavor is to first set up the rules. And that's what politicians and presidents and the laws to be made are for.
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Yes you are right.Our government recently passed a 'covered bond legislation' which is taxpayer backed bonds. Taxpayer backed bonds are what got europe into trouble. The bankers are trying to infect everyone. Our treasurer was recently convinced by the elites to double our IMF donations. Its all a scam to infect the taxpayer with toxic bonds we never owned.

They want to crash everything and make the taxpayer pay with Austerity and essentially a lose of sovereignty.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rentor
I work 50 hours a week for $7.25 and be treated like a slave because theres no jobs..Still have to live with parents and if I wanna move out need to live with 1 or 2 roommates. After all the taxes and SS,medicare, and etc. paid into. I only make like 250-270ish a week.
Thats crazy for working more then full time. This stinks

I agree.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agarta
reply to post by metaldemon2000

All they need now is to teach robots how to analyze and react based on input and the space race is out of human hands as well.

People watch to many movies, but yes coincidentally in a not so coincidentally at all way. You can pretty much replace humans and even the whole human conscience with machines and a more orderly machine like conscious, even a more streamlined hive mind like the grays and the machines have.

But yes sending spam in a can up in space is really outdated, a robot or cyborg can and will outperform each and every function a human in a suit can do, and much more besides that.

And not only that, but they can even have certain biological functions as well, say like a sort of pregnancy to reproduce...Yes it can all be done given time, the human form can and in time it will be made obsolete. And so it is better to think twice and look both ways before crossing that road. If seen those vids that the Japanese make of there dolls, and each and every year they are getting better and a little more life like with them.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
This thread is so full of fail. Honestly, how many of you have actually taken an economics class? Minimum wage is bad to begin with, but I won't get into economic theory of why.
Now, let's not forget that this is the federal minimum wage! There are also state minimum wages that have to be equal to or higher than the federal minimum.
Let's also keep in mind that just because it's the minimum wage,doesn't make it the average wage. If you check this website, it states that the average wage in the United States is $41,673.83 which is roughly $20.03/hour. Not even close to this $7.25 everyone here thinks Americans make.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
In 1979 the federal minimum wage was 3.10 an hour, I know this well I was working as a teenager them. So today after 32 years it's only reached $ 7.25 an hour. That is a increase of .12 cents per year . I'm glad the OP brought this to light. it's time we vote the politicians out that have 4 years or more. then take the term limits too the public vote. Congress 2 terms, and one term in the Senate. Then they go home.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by theovermensch

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by theovermensch

Text That's why you need to get an education and better yourself. It's called "incentive" so don't bitch about being 35 with 3 kids making minimum wage, mkay?
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Well maybe if you had done a little better in school and if you were a little "smarter" your struggling small business would actually be thriving. Is it really Obams fault that you have failed? Maybe it is your fault because you are not "smarter"

You're funny. The Comedy Store has open mic on Wednesdays.

Let's review:

I graduated college with HONORS. This while taking classes full time and holding down TWO jobs. I could have done better how?

My business was doing great in 2006 and 2007, BEFORE Obama took office.

Maybe my IQ really has nothing to do with it? Ya think?

My friend,it pains me to insult you. I mean no offence and am sorry. But I think we all need to stick together to find solutions. They are dividing us and some are cheering them on. I think the financial crisis is where you could direct more blame than at Obama (Im no Obama fan). But I think we need to take from above,not reduce welfare and remove the middle class. That is their grand plan. And they think they can achieve it by making us squabble amongst ourselves.

Agreed. When people argue with me when I know what I am talking about, it pisses me off.

You dont know what you are talking about.

Anyway,try to work alot harder and I am sure you will turn your business around. You just need to take some responsibility and stop blaming everyone else.

And instead of getting angry when you are wrong maybe you should open your mind.and you might learn more. Maybe then you will blame the right people.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeRpeons

I wish more outsiders like yourself would speak-up and let the people in this country realize that America is not all what they think it is. There are citizens here who are barely making ends meet, but will buy the propaganda that politicians dish out hook line and sinker.

Not only is the minimum wage too low, our health care system is set-up so only the wealthy can get the best treatment. If you're old and need assisted living it even gets worst. Nursing homes cost the elderly over $3,000 dollars a month, and that doesn't include those that need 24 hour assisted care. My mother is currently in a home paying over $130 dollars a day. We've had to sell her home and all her possessions just to pay for it. If she knew she lost her home and how much her kids were paying a day, she would walk out before having us pay another dime.

You can work your whole life here expecting to leave your kids and grand kids a nice little inheritance, except if you live too long and need daily care it wipes out all your assets! If you don't have enough money to pay for the "good nursing homes with great facilities" you have to settle for a urine smelling, shared hospital room where you're expected to lie in bed 24 hours a day! Why should people who are well off, be treated better than those of us who have worked their entire lives on an average salary. Their life isn't worth anymore than the homeless guy on the street! Human dignity and caring for another human being is a basic right that people the world over shouldn't have to worry about.

My family has had our feel of our uncaring healthcare system here. Here's another story that hits home, my sister had to have emergency surgery, but she was laid off. She had no health insurance so the hospital now has a lien on her home and has emptied her savings except for $3,000 dollars to help pay for the cost of the surgery!

Yeah, people in America don't realize how their government, insurance companies, bankers and the corporate elite screw us. They'll just keep on electing these same officials who cater to the people who screw us. If I could star your thread and flag it a hundred times I would.

typo. Don't you mean only the wealthy. Not the healthy.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by MrFake

One my degrees is in economics, I believe Reagan tried what your thinking, It never worked out to well. it was defeated by Corporate America though lobbying efforts. I know minimum wage has always been bad, but it's sad that most people are sold on this concepts by our politicians.

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18  19  20 >>

join