It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is US Minimum Wage really $7.25?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity
reply to post by theovermensch

Oh haven't you heard, we aren't worth that. Hmmm, we are lazy, obese, worthless garbage who apparently won't work at a plethora of jobs that only mexicans will take? You haven't heard?
We are the garbage of the world! /sarcasm
Yep that's what everybody says about America, yep, but when they get invaded or when tehy have other problems, guess whom they ask to bail them out? Yep, the USA. I say we tell them next time to take a flying leap!!!

not trying to be inflamatory but thats the impression your media portrays you as.

You have to remember all we know about you is what your media tells us about you.

So if you have an axe to grind with the way the world sees you as a nation i suggest to take it up with corporate media.

Personally i think as a nation you have a sort of self loathing. the reason you guys eat to epic proportions and buy so much useless crap is subconsciously as a nation you know there is no American dream and you have all been lied to. so you eat and consume to hide from reality and end up pretty much where you are right now.

but thats just me.
edit on 9-12-2011 by TiM3LoRd because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SJE98

I didn't say what I was thinking, did I? I said I wouldn't get into the theory of it. I simply stated some facts.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by metaldemon2000

Its something we need to do Our current course will not evolve us in any way. This economic nonsense will continue until we are in the dark ages again. Its coming. The writing was on the wall years ago. We have the technology to make it happen now.

Lets do it already. Of course the only bad part of this is sci-fi shows and NASA have both made the average person so uninterested in space exploration that most of the planet does t deem it important. Not unless they start making reality TV space shows.

Just think. A bunch of people living in an orbiting space hotel. Like big brother but in space. Lol, I can just see it now. Shows like lunar shore, survivor mars edition, Omicron idol.

Well obviously there are some things NASA ain't telling you about space, in fact there are more then a lot of things NASA themselves don't know about space....But I don't know about your little colonization of space, but it sounds funny, sure why not....Lets do a Jerry Springer show...Only get this...It will be in space.

But I like your survivor mars edition, sounds interesting now if only we can find somebody stupid enough to be on that show and get nasa to agree it should be interesting.

By the way I give the survivor about 40 seconds to survive on mars, a couple of hours or days if he is all teched out, but either way even if the martians agree to it. I am pretty sure it will be a suicide mission.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM

Originally posted by cloaked4u
My beef is housing, lets add to the list shall we and maybe we can get back to prospering.

Housing costs are a direct result of supply/demand. An artificial demand was placed on owner occupied housing by the Clinton administration when they ordered banks to make mortgages to people who could not afford them. The Bush administration tried to reverse this, but thwarted by a democrat congress. The banks tried to rid themselves of this debt they knew was toxic by packaging them up and selling them on the open market for all the suckers to eat. Perhaps it was planned, perhaps not, but it's water under the bridge.

You have it all wrong there.

The Bankster Politicians as well as the Wall Street Banksters are the ones that have been behind everything that has been taking place the last 30 years.

Look at how many Wall Street Cockroaches have infested our government!

Did you know there are also 15 financial lobbyists for every congress member in our goverment.

Furthermore, in 1994, well before this economic crisis we find ourselves in, Brooksley Born tried to regulate derivatives because she saw them as a danger. Guess what? The banksters in charge told her and Summers who is BOSS.

www.pbs.org...

"I walk into Brooksley's office one day; the blood has drained from her face," says Michael Greenberger, a former top official at the CFTC who worked closely with Born. "She's hanging up the telephone; she says to me: 'That was [former Assistant Treasury Secretary] Larry Summers. He says, "You're going to cause the worst financial crisis since the end of World War II."... [He says he has] 13 bankers in his office who informed him of this. Stop, right away. No more.'"

Now what would happen if 13 common American's walked into Summer's office and demanded anything of him?
They would be THROWN out by security, that is, unless your a cockroach bankster. At the same time, a smear campaign was raised against Brooksley in DC at the time, in order to disredit her.

Now, where were these bankster's and their outrage that were forced with a gun to go along with lending to people when this was all signed in?

I'll tell you where they were, they were there smiling along with everyone else there in that room, licking their lips, knowing they would make out big while everyone else pays for it. And this is exactly what is happening.

If your a bankster and bankrupt the country, you get interest free money from the tax payer via treasuries, while gouging everyone else with 10, 20 and 30 percent interest rates. If your some poor smuck that lost your house due to bankster engineered bubble, to bad for you, out on the street you go!

The bankster maggots will be boiling in oil in Hell one day. Noone lives forever.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
There is so much ignorance and misinformation in this thread. Here is a post to end all posts.

Originally posted by ClydeFrog42
And yet republicans refuse to cut military spending or raise taxes on the rich....

Military spending only represents 5% of GDP, and 20% of the overall US budget.

The united States is so backwards its not even funny. Unimaginable debt

The US debt is $15 trillion, (100% of GDP) which is a lot of money. However, the US GDP is also $15 trillion. (26% of the worlds nominal GDP, which has remained that way for roughly the past 40 years)

However, Europe is in MUCH MUCH worse shape debt wise. The UK has an external debt of 400%, Portugal, France, Germany, Spain, etc, all are in much MUCH worse shape debt wise compared to the US....even Australia has a debt to GDP ratio similar to that of the US. Just look at the list below.

en.wikipedia.org...

If you add up all individual EU countries and their external debt, we see that the overall debt burden surpasses USD $30 trillion. And it isn't getting better for the euro countries. For instance, the UK's total external debt is forecast to hit £10 trillion by 2015..(And thats in pounds)
www.telegraph.co.uk...

, unimaginable military spending,

Again, military spending as a % of GDP equates to 5%, which is about 1-2% more than the average for the developed world. Only 20% of the budget is geared towards military spending. You still have 80% of the overall budget that you keep ignoring, why?

unbelievable healthcare,

The issue has always been coverage and expense. Healthcare in the US is actually the best in the world. The US leads in the bio-tech, and nano tech fields. Along with having some of the best medical facilities and doctors in the world.

wage,

The US has one of the worlds highest median incomes...only Switzerland has a higher median income. And in terms of GDP per capita (PPP), the US is higher than, France, Italy, Germany, Great Britain, Australia, and even Canada.
www.gfmag.com...

and living conditions, and an ever-increasing divide between the haves and the have nots.

Actually, the US is ranked 4th in the Human development index. (statistical tie for third with the Netherlands) But only Australia and Norway have a slightly higher HDI.
en.wikipedia.org...

Additionally, every country has a divide between the "haves" and "have nots". This is not unique to the US. It is also much easier to rise up the income ladder in the US than pretty much anywhere else in the world. For instance, the top 1% of income earners in 2000, are not in the top 1% of income earners in 2011.

Recipe for destruction, if i ever saw one. We will look back on these times twenty years from now just as we look back on the end of Soviet Europe today: as an inevitably doomed society/empire.

Horrible comparison. Actually, the US is poised for a "comeback" of sorts. Today, the US is the third largest oil producer in the world, and by 2017, the US is expected to be the largest oil producer in the world. Additionally, the US has more Natural gas than Russia (and will be exporting it to europe in the next few years) and has more oil reserves than Russia and Saudi Arabia in the form of oil shale (which is easily extracted using fractured and horizontal drilling techniques.) Over half of the natural gas used today in the US is from wales that were dug in the past 3 years. As you can see, the US is about to "turn it on". Not to mention the fact that the US is also the Saudi Arabia of coal.

Sources:

New report says U.S. has largest fossil fuel reserves in world

The United States is the world’s third largest oil producer, after Russia and Saudi Arabia. And, Goldman Sachs indicated that it expects the United States to take the top spot as the largest oil producer by 2017.

Additionally, U.S. Shale Gas Weakening Russian, Iranian Petro-Power, Study Finds

Government Report: America's Combined Energy Resources Largest on Earth

edit on 9-12-2011 by xlb40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000

Originally posted by theovermensch
reply to post by Agarta

pretty close to making women obsolete too.
Getting realistic.

What if we all had a robot that we could send to work for us?That would be cool.

Lol women obsolete?? Yeah as long as they don't program the damn things to talk back or nag then sure. Ill be done with real women for sure.

But seriously, some of the main goal of these Japanese robotics experts is to invent sex bots. They aren't afraid to hide this facts. Lets nit forget what kind of strange fetishes were born from their culture. Tentacles anyone?? Lol
edit on 11/12/9 by metaldemon2000 because: (no reason given)

Actually that is the goal, to replace females with more advanced robotic versions. And yes it can be done.
Futurama anyone?.....Don't Date Robots...Brought to you by....the space pope.
"notice the space pope is reptilian"

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xlb40

thats all fancy but still its unsustainable growth.

it would only last 20 years MAX

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
if it is $7.25, its less than the UK's, which is pretty bad as we get paid crap for the work we do. I saw a guy i know, spent 5 years at university, got a really good degree. He now, after 4 years, works with my mother in a shop for UK minimum wage, my mother has a degree as well, shes 52, yet both cant get a better job than in a supermarket.

currently i am at university, and i wonder, should i bother? or should i just give up and move country?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

I read that the Federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. I knew it was low but I think that is crazy.How could you afford to live on that? Here in Australia it is $15.51 an hour.In Australia a 16 year old gets $7.34. And our dollar is worth slightly more than yours. I cannot beleive that adults in a country as prosperous as America are only worth $7.25 an hour. How would you even pay for utilities? There must be people that work fulltime and are on 'food stamps'. Are minimum wage jobs a significant percentage of the workforce?

From the outside looking in America looks like a terrible place to live. I have seen the 'tent cities' and seen how the homeless are treated. And then you see MTV cribs and the stark contrast. Yet you have armies of lunatics wearing patriot costumes screaming for blood because of 'obamacare'. The neocons seem like insane psychopaths. You watch a gop debate and hear people cheer at the idea of letting the poor die because they are poor. And you hear them call for cuts to welfare when the poor in your country are obviously already living like badly-fed animals. Anyway,I digress.

I was thinking that since America has an army of unemployed people that would be willing to work for minimum wage why isnt more stuff produced on US soil? I know people working in Chinese factories are worse off but surley more jobs in manufacturing is possible. You would save some on the fact that products wouldnt need to be imported and you could make up the difference in tarrifs. If grown men will work for $7.25 an hour I think there are solutions.

edit on 9-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

Don't forget that everything in Australia is twice more expensive than in the US, from housing, cars, utility bills, to basic necessities like food and drink.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

Text not trying to be inflamatory but thats the impression your media portrays you as.

I agree. It will be easy for the media to tell us that Americans are lazy and gluttonous just like they have with the Greeks.

I read a story about how anything about 'tent cities' is blocked from msn. The msn put a spin on things trying to fool everyone that things are ok.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I read that the Federal minimum wage is $7.25 an hour. I knew it was low but I think that is crazy.How could you afford to live on that? Here in Australia it is $15.51 an hour.In Australia a 16 year old gets $7.34. And our dollar is worth slightly more than yours. I cannot beleive that adults in a country as prosperous as America are only worth $7.25 an hour. How would you even pay for utilities? There must be people that work fulltime and are on 'food stamps'. Are minimum wage jobs a significant percentage of the workforce?

From the outside looking in America looks like a terrible place to live. I have seen the 'tent cities' and seen how the homeless are treated. And then you see MTV cribs and the stark contrast. Yet you have armies of lunatics wearing patriot costumes screaming for blood because of 'obamacare'. The neocons seem like insane psychopaths. You watch a gop debate and hear people cheer at the idea of letting the poor die because they are poor. And you hear them call for cuts to welfare when the poor in your country are obviously already living like badly-fed animals. Anyway,I digress.

I was thinking that since America has an army of unemployed people that would be willing to work for minimum wage why isnt more stuff produced on US soil? I know people working in Chinese factories are worse off but surley more jobs in manufacturing is possible. You would save some on the fact that products wouldnt need to be imported and you could make up the difference in tarrifs. If grown men will work for $7.25 an hour I think there are solutions.

Question?

If you're minimum wage is that much how come all your jobs haven't moved to China like ours?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd
reply to post by xlb40

thats all fancy but still its unsustainable growth.

it would only last 20 years MAX

What is unsustainable growth? The US is better off than pretty much anyone else in the developed world.

Its also dually noted that you did not even attempt to respond to any of my points in that post. How about addressing the facts instead of ignoring them?
edit on 9-12-2011 by xlb40 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
because in america it is demonized. they brainwashed the feeble populace to root for the wealthy.

NAILED it!!!! If I could star that 1000 times, I would.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by ClydeFrog42

If your a history nut, you know about the hundreds of millions slaughtered by the people in your Avatar, correct?

You simply cannot be a Partisan in either Party and be informed in my opinion. For every bad thing a Republican Politician has done, a Democratic Party Politician has done equally as bad.

Partisans are the most dangerous animals in our country.

I'm well aware of the deaths caused by the imposition of Communism by three (maybe four) of the people in my avatar.

Its a joke. "welcome to the party"... their all wearing party hats, Mao-tse Tung is the DJ... I've got it on the wall in my room and I like it, lighten up!

Partisan politics may be "bad", but they are a fact of life, and have been for as long as American politics have been relevant. At the moment, it is the Republican party that runs on a platform of no tax increases for the rich and corporations, and no cuts in military spending. Can the same be said for Democrats?

Whether or not we have faith in the system itself is an entirely different argument. If you want to have a meaningful argument about the political scene in america, you at least need to pretend to have faith in it for the sake of an argument.

I agree, a Democrat is probably no better or worse then a Republican in the end. I mentioned the Republicans spending platform to highlight that 50% of the political spectrum would maintain a runaway military budget instead of dealing with the debt and unemployment crisis, and of course minimum wage.

How, exactly, am I wrong??
edit on 9-12-2011 by ClydeFrog42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrnotobc

Question?

If you're minimum wage is that much how come all your jobs haven't moved to China like ours?

Yes,its just lucky we have the mining boom happening. I dont know why the US government doesnt take advantage of its resources and open more mines. Drill for more oil.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
yup here inn missouri it is. bigg diff from oregon min,wage.. min wage is 8.50 there

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Thank you for making the post my friend, it is eye opening, not to me per say but hopefully to others. America is not the greatest country to live in these days. I often ask myself if it could be worse and then I slap myself in the face for asking because it can be MUCH worse, the problem is, I AM AN AMERICAN and I wan't what I was taught about what our country was SUPPOSED to be growing up.

I want my freedoms and my rights and right here and now, I have neither. While there are alot of places where I would be worse off, I wasn't born and raised in those places and have no ideals as to how life should be lived there, I was born here and I know exactly what I want out of this country and were along way off.

edit on 9-12-2011 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xlb40

your not better off than Australia from a resource point of view

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
South Africa minimum wage R9.85. That is about $1.22 US. Funny enough that people who earn minimum wage survives here pretty well. Our government supplies free electricity , water ,education and healthcare. Then there is welfare for people with disabilities, HIV, too many children etc. So if you play your cards right, you can work for minimum wage and still have all that money to spend on stuff that is not living expenses. Obviously the middle class pays for the education ,water etc. I would see myself a lower middle class income and I only earn about $9 US an hour. So I guess my point is that income is relative to where you live and how you live. Money doesn't buy happiness, but it helps pay for those who cant.

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrnotobc

Question?

Australias economy is reliant on Chinese demand for raw materials. So really, Australias economy is a service sector for Chinas. However, as China begins to implode from over-investment in property and realestate...Australias economy is going to go through a series of corrections.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join