It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Hurricane Ivan, Not again! UPDATE: He's Back, T.S. Style!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dangermouse
Here's the latest news for those in Jamaica, I feel very sorry for them.

"REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS HAVE INCREASED TO NEAR 150 MPH...240 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

That is awful. I can't imagine what 150 mph winds sound like. Then add darkness from the late hour and most likely, no power; my heart just goes out to the people in Jamaica. Children must be inconsolable at a time like this.

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Just needs 5mph more to be Cat 5...for all intents and purposes, it pretty much is....

posted on Sep, 10 2004 @ 09:22 PM
link   
The last bad 'Cane they had was, I believe, Gilbert wich was only Cat3. I doubt they know what's coming.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 07:09 AM
link   
Hopefully, they'll be in your area soon!

www.miami.com...

(One less thing you'll have to worry about!)

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 07:17 AM
link   
It's on now! 8am advisory/local statement:

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

According to the weather channel, I guess they don't know which way Ivan will go since there are two systems on either side of this storm which will steer it either way in that "cone projection".

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 09:52 AM
link   
mako, thanks for the article, this could be my problem, I have to get on my association case right now and make sure they are aware of this and can do something about it.

Greenstein said Coconut Creek and other cities have been told that FEMA will not pay cities for cleanup unless the debris is collected on a public street. That excludes gated communities and condo complexes.

''These FEMA policies will delay cleanup efforts and negatively impact these communities,'' Greenstein said.

Jamaica is going to need lots of help after this storm, I know there is a large Jamaican population, as well as a West Indian population in general in the U.S. , I hope and pray they will come together and provide the much needed relief for the islands.

as for Ivan, I really hate it when storms slow down.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
So far because the route of the Hurricane after going into the Mexican Gulf probably will impact the Florida panhandle and I live in Albany GA. we are going to be in the path, my husband works part time as supervisor in Home Depot, and right the store has not generators people already are preparing here for the impact, our rives are flooded as now from Francis and all ready GA is getting ready for the possible impact.

Last weekend we have a lot of people staying in our hotels from Florida it was trailers with horses and all kind of animals at the parking in the mall.

We have never seen the mall so full with people before (good for business) now the hotels has been book again for the next few days but the irony is that the Ivan will be catching with the people here in GA.

We are waiting for Ivan to rich the gulf to start planning for impact.

[edit on 11-9-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Here's the latest track'

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Sorry I made a boo-bo on my last post from another thread I apologize for that
so much for copy and paste.

Yes so far the huracan made not be that bad for the south of florida but the keys, it seems is heading home were I live.

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun

Originally posted by TheBandit795
Ivan's tail passed over us last night, and big parts of the island is flooded...

Wow...this is from just the outter edges?!

EOH,

I passed there later that day, and all that water was gone already...
They were just squeezing out the last wet spots...

posted on Sep, 11 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Wow...that was quick - Glad to see things are at least going somewhat better

As for Jamaica....

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Well, it is now looking better for the main part of Florida, but the poor panhandle.....

Just sitting tight on this one as it is still a few days out for us and anything could happen. (Daytona area) People are not taking any chances, even though the models are improving for this area, they are still boarding up, etc. and the stores still have gaping holes on the shelves. But most people seem to be only buying food for day to day, as oppossed to stocking up this time. We have already thrown out everything 2 times (Charley & Frances).

Yesterday parts of my city still without power from Frances were ordered evacuated due to the sewers are a health risk at this point since they haven't been pumping for so long. I was lucky my power had just come back. If Ivan turns this way it will hit before this problem has even been resolved.

All this from an area that really didn't get the brunt of either. I can't imagine this poor state taking anymore, but can't complain myself - all things considered I have been very lucky so far. Hope it doesn't run out.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'm concerned about friends on their boats in Puerto Aventuras, south of Cancun. Does anyone know if the marinas or government has issued warnings for that area? When I lived there, they were very very late in issuing hurricane warnings. In fact when Mitch was coming they didn't even talk about evacuating untill the day before!

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Wow...that was quick - Glad to see things are at least going somewhat better

As for Jamaica....

They had to... There's a gasoline station 50ft to the right of where the picture was taken.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This thing appears to be comming directly my way. At least there is a barrier island in between my home and the ocean. If it comes in as a cat 3 or better I will be homeless by next week heh. I remeber Opal left some houses in the bay near here. Was weird to see houses sitting in the middle of a bay. I mean the entire house blew in !

=/

rc

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I just want to know. Tell us something. We are in the panhandle and I want to be prepared. We are ready sjust need to know where it is gonna hit. Getting frustrated.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Well panama city is on alert and to start making preparations for evacuation and I guess it is going to land on my neck of the woods after all, in Albany and the fint river is on flood leverl as now and we are having rain as it is.

It if by pass cuba that means not weakening and the gulf is saturated with heat and moist is going to feed on that and its already strong this may turn into the storm of the century.

[edit on 12-9-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Well I disagree with all the models. Once it clears the western tip of Cuba if the eye hasn't turned by then it will head straight into the hot water of the Gulf and continue WNW. And will seek the lowest area of barometric pressure.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well today in the local news the authorities are advising people that live in mobile homes to start preparing for possible evacuations. This is in Albany GA.

The volunteer training class was held yesterday for the preparations in case the hurricane comes this way, already 17 shelters are being prepared for the next coming days, so as you can see the city is getting ready.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Anyone see any similiarties here b/w Hurricane Gilbert of 1988 and Hurricane Ivan? Look at the similar positions and dates! Freaky!

This was taken, as the time stamp says, on 9/14/04 of Hurricane Gilbert - one of the strongest hurricanes ever recorded....

Here's Ivan's position today....

[edit on 9/13/2004 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join