It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Over population is a serious issue that must be dealt with.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
One of the most serous threats that we face is over-population, with 7 billion people and counting we are running out of space. I know that there are still many places in the world that are not populated such as most deserts, Antarctica and many regions. But our goal should not be to settle every place possible, but to maintain a population that is sustainable.

Of course the sustainability of our species is not the only issue that comes with over population, we are also taking over the habitat of many species and many of those species such as wolves or coyotes end up being killed because they might show aggression towards humans as a result of fear. That's not fair to them, I don't see a lot of topics about this issue and I think it's important for us to deal with this before it gets out of hand even more.

We tend to only think about ourselves most of the time, but let us not forget that we share this beautiful planet with millions of other living creatures that have as much a right to be here. That's what makes this planet special the diversity of life. Thousands of planets have been discovered and still we haven't found a single one that we are 100% sure that it can support life, and even if we found one it would be light years away and we wouldn't be able to get to it.

That's why I think this threat is a great danger not only to the well being of the planet and other species, but also to ourselves. Now I'm not proposing genocide or the extermination of the human species, but we need to come up with a plan to slow or to bring down the birth rates and implement a policy that allows couples a maximum of 2 children. The last thing that countries need is couples with 5 children running around that they can barely afford to take care of.

I know that when someone brings up "over population" most think NWO and depopulation, but honestly this is a serious issue. We control the population of many species on Earth yet ours is quickly spiraling out of control and out of the range of sustainability.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
the only answer then is to stop pretending we cant,
and to go into space

populate other worlds

xploder

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
what are you talking about the more people there are the more soilent green that can be manufactured to feed the world...duh

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
reply to post by XPLodER

I don't think that is an option with our current level of technology, plus I think we can easily come up with a plan to deal with this. Instead of choosing the difficult approach and the one that makes the least amount of sense.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
There's plenty of room for people, it's that we have a finite amount of resources.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Over population is not the problem. The way the system works is the problem.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Question for the OP
Are you married?
Do you have children of your own?
I think that the problem is ignorance of our impact and blind adherence to tradition.
Where a vegetarian diet would provide for the worlds population many times over the adherence to the meat is required diet (even though its not) means that we as a world population require millions of acres of land to raise cattle.
This is not the only issue I realize but it is a large one that individuals can make a conscious choice to do. Procreating is a genetic imperative. I see your point about responsible parenting re amount of kids that's not going to change until you start educating the young women and men.
It is not for the gov or society to decide how many children a family can have. It (opinion)
It is societies responsibility to share knowledge if they want people to make informed decisions.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Shirak because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
survival of the fittest will take care of it

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Shirak

Not married and I have no desire to have children or to marry.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I would also tend to say that ressources and the way we deal with them are the arlarming problem. People are so selfish these days that they take and consume everything they can without thinking about the future.
They have no regards towards preserving our little big planet.

I still can't get used to it when I see human beings wasting consumable water on the driveway of their house.
And that is just the small picture of a bigger one.
edit on 4-12-2011 by St0rD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Overpopulation of the human species can be handled pretty quickly if we can pass on the genetic pre-disposition to NOT want kids... unfortunately, that's a bit of a catch 22.

I did not want kids. Never had any urge for kids. Still ended up with two step kids and did my best to raise them well.

Still, the idea of 7+ Billion apex predators on this planet is a little disturbing.
edit on 12-4-2011 by rogerstigers because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
There's plenty of room for people, it's that we have a finite amount of resources.

for sure.
you think the governments of the world are not aware of this?
which is why we are on a conspiracy web site, we are paranoid. No, not paranoid. more like aware.

I think the govs have tried several tactics... HIV, Mad cow, H1N1. Of course they have the ace in the hole, we just hope they do not draw it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by muse7

Thank G-d for that!
The attitude you are expressing here is rather frightening towards
your fellow mankind.I agree people should only have as many
children as they can afford and not burden the state to care for them.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
In regards to over-population, I think the FIRST order of business on this topic would be to STOP giving out SEVERAL HUNDRED DOLLARS a month to ILLEGALS who have anchor babies in the U.S.!!!

Anchor baby-making pays HUGE!! Illegals get SEVERAL hundred dollars a month just to lay in bed all day long making babies and watching TV while THE REST OF US have to work 60 hours a week to barely get by.

I believe the number is $700 a month for EACH ANCHOR BABY!!! EACH ONE!! And, the parents never paid a dime in taxes!!

Encouraging such despicable behavior needs to be STOPPED IMMEDIATELY and the birth rates would drop quickly. We the TAX-PAYERS spend several TENS of BILLIONS of dollars a year on this nonsense!!!!

Discourage this behavior, and the birth rates will DROP LIKE A ROCK!!!!!!

Its about time for tax payers to start getting in return what their TAXES are going for in the first place instead of going to these illegal CON-ARTISTS!!!!

edit on 4-12-2011 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

This thread is about over population

We are not discussing the Republican agenda.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by HangTheTraitors

Might also be a good idea to tone down the irrational hate a bit.

Stereotypes are rarely true. Subscribing to them is doing yourself a disservice and solves nothing.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
why would they depop? them kids will all carry iphones have xbox's and bring more $$ to the big people. I do agree with you about being over populated only do to technology. the more we advanced, the more we destroy

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

I don't think it HAS to be that way, per se, but that is the way we are heading, sadly.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
between radiation fucushima microwave etc, chemicals like estrogen mimickers, and vaccines and disease, gmo food..industrialization etc fertility is expected to drop...and it is....

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rogerstigers

you know I wonder if anyone has ever published statistics of how much 1 person destroys the earth from the wood they harvest for homes to oil they use to heat, cool, drive etc. How much resources are used / harvested per 1 person.
edit on 4-12-2011 by SkipperJohn because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join