It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents told to medicate kids with ADHD

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I think for a lot of these children a run and a play outside in the fresh air for a few hours EVERY DAY would work wonders. That just doesn't happen any more. See a bunch of children outside these days and folk think they're either up to something or they're being neglected.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
My belief is that this whole ADHD thing has been blown way out of proportion. Children are naturally hyper and excited by many things because to them it is merely a new experience.

I have raised my kids alone, as a single father who fortunately believes in the "you are what you eat" scenario. Only on very rare occasions, is coming home from one of their late games and/or dance recitals, will we even tease the thought of stopping for any type of fast food. I prefer a home cooked meal around the table with my kiddos. We eat healthy and balanced meals. I love my kitchen, so why not?? Haha!

Hence, my children are focused and do well in school. They are also considered to be extremely well behaved by their teachers, parents of friends, and our extended family. Im not boasting at all, just stating the difference in both nutritional and disciplinary structure. I'll be the first to admit that I really have no clue as to what im doing sometimes as a parent, haha!

My mother was informed that I had ADHD when I was a child. I was 5 at the time. It was 1980 and back then the drug of choice for ADHD treatment was Valium. She opted NOT to have me medicated and for that I am grateful.

Keep in mind that although part of the issue here is big pharm having their way with holding society hostage, and buying out elected to sell such garbage. Another major factor is the parents of the children who are victim in these cases. Parents that would rather ease the responsibilities of parenting by turning their child/children into zombies who would rather stay out of their precious way by playing video games, snacking on crap and not having a care or concern as to why they may feel different then their gut tells them they should.

Its a giant scam! And its extremely sad to see the full potential of so many innocent people being suppressed by greed and laziness.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SmArTbEaTz

[color=dodgerblue]It's too bad that mom can't be on the same page with you. That makes things more difficult than they need to be.

You are doing the right thing though
Keep it up!
edit on 21-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JIMC5499

How to set up lesson plans to indoctrinate your child in the current political views that the union advocates. How you as the teacher knows what is best for the students not the stupid parents. I could go on and on.

Oh but please do because I'm pretty damn pissed right now. Especially about the political views and the view that the parents are stupid...

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
i know what causes adhd !

my son had it but not any more heres why_

if your kid has adhd then dont!! feed them crap !

if you cant grow it in a garden or someone didnt have to kill an animal to get it then do not feed it to your kids.

oven chips chicken nuggets bread beans cookies sugar sweets dont feed your kid # and the adhd will disapear!!! poooof! normal child again .

adhd is a reaction !!! nothing more

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It's Sky News posting a five sentence article designed to wind people up...and it's worked.

Compare the headline...

with the first line in the article...

The National Health and Medical Research Council is considering controversial draft guidelines that could refer parents who fail to medicate their children to child protection authorities.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

ADHD is diagnosed in many ways, but not just one way. Psychiatric and Psychological Review, Speach Review, Blood, Teachers & other professionals help in the diagnosis. No doctor I know will prescribe anything until a thorough review is completed.

ADHD is tough for a child, there constantly attacked with impulses but not they have lost a chemical which blocks most impulses and allows a child to focus. While most would say this is not really a problem, it is scientifically proven there is a problem but only recently known. Sure, ADHD children can grow up normal and excel, but most do not and those suffering from it are usually singled out for no reason other then they are bad.

Fact is their is a chemical problem that is solvable, there are lots of choices to take that minimize the zombie affect of some drugs, it's good each parent does extensive research to see what is best suited to you and your child before you make a decision, seek second opinions of you disagree with your doctor.

Above all though, don't ignore this issue. It will do wonders if you do this right for your child, I know, I lived through it with one. It was a tough road all along the way but after a lot of searching and getting opinions we finally nailed down what we can do.

As for making it law, I have no problem with it. These kinds of issues with children have been ignored too long. This is about quality of life after all, personal feelings aside, if you had this issue you would like to have it resolved and not told your normal when scientifically you are not.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Both me and my younger brother were diagnosed with ADHD. For him, the medication was a godsend; he went from barely passing to solid Bs in one semester. He was hyper and aggressive all the time, and the medication really helped even him out. Now that he's older, it's no big deal, but a lot of people with ADD and ADHD grow out of it.

For me, it just made me have rage fits. It helped me concentrate a little better, sure, but I didn't really have any noticeable change in my grades. And what small social benefits I might have had by being more normal were quickly reversed by the fact that I was kind of a zombie.
edit on 21-11-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RedParrotHead

The fact is all medications can have bad side effects. As a parent you have to consult a trusted pediatrician, get a second opinion, try alternatives, weigh all of the options.

I've done endless hours of research myself...there are numerous ADD/ADHD meds and some of the side effects are not pretty - I agree. Did your research find that a large percentage of kids who truly have ADD/ADHD and go untreated resort to self medicating with illegal drugs and alcohol? Did your research find that a larger percentages of untreated ADD/ADHD fall so far behind their peers that they feel they can never catch up and drop out of school?

If my kid has a broken arm, I'm going to put a cast on it.
If my kid is diabetic I going to give them insulin.
If my kid shows sign of being sycophantic I getting them the proper medication for it.
If my kid has ADD/ADHD I'm treating it the best way I can, if that's medication so be it.

edit on 11/21/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/21/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

Look im sorry about your situation and I meant no disrespect. I can understand what a frustrating situation it must be for you as a parent to go through that.

I was merely showing you some of my findings when it came to drugs that are supposed to help our kids. The point was to illustrate that doctors in GENERAL dont give a crap abut people. We live in a sick and twisted world where the police dont protect us they protect the criminals, Governments dont look out for us they sell us out to the highest bidder and the doctors dont cure us they kills us and poison us for a Dollar.

Its a sad reality but REALITY it is. Might you this doesnt mean all cops are crooks and all public servants are thieves and all doctors killers. But we are talking majority.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Just gets more insane every day!

I had my neice rediagnosed at the age of 18 (in government care), she'd been on heavy ADHD drugs since very young
It turns out she has ASD
link

and doesn't require medication at all, her psychologist didn't like me questioning his reasoning behind the medication, but I persisted. Now she's drug free, thank goodness AND she no longer sees him for anything.

Changing how you deal with people who have ASD is what you need to do, how you manage your interaction with them.
Lifeline who manage the house where she lives took on further study to be able to help her, help herself and it's been a total success, she's independent and happier, all violent outbursts have ceased.
Sufferers of ASD They see things differently and don't understand the myriad of emotions we display on our faces, among other things.
Have a read about ASD it's very interesting.
ADHD my butt!!

Big Pharma days are numbered
Refuse ignorance

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
It's been proven over and over that ADHD is caused from food additives (preservatives, dyes, aspartame, flouride, chlorine, insecticides). If you have a hyper child PLEASE check out this website and research NATURAL ALTERNATIVES for treating ADD, ADHD autism, etc. There's tons of info online and I am speaking from experience of a child who was out of control and was making us all crazy, to a well focused and sweet little boy that we knew was in there somewhere!

The link below ....Natural Alternative DR. FEINGOLD DIET

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by EspyderMan

if you had this issue you would like to have it resolved and not told your normal when scientifically you are not.

If the current state of life is a result of a NORMAL society then im glad im not normal. I havent been diagnosed ADD or ADHD although many people i know think i should be. There is unfortunately no such thing as normal. No matter how much you try to use logic to justify it, from a philosophical point of view there are no 2 people that are alike so how can something be normal behavior.

Neuro psychology aside you need to understand that scientific study is done with the help of grants that are almost always paid for by the company looking to prove its point. That being that your kid is chemically imbalanced and needs to be medicated in order to be normal. Im not saying there isnt a problem with certain disruptive behavior but i think getting to the root of the problem and fixing what causes it as opposed to the symptoms would be the loving and caring thing to do.......Oh but wait there is NO $$ MONEY $$ in a cure is there???? Cant make trillions on the suffering of others if they are not suffering can you?

We can ignore it all day long but its not until we suck it up and admit we dropped the ball and let things get to this level of depravity because we wanted our shiny new cars and houses and that large screen tv that take away food because we work so many hours we dont have time to cook for ourselves that we will be free.

You cant fix what you don't admit is broken.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
It's Sky News posting a five sentence article designed to wind people up...and it's worked.

Compare the headline...

with the first line in the article...

The National Health and Medical Research Council is considering controversial draft guidelines that could refer parents who fail to medicate their children to child protection authorities.

Your living is a fantasy world where the people actually have a right to choose what laws are passed...

Ever hear of a little law called the Carbon tax?? Remember the public out cry when Gillard proposed the IDEA??? And now the law is almost passed.
Thats how its done, they drop the news just to make you think you have choice. But its all an illusion. They will pass this for sure.

Also if you think people shouldn't be "wound UP" over whats being done to them then you are part of the problem and not the solution. Which is sad because your talent is being wasted either intentionally or accidentally to maintain the status quo.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I've been medicated since I was the age of , and ever sense then I've been trying get off of them. finally at the age of 20 I decided that enough was enough, Med's are expensive, and I really don't need them. Take make a story short, I went off of them after almost 2 decades.

A few things that I've learned,
1) I don't have a attention span that I need to do anything
2) I don't have the motivation to do anything that I need.
3) Even after 2 years I'm still trying to get my system balanced.
4) Trying to go through College is a pain in the @ss

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I think a majority of "ADHD" and "bipolar disorder" et al, are personality. There are definitely actual cases of these disorders, but I think the idea that they are the culprit is so prevalent that often times teachers and doctors assume with no real investigation or observation.

I have a friend who is fighting her son's school - a TEACHER first said he must have ADHD, and a doctor backed her up. So now she's being told he will not be allowed to attend if he's not medicated. This is Granite School District in Utah.

What no one seems to want to address in the mainstream medical community is the ongoing and lasting effects psychoactive drugs have on children. These are drugs that can PERMANENTLY change the way the brain functions. I do not believe a single psychoactive drug has been tested for long term effects it would have on a child who began taking it at say, age 5, and continued until reaching adulthood.

The bottom line is my kids aren't science experiments.

So, back to my original though, doctors nowadays are medicating personality. As I said there are legitimate instances, but I think nowadays the medical community is quick to throw a psychoactive drug at a perceived "mood disorder" and if it doesn't work they'll just try another one. People have been high strung, laid back, and everywhere in between throughout history - why the sudden need to "equalize" all of our emotions?

On top of this I think giving kids "mood stabilizers" is prepping them for dependency. Who do you think is going to be more successful and better manage themselves; the person who had a "mood disorder" and learned to control themselves and use it to their advantage, or the person who had a "mood disorder" and learned to cope through drug use and dependency?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
First thing I want to say is that it's no one's business whether you choose to medicate your child or not. My son has ADHD and I knew it from an early age. In pre-school he had difficulty and in kindergarten he was sent to a significantly smaller classroom and is still in significantly smaller classroom. He is a challenge to me and his teachers most of the day everyday but he's an amazing person and worth the trouble lol.

I have cut out much processed foods, HFC, white sugar, white flour, gluten and I try to buy as much organic as I can afford. His diet changes didn't help much. I have tried on meds and off meds, stimulants, non-stimulants. He is 12 now and beginning to show signs of calming, I am hoping by 15 all his brain will catch up with the rest. It's truly a case by case problem and no one should judge or interfere with a parents decisions.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Or is ADD just proof that our brains are evolving to a point where schools are not stimulating these kids enough? My daughters 5th grade teacher couldn't handle her and cried ADD! Well, the meds didn't change her one bit. She's is H.S. now and still struggles but she can fly 100 mph on the computer and when she's focused on something she likes, she excels. IMO, kids are changing and only countries like China have caught on. Here, we work to keep the Pharma companies rich.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Well there you have it folks. Not satisfied with turning our kids into brain dead consumer zombies and minimum wage workers. These sick lunatics want to now force you to poison your own kid.

They are attacking us from every angle. All i can do is laugh as it seems all so surreal.

I wonder who will be making the diagnosis for ADHD? hmm it wouldnt be the therapists who get kick backs from the multi national pharmaceutical companies would it? NO way would would they put their bank balance before their ethics...........

www.skynews.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

First the lobbyists make pizza reclassified as a vegetable now Big pharma lobbyists get the gov to enforce the forced medication of children who don't conform.

So with this issue in mind how do the people address the current corruption affecting their politicians. Protests do not work though they raise awareness. Violence does not work people just get hurt. So what is the answer?
Education. Education of the population to understand. Conscious awareness of the problem and issues. Naming and shaming and personal choice to refuse to support any company involved in corruption practices whatsoever.

Is this a short term solution? No The dumbing down of the masses and new bills being produced right now to control the internet are the true enemies of the people. We have a long journey ahead of us as a collective. It is the selfish and parasitic in nature both at the top and the bottom tiers of wealth which must be addressed. Who are these people? They are your neighbors your colleagues your acquaintances.

Be the positive change the example - the voice in your everyday. Stay positive. When you see someone in a position of power that you know personally confront them about their choice. They may not always listen but then sometimes they will. Changing the collective consciousness attitude towards one of proactive change and confronting corruption may be our only option left.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
If you don't medicate them the article says the matter will be "referred" to the child protective services. So they force you to drug 'em or they take 'em away and then drug 'em? Some "protection".

People mentioned diet as an alternative, Another might be to take away the remote and game controller. TV remote controls teach children instant gratification and insta change of reality from show to show, nullifying any patience to wait for things. Game controllers teach kids to ignore the world around them and get over emotional about nothing. Sounds like ADHD to me. Turn all those electronic baby sitters off and go outside with them. Go for a walk, play catch, turn over rocks.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by maddog99
Or is ADD just proof that our brains are evolving to a point where schools are not stimulating these kids enough? My daughters 5th grade teacher couldn't handle her and cried ADD! Well, the meds didn't change her one bit. She's is H.S. now and still struggles but she can fly 100 mph on the computer and when she's focused on something she likes, she excels. IMO, kids are changing and only countries like China have caught on. Here, we work to keep the Pharma companies rich.

I have to agree with this. I was like that in childhood and still am. I have a loooong attention span for something that interests me but can`t stand being forced through stuff in someone else`s rudimentary way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join