It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Parents told to medicate kids with ADHD

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Parents told to medicate kids with ADHD

www.skynews.com.au

The National Health and Medical Research Council is considering controversial draft guidelines that could refer parents who fail to medicate their children to child protection authorities.

The guidelines were written to address concern over the use of stimulant medication to treat attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and to guide doctors who treat the disorder.
The draft paper says in the short term, 'combined behavioural-pharmacological treatment is most effective' in normalising child behaviour.

Critics are concerned the guidelines could lead Australia to over-medicate its child
(visit the link for the full news article)

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Well there you have it folks. Not satisfied with turning our kids into brain dead consumer zombies and minimum wage workers. These sick lunatics want to now force you to poison your own kid.

They are attacking us from every angle. All i can do is laugh as it seems all so surreal.

I wonder who will be making the diagnosis for ADHD? hmm it wouldnt be the therapists who get kick backs from the multi national pharmaceutical companies would it? NO way would would they put their bank balance before their ethics...........

www.skynews.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

+16 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
[color=mediumorchid]I was advised by my son's speech language pathologist to take him to see a therapist. So, trusting her completely, I did.

She saw my son for all of 15 minutes and wanted to medicate him.

He was barely 3 years old.

We got up and walked out of the office and never went back.

edit on 21-11-2011 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
BETTER GIVE YOUR KID PRESCRIPTION AMPHETAMINES OR ELSE

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
i was just thinking about this yesterday. i have a fairly tough time with a young old boy. he will listen to nothing he is told. tried everything and nothing works with him. i have simply come to the conclusion that the only thing that will work is patience on my part. i was laughing to myself that if he was in the U.S. he would probably be medicated already.

this is the future. if you don't get in line and stay in line. medication time.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=mediumorchid]I was advised by my son's speech language pathologist to take him to see a therapist. So, trusting her completely, I did.

You know its the doctors who are sick in the head for wanting to medicate kids as young as that. We destroy the future just to have extra money today. The short sighted and stupid nature of man never ceases to amaze me.

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I think a lot of parents would find that cutting out sugary drinks, refined carbs and processed foods would help their children a lot more than meds.

Just sayin'
edit on 21-11-2011 by daryllyn because: i can

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This is just wrong on so many levels. The world has done just fine for thousands of years without medicating our children because someone else thinks they need it. What has changed that it is needed now? Oh ya, corporations rule governments, not the people. I almost forgot. If they teach the children they need drugs to regulate themselves at as young an age as possible, they got them hooked for life. Greed and money, what else is new?

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

You know its the doctors who are sick in the head for wanting to medicate kids as young as that. We destroy the future just to have extra money today. The short sighted and stupid nature of man never ceases to amaze me.

[color=mediumorchid]
I agree.

They actually called me to find out why we left and tried to get me to schedule another appointment.

When they asked why I told them that they could medicate my son.... over my dead body. In the end, she hung up on me.

We changed his diet, his schedule and cut out sugars and saw a big difference. He still has bad days, he is still hard to handle sometimes, but I would rather have him be him and not be some drugged up, dim, dulled down version of himself.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   

[color=dodgerblue]I think a lot of parents would find that cutting out sugary drinks, refined carbs and processed foods would help their children a lot more than meds.

Just sayin'

SPOT ON!!!

Look at the junk we call food these days. All the mass produced plastic food with artificial flavor made to look smell and taste like actual food.

Any wonder you can leave a McDonald's cheese burger out for 10 years and it wont grow mold. I mean for Christs sake if mold wont touch it what the hell are we doing eating it???No wonder cancer is at an all time high, no wonder our kids are hyperactive.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Medication, the answer to everything, I wonder what the NHS and big Pharma could possibly gain from this type of general treatment of a Learning difficulty that can be partially cured with exercise and brain training.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
You have the government and the teacher's unions to thank for this. When a child is diagnosed with ADHD, the school can claim more funding from the Federal Government. If this wasn't bad enough, one of the ways that the teacher's unions get around No Child Left Behind is to have as many students diagnosed with "learning disabilities" as possible. In addition to the increased funding (teacher's salaries) there are adjustments made to the school's score because of the number of students with "disabilities". School administrators don't do anything about this because the increased funding means that there is more money for them as well. My wife taught in Public schools for several years before she got a position in a private school. She used to tell me what was discussed at her "continual education" seminars that she was required to attend. If parents knew what was discussed at these "seminars" they would be looking for rope and several tall trees. Instead they are led to believe that this is what's right for their child according to "education professionals". They are led to believe that their child is going to recieve "special attention" and that if they allow this to be done everything will be fine.

link   
There's a perfectly good crack rock waiting to be gobbled up by the sugar-laden ADHD zombies on every street corner in America. No good reason to pay someone to tell you that you're a crack-head and need their form of crack. We can do it all on our own.

Of course, the other alternative would be to check out diet, and get on with life.

**(notice, it's my belief the *majority* of adhd is the result of a poor diet. I'm not trying to say some instances aren't genuine and the result of "bad genes". I'm certain that serious, real cases exist. Apologies to all who have to deal with ADHD first hand, or from their nearest and dearest.)**
edit on 21-11-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by TiM3LoRd

Just sayin'

I mean for Christs sake if mold wont touch it what the hell are we doing eating it???

[color=mediumorchid]
I wish I could give more than one star for that statement.

The problem is that it is a lot easier to go through the drive thru (which I am guilty of, but only occasionally) than it is to go shopping, take the food home, and cook it yourself.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
what rubbish medicating children disgusting ...

Whatever happened to good old-fashioned love, patience and parental guidance ?

Truly sad when society thinks it has to medicate kids instead of letting them be kids...

Would tell them go to hell and take their damn poison.. erm.. medications with them.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

Guess I'm weird, but sitting in a drive through with other cars that are just mindlessly waiting is incredibly disturbing to me. I start thinking of what the implications are for a society where a good chunk of us are too damned lazy to do what's best. It's actually hell for me to stand in the drive thru line.

I'm the guy who glances at the 6 or so cars in the drive through, eyes the empty lines for the register inside, parks in a jiffy, and takes off with the food in my mouth while laughing at the fools who are still in line waiting for their food-like substances.

That's on the rare occasion that I don't make my own uberly-awesome, highly nutritious goodness, from my own damned kitchen!

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

[color=dodgerblue]A man that cooks? Really?

I'm impressed.

I love to cook too. I like to know what's in the food I feed to my kids.

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Forced medication for ADD? That's ridiculous.

But whoever thinks that medicating for ADD/ADHD is wrong in ALL cases needs to get a grip. When your kid starts struggling with work, disrupting other kids to the point that they don't want to sit near him (which leads to them not wanting to be friends) and is continually stressed out because of these things - you just want them to be able to function happily, period.

Two of my three kids have been diagnosed (1 with ADHD, 1 with ADD) with mixed results.

Our pediatrician spent 7 years specializing in ADD and was very good, gave 2 pieces of advice that I think were very important.
1. Does your child have good days and bad days? If yes, then that child does not have ADD/ADHD (true cases never have good days). If no, the child MAY have ADD/ADHD.
2. Even if diagnosed with ADD/ADHD, there's a chance no meds will help.

My older was (mis)diagnosed with ADHD...the boy could not sit still in school, could not focus when around other children at all. We went through all of the alternatives to medication (positive reinforcement, punishing, food allergies, meditation etc.) After months with no success, we decided to start medication...after a year of different meds/doses/combinations and not seeing any drastically positive results, we took him off. Elementary school was a huge challenge with him to get through but as he entered middle school he seemed to settle down and now in High School he's fine...an A-B student with no more attention problems that the typical 14 year old boy.

My middle son was recently diagnosed with ADD (no hyperactivity this time, just couldn't stay focused and never finished school work etc.) and was getting worse, so we tried meds and his teacher immediately saw a change. Finishes all his work, doesn't distract other kids and just seems like his old happy self. The only personality change we noticed is that he doesn't cry at little things anymore, before he's cry if he spilled a drink, or his sister took his toy etc...it's a welcome change.

Anyway - glad we have the choice as parents.
edit on 11/21/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

edit on 11/21/2011 by RedParrotHead because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 21 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
This something that I have been dealing with just until recently...

My daughter is now 6 but as early as 4 I was told she might have a learning disorder because she was not listening to orders, was hiding under chairs and tables when she was suppose to be sitting, and was not eating well. I was also having issues getting her to sleep at night before 10pm! I was referred to take her to a doctor by my childcare provider. When I did they suggested I put her on Aderall rx (time released), so I did. I also started giving her melatonin to help her sleep. My baby turned extremely sensitive and was crying a lot over simple things and started picking at her mouth and finger. I stopped after 2 days. They tried Concerta, which was okay but she got immune to it, so they increased the dosage without even seeing her and talking to me... I was livid... I switched doctors to get a different opinion, but it was more of the same. Medicate with no observation... They put her on Ritalin which I hated, but they said it would stop the picking she had now developed. I couldn't do it so they put her on Intuitv and she she would sleep all day and get nothing done. I stopped that doctor as well and tried to use an herbal solution called attentive child... that didn't work either... I searched for other solutions and asked for a parent teacher conference to discuss what could be done and to see if the school could offer any advice. They suggested a child psychologist, of who sat with my daughter and said she just needs behavioral training... NO MEDICATION and didn't believe in it...

I found my doctor at last...

My daughter is doing great and is getting more and more control of her actions every day...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join