It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Skyrim - First Impression?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
My gtx 260 216 core runs it fine at ultra. I believe the pc / xbox users will eventually get a high res texture pack, not sure if it's already on the ps3 copy like BF3 was.

I tried it out on pc and they lost me immediately. Smooth mouse? Really? you won't let me turn that off?

The game is great, and works well with a gamepad, but if you are a mouse and keyboard gamer, well, I hope you like waving the mouse around like an idiot trying to pick up items. I'll be buying this on ps3 for sure, I can do without ultra high res textures and AA myself, it doesn't change a thing, the game looks amazing on all platforms.

A tutorial would have been nice, but I'm hoping the console version will have some type of information in the manual as just randomly playing in the menus is quite lame.

They have a few things to polish, that is for sure, but I'll be flabbergasted if this doesn't get Game of the Year.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
At first I was like ohh man, this is just Oblivion .2 enhanced. But then after about the second or third storyline plot, I am totally addicted. I know I might get flamed by the serious gamers out there, But I always use the "tilde" key and bring up the console and type "tgm" then type "fov 80" for a better game experience. I personally play rpg's for the stories and side quests and can't stand to break the action by having to cast a heal spell or drink some potion to regain a little health...so I just don't bother with that aspect of the games I play. I like to kick ass and take names...and believe me even on God Mode...there are definitely some challenging places to go...and I am thinking "damn, how could you ever do this cave if you had to bring 100 heal potions or 100 potions of manna" way to hard. And even on God Mode it gets the heart going.

Great game the Main plot quests are well written and very challenging...And I love that you can examine your inventory objects in detail, and that isn't just eye candy, In many of the puzzles in the game you better examine the necessary item for clues to how to solve the puzzle...very creative on their part.

It has my Vote for game of the year for sure....Happy Questing.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

There are some good posts out there about editing the ini file that can address the mouse problem you mentioned.

I did try playing it using my "Saitek" controller and can program any buttons to mimic key strokes...but found it a bit clunky so finally went back to the keys and mouse and am very happy.

But, then again I was never a console player so am more comfortable with the keyboard mouse setup.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

The PC version is a console port, so more problems are expected.

Thing about Elder Scroll games is that they don't come with instructions. That's the whole point. There's no "right" way of doing things in that game, it's a learning experience. The less you know about the game mechanics, the more impressed you'll be when you figure them out.

That's how I feel anyway, then again if you played Oblivion or Morrowing, the same features are present, just refined.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by phishyblankwaters
I tried it out on pc and they lost me immediately. Smooth mouse? Really? you won't let me turn that off?

The game is great, and works well with a gamepad, but if you are a mouse and keyboard gamer, well, I hope you like waving the mouse around like an idiot trying to pick up items. I'll be buying this on ps3 for sure, I can do without ultra high res textures and AA myself, it doesn't change a thing, the game looks amazing on all platforms.

What is this mouse problem you are talking about? Was the game a pirated copy? The pirate copy has bad sound and mouse problems. You have to turn your head, in game, to hear what people are saying.

I have it on pc and it works great. No sound or control issues for me.

Consoles will have worse graphics and slow loads so you may want to rethink buying the console version. Even if the consoles do get a texture pack, pc will get one too and it will look even better.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeSpeaker

I have a legit copy and it had mouse and sound problems, sound can be fixed by using 5.1 instead of stereo. Problem cause seems to be using stereo on realtek onboard sound. Have seen a few different posts on the bethseda forums. Mouse smoothing has always been bad on these recent Bethseda games you can fix it by using an ini tweak.

List of usefull tweaks for Skyrim from PC Gamer Site.

A dragon has just swooped down slid across the floor for about 30ft and killed me

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBar

Well I have had none of those problems. All my settings besides the graphics(ultra) are on default with no issues.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

I guess thats just one of the quirks of pc gaming. So many different hardware configs create so many different problems. I just dont like how the mouse feels with smoothing and acceleration applied so i turn them both off in the config files to get a mouse cursor that moves more like my desktop cursor.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBar

Thats confusing to me. I notice no difference in the mouse between my desktop and the game. Very strange.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I had some problems with the game just dropping to desktop, without an error message or anything. I noticed that this happened when a sound would trigger (like rocks and debris falling from the ceiling). I downloaded the latest driver for my onboard soundcard, and I never crashed again. The driver I had was from 2010

Anyway, this game is very good. It actually reminds me of Gothic 2, if you can believe that. Gothic 2 + Oblivion + Fallout 3 + Morrowind + Fable.

When I say Gothic 2, I mean the "feel" of the atmosphere. Oblivion felt generic. Skyrim feels like you're in a real place. The rocks, the trees, the water, the birds, the snow... all of it seems so lifelike. Watching the videos on YouTube before the game was released, I thought it looked so much like Oblivion. But after playing the game, I can see that the graphics are very much improved. The voiceover work, the way people look, and act. It's all an improvement.

I very much recommend this game, and yet it's worth the 60$ in my opinion, though I did gripe about that before I got addicted to it. But I warn you, this game can get very hard, at times. I have died so many times, I've lost count. The giants will one-shot you, and you will be literally knocked to the moon. I'm not sure what purpose they serve, other than to be grouchy a-holes. And I've run into some conjurers who wipe the floor with me, no matter what strategy I try. Oh, and a lich... I'm not even going to go there. Just run away.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

This should explain what i mean. Taken from a gamespot post by XaosII.

Traditionally, Every time you move your mouse it should move it a constant amount. A 1 inch movement should correspond to (for examples sake) 100 pixel movement. 2 inches should move your cursor 200 pixels. 3 inches at 300 pixels.

Mouse smoothing/acceleration provides a nonlinear movement to the mouse. Taking into considering not just how much the mouse moved but also how fast you moved, it'll increase or decrease the total amount actually moved. Moving 1 inch over, say 1 second, will opnly move you 50 pixels. But moving 1 inch over 100 milliseconds (thats fairly fast) might move you 200 pixels.

So when doing slower movements, your mouse becomes less sensitive allowing for finer movements. When moving your mouse quickly your mouse is more sensitive causing you to move a greater amount over the same distance.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
After passing through Windhelm for the first time I noticed several of my weapons were missing. I'm wondering if this is a glitch or if they were taken when I paid a 1 gold fine for stealing... do the guards take every item you've stolen in the game, just the items in the area, or just the item you were caught stealing?
edit on 15-11-2011 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight21

In oblivion as far as i can remember they took all stolen goods so they probably do the same in skyrim. Best way to counter this is to find a nice place to stash your stolen goods and only carry the stolen stuff you need to use. Take care with the place you stash your stuff as not all containers keep your property. (hint:get 5k gold and be nice to the yarl of whiterun then talk to his aid).
edit on 15-11-2011 by TheBar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBar

I almost have 36000 gold to buy Proudmannor in Solitude. Just need 2000 more and I have the nicest pad.

posted on Nov, 15 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBar

In oblivion as far as i can remember they took all stolen goods so they probably do the same in skyrim. Best way to counter this is to find a nice place to stash your stolen goods and only carry the stolen stuff you need to use. Take care with the place you stash your stuff as not all containers keep your property. (hint:get 5k gold and be nice to the yarl of whiterun then talk to his aid).
edit on 15-11-2011 by TheBar because: (no reason given)

Ahh, dang, that sucks! I had well over a few thousand in gold worth of stolen special weapons. Now I know. I'm assuming they're pretty much gone from the game world forever and there's no way to get them back, save starting a new file?

I lost them all over a stupid pheasant roast.

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   

I think that you can get your stuff back when you go to jail, it would be in a chest near the cells or guard room.
I dont realy know what happens to the stuff they confiscated. Maybe check the towns jails that you got caught at and see if it has a chest near the guards room or main jailers room. To be honest i still need to test some of the stuff in skyrim i'm just going by what happened in Oblivion and even then there's a chance i had mods that chagned stuff and i forgot about.

Best to just test it out, i mean it's not like there is a lack of things to steal

a pheasant roast

edit on 16-11-2011 by TheBar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I am in love with this game. I'm barely 10 hrs in, but it is really a beautiful game. literally. I think that it is what Oblivion should have been. I got bored with Oblivion even after I modded the crap out of it...pc version. This time I went with the PS3 ver. for Skyrim and load times are not bad at all, to me anyways.

The graphics are beautiful, the musical score alone is COMPLETELY AMAZING. I was pleasantly surprised with the new body and face models, I likey.

Just a few things I have noticed so far:

NPC's are better looking and don't drive you insane with the same ol' lines over and over and over.

My first horse seems to be a little fat, lol, thought it was just me...

Love the fact my horse wants to tear a new hole in any enemy that crosses my path and the fact that enemies automatically go for the Horse when attacking...omg.

Dual wield is awesome!

Making any armor or weapon and enchanting is so much easier now. Although the enchanting has me a little confused...

Really love the Fatality Moves when in combat, nice little touch.

No Damn Oblivion Gates Frickin' Popping Up EVERYWHERE you go.

Yeah I think this is a goty....I was planning on getting BF3, totally forgot about Skyrim coming out and saw an ad online and I ran to target and they not only had a few copies left, I got a $10 gift card when I bought it,so it was only $50! Nice little surprise...

Oh one final note...don't kill any chickens roaming around in towns, I was in Riverwood at the beginning and was just screwing around and saw a chicken in the middle of the road, mind you, so I decided to do a little target practice with Spark, BAM, chicken dead, I thought "Haha, stupid chicken!"

Next thing I hear is some guy yelling...I turn around and here comes Uncle who ever and some big ol' cornfed hick and they are whooo pissed! I start backin up fast and I don't want to kill em cause I don't know if I might need them later....

They stomp my little chicken killer behind into the beautifully rendered dirt.

Moral of the story,

if you think about effin up a chicken, don't.

That's somebody else's chicken and they will eff you up...

I think I am going to invest in the Prima Guide, but, OMG it's like 700 pages
Freakin scary!
edit on 16-11-2011 by Springheel Jack because: Side note

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
The game is awesome.. I have been playing it for a week now. I am a dark elf assassin, who is Dragon born. LOL.. The graphics are great, I have the ps3 version, its decent it does chaff from time to time, fps stutter, etc. etc. if you can look past that its good.. Just discovered I am the listener for the DB, I am in the theives guild. I think the combat system is a little clunky, the horse in the game, is stupid as well. For the most part its a decent game, if you can look past some dull mechanics, in the game, that hopefully get polished in patches, you'll be swallowed up in a game for hours, of not days of gameplay.

on a scale of 1-10 10 being best 1 being worst, I would give Skyrim, about a 8

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
I been playing this game since release for ps3 and it's really starting to make me mad, the game itself is fine I love it actually but these slowdowns/memory leaks/framerate problems or whatever you want to call them are killing me!!! Sometimes it will slow down and almost come to a stop for 10 mins and I have to reboot my whole system just to get normal speeds back.... They already announced they are working on this with a patch but still in the meantime I'm just a little angry

posted on Nov, 17 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

suppot pc gaming

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join