It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you support drug testing to get approval to be on Welfare?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Yea, I support that idea but truly think all give away programs should be axed.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Hawking

does the CIA not run the drug cartell's

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
Just get rid of welfare and problem solved.

Lots of problems will be solved. Like thinning out the herd of lazy waste of space people.

Those that have legitimate problems that does not allow them to effectively work can still be assisted. But the lazy asses we will never miss.

If you do not work, you do not eat. Plain and simple. Be a productive part of society or check out.

How about the parent's that have too many kids and don't make enough from minimum wage to support their large families?
You will always have people "milking" the system, "lazy" people receiving welfare and another "Van Wilder" living in a school campus.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Why stop there. If you're going to drug test the poorest people so they can get assistance, The richest people should be tested in order to get all the tax breaks they enjoy. Quid Pro Quo. If it's good for one it's good for everyone. Hell, Congress should be drug tested on a regular basis too. I guarantee not all of them are flying straight. Hell lets drug test everyone and deport the ones that don't pass. If people want to put things into their own bodies then let them. The government should have no say in the matter.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   
As a conservative person who is largely in favor of cutting welfare, NO.

Violating the fourth amendment is no way to deal with the out of control costs in the welfare system.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vardoger
Absolutely. My tax money IS NOT going to someone to help feed their habit.

2nd

Everyone should be entitled to their fair share if they require the help in times of need, including you. What you spend it on though is your business. If you'd rather buy drugs instead of food, oh well, now you are going to starve unless you get a hand out. If they start (which they already have) telling people what they can & can't spend their own (by qualifying for it or earning it) money on, then the sky is the limit once that can of worms is opened.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld

That comes down to personal responsibility, which people will have to learn the hard way.
If people can't keep their clothes on and not recognize the responsibilities of having sex then they must suffer the consequences. In no way is it the federal governments responsibility to care for other peoples lack of thinking before acting.

For those individuals, and the humanitarians out there that feel as if they need to take care of someone elses screw ups then let that happen on the local level within that persons community. I am tired of people making their problem my problem.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

You know... for such a right-winger, you sure know how to garner my respect sometimes.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by OUTofSTEPwithTHEworld

I think accountability is generally a good thing.

Sooner or later we all reap what we sow . . . at least in large measure.

Giving kids an ENTITLEMENT mentality PLUS the idea that there are no consequences to bad beahavior

is TOTALLY DESTRUCTIVE TO SOCIETY, FAMILIES AND INDIVIDUALS

just as hell and the globalist oligarchy intended such to be.

There should be some provision to take care of kids in such situations. However, it seems to me that kids should not be in homes where there's chronic drug abuse anyway.

And, as Draconian as it is . . . if there were a reversable birth control implant that was not destructive to health . . . I'd largely be in favor of that, as well . . . particularly with multiple kids, drug abuse, welfare combinations.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Drug testing? no..... Treating it like unemployment? Yes! Make them prove they need to be on welfare because they cannot find a job but are actively trying to find one, or make insufficient funds to support their family but still support them in some fashion. It should not be the only source of income, but a supplement. It's not a paycheck; it's temporary to help you back on your feet.

When I was a child, my mother was on it for a short time. She had lost her job, recently divorced from my deadbeat father, and she had no choice. I remember how embarrassed she was! She ended up getting 2 jobs, and put herself through college. She worked her arse off!!! She did not want to end up needing it. we no longer needed it within a year.
THAT is how is should work. She was able to get off of it, and support our family no problem. Too bad not everyone has that kind of tenacity or morals.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

The idea of drug testing folks for welfare doesn't make any sense to me.

The programs that started in Florida cost millions of dollars, and in the end, only for about 1 or 2% of welfare recipients.

Look, I have SEEN, personally, many instances of people using their EBT cards for alcohol. I have also seen shops running the EBT card through and giving the person cash in return. The store gets the money either way from the state.

There are PLENTY of ways we could reform and cut the abuse and fraud in welfare without violating the individual rights of the people.

I understand right-wingers aversion to welfare and the propensity for abuse, but illegal searches(which is what this drug test scheme amounts to) is not at all how it should be handled and conservatives who support this kind of policy while giving lipservice to the Constitution simply piss me off.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by nopeitwasntme
Drug testing? no..... Treating it like unemployment? Yes! Make them prove they need to be on welfare because they cannot find a job but are actively trying to find one, or make insufficient funds to support their family but still support them in some fashion. It should not be the only source of income, but a supplement. It's not a paycheck; it's temporary to help you back on your feet.

When I was a child, my mother was on it for a short time. She had lost her job, recently divorced from my deadbeat father, and she had no choice. I remember how embarrassed she was! She ended up getting 2 jobs, and put herself through college. She worked her arse off!!! She did not want to end up needing it. we no longer needed it within a year.
THAT is how is should work. She was able to get off of it, and support our family no problem. Too bad not everyone has that kind of tenacity or morals.

similar thing happened in my family, mother couldn't stand being on that help but she had no choice till she got back on her fee. A lot of people i know are on this help AND are capable of working but choose not to.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
i think that they should drug test the people on welfare because they will get there food stamps and trade it for cash and use the cash to buy their drugs, its not fair to the people who pay into it as well as the people who really need it! they are abusing the system and wasting tax dollars to support their bad habits...

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Yes. For awhile I was in the furniture rental business that advertised no credit checks for those wanting to rent to own. This business model took advantage of and targeted those on welfare or SSI. Its a goldmine to the renters that send out merchandise over and over again to people that can't get credit and charge full price for damaged or used goods and harass them when they are a day late and have no qualms about repo'ing the merchandise the same day.

A lot of deliveries to these government subsidized dwellings were an eye opener to me. They were driving better vehicles than the guys working to deliver their big screen TV's, bedroom, living room sets, etc and were obnoxious and rude for the most part. Very few were nice and accommodating for the opportunity to have something they couldn't go out and buy.

What was frustrating was all of the adults around during the middle of the day doing basically nothing but visiting or having a good time on our dime. Some places were dumps and some were much better than I could afford working a normal job. The most frustrating was the harassment of the dead beats and the threat of losing your job if you didn't get the "stuff" back, only to rent to them again the following week after repo'ing and going through their abuse and rants of being the "man".

Why can't I sit on my behind and have a big screen TV and a decent vehicle?

This is a personal and everyday nightmare experience back then that turned me off about the OWS mantra of today and their entitlements philosophy.

edit on 10-11-2011 by dcmb1409 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by hittem002
i think that they should drug test the people on welfare because they will get there food stamps and trade it for cash and use the cash to buy their drugs, its not fair to the people who pay into it as well as the people who really need it! they are abusing the system and wasting tax dollars to support their bad habits...

How does drug testing prevent fraud like this exactly?

It doesn't.

First of all there are plenty of seedy store owners out there who are more than willing to trade the entire allowance amount on their EBT cards for cash because they get the money anyway. They aren't losing anything in the process.

Secondly, drug testing isn't fail proof. Beating a drug test is remarkably easy and anyone determined to commit that kind of fraud instead of working an honest days work will have no trouble passing a urine test, a mouth swab, or a blood test.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Just letting you know OP, this was tried in Florida, and 96% passed. It is now under a halt because of the possible violation of the 4th amendment.

Nearly 1,600 welfare applicants have refused to take the test since testing began in mid July, but they aren’t required to say why. Thirty-two applicants failed the test, and more than 7,000 have passed, according to the Department of Children and Families. The majority of positives were for marijuana. Read more: www.miamiherald.com...

Its also debatable whether it saves money, (which is what it really boils down to)

The state paid about $1,140 for the 38 negative tests, while saving less than $240 a month by denying benefits over the two positive tests.

colorlines.c om

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by juveous

Could you show me in the Constitution where it says:

The government shall take care of people, pay their bills, wipe their ass, etc etc, when the person is lazy and simply does not want to work and want everything handed to them.
edit on 10-11-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I will come out in full and unqualified support of drug testing those on the Government Dole just as soon as those OTHER people on the Gov Dole are tested right along side them. Political Office Holders, Police, Fire and Teachers to name a few.....

They LOVE enforcing these drug laws and testing rules on everyone else, but will scream bloody murder and protest in the street before they'll tolerate even hearing TALK about being tested themselves.

When or if these hypocrites are willing to step right up and pee next to the welfare mom to prove they aren't spending THEIR tax dollar paychecks on things they shouldn't be...then we're all good.

Until then, I can't say where they can take their tests or what they can do with them. ATS T&C just doesn't allow such language in a family environment.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Oh man this is a great idea, maybe we can get the govt. to drug test people for drivers licences and to use public rest rooms while were at it.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
No I don't believe that the state has a right to know your business!

What would be next - anybody with a criminal record should not receive welfare?

Hell with it, lets just all put cameras in our homes so we can be watched - I'm not breaking any laws so only criminals would worry about it

edit on 10-11-2011 by freethinker123 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join