It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Paterno fired as football coach at Penn State

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Well you fail at analogies as well then,

If you feel the need to go vigilante, have at it.

But don't fault others because they would not take the same view as you choose to do.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

Really man? An employee told his boss to shove it and there was nothing the boss could do. How does that employee not have more power than the boss? Furthermore, when that employee did get fired, riots started.

I AM talking outside of the realm of football here, you just refuse to listen.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by de Thor

We're starting to get away from our original debate: whether or not JoePa was the face of PSU.

Joe Pa was the face for PSU. This thread was never about Joe being the face for the the entire University.
I think it is well established that Joe Pa was the draw to PSU. No brain surgery needed.

The entire debate rests with one person and one person alone... Jerry Sandusky.
I would like to see your backing that Joe Pa had more influence over the entire board? Can you support your claims?
edit on 11/10/2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
reply to post by de Thor

We're starting to get away from our original debate: whether or not JoePa was the face of PSU.

Joe Pa was the face for PSU. This thread was never about Joe being the face for the the entire University.
I think it is well established that Joe Pa was the draw to PSU. No brain surgery needed.

The entire debate rests with one person and one person alone... Jerry Sandusky.

Sorry, I should have stated it was a debate between me and another poster on here. I agree that is not what this whole thread is about.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

When you put your bar exam results up for us to check out, I'll put some credence to your take on the law, doesn't appear that that you even know how to read, so I guess I'll not stay up late waiting for the Internet lawyer to post it. Maybe you can put your time to better use for NAMBLA.

GNAfCS

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Okay. SO let's suppose that he could have done more.

You all say that he could have called the police himself . . . it was his moral obligation, after all.

Correct?

Failing to report the crime to the police is a crime in and of itself.

Correct?

So . . . . where are the failure to report charges?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by de Thor

I was here at the start, my faux paux for interrupting, was out for my dart league.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

Sorry.. I am not a prostitute . . . err . . . lawyer.

But I can read and understand it pretty well.

Going through the Abuse laws in PA, I found

§ 6312. Persons permitted to report suspected child abuse.
In addition to those persons and officials required to report
suspected child abuse, any person may make such a report if that
person has reasonable cause to suspect that a child is an abused
child.

So you are indeed correct.

Congratulations to you.

Too bad your victory celebration will be short lived, as this opens a new line of . . . discussion.

Riddle me this . . .

Paterno had the moral obligation to report to police. Failure to report to police is a misdemeanor, so he also has the legal obligation.

If he was not charged with failure to report to police, that means he has fulfilled his legal obligation of reporting to police . . . which would also mean the moral obligation has been fulfilled, since the action required is the same.

So . . .

edit on 11/10/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger
reply to post by de Thor

I would like to see your backing that Joe Pa had more influence over the entire board? Can you support your claims?

The simple fact that they couldn't get rid of him for fear of repercussions, impressions gathered from talking with PSU alumni and numerous articles/stories stating that he had more influence than any person at PSU. If you're looking for concrete facts like transcripts from meetings where JoePa defied the board, I have none.
edit on 10-11-2011 by de Thor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Here is my psychic prediction about this Penn State University sex scandal: It has only just begun. Once the news that boys were being pimped out to rich donors comes out, this is going to get even more ugly. That rumor has recently surfaced. For all we know, Joe Paterno was involved himself. It seems that every boy orphanage in America - and maybe everywhere - ends up getting corrupted with sexual deviants. Apparently men in power can't control their sexual desires amongst the vulnerable. It must be a psychological problem of some sort.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
People confuse legal requirements with ethics. Regardless of whether legal requirements were met, Paterno's actions were unethical.

It's sad so many people think his actions were ok just because they feel he didn't break any laws. Those students who rioted have no ethical core values.

A person could have prevented children from being molested and have gotten children help who were abused. If Paterno truly felt sorry for the children, he would have made a public apology and then retired.

I see too many people in this world willing to cover-up horrible acts just because they think someone is a "good guy".

edit on November 10th 2011 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

edit on November 10th 2011 by Daughter2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by corsair00
Here is my psychic prediction about this Penn State University sex scandal: It has only just begun. Once the news that boys were being pimped out to rich donors comes out, this is going to get even more ugly. That rumor has recently surfaced. For all we know, Joe Paterno was involved himself. It seems that every boy orphanage in America - and maybe everywhere - ends up getting corrupted with sexual deviants. Apparently men in power can't control their sexual desires amongst the vulnerable. It must be a psychological problem of some sort.

It's a cycle that has continued for years and years. SO, those who have been abused - often abuse.
People in power and people not in power do the abusing. It's a civilization that needs some serious healing.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
First of all, I am glad that the victims may finally get to see some justice for what happened to them. I hope they all get some closure and live the rest of their lives in peace.

I hope Sandusky spends the rest of his life in jail, and eternity in the deepest pit of hell for this. He took advantage of the trust these kids had in him for his own disgusting perversions. Part of me hopes that he will get bear hugged from behind by a guy with an erection while in the prison shower.

McQueary is not far above him on the scumbag scale. How do you justify watching a 10 year old kid getting butt raped by a guy in his 50's, and not intervene immediately. Not only that, but you don't even report it until the next day. Being scared of reprisal is not even close to being an excuse. You beat the hell out of the guy, then you call the authorities immediately. This guy being allowed to coach on Saturday really tells me something about the character of the people making decisions there.

Paterno is at fault here too. He may have done everything that the law required him do do, but he failed miserably as a role model, leader, and as a human being. 409 wins can't shield him from that. A man with his power and influence at PSU could have done a hell of a lot more than pass it along. He said himself that he could have done more. For that reason, I support the decision to fire him.

This whole thing reeks of conspiracy and cover up. As time goes on it might get a lot more disgusting.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Well said. I respect and love JoePa probably more than anyone here, but even I can see he had a severe lapse in judgement.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Daughter2

Paterno had the moral obligation to report to police. Failure to report to police is a misdemeanor, so he also has the legal obligation.

If he was not charged with failure to report to police, that means he fulfilled his legal obligation of reporting to police . . . which would also mean the moral obligation has been fulfilled, since the action required is the same.

What else do you think he should have done?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

By your logic, since Sandusky wasn't charged in the 1998 investigation, he didn't do anything wrong.

Not being charged with a crime does not equate with innocence, it simply means that no charges were filed.

Here's an analogy fer ya: You blow through a stop sign, your friend the policeman sees you do it, pulls you over....but doesn't write you a ticket. You still broke the law, but you think that it didn't even happen, eh?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
This thread should have been ended from the start. Can anyone tell me what Joe Pa has been charged with?
This isn't Florida State or Florida. Anyone? He was fired for what reason? Amazing how our Constitution has failed.
Look at the coaching staff and see who will still be coaching this weekend, the original guy who started this and did nothing to stop it, besides telling Joe Pa.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
How is this 'alternative' news. Is it a conspiracy? Is he an alien? I don't get it.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

If he was not charged with failure to report to police, that means he has fulfilled his legal obligation of reporting to police . . . which would also mean the moral obligation has been fulfilled, since the action required is the same.

Wow! What poor reasoning!

First, not being charged with a crime does NOT mean you are not guilty. There are tons of reasons why guilty people are never charged. Statute of limitations, politics, available witnesses.

Second, Legal obligation IS NOT the same as moral obligations. Lots of disgusting stuff is legal. Is that how you judge ethical behavior - if it's legal its ok? If it is, that's sad and scary.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Reply to post by de Thor

No its not outside the realm of football at all. See Joepa is an icon. A lot of people would back Joepa if he was forced to resign simply because they felt he was there too long, and he fought it. This would result in the university losing money and make people lose respect for the university. The board of trustees would not like that idea. And so they bite the bullet and let him stay simply for financial and publicity reasons. Cost vs benefits. I mean if they really wanted him gone they could have gotten rid of him but the mess that would ensue would not be worth it. Still waiting on that example.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join