It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Joe Paterno fired as football coach at Penn State

page: 23
<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

We're starting to get away from our original debate: whether or not JoePa was the face of PSU.

Considering the use of him as a scapegoat, the riots in the streets after his firing, the fact that he could tell the board of trustees to shove it when they asked for his resignation (think about who is on the board of trustees for a second...), talking with alumni of PSU about JoePa and his influence, and all of the media attention being centered around JoePa, I can confidently say that JoePa was the face of PSU and had more power inside the university than anyone, including President Spanier.
edit on 10-11-2011 by de Thor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

CHAPTER 63 - CHILD PROTECTIVE SERVICES"

. . .

c) Staff members of institutions, etc.--Whenever a person is required to
report under subsection (b) in the capacity as a member of the staff of a
medical or other public or private institution, school, facility or agency,
that person shall immediately notify the person in charge of the institution,
school, facility or agency or the designated agent of the person in charge.
Upon notification, the person in charge or the designated agent, if any, shall
assume the responsibility and have the legal obligation to report or cause a
report to be made in accordance with section 6313. This chapter does not
require more than one report from any such institution, school, facility or
agency.

There is your law. The educator SHALL notify the person in charge, or the designated agent, and the person in charge (or designated agent) has full responsibility and obligation to make the report.

More than one report is not needed.

So about that vigilante thing . . .
edit on 11/10/2011 by Lemon.Fresh because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Reply to post by butcherguy

Ok again, people love him, but he has no real power within the university outside the realm of football.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Leo Strauss

Why should 120+ football players be punished for someone else's wrongdoings? These kids are out there trying to make a case for the NFL every weekend.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
Jesus christ, you people cannot even understand how simple university politics work....no wonder the world is in such bad shape. Smh.....

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy
. . .

Paterno says he knew Sandusky raped a little boy, told him not to do it again

. . .

Source?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Utter failure.
I asked you to cite a law that would prevent Joe from reporting felonious acts to the police.

That law that you threw up does not do that.

Think, just for a moment , a law that prevents a person from reporting to the police knowledge of a felony being committed?

WTH would such a law exist?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by relpobre000

To illustrate the seriousness of the crimes and allow the students and faculty and citizens a moment to grieve and recover from the shock of these crimes. To get our priorities in order. To provide leadership to young persons and teach that certain things rise above playing a football game. In short give a space of time for the community to heal. There may still be criminals on the sidelines for all we know.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

As far as the vigilante thing goes......

If you watched my son being raped, and did not make certain that the guy was at least questioned by the police, and I found out that you knew.... And failed to help my son, then you would learn about my vigilance.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Utter reading comprehension failure.

The law specifically says that he is to report abuse to his superior, the superior reports to the authorities, and not to file more than one report (i.e. not more than one person reporting)

l2read

GG

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by acmpnsfal

I don't think we're on the same page at all. JoePa's power was abstract... still very powerful.

I guess you could equate JoePa to the royal family in England and Spanier to parliament (sorry, i'm really struggling to find a good example.) The royal family in England doesn't have very much "official" power... but they still have influence. While parliament has the official word, the royal family has the influence and power to make something happen.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Paterno did not watch the boy get raped

FFS dude.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
To illustrate the seriousness of the crimes and allow the students and faculty and citizens a moment to grieve and recover from the shock of these crimes. To get our priorities in order. To provide leadership to young persons and teach that certain things rise above playing a football game. In short give a space of time for the community to heal. There may still be criminals on the sidelines for all we know.

So it's really a matter of moral grandstanding? One thing can be said for sure: These football players are above reproach in this whole situation. Their future career shouldn't be put in jeopardy to prove prove a point.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

You need to read a bit better. It says more than one report is Not needed, it doesn't say that multiple reports are not allowed to be filed!

More important it does not specifically deny anyone the right to report knowledge of a felony.

edit on 10-11-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-11-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Reply to post by de Thor

Find me one example of Joe using his influence in a way that nulified the official power of the university.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Paterno did not watch the boy get raped

FFS dude.
I didn't say that he did. I alluded to what Would happen if you did, my son was also not involved in the Paterno story,didn't you feel a need to tell me that too?

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by acmpnsfal
Reply to post by de Thor

Find me one example of Joe using his influence in a way that nulified the official power of the university.

How about when they told him to resign? Because JoePa had more power (from the backing of boosters, fans, etc.) he was able to tell the board of trustees to shove it and there was nothing they could do about it. Consider for a second who is on the board of trustees.

I have a feeling its YOU who doesn't understand these politics. Do you realize how much influence athletic programs, especially football, have at major universities? The riots over JoePa's firing is evidence of this.
edit on 10-11-2011 by de Thor because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy

NVM

I get what you are saying.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Reply to post by de Thor

-_- Why are we back here again. Did I not say he has no power outside the realm of football. Try again.

posted on Nov, 10 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
We get it. He did the minimum required by law. No citations required.

However, most would expect that Joe Paterno would have done more. Apparently even Joe Paterno wishes he would have done more. Joe Paterno is a heroic icon and part of his legend is his devotion to young people and making the world a better place. How could such a man stay silent in the face of these crimes?

Before this happened if someone had asked me what Joe Paterno would do if children were being raped at Penn State. I would have guessed he would have stopped it by any means necessary! I would have thought he would have moved mountains! I would not believe it possible he would just file the bare minimum report and move on. That is another reason this story is so unbearably sad.

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh

Utter reading comprehension failure.

The law specifically says that he is to report abuse to his superior, the superior reports to the authorities, and not to file more than one report (i.e. not more than one person reporting)

l2read

GG

top topics

<< 20  21  22    24  25  26 >>

join