It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

YU55 Closer Than JPL Indicates?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Cytra

I don't think you need to be reported, your post is normal ATS stuff. But, is there anything wrong with someone who is a calming presence? Even you admit you don't understand the science, and guess what? Neither do I - it's not my specialty. But as conspiracies go it's nice to have a voice of reason in the mix. I think Phage does that well. I think TomServo has an interesting thread going here - and if you really want to have fun with the conspiracy aspect look at my earlier posts in this thread... here's the nutshell of it and it's all sourced in other posts:

An army MP is arrested by the FBI for telling him mom "the world is going to end" because he talking about a massive disaster drill planned for Nov. 9 and that troops are sneaking back into the US through Alaska for this drill. World leaders are all together, starting today through the 9th, on Hawaii - a virtual safe zone with high mountains and a massive military presence. Now, TomServo's thread saying that the JPL calculations are off - whereby us conspiracy folks add some conjecture and YU55 could now hit Earth (the OP doesn't say this).

No doubt, this thread with all its components makes for one hell of an interesting conspiracy theory. We'll know tomorrow too, whether it's true or not, which is a bonus. (I hope its not true).
edit on 7-11-2011 by Jason88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
reply to post by Phage

Newton's First Law. The bump indicates a disturbance.

Newton's first law applies to inertial reference frames. This is not it. Earth's gravity must have an effect on the trajectory.

The relative velocity between the 2 will not be constant. But the incremental distance between the 2 as a function of time will be linear (relatively for the time frame defined).

What is "incremental distance"? How is it different from "distance"?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

Don't forget that on top of all that the fith element is playing on syfy.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by TomServo
I maintain that the relative velocity between the two (closing rate) never changes, therefore there is a constant Trend in the distance between the two over time.

This is wrong. There are many ways to prove it, starting with a simple sketch on paper. You can also recall hearing Doppler-shifted sound of an ambulance siren or a train, where the frequency DOES NOT REMAIN CONSTANT, as would have been the case in you were right.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by deadeyedick

Still, 3000 miles is NOT a factor. Do you think we can see it from the DC area?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

It will pass then do a u-turn and hit Earth on 11 11 11 at 11:11:11 UTC
reply to post by Burgo1010

A U turn? You sure it won't be a figure eight?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
People I think we all know what is coming..
Take precautions you can never have enough water and non perishables.

Remaining Calm, especially if you have Children, is of great importance! to all of society!

The good news is, If this does happen, America is prepared.

We would fair better than any other country in the entire world.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthinfact

Sure, we all know how we passed the Katrina test with flying colors!

link   
just something I noticed...

Looking at the bottom chart , all "Upcoming close approaches" have a minimum and maximum size estimation.
YU55 has a single number...400M

Me thinks they've really been watching this one closely and analyzing the hell out of it ! lol

Just sayin'
neo.jpl.nasa.gov...
edit on 7-11-2011 by ujustneverknow because: adding link to chart

link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by truthinfact

Sure, we all know how we passed the Katrina test with flying colors!
Ya thats a hard fact

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Cue an incoming CME...magnetosphere sheilds down and bingo bango....Falls to earth like a dead satellite!

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by ujustneverknow

Note to all, take tomorrow off work and get away from the coasts.. One gamble worth taking.. If I am wrong send me your bill post 11/11/11 and I will pay that days wages..

Unless you are a banker.. that would take a lifetime..

and also this is important www.youtube.com...
edit on 7-11-2011 by mockrock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
So a hypothetical scenario, were it to hit.. how bad would it be? Potential casualties? Long term effects?

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I say NUKE THAT PUPPY!!!! NUKE IT NOW!!!! THROW EVERY MOTHER LOVING THING WE HAVE AT IT! - SHow that thing who's boss! Who's yer Daddy Now Yu55! lol. And then have a Barbeque!

It's just another galactic terd shot out of the waste system of the universe. So where does that mean we are? Thats right - "in the crapper" - so expect more terds on the way.

On a more serious note, I don't believe it has sufficient mass to hurt us badly and I really don't see it hitting us at all. But hey, who knows maybe the next one!
Wake up people and smell the coffee! We need decent/ viable space technologies! ** Out there is where mankinds future is - if we're going to have one at all. **

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Well, regardless if they really feel their calculations are accurate (and I believe they do, and also believe they are pretty spot-on), I still think these drills have been timed in coordination with this flyby as a "just in case" scenario. A national drill that has NEVER occured before, for a system that wasn't even used for 9/11 or Pearl Harbor, tested on the day the thing passes our moon? And a large tsunami drill involving 11 countries?

If we knew nothing about this asteroid, many would have jumped to a conclusion that these two tests on the same day were planned for a purpose... it was no cooincidence. And I don't think they are. I still think they feel this is a perfectly "safe" event.. but not safe enough to not warrant taking some precautionary measures, feeble as they may seem in light of something that large hitting our planet.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by wrkn4livn

The only thing i can think of to give perspective on that would be that geosynchronous orbit around earth is about 26000 mi. Any closer and gravity starts to pull.

At the least 3000 mi would have some effect on it's path.
If we really spent all that money on space defense stopping this one would be worthy.

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
I just read a blog on universetoday.com that assures everyone that it will not hit the earth or the moon and to stop listening to the fear mongers !! Who do You believe ?????

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by storm2012
That's really interesting and lot of thinking put into it, I am also an engineer
. All I can say is well lets hope your not right or were all doomed. What bugs me is how can astronomers figure out the orbit of a comet or a asteroid so many light years away, like how??? I know they have instrumentation to do so, but still when I think about, this things are so many millions of miles away, how can they figure out the orbit and make a chart based on it, I mean where do they get this much accurate info, I believe, they are hiding a source from the human population, only some know, and some will never know.

??? You are an engineer and you say this? WOW I am no curious as to what you design or build or where you got your degree. Sure it is deeper math but you must have done formulas for mass, velocity etc to become an engineer?
1st Kepler calculated orbital bodies in the 17th century almost 400 years ago but
2nd NASA is not always accurate but each observation allows them get more precise.
3rd Hiding what source??? MATHMATICS? An amatuer can calculate an orbit form observations...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by abeverage

He thinks these asteroids are light years away...

posted on Nov, 7 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It isn't if we'll get hit...just when will it happen again.

Absolutely right. It's just a matter of time before something big hits us. The only 100% way to be sure our species survive is if we have colonies on the moon or Mars.

Given past human populations, a colony size of 1,000 to 2,000 could repopulate the earth if the worst happened. The worst being something bigger than Mount Everest hitting us.

But nooooo, we would rather give trillions to banksters than ensure our own species survival.

Nuking it won't work, you'll just end up with smaller pieces still hitting the earth. This could even be worse (ref. Shoemaker–Levy) as you would have multiple impacts.

So, we do nothing. We are going to be just as dumb as the dinosaurs. Actually, I think we're dumber because we know how to survive it but aren't going to.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join