It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Paul wants to phase out federal student loans.

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by StarPeace
Not surprising at all.
People who WANT to succeed in life have to wonder is those possible legal drugs that so many think Ron Paul is for, worth not being able to go to/pay for college?

Yep Thanks Mr. Paul you are done! Sit down next to home school everyone Michele Bachmann.
edit on 23-10-2011 by StarPeace because: (no reason given)

This entire post is a disaster. Doesn't make any sense for one; I don't see what drugs being legalized has to deal with whether or not the government should dish out loans for over inflated tuitions & college degrees that end up being useless. Feel free to read the many post in this thread describing why Pauls' position is valid and entirely logical; the question is can you read?

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
There is this place called the library and it's free.

You didn't mean you were actually after an education in academics?

Oh I get it, this is about buying a product (diploma) so that you can get a good job.

I wouldn't mind helping others get educated but, this isn't about education now is it?
It's about $$$.

What a farce.

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by xstealth

I have been programming computers before anybody ever heard of Operating systems I did DOS programming I am damn smart but no one will hire me for a simple Administrator job which is comparitively easier for anybod than programming (programming is really the most difficult thing in computers if you ask me)...the difference you may ask? I am a woman... see it may work for a "MAN" you guys got your little "MAN CLUBS" you know your "pat the old buddy boy on the back" S$$$....us women can barely get jobs with the degree and the certs AND the experience, because of the good ol' BOYS club... Even today as a woman you have to work 110% harder, Get 110% better on any schooling in comparison to the GUYS...and beleive me, I know I am telling you as I have seen many men do such as you say, I have yet seen one woman be able to do it herself that same route, they had to take the courses get that degree and get those certs and they had to do BETTER than the guys in all those areas just to be CONSIDERED For the job!!!!

posted on Oct, 23 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ogbert
i understand how many of you feel, having as Ron Paul stated, only knowing big government and accepting this as the norm. It has not always been this way.

In the forties my mother pretty much put my father all the way through medical school., when most women did not work. He had a job as a bellhop. But, he made it, because they found a way. My father's father had offered to pay for my dad's education--if he became an engineer. But, he did not want to be an engineer. My mother's father would have paid for it, had they asked. But, instead they went it alone. This is true freedom, being able to pursue your career without government, banks, or wealthy parents. Think about it. When the government became involved, tuition skyrocketed.

If people can not pay huge tuitions, by borrowing money, then the schools will have meet these conditions. When the dust settles, in Ron Paul's America you may just have a chance to become educated without being indebted up to your ears for many years. Ron Paul even stated in the interview that he had worked himself through college; and, I feel that he sincerely believes that it can be this way for everyone.

Whenever, the government makes funds easily available, it creates a boom in whatever industry the funds were designed for. For, example the housing boom. When everyone has ez access to money to purchase, then the prices go up. Eventually, we have to pay for the artificial stimulus in a bust, because the boom only lasts as long as people have the money to feed it. Had there never been ez money, prices would have remained more stable, which is Ron Paul's point.

I was surprised to see that many deans in America's universities make well over $800,000 per year, not to mention what the school presidents and so on make.

"A scholar who cherishes the love of comfort is not fit to be deemed a scholar."
Lao Tzu

Oh god someone on here is making some sense.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Not everyone can actually pick up a book and learn something. Very rarely can anyone learn something as well from a book as they can from a teacher or professor.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
U guys are missing the point. It's the student loans that are running up the cost. If you cut the student loans than the schools are force to lower the tuition fee.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by amfirst

No the employers couldn't have any part of it though either?
Why should anyone need a degree for cooking? Why when someone can knock the socks off anybody who's ever tasted their food can't they get a job doing that without a degree? I agree these loans are part of the problem the other half is employers with MEN nepetism (Sexist racist, etc hiring practices) and stupidity from requisites for these degrees? You don't think the employers play a MAJOR role in inflating the cost by demanding these stupid degrees?
edit on 24-10-2011 by ldyserenity because: punctuation

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by amfirst

Everyone also said that when gas prices went up, the popularity of SUVs would go down. Did they become less popular?

If the government pulls out of funding high education prices, the private sector (bankers) will pull in, and become our new lifetime debt keepers. No one is going to stop going to college, they'll just pay even more. That's why people are so willing to acquire debt right now, they've had it drilled into their heads that college equals success. Ron Paul is just another puppet. Stop looking at his claims, and start looking at what his actions are going to cause. Just because he says everything is going to be all better, doesn't mean it will.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

Where's your proof of these mythical people that suck the system dry?

I hope you're not knocking people who work full-time and take part-time college courses. That's not easy to do and it can take years just to finish up college.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

No, people just had to pay more money for gas. It wasn't a big enough dent that is was actually noticeable, this is a strong economy after all. It's just the people who couldn't afford nice gas guzzling SUVs in the first place that suffer.

Since when did Ron Paul say everything was going to be "all better"? Everything I've heard from him has been along the lines of "oh #, let's do something before its all #ed up".

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by amfirst

If the government pulls out of funding high education prices, the private sector (bankers) will pull in, and become our new lifetime debt keepers.

They aren't pretty much trying that already?

You realize the extent that our government is involved with good ol cash money.

My own damn mother can't afford her own education, shes being billed beyond her means for her productivity to our society, how does that make any sort of progressive sense for any nation?
edit on 24-10-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

Yes I do realize that. Which is why he's pushing this so called "solution", that's going to make his friends even more rich than they already are.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

What exactly do you mean by "solution", your talking about his plan to significantly cut government spending? Like he said that is not a bad idea considering our situation, I believe anyways.

All in all, I fully believe in his idea of reinstating liberal (oh hell if I can ever use that word anymore) values and a free market, which instead of producing stagnation and a bunch of people with nothing to do, should produce a flourishing economy like it has done in the past.

There is no competition in anything anymore, its all bought out and we are exposed to dumb concepts like planned obsolescence and other "business smart" schemes. That's a whole new set of issues that will have to be dealt with in our generation.

We have a board game called monopoly, but we don't even realize what the idea means when its in our faces.
edit on 24-10-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
I see and hear the same things over and over and yes, I have been a victim of the mentality myself:

The need for a college education to secure a good job.

But think about it for a second. Doctor, Lawyer, Engineer...yes, those need some seriously structured study in order to do the job well.

But degrees in Art, Literature, Music, Writing, Business, IT, etc.? No, not at all. The reason most people fail to secure the level of income they desire is due to herd mentality. If you wanted to open a business such as a bait shop near a public lake or a small dinner type of restaurant do you need a MBA or a BA in hotel/restaurant management in order to open it? No, all you need is some capital and some business licenses. In order to succeed you will some intelligence, experience, hard work and a bit of luck.

When applying for a job, you have to sell yourself as a commodity worth purchasing to the employer. If their sole criteria for employment is the possession of a college degree, then it is not a company that you will be happy working for due to their lack of vision. That company is not hiring you to provide difficult answers, they are hiring you perform tasks within the company guidelines (upper management) with the ability to point out cost savings.

Case and point, I was denied a $45K to start job at a business for lack of a degree. The interviewers even stopped my interview when I answered off the cuff of how they could improve their operation. The question was geared for an internal hire. The job was managing laptops for salesmen that traveled nationwide. My answer required a couple qualifying questions to be answered first: How many laptops were to be in service? 35-40. Have the laptops already been purchased or the final bid submitted? That one baffled them. I stated because I would like to have 3-5 extra ones setup in house that I could overnight in the event that the problem was hardware related or was a software glitch that needed hands on to correct. By being able to overnight the laptops to the salesman in say Dallas for example, I can have him back to work the next morning rather than losing a week in traveling back and forth.

That answer was quickly determined to have the potential to save them far more money than the cost of the extras if they were never used and was implemented to their project. The people that gave the interview decided then and there that the job was mine. Just because I answered beyond their project managers ability to think ahead and was profited minded to boot. Upper management took the idea but declined to hire for lack of a degree. It took two weeks of me trying to contact her to get an answer on the hire because the lady didn't want to tell me the bad news and she was upset because she was ready to hire me and couldn't. In fact she flat out said I had the job when she walked me out after the interview. Which is how I know all this.

Again, one would think that for the cost of a degree, people would be more inclined to innovate an area of business rather than follow the crowd. But that again is part of the herd mentality, do the common thing that is successful for everyone else and hope that the consumer choses you. Usually by heavy advertising. ----That is also known as reinventing the wheel. That also explains why we are 1/10 of the way through the 21st century and still don't have the flying cars that we were supposed to have by now.

A college degree for a better employment is corporatism. All --ism is group thought. But I guess that is the difference in the goal for a college degree versus a college education.

My two cents anyway...the Department of Education says that I would owe 3 cents on that and will confiscate my Federal Tax refunds until such time as it is paid or a collection agency takes over the debt and negotiates a lower settlement.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:50 AM
link   
You people who are angry at this let me clue you in on something.

Ron Paul wants to cut anything that Federal Government does that The Government is not expressly granted the authority for in the Constitution - especially those programs that fail and cause more problems than they are worth.

That's Sound Politics and Sound judgment. That is what politicians should have been doing all this time because they are supposed to uphold the Constitution.

Paul is not saying you should not get an education, he's saying it's not the Governments job to loan the money especially when it's a failed program. And he is 100% correct by the Constitution.

Students should be able to get loans via other sources as it should be. So when someone wants to stop the corruption in Government and you get caught in the middle you suddenly want that corruption to continue? In effect that's what you are saying. It's selfish.

This isn't likely to happen anytime soon so if I were you I'd study some history and political science. Study why school tuition is so high and learn to do something about that. Search out other means to make money to pay for your tuition. Students by and large are a huge drain on the system. Schools are not cheap and most people never pay back those loans in full. It's a two edged sword. The cost is too high and no one can pay it so it gets higher. It's not your fault the system is like that but YOU do not have to contribute to the problem. If you insist in contributing to the problem you have no one else to blame.

It's silly to get an expensive education in a time when there are no jobs and the economy has gone to hell. You wont be able to pay those loans off ever and you know it. Be practical , quit school and learn a trade and open a small business then grow that business. You will get father in America with that now than you will with that education that promises no jobs and you will be going more to help your country the right way.
edit on 24-10-2011 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
If you hand everyone who wants to go to college 1000 dollars a semester of free money, colleges will inflate the cost of an education by exactly 1000 dollars a semester.

Just as with medical care today, the cost of a college education is inflated because government subsidizes the entire system with tax money.

Anyone who thinks college tuition would remain at these obscene levels if the State ceased to subsidize college loans needs to get their heads examined. Colleges would slash tuition costs overnight if Paul got his way.

Ron Paul is trying to save college students from a life of debt slavery.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Is he going to END The stupid "Affirmative Action" BS??? Because I'd love to see them end that crap, even though I am a woman, well, it really doesn't make no difference for me, since I am white and well, they can kill two birds with one stone if they go to hire a minority woman over me, which has happened in just about every job I have had, I was one of two white women working as a cashier in Wal mart, I was the only white woman working at 7-11, and last interview I had (now mind you all their employees are women, it's after all a Victoria's Secret) I and a black woman with oh one job in her life and fresh out of High school interviewed with me, guess who is working there now, guess what she is the only black woman there in that store, guarantee she got the job because they didn't have enough minorities. It could not be her experience as I beat her by about 15 years of experience even being so much as trained for management in retail! I would love him to get rid of that POS that is NOT explicitly guaranteed from the constitution!

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

That will never happen. We can't do anything to a minority, but we can certainly stick it to the middle class people in this country, just a little bit more.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
I agree.

Cut the loan program...with the caveat that we increase grants, scholarships, and reduce tuition to reasonable levels.

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I don't understand what Americans have against universal education. I believe a good education should be offered even to those who can't afford it. In Australia you have the HECS system which allows you to repay you schooling as you begin working. They will deduct as reasonable sum from your paycheck for a certain period of years (depending on your salary) until it is paid back. It may not be a perfect system but everyone has the oppurtunity to recieve a university education in Australia.

Add to this that schooling is far more affordable in Australia. I could never imagine having to pay 300K for a 6 year degree. In Australia the average degree is 4 years with the average cost being around 5000-10000 anually. That is far more affordable.
edit on 24-10-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by SpeachM1litant
I don't understand what Americans have against universal education. I believe a good education should be offered even to those who can't afford it. In Australia you have the HECS system which allows you to repay you schooling as you begin working. They will deduct as reasonable sum from your paycheck for a certain period of years (depending on your salary) until it is paid back. It may not be a perfect system but everyone has the oppurtunity to recieve a university education in Australia.

Add to this that schooling is far more affordable in Australia. I could never imagine having to pay 300K for a 6 year degree. In Australia the average degree is 4 years with the average cost being around 5000-10000 anually. That is far more affordable.
edit on 24-10-2011 by SpeachM1litant because: (no reason given)

If I must reincarnate to this God forsaken Earth again...I am going to DEMAND to be an Australian!!!
Or New Zealander cause they got it pretty good too!

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join