It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Police ARE the number ONE enemy to a peacful and free society

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

Originally posted by EyesII

Nobody likes cops except their mom and dad, and thier immediate family. That's it.

Not even. The kids resent them and the spouse fears them thanks to emotional instability and a tendency to self-medicate.

Statistically cops are more likely to me manic angry drunks than the rest of us. And less likely to actually deal with those problems in any helpful way.

For someone who has been around ATS as long as you and has a pretty gold border around your posts you sure seem pretty close-minded to me. You think you’ve got the world all figured out, don’t you? You think the whole world is corrupt and anyone who doesn’t agree with you is misinformed or misguided. Not surprising, really. There are a lot of close-minded people like you on ATS…including me…and I tend to disagree with everything you post. I’d hoped that by the time I’d been on ATS as long as you that I’d be more open-minded. You’ve proven that theory wrong. ('
')

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Then drop the transmission to 2nd gear and let the car slow down without applying the brakes, but keep the car at the speed limit.

What? How do you do that? "let the car slow down . . . but keep the car at the speed limit."

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bkrmn
There's more than a few cops out there who are complete a-holes, and have chosen their career for the badge, the gun, and the power the cowardly sickos need to show how macho they really are! As for the rest? Keep up the good work, and as thankless as it must seem at times, we need you!

yup, need you like a cold baton to the head!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

alcohol abuse in policing

Police stress and effects on the family

Police suicides

Domestic violence among police

RPI Pcysh course covering police mindsets

Sorry if you think an inability to sugar-coat equates to closed-mindedness.

I have personal anecdotes as well but they are worthless compared to hard data.

This is a learned response. Nothing closed-minded about it.

Domestic violence is 2 to 4 times more common in police families than in the general population. In two separate studies, 40% of police officers self-report that they have used violence against their domestic partners within the last year. In the general population, it's estimated that domestic violence occurs in about 10% of families.
In a nationwide survey of 123 police departments, 45% had no specific policy for dealing with officer-involved domestic violence.
In that same survey, the most common discipline imposed for a sustained allegation of domestic violence was counseling. Only 19% of departments indicated that officers would be terminated after a second sustained allegation of domestic violence.
In San Diego, a national model in domestic violence prosecution, the City Attorney typically prosecutes 92% of referred domestic violence cases, but only 42% of cases where the batterer is a cop.

Estimates show that alcohol abuse among police officers in the United States is approximately double that of the general population where 1 in 10 adults abuses alcohol.

I'm just so damn closed-minded in the face of all these stats.
edit on 21-10-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by rebeldog

I put up a Thread about how my city has an extreme amount of competing and overlapping police forces, and yet it was voted 8th most dangerous city in the country. While at the same time, being voted "most livable" city in the country?

Yes, I believe more police = more crime at some point. I'm sure there is also a point where less police = more crime.

That would be a neat college project. What is the ideal police to civilian ratio to maximize effectiveness and minimize crime?

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Then drop the transmission to 2nd gear and let the car slow down without applying the brakes, but keep the car at the speed limit.

What? How do you do that? "let the car slow down . . . but keep the car at the speed limit."

I see left out one point.

I am assuming the reason why the cop is tailgating you (getting a speed reading) is because you are speeding or he thinks you are speeding. So if you are going 65 in a 55 zone, drop the trans down and let the car drop in speed to 55 and then either pop it back to drive, or press on the gas pedal a little harder so you stay at 55.

I like 2nd gear as you can loose speed quickly and also increase speed quickly. The motor revs faster, yes, but that's okay. Car can handle it.
edit on 21-10-2011 by EyesII because: spelling

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

I hear you.

I would expect that the majority of those joining the ranks of police officers did so with some expectation of, and desire to "serve and protect". When you see their Robo-Cop alter egos at work when facing crowds of protestors (peaceful or otherwise), you can't help but wonder what kind of mind control they have been subjected to that to the last person they are devoid of any kind of compassion that resembles serving and protecting. This drone-like behaviour, when protecting the interests of the elite knows no national borders -- I've seen it at work here in Canada. It's as if there is a common master controlling mindless clones no matter where the event takes place.

I have no close connection to any officers that I could ask about methods of training that would numb them psychologically to this extent or at the least blind them to their coldness while in the performance of their duty (especially when doing crowd control of protesters).

In the normal line of duty I would not expect them to be statistically any more or less capable being corrupted by greed or other vices than the rest of us and exploiting the intent of reasonable laws. You'll actually see some of these individuals get rooted out. It's that chilling, unified, compassionless mentality (not to mention the identity concealing gear) when they are doing the Robo-Cop thing that convinces me that something is gravely amiss.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

or, disarm TPTB, without their thugs they have no weapon.

plus, why let the pigs off easy. they deserve retribution

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

when it is possible that a person is not dumb enough to be a cop, or

in other words too smart to be a cop thats really something to wear proudly???

because high IQ people have a unique ability to see through things/connect dots more than others. Of course high IQ people tend to not be cops as long. THEY ARE SMART ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND EXACLTY WHAT MY thread attempts to convey..

thanks for proving my point...............

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

reply to post by seabag

alcohol abuse in policing

Police stress and effects on the family

Police suicides

Domestic violence among police

RPI Pcysh course covering police mindsets

Sorry if you think an inability to sugar-coat equates to closed-mindedness.

I have personal anecdotes as well but they are worthless compared to hard data.

This is a learned response. Nothing closed-minded about it.

Domestic violence is 2 to 4 times more common in police families than in the general population. In two separate studies, 40% of police officers self-report that they have used violence against their domestic partners within the last year. In the general population, it's estimated that domestic violence occurs in about 10% of families.
In a nationwide survey of 123 police departments, 45% had no specific policy for dealing with officer-involved domestic violence.
In that same survey, the most common discipline imposed for a sustained allegation of domestic violence was counseling. Only 19% of departments indicated that officers would be terminated after a second sustained allegation of domestic violence.
In San Diego, a national model in domestic violence prosecution, the City Attorney typically prosecutes 92% of referred domestic violence cases, but only 42% of cases where the batterer is a cop.

Estimates show that alcohol abuse among police officers in the United States is approximately double that of the general population where 1 in 10 adults abuses alcohol.

I'm just so damn closed-minded in the face of all these stats.
edit on 21-10-2011 by thisguyrighthere because: (no reason given)

Nice try, bud. I could google "why it's good to eat dirt" and I'm sure I can find some articles that support it. Your first article is 12 years old anyway. 

Look, I was just pointing out that you've made up your mind and it's now closed. You lump all police officers into this image you have and make generalizations about an entire group of people. I see it because I catch myself doing it occasionally. Not all cops are bad, dude. They're not all corrupt. The majority are good people. I don't know where you live but every time the police have interacted with me it was because I was doing something wrong. 

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Dear rebeldog,

If you thought I was proving your point that police work is mindless and the departments hire dullards, perhaps I didn't communicate well. Please allow me to rephrase my objection.

If a department doesn't want to hire from the most brilliant 2% (according to IQ), that doesn't show that they want to hire from the bottom half. When their policy is to hire from only the top half, that's pretty good evidence that they don't want to hire from the bottom half. For if "dullard" has any meaning at all, it must mean someone slower than average, or someone in the bottom half.

Since the evidence tends to disprove your position, why did you think I was proving your point?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Reply to post by seabag

You're right. They aren't all bad.

Compared to the general population however the institution of law enforcement is very bad.

If I encounter a nice cop, and I have, it's a nice guy who happens to be a cop.

You could say I treat them with the same approach they treat me. Guilty until proven innocent.

I'm sure there are some real nice guys who work in the human smuggling trade too. Does that mean all human smugglers are nice?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by rebeldog
reply to post by DelMar

Do you understand the difference between laws and statutes?

does it register in your brain housing group the concept of enforcing statutes which are the antithesis of what the nation and th constitution stand for?

do you realize that america has the worlds largest prison population?

do you not think that bankster elites have seized control of USA and hide behind the law?

Once again Enabling, benefitting, profiting, discretion, and honor.

and in closing as we seem to just be riding the merry go round, may i ask whose side would you have taken in the 1770's, the kings agents or the patriots?
because my friend, that is the point we are at..

I didn't think it was that difficult of a question. I asked you one question, which you didn't answer and then you posed 5 back to me.

We aren't "riding the merry go round", you are dodging the question. If you don't want to answer, just say so.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by DelMar

I have no reserve in answering your question.

Quite the contrary, I merely pose questions in order to provide an adequate answer with absolute clarity as to my position as it does greatly impact the direction of my topic. That i understand VERY WELL.

Perhaps we need to pin down the direction my answer will lead to. Do you think we are on the same page with regards to having a different interpretation of what a 'lawless society' actually is.

the 5 questions are an attempt to come to a mutual perception of one. After USMC and 2 yrs college (complete waste of time) I chose to once again sign the dotted line, USCG this time. the best phrase that was circulated there is this "perception is reality". I hope you will extend a little leniancy and patience with me here. Suffice it to say, I am ignorant to you and your experiences/background, but I confidently say VERY few have digested more than I with reference to "laws". I was not a boat jocky coastguardsman, I was granted a clearance level beyond TS, was stationed at installations which are somewhat vague in function. get up to speed on Sea Marshals for a start. The Union Jack and its role/significance and I'll just add that it is not a symbol of American origin OR purpose. This is when I was enlightened by 2 things which took me DEEEEEEEEEEEEP down a hole...

a.) the UCC
b.) Maritime Law
and then lead me to this 1.) Corpus diminutia media/minima/maxima : (unsure on spelling) ----- this one will BLOW YOUR MIND. the color of ink used when signing contracts matters..wtf ! huh?

---------------------------> your answer

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

edit on 21-10-2011 by pshea38 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Reply to post by seabag

Compared to the general population however the institution of law enforcement is very bad.

You could say I treat them with the same approach they treat me. Guilty until proven innocent.

I'm sure there are some real nice guys who work in the human smuggling trade too. Does that mean all human smugglers are nice?

The fact that you equate cops to human smugglers in your analogy shows your lack of regard. 

You don't seem to get that for every story of corruption or brutality you hear there are 100 good stories you never hear. Drama and sensationalism sells. Believe what you will but I believe your bias and distrust is misplaced. The good news for you is that, despite your views, the police will still come to your aide when you call. 

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Cry me a river

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Let's ask the residents in Camden, NJ if things are better now that the police force has been reduced by 2/3.
www.freerepublic.com...

Two months after Camden, NJ, laid off 160 police officers, city prosecutors have released a sobering report showing a dramatic rise in violent crime in the drug-and-crime-ridden city of 80,000 residents.

Some places don't need many police officers; some do.
edit on 21-10-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by seabag

Reply to post by seabag

The fact that you equate cops to human smugglers in your analogy shows your lack of regard. 

You don't seem to get that for every story of corruption or brutality you hear there are 100 good stories you never hear. Drama and sensationalism sells. Believe what you will but I believe your bias and distrust is misplaced. The good news for you is that, despite your views, the police will still come to your aide when you call. 

Exactly....

The number of incidents we hear about in the news involving "bad" cops pales in comparison to the number of police officers employed in this country. For each negative thing, there are countless acts of officers saving lives, arresting murderers, rapists, burglars, or putting their lives on the line to protect someone else. Get a grip OP.

I will not argue that there are many officers wearing the uniform that do not have the proper mentality to be doing so. Frankly, I think they hire people at too young an age (usually 21). People at that stage in life, in my opinion, rarely have the maturity and attitude required to do the job properly. What you wind up with is a population of "macho men" (or women) who know little about interpersonal communication and who wind up on some ego trip because they have a badge and a gun.

However, having experience in the profession myself, I can tell you that there are many good people wearing the uniform. I don't care if you don't want to hear that. It's true, and you can't change that. My city was No. 7 on Forbes' list of most dangerous cities this year....and it's been in the top three of Forbes' "most miserable cities to live in" for the past three years. My point is, my city has a lot of a**holes running around killing people, robbing, assaulting, stealing, etc., so I'm certainly glad to have cops on the streets who aren't afraid to take these people down.

posted on Oct, 21 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

I put up a Thread about how my city has an extreme amount of competing and overlapping police forces, and yet it was voted 8th most dangerous city in the country. While at the same time, being voted "most livable" city in the country?

Yes, I believe more police = more crime at some point. I'm sure there is also a point where less police = more crime.

That would be a neat college project. What is the ideal police to civilian ratio to maximize effectiveness and minimize crime?

Welcome to the Forbes list, GetReadyAlready......glad you could join me. It gets lonely at the top, you know....lol

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join