It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporations have been a huge net good to society.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
Sure some of them emit pollutants that harm society or our health, but the good they have added to society has allowed humans to live longer and more comfortably than the history of the world.

Sure their is some corrupt business people, but corporations have drastically raised the standard of living for mankind.

Think of all the great things they have given us. Here are just a few.

1. Cars
2. Cell phones
3. Electricity to the home.
4. Computers
5. Software
6. Medical Equipment
7. Advanced medicine
8. Scientific breakthroughs

Just to name a few.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Depends what you believe is good, not to mention its completely unsustainable in resource usage. And to claim destroying the planet for a few generations benefit. You really do not know how to value the pros and cons or what a corporation brings to the table.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Yes they have been so good not a single person can live without them so good their entire existences depends on them and without them they and their lifestyles wouldn't exist and has evolved to the point where they want all their free crap and don't want to work or pay for them anymore hence the assualt on their existence which means they are assualting their own existences.

There's no such thing as a free ride if they get their way they are going to find out just exactly what that mean's.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
Not all corporations are GE, Monsanto, or BP. Most corporations are Bob's Tool Shop, since incorporating a business gives tax breaks and helps protect against frivolous lawsuits. Corporations aren't evil, only the people running them can be.

/TOA

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
Yes they have been so good not a single person can live without them so good their entire existences depends on them and without them they and their lifestyles wouldn't exist and has evolved to the point where they want all their free crap and don't want to work or pay for them anymore hence the assualt on their existence which means they are assualting their own existences.

There's no such thing as a free ride if they get their way they are going to find out just exactly what that mean's.

Great point, Neo!

It seems that none of these people have visited communist countries to see the effects in real life. Well I have and it isnt pretty. You end up with two classes of people. The ruling class, which makes the 1% look huge, owns and controls everything and the rest of the people who are at the whims of their masters and live in fear of crossing the state.
edit on 16-10-2011 by monkeyfartbreath because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeyfartbreath
Sure some of them emit pollutants that harm society or our health, but the good they have added to society has allowed humans to live longer and more comfortably than the history of the world.

Sure their is some corrupt business people, but corporations have drastically raised the standard of living for mankind.

1. Cars
2. Cell phones
4. Computers
5. Software
6. Medical Equipment
7. Advanced medicine

Just to name a few.
Your gonna get flamed fartbreath lmao. I agree with you. I imagine there are those of us who would rather live in a cave without electricity and hunt for their food with sharpened stick instead of allowing the shape shifting lizard people who run the corporations to control them.....Me, I don't care. Give me my Xbox and some McDonalds and I am happy.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeyfartbreath

Humm interesting, you just made this thread and your first one and is all about the corporations and how good they are, I am going to watch this one, because is going to be very amuzing.

And yes Technology and Sciencehas done great things, but those that manipulate this two amazing fields are the ones that screw everything up for the rest of the people in the name of profits with greed and corruption.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
A corporation is our society's method of organizing group effort. The main benefit of a corporation is that it allows incremental involvement in an endeavor.

Suppose I come up with a virtual carbeurator that gives a car 100mpg gas mileage. So, what am I going to do, build myself a factory and go head to head with Detroit and Asia in a race to build a sportier vehicle. And my one improvement, great though it is, won't guarantee success; since if I neglect to put cup-holders in the design, I'll go bankrupt.

Instead, I can sell my idea to an already existing car company, who makes great ergonomic cup-holders in their cars. And instead of being ripped off with a one-time cash payment, I can insist on being paid in shares of the their car company. That way, bot I and the company have something to gain long-term when my invention helps their car perform better. And if they become the dominant car, my family and heirs will benefit for decades.

Without a corporation, you cannot easily take on investors, or reward others for their contributions to your work, and they can end up taking parts of your company via lawsuit. So corporations allow for a lot of flexibility and different ways to reward entrepreneurship.

But they are only as ethical as their policing.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Humm interesting, you just made this thread and your first one and is all about the corporations and how good they are, I am going to watch this one, because is going to be very amuzing.

And yes Technology and Sciencehas done great things, but those that manipulate this two amazing fields are the ones that screw everything up for the rest of the people in the name of profits with greed and corruption.

Hi Marg!

How do you think we would develop as a society if we didnt have corporation, which are just groups of people who are willing to invest in a common goal with the hopes they will make a return on their investment.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Your mistaking corporations for science. Science existed before the modern incarnation of the corporation. It gave alot of good things to society without the need for corporations.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

Your mistaking corporations for science. Science existed before the modern incarnation of the corporation. It gave alot of good things to society without the need for corporations.

Science creates an idea, a theory, a working model. Corporations take those things and provide the capital to implement those things on a large scale. Do you really think the bunch of scientists that contributed ideas to say the cell phone network would be able to roll out that technology without a corporation to gather the financial resources to implement it?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Correct but it doesn't have to be a corporation. It could be simple commercial association.

During the early years of the US. Corporations had to define an objective (build a bridge, design a car, etc) after that goal was met or a certain amount of time passed the corporation's charter was revoked and the corporation dissolved.

Our Hidden History of Corporations in the United States

* Corporate charters (licenses to exist) were granted for a limited time and could be revoked promptly for violating laws.

* Corporations could engage only in activities necessary to fulfill their chartered purpose.

This kept them in check. Somewhere along the line they broke free from those chains.

edit on 16-10-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

1. Cars
2. Cell phones
4. Computers
5. Software
6. Medical Equipment
7. Advanced medicine

Just to name a few.

Try convincing mother nature next!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by daskakik

That still happens today for certain types of investments. So lets use your idea to build our cell phone network. So we do this short term corp. They build the network and then shut it down. So how does it get customers or payments or pay for or manage maintenance, upgrades, etc?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Americanist

Mother nature loves corporations. The environment would be wrecked without them. There are 7 billion people on the planet. If you had 7 billion people farming individually, heating their homes individually, using the bathroom in nature.. the whole planet would look like Haiti... stripped of all natural resources. Its large corporate farms that gain efficiencies in output year after year that keep the world fed. Its corporations that provide natural gas to your home so you dont have to cut down the trees in your yard to stay warm.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Mother nature loves corporations. The environment would be wrecked without them. There are 7 billion people on the planet. If you had 7 billion people farming individually, heating their homes individually, using the bathroom in nature.. the whole planet would look like Haiti... stripped of all natural resources. Its large corporate farms that gain efficiencies in output year after year that keep the world fed. Its corporations that provide natural gas to your home so you dont have to cut down the trees in your yard to stay warm.

Really? She said that? I'm sort of surprised to be honest... After fracking, raking the oceans bare, and dumping oil and plastics everywhere, I thought she'd be a little PO'd. Not to mention our propensity for wiping out other species.
edit on 16-10-2011 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   

It's not my idea it was the founding fathers to limit the excess power that they saw in English corporations. If you took the time to check the link out you would see that there were other limits placed upon corporations that kept them in check.

Not all businesses are corporations so yes there can be a business that sets up long term services. The corporation could be chartered to set up the network and an unincorporated business to run it after it was set up.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yeah I just asked her again and she said she favors corporations. I asked her to explain and she said it was the lesser of two evils. Its either that or 7 billion people acting on their own and not having the resources to be efficient which would wreak even more havoc on her. She is hoping for a world war, so the humans thin their herd a bit.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by daskakik

It's not my idea it was the founding fathers to limit the excess power that they saw in English corporations. If you took the time to check the link out you would see that there were other limits placed upon corporations that kept them in check.

Not all businesses are corporations so yes there can be a business that sets up long term services. The corporation could be chartered to set up the network and an unincorporated business to run it after it was set up.

What would it matter if it was called a corporation or a business? They are the same thing.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Yeah I just asked her again and she said she favors corporations. I asked her to explain and she said it was the lesser of two evils. Its either that or 7 billion people acting on their own and not having the resources to be efficient which would wreak even more havoc on her. She is hoping for a world war, so the humans thin their herd a bit.

In actuality, you have one of the Rothchild family members on the phone... They're exceptional at misleading the World. This includes disguising their voice of course!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join