It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Corporations have been a huge net good to society.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by monkeyfartbreath

That right there is the problem...want want want shiny things fast cars consume consume consume... I hope nature does thin the herd soon.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Guess we just didn't agree to what fraking the earth means. Doesn't matter. The fact is that they never do it without the protection offered by incorporating.

edit on 16-10-2011 by daskakik because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

That right there is the problem...want want want shiny things fast cars consume consume consume... I hope nature does thin the herd soon.

So when nature thins the heard you dont plan on driving or buying any new stuff. You just going loin cloth and raccoon breast protector? Log cabin, cave, or hut? Hunting with just spears to keep it fairer for the animals or you going to machine your own guns?

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkeyfartbreath
reply to post by Americanist

I need you to show me some proof that cold fusion works, and not from some shady geek fantasy website that thinks everything anyone claims they invented works.

Research the claim I make on palladium first off. I spent the time involved, why not you...

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

So only corporate executives/owners are smart people?

Corporations exist for exactly that reason: to cap risks in a multitude of ways.

Answer the question:

From where do you derive the right to unlimited wealth?
edit on 16-10-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

So when nature thins the heard you dont plan on driving or buying any new stuff. You just going loin cloth and raccoon breast protector? Log cabin, cave, or hut? Hunting with just spears to keep it fairer for the animals or you going to machine your own guns?

I love log cabins and well hemp makes awesome clothing and grows a lot faster than cotton and produces twice as much clothing as wool...I can sew so no loin cloths lol.I also prefer bows and arrows for hunting,,,yes it is more fair. And I can fish too...it doesn't all have to be hunting. Bows and arrows are fairly easy to make.

I knew wood shop and sewing would come in handy.

And no I wwont drive

edit on 16-10-2011 by ldyserenity because: to add.

edit on 16-10-2011 by ldyserenity because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You are also poisoning their water supply and causing manifold illnesses for which you shun responsibility.

Again, there are alternatives to oil and gas, but if you aren't intelligent enough to develop them or are too lazy or cheap to do so, that kind of demolishes your argument about the "most talented".

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Sure some of them emit pollutants that harm society or our health, but the good they have added to society has allowed humans to live longer and more comfortably than the history of the world.

Euww. You're sadly ill-informed. We're in the middle of the NCD Pandemic. ...Chronic diseases are called noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) - most if not all are causes by industrial activities.

Fyi - this will be the first generation where children die before their parents; "This may be the first generation of children that will die before their parents"; and "The Commons Select Committee concluded, shockingly that “this will be the first generation where children die before their parents...".

More on the NCD Pandemic
Once called "diseases of civilization," chronic disease is now pandemic - the leading cause of death globally, killing more people each year than all other causes combined. One third of these deaths occur in people under 60. Chronic disease fatalities are rising rapidly in poorer developing nations; in the richer developed countries, "survival" costs are soaring. Officially called "noncommunicable diseases" (NCDs), the main four are cardiovascular diseases, cancers, diabetes and chronic lung diseases. The World Economic Forum (WEF) adds mental illness to the list, reporting that mental health, "typically left off lists of leading NCDs, will account for $16 trillion - a third of the overall $47 trillion anticipated costs." The WEF states unequivocally, "This is not a health issue, this is an economic issue."

Noncommunicable diseases (NCDs) are the leading causes of death globally, killing more people each year than all other causes combined. ….

Of the 57 million deaths that occurred globally in 2008, 36 million – almost two thirds – were due to NCDs, comprising mainly cardiovascular diseases, cancers, diabetes and chronic lung diseases.1 The combined burden of these diseases is rising fastest among lower-income countries, populations and communities, where they impose large, avoidable costs in human, social and economic terms. About one fourth of global NCD-related deaths take place before the age of 60.

NCDs have become a universal threat. They kill three in five people a year, and 80 percent of the victims in 2011 will live in developing countries. Roughly a third will be younger than 60. Even larger numbers of people are living disabled by these illnesses.

Chronic disease to cost $47 trillion by 2030: WEF

The global economic impact of the five leading chronic diseases -- cancer, diabetes, mental illness, heart disease, and respiratory disease -- could reach $47 trillion over the next 20 years, according to a study by the World Economic Forum (WEF). ….

"This is not a health issue, this is an economic issue ….." ……

….Mental health, which is typically left off lists of leading NCDs, will account for $16 trillion -- a third of the overall $47 trillion anticipated costs.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

And yes Technology and Sciencehas done great things, but those that manipulate this two amazing fields are the ones that screw everything up for the rest of the people in the name of profits with greed and corruption.

Nail on head.You just closed this thread for me, with a single sentence.

Star for you.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
reply to post by blah yada

Thanks, I just had to step out read the entire thread after coming back and our OP member is gone, I wonder what happen.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by blah yada

Thanks, I just had to step out read the entire thread after coming back and our OP member is gone, I wonder what happen.

I think you've all been trolled and punked
and from the OP's posts it's hard to tell if it's a lefty or righty

Bravo!

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The corporate system is unsustainable, unfair, and vastly damaging to people, animals and nature.

We need to get rid of corporations and just have businesses without the limited liability or ability to do paid lobbying and campaign contributions or advertising.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Think of all the great things they have given us. Here are just a few.

1. Cars
2. Cell phones
3. Electricity to the home.
4. Computers
5. Software
6. Medical Equipment
7. Advanced medicine
8. Scientific breakthroughs

Just to name a few.
Errr, actually science gave us that knowledge for free. Corporations monopolized those ideas for immense profit.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Are we really arguing with a guy named "monkeyfartbreath" with no user info whose first post is to rub one off for the glories of corporations?

More than that... am I actually seeing people flocking to his banner?

Good lord, ATS. Lower your standards any further and you'll wake up with sores 'twixt your nethers.

posted on Oct, 16 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Profit is the thing that keeps the economy and progress back. So much could be done if that wasn't the major criteria in corporate decision making. Instead of profit, let the good an idea does society be the determining factor on whether or not it is implemented. Reward all labor and reward accomplishments, milestones etc.. Invent the IPhone? Well then you get to live a pretty sweet life though you don't become a billionaire. At that point you only work if you want to. Thosw who help society the most will still get rewarded the most.

I guess the government would have to have control.for this to work. Since the governement is really the people, I don't have any issue with this arrangemnt. To make it work well you would have to give the people the ability to hold business leaders accountable. For instance, each year the residents in a certain area would vote on the service their utility gave them. If it came back poor, you would simply replace the utility leadership with, with a new crop, picked by the employees remaining, who have a vested interest because a poor result means no bonuses. Same would go for any product you would buy. This would truly let the people decide what they want.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Yeah, like poluting the WHOLE planet with radiation, poluting the atlantic with oil and dispersents, like introducing cancer viruses in vaccines, like building thier own military for war... Etc ... Yeah they are great!!! (sarcasm)
And not one has been arrested.

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by TheMindWar

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

I didn't even bother reading any of the posts because the title was enough to move me to post a reply.

NO THEY HAVE NOT! THEY HAVE BEEN A SHORT-TERM SOLUTION TO PRODUCTION, THAT IS ALL. THERE WILL BE NO FUTURE AT THE RATE WE ARE GOING. THAT CAN ONLY BE CONSIDERED A FAILURE...NET....GROSS.....HOWEVER YOU SLICE IT!

posted on Oct, 17 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

reply to post by apushforenlightment

So how are people going to eat without money to buy food? How you going to get resources to build what you need for your invention? Are you planning on buying a cell phone tower with a truckload of potatoes or something? The world cant function without money unless you went to some sort of global government that claimed ownership to everything in the world. That sounds realllll pleasant.

If the goverment was a real democracy where you had power in the community and not the representation goverment where you yourself voted on the things that was important to you, what would be the problem with goverment owning all production facilities? You still would have to work but the efficiancy bonuses in the factory would mean that you probably would get more time off since all would share the work. No unemployment. When we need water in africa for a drought we build a few nuclear plants down there and use saltremoval plants to irregate africa so they can substain themself. All problems in the world could be solved if it weren't for people being egoistic and not caring for others and not wanting them solved. But the removal of ego would have to be from all inhabitans and if you screw up you would have to lose you privlages.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join