It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street Protester Wants College Paid For Because That's What He Wants

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Now this is just sad.

How many of the protesters do you suppose are as ill informed and selfish as this young man?

At 1:15 in the video you get to the core of his rationale, which is basically :pay for my college because I want you to."

This is why the OWS crowd gets such a bad rep. I don't doubt that the movement has it's fair share of intelligent minds with hearts in the right place, But how can we get behind this as a nation when we see so many of the protesters give the same types of reasons as this man?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by GringoViejo

He gives it a bad name. We should mail him a slap to the face?

+44 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Hell yeah, I'd rather spend taxpayer money educating our country's citizens than killing another country's citizens.
edit on 13-10-2011 by TupacShakur because: To edit my post

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Reply to post by GringoViejo

This guy really doesnt matter. I mean its just his opinion and his personal goal. However I dont think you can judge what he said against OWS because it has no coherent demands or set of goals at the moment. As of right now its basically just addressing a lot of issues within society so it attracts all types of people.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   

You realize that by posting this here you are only furthuring the perception that these people dont know what they are talking about.

There will always be a few people that have little idea what is actually happening. Especially when you are dealing with politics but I think rebroadcasting guys like this is actually doing a HUGE disservice to the many people with justified reasons for being there.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by underduck

Lets put this a bit more eloquent:

He is right...

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
we will be seeing more and more of this from the msm imo, they want to portray the protesters as idiots and irrational and showing this guy just emphasizes that point. pointing out individuals goals in a mob mentality is a way to question their motives and paint them as not for the cause.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
We have illegals come into this country and they get their education paid for. Why are we doing this for people who don't belong here and not for the people that are citizens?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yea what an idiot. I mean the next thing you know someone is going to want to drive their bank and the economy into the ground and expect to have all their losses covered so they can get back to business-as-usual and continue to screw the rest of us... oh wait... my bad...

Well he is rather absurd but if you laid-out on youtube what happened to the economy in this country and how those responsible were later 'dealt with' it would be pretty absurd, too. Only they can get away with it. This toad can't.

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Man, how dare he request the right to a Free Education. He should get a life, join the rat race, indebted up to his eyeballs and become part of the economical machine. He should be forced into hard labour for holding these beliefs, stupid boy!!

Come on people, so what the Politicians, Banks and multi nationals are having our pants down and having their wicked way with us!! Take it like a good citizen and ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
I didnt pay a dime to go to college in fact every semester I had money left over from my grants that helped me pay bills. I just got the pell grant now you have to be low-income to get this and you have to have good grades but it was all free and I went to school for 4 years and it didn't cost me a dime... Now it was pretty much a waste of my time because my schooling in no way has helped me with my jobs but still it was free and I went and had a 3.9gpa so I think I did pretty well...

I don't know if every state is like this and I went to a community college which I think was a very nice school and better then other community colleges that I have seen but hey nothing says you can't move to a different area and go to that community college if its better then the one you live near now.

Also with the amount of scholarships available for things along with grants people should have no reason going to normal schools, now maybe if you want to go to harvard or something you are SOL but if you want an education and can't afford it its out there for you and it won't cost you a dime unless you can afford it then you shouldn't expect it for free.

I do believe though that everyone should have the right to education and I do not think that the grants should be based of your parents income until you are 24, I had issues with that because at a certain point my parents were making to much money for me to qualify for the grant. But because they make money does not mean they have extra to share with me to pay for my college which was the case in my situation so I had to do some special legal paperwork to make it so they did not count my parents as part of me and was able to get my college without having to wait until I was 24.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
I didnt pay a dime to go to college in fact every semester I had money left over from my grants that helped me pay bills. I just got the pell grant now you have to be low-income to get this and you have to have good grades but it was all free and I went to school for 4 years and it didn't cost me a dime...

Let me stop you right there:
WELFARE QUEEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
its not welfare its government education grants that is what they are there for to help people to go school that cannot afford it, I also did work study at school where I volunteering a certain number of hours helping do things at school and that went towards my cost of school also. I was also at school from 11am-10pm at night with breaks in between classes so tell me when I was suppose to be working to help pay for my school? I guess I could have worked after and before school but since I killed myself daily at school doing automotive training that is hard work I preferred to go home and actually get some sleep when i wasn't doing hours of homework

But yah welfare queen sounds about right

link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

I am not opposed to a free education, there is something wrong with a system that has you buried in debt with regressing wages and higher prices. But then you come to another realization that colleges are graduating people like this young man who clearly is inarticulate and has no idea what he is talking about and clearly should be in class. The other issue becomes what do you do with underperformers? Me if I am going to school and I don't have to pay for it, I am out to get the most out of it I can. But this is a real issue you have students that have their way paid for them that have no concern about their grades.

Then you have to face the problem of those that would scam the system. And it is something that happens with things the way they are right now. I will never forget the day I was told I made too much money to get any grants to help me. Only to go to the mall and watch the woman with her friend and her kids on a shopping spree with grant money for classes that she was already planning on dropping out of.

There will always be people that game the system, that is human nature. But before we can say people are entitled to an education paid for by the taxpayer, we have to figure out how to make sure the majority of those students understand that they have the public trust and that doesn't come lightly.

link   
I don't think the issue is whether or not education should be free. This man just wants his paid for because that's what he wants. I support free education 100%, I think 4 years of college should be free whether its a university, technical college, and vocational schools with an option to opt out. I don't see any of that in this man, he's not worried about the "99%" he's worried about himself.

Of course, this is just one young man. But in the pacific northwest, at least, this seems to be more of the rule rather than the exception. Especially with the protests starting up around here outside the Gates Foundation.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Sure let's pay for everyone's education in lieu of welfare, social security, medicare, medicare etc etc. Can't get blood out of a turnip. Poor guy. He's probably struggling with that Columbia University tuition. $30,000 a year will certainly make anyone want to have someone else pay for their education. Try an affordable community college buddy and save the tears for your mommy.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   

I don't think the issue is whether or not education should be free. This man just wants his paid for because that's what he wants.
I also want college paid for for every American citizen becuse that's just what I want. What's so earth-shatteringly ignorant about that?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by dc4lifeskater

Got more out of it than you put in?
Sorry, honey, not interested in your sob story.
You are perpetrating the biggest crime imaginable: Redistribution of wealth.
Other people paid for your education!
(Watch the vid I posted earlier. It's an eyeopener on student loans and corporate welfare)
edit on 13-10-2011 by narwahl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   

This idiot does not belong anywhere near there. go home sheep your not wanted

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
i made a thread last nite with that same video last nite and it got moved.

the dude is clueless and no amount of free cash is going to fix his problems.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join