It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Wall Street Protester Wants College Paid For Because That's What He Wants

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by TupacShakur
I also want college paid for for every American citizen becuse that's just what I want. What's so earth-shatteringly ignorant about that?

Having to ask shows ignorance.
What gives you the right to free college? More specifically, where does the government have the authority to take money from some people in order to pay the college tuition of others?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

critical thinking has skipped several generations of late

couldnt tell anyone what they teach anymore the only thing i took from all my education was

get up early go someplace then go home and if you didnt you got in to trouble.

much like a job.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

Read my statement again. If you LET yourself be dumbed down and absorb all the garbage thats YOUR fault, don't blame it on the source.

It's YOUR mind, don't blame others for it deteriorating.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

critical thinking has skipped several generations of late

couldnt tell anyone what they teach anymore the only thing i took from all my education was

get up early go someplace then go home and if you didnt you got in to trouble.

much like a job.

That is a product of YOUR thought process. You obviously framed it like it was a chore and not an opportunity.
edit on 13-10-2011 by Digital_Reality because: Oh darn..

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by WhatTheory

I also want college paid for for every American citizen becuse that's just what I want. What's so earth-shatteringly ignorant about that?

You wouldn't know what ignorance is if it gave birth to you, the guy desires a better education for his countrymen and you turn around and blast him with ATS slogans.

What gives you the right to free college? More specifically, where does the government have the authority to take money from some people in order to pay the college tuition of others?

Do you not understand that free college is a good idea, that a more highly educated nation and world is a good idea?

Why should governments and taxpayers NOT want this?

So I guess my answer to your two questions would be #1) common progressive sense and #2) the same place they take money from some people in order pay the 12 years of basic education, probably might want to take some of that advice and put some more useful information in those 12 years as well.
edit on 13-10-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Swizzy

yeah well anyone who has every watched a youtube video would disagree

yeah its my mind everyone has free will but some people are born to lead others are born to imitate.

to be fair my blame goes to both the person and the thing on this topic.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

it was a chore lots of work and im still waiting for the day algebra and literature was going to save my life.

for many people all school does its prepare them for long hours little rewards and a lot of bs.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

What makes college any different from the 12 + years of school which people are
already entitled to? What gives government that authority? But actually providing the
leg of education that matters is a taboo and exotic, there is not much common sense to that.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

it was a chore lots of work and im still waiting for the day algebra and literature was going to save my life.

for many people all school does its prepare them for long hours little rewards and a lot of bs.

Exactly why we should provide 4 more years

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by RSF77

Do you not understand that free college is a good idea, that a more highly educated nation and world is a good idea?

Why should governments and taxpayers NOT want this?

So I guess my answer to your two questions would be #1) common progressive sense and #2) the same place they take money from some people in order pay the 12 years of basic education, probably might want to take some of that advice and put some more useful information in those 12 years as well.
edit on 13-10-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

Common sense in my opinion.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Don't knock neo on it, how about the teachers who are sub-par? It's a balance between kids who have no interest in learning and teachers who frankly can't teach. When a student doesn't want to learn they pay the place. But when a teacher is not able to teach the whole class suffers. My overall question is since when has a college education become a right? For some things we need to go back to apprenticeships and trade schools. Colleges just flood the market with people with degrees in fields that don't have a lot of openings. Psychology, criminal justice and other fad fields! I think that I read something about law students suing [
] because the post graduate hiring did not fit what the statistics claimed. Universities exist to continue their existence by making gasp a profit. Said profits go to pay for things like faculty salary, faculty housing and administrative perks.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Do you not understand that is your opinion and it would NOT be free. You would pay for it via higher taxes. Look at the current public school situation. Public schools pay a lot more money per student to educate them than private schools and do a terrible job. Get a job, grant, loan or teach yourself but don't expect me to pay for it.

Again, just because you want it does not mean its legal. You will have to amend the Constitution in order to give the government the authority.

Using your flawed logic, the same could be said for giving me a car and house. Where do you draw the line?

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

People who don't drive have to pay for roads that some fat ass ruins with his Humvee. People who are never in danger have to pay for cops to protect those who are. Vegetarians have to pay for subsidies to meat and dairy industries that they'll never benefit from. Illiterate people have to pay for libraries. I can keep going.

Anybody with that asinine argument of "they stealing mah monies and giving it to others!" when they are living in a modern society simply do not understand how much they benefit from other peoples' money themselves. If you want to live like that, move to Somalia.

Personally, I'm not going to whine about every single thing my taxes pay for to help others because we are all on the same team. You educate more kids and you improve the economy. Simple. You think we are only outsourcing because of the costs? No. We also do it because it's easier to find an educated work force over seas.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Clearly we should spend hundreds of billions on nuclear bombs, weapons, wars and destruction instead. Clearly. How selfish he is. He has no idea what it means to be a 'real' human-being.

We give anyone that joins the military now, a free college education. Most do not deserve it, and a lot do not use it. I would know, since I was in the military.

What difference does it make if you get a 'free' education if you're in the military or not? A lot of kids these days are floated freebies via 'scholarships' because they know how to be sly, devious and 'popular' in their local establishment. Yet they are mostly stone-cold idiots.

I don't get it. I don't see why everyone is insulting this kid. I don't necessarily fully agree that people should be given free college (to an extent), but I don't see the idea as patently absurd like some do, given the current state of the nation.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

You wouldn't know what ignorance is if it gave birth to you

Huh?

Right, let's just give everybody want they want because they want it.

Wow, what a bunch of spoiled little.........

#1) common progressive sense

Oxymoron of the day!

#2) the same place they take money from some people in order pay the 12 years of basic education

Do you know where the government gets money? That money comes from your pocket, or those that work, via taxes and not a magical money tree.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Here you go a few videos that show what is happening at OWS.

These videos are a little spoofy,but notice that no one seems to be able to give an answer as to why they are there.Okay there are a couple,but it looks and sounds more like a Woodstock feel more than a protest. Why is there not a person that would talk for them and actually let everyone know their agenda and yet they don't?

I am not against the OWS idea, but come on they need to be organized not just a bunch of mish mash of unknowing people that don't know the real reason they are even there.
edit on 13-10-2011 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-10-2011 by tsurfer2000h because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

edit on 13-10-2011 by neo96 because: nevermind

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Do you know where the government gets money? That money comes from your pocket, or those that work, via taxes and not a magical money tree.

Actually....

It really does come from a magical money tree, and we call this tree the federal reserve. Though you may go ahead and continue to live in a fantasy world, where only "hard-working people" produce all the money, via taxes. It's just not the way it works anymore.

Not trying to be a smartass, but that's just the way it is, really.

What you are doing is imposing your ideology (hard work, earn, or nothing) on a system that does not use this ideology (print money when we want regardless of other factors, especially when we mess up). You can work as hard as you want in this country, and do everything right, but then 'oops', Wall Street gambles us into a disaster, gets a bail-out, and even gambles away the bail-out. Then you get stuck living in a vacuum, where more and more money gets picked from the 'magical money tree', continually diminishing your 'return on investment' as far as hard work is concerned.

Then along comes 'Occupy Wall Street'.
edit on 13-10-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Do you not understand that is your opinion and it would NOT be free. You would pay for it via higher taxes. Look at the current public school situation. Public schools pay a lot more money per student to educate them than private schools and do a terrible job. Get a job, grant, loan or teach yourself but don't expect me to pay for it.

posted on Oct, 13 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cuervo
People who don't drive have to pay for roads that some fat ass ruins with his Humvee.

This is in the Constitution and therefore legal. It's in article I section 8: To establish Post Offices and post Roads. How does a Humvee ruin the roads anyway?

People who are never in danger have to pay for cops to protect those who are.

We are talking about the Federal Government and not your local/state government. Cops are not funded by the Federal government.

Vegetarians have to pay for subsidies to meat and dairy industries

I don't agree with subsidies and the government should not be in the business of giving them out. One more thing to cut from the Feds.

Look, just because the federal government does some things which are not technically legal does not mean that we should pile upon it with more illegal funding.

that they'll never benefit from. Illiterate people have to pay for libraries. I can keep going.

Personally, I'm not going to whine about every single thing my taxes pay for to help others because we are all on the same team.

Well, you are doing a good job of it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join