It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military Seeks Sensor to Gauge Brain's Reaction to Stories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...
Well, it was a matter of time before this happened, I suppose. I realize its probably not quite perfected yet, but it will be. This is big cause for concern because TPTB can manipulate these situations (as usual) into anything they want it to be.

The DARPA program, titled "Narrative Networks," bases itself on the idea that human brains physically change so as to fit new information into coherent narratives. To date, there has been some research that shows people of different political leanings have brains that function differently, but this program will take this concept further and deeper than ever before. DARPA plans to not only figure out why hearing or reading a particular story may change someone's life, but also plans on developing sensors that can scan people's brains to identify those changes.

So which people of "different political leanings" are they talking about? Conservative? Liberal? Middle of the road? This has so many implications that it is almost unreal. I believe that it will be used on anyone regardless of political affiliation, except for maybe those that are part of TPTB.

Narrative Networks will unfold in two phases. The first will analyze the problem and attempt to forge connections between neurology researchers, computer engineers and social scientists. The second phase will attempt to transform that research into useful programs that military and civilian policymakers can train on social problems like insurgencies.

In other words, they are going to use it to control the masses, which of course has been done before through propaganda, but this is a more blatant attempt at mind control, I think.

Once DARPA's scientists figure out how stories change our brains, they plan on developing ways to measure those changes. Basically, the Defense Department wants a sensor that can tell whether or not someone stopped at a checkpoint has been influenced by radical or violent stories.

So basically, they can pretty much tell who is for and who is against their rule...or who are sheeple and who aren't.
I don't know about you, but this is pretty scary information,

A robot that can tell whether or not you've had an emotional reaction to a book? Forget those drones, this is the kind of out-there fringe science we've come to expect from DARPA.

I think that is probably the understatement of the week. Anyway, I am interested in hearing others' thoughts on this.
edit on 12-10-2011 by Veritas1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
damn right this is scary, if we know this and it is public knowledge, then can you imagine what we do not know?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   
DARPA has been moving in some very un-nerving directions lately. This is a great find, OP! Thanks for sharing. I was really alarmed when I read about their Meme War on social networking sites. Here's a snippet from an article (random site)

“Potent memes can change minds, alter behavior, catalyze collective mindshifts and transform cultures. Which is why meme warfare has become the geopolitical battle of our information age. Whoever has the memes has the power.”–Kalle Lasn

axiomamuse.wordpress.com...

It's a must-read!
Stars and Flags for YOU, my friend!

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
I am even more concerned about what we cannot see or know. If what we are seeing and hearing is disturbing, can you imagine even for a second what these people may really be doing? This is so crazy I don't even want to consider it, and wouldn't except for the fact it is very real.
We cannot dictate to them what to do or not do. We cannot teach them a single thing.
They will do what they will do and we cannot control them. They listen not lest they be annoyed:

"Never try to teach a pig to sing: It wastes your time and annoys the pig....."
DH

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
Link-full

"determine what critical variables are missing from current influence models or must be incorporated into new influence models"

Here's another wide-open venue...
At what point do ethics come into play with this type of research?

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
I do not think there is anything to be overly concerned about if you have firewalled your own mind surfficiently against external manipulation. Those who have not than too bad.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
They already have it.

The reason the Federal Government is forcing Tobacco to have it's nicotine removed is nicotine blocks what they are trying to do.

Start growing your own Tobacco plants.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by explorer14

They have no ethics. They have no morals. They have no hearts. We have ethics, but they don't care about ours because they truly do not have any at all. Sometimes the courts present ethics in decisions, but anything beyond what is released is not known and will never get into a court of law.
DH

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Veritas1

Could this potentially lead to pre-crime? What if one day these scanners are used to determine who is allowed access to Government buildings or into political rallies or speeches? Is there a way for an individual to fight the charges of a scan that suggests the person is a danger to the area? The imagination runs wild with possibilities.

posted on Oct, 12 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
dyslexia?

Military seeks censor to react brains gauging of stories

new topics

top topics

join